PDA

View Full Version : Navy to NG

McNamara
06-25-2006, 23:39
Good day to everybody, I'm looking for a steer in the right direction. I've been researching SF and the Guard for about a year now as the end of my short Navy career approaches. I've recently volunteered for IA orders to Afghanistan for a year, so now I'll have to work a Guard transfer on my spare time while I'm over there; when I get back I'll only have a month left on active duty.

What's my best course of action here? Should I talk to an SF group recruiter, somebody in a specific company, or a different POC altogether? I imagine email will be the best contact method over there, but there are probably DSN phones available too.

I would also appreciate any general advice if someone wants to email me.

V/r,

LTJG Eschenbrenner

18C4V
06-26-2006, 00:07
First you have to find the nearest NG SF unit to you or find a unit you're willing to commute to. After that, talking to a recruiter for that unit is your best bet.

Books
06-26-2006, 22:21
Sir,

I left the NAR at NAS Whidbey Island to go to 19th Group. It's doable. The switch was easy. Find a NG recruiter in the state you want to settle in and they should be able to point you in the right direction. Most states seem have at least an NG SF detatchment. Good luck.

Books

McNamara
06-28-2006, 15:50
Thanks guys. I was thinking the main factor in which unit I choose will be whether they have space for me; but even so I do have a few units at the top of my list (based on where I'd like to move). Thanks again,

LTJG