PDA

View Full Version : Refirb Laptop question

Gypsy
06-25-2006, 18:34
Well, looks like I'm possibly going to be giving notice to my employer at the end of next week to take a new job and when I leave I'll be laptop-less. I don't have a whole lot of money to do this but I will now need to purchase a laptop.

In your opinion(s), what brand would be my best bet for a refirb? A good friend of mine swears by Dell which is an option, I always had one until my company switched to HP as the provider for hardware. Also while I'm still employed at my current company I can get an employee discount through HP, but I'm unsure at this point if that is only on new equipment so I'll have to check on Monday. Unless someone here has one that you'd like to sell me cheeeeeep? :D

My basic use would be MS (Word, Excel etc and is the preferred OS for me) and internet connectivity at this point.

Thanks in advance!

Jack Moroney (RIP)
06-25-2006, 18:40
I am a cyber disaster so my oldest son picks out my computer stuff for me. He swears by Dell and I have both a Dell PC and a laptop and have had no problems with either-other operator headspace and timing:D

Gypsy
06-25-2006, 18:42
LOL! Thanks, COL M!

x SF med
06-25-2006, 18:49
Gypsy-
I've always had good luck with Dell, my current company uses IBM (Lenovo) laptops and due to medical regs, and the image they put on the machines, I have to use that for work related stuff.

Be very careful if you decide to go with a refurb machine - if you have Norton Utils on it - run wipeinfo at GS4 level on all of the 'empty space' - because if it wasn't done before you got it there may be hidden nasties lurking - I even do that for brand new machines that come preimaged, I'm not a fan of viruses or trackware (and yes, mfrs leave trackware on the computers, new and refurb).

Now that my computer paranoia is in the open, back on point. go with what you are comfortable with, and get as much RAM as you can fit into the machine (Gates and Co has not gotten to the point where they have tightend their code, because HDs hkeep getting bigger - so it takes more memory to run the OS and office software). I've used all kinds of laptops - and desktops and my preferences are completely different for each - I like Compaq/HP for desktops and handhelds, but haven't really liked their laptops. I love Dell laptops, but hate their desktops and handhelds...

If it fits your budget and fits your needs and you like it - buy it, you are the one who has to live with it and use it.

OK guys - I'm ready for the flak - even bought some 'Dragon skin" to protect me now that my geek background is out.

Gypsy
06-25-2006, 18:58
Thanks x_sf, appreciate your advice. I don't like nasties either...and have always been careful about sites I visit and attachments etc. But this is all good for me to know, I've not owned my own laptop before so as far as firewalls/anti-virus software etc I'm going to pay attention, and there's some good info already posted here on those subjects too thankfully.

Dell 2

Others 0

chittnp
06-25-2006, 20:14
Gypsy, The funny thing about laptops is that there are only a few actual manufacturers. Nearly all laptops are made by only a handfull of companies, then sold to other companies to be "re-branded" (as HP, Alienware, ETC.). I personally recently bought my dad a new Dell XPS laptop. It is awesome....very light, excellent battery life, a very good all around performer. I actually like it better than my own Alienware laptop which cost more than twice as much. You wont be dissappointed. The only other input I have is to buy a laptop new from Dell, instead of rufurbed. The main reason I say this is because of the warranty situation. When you buy a new Dell, (or HP...etc.) a large part of the overall cost is for the warranty. This is well worth it. My first laptop was a refurbed E-machines, and when it bit the dust just over a year after I got it, the warranty had expired. It wasn't something that could be fixed at any kind of reasonable cost, so I basically payed $1400 to rent a laptop for a year. If I had had the extended warranty I would have been all set. Dell and other major brands (HP, Alienware) will replace/fix your laptop very quickly, because in the end it costs them very little. I really cant stress enough the importance of a good warranty. I hope this helps.

Gypsy
06-25-2006, 20:27
It does, thanks chittnp. I was just wondering about any kind of warranty on refirb's as well.

MtnGoat
06-25-2006, 20:40
My .02

Look they military uses Dell - Desktop and Lap. From using the laptop, we had 6 to 8, we had three hard driver go bad within the first 6 months. The rest of the Company had about 4 bad HD.

We also use Gateways for Language program. Basic system, they all worked well for a good 5 years.

I had Toshiba, I got that a year ago. Loved it. I liked it till my power supply went bad on it the month after my warranty went bad on it. The basics cost for replacement of it was 350 for a new PS, plus $80 to $100 to replace it. I haven't done it yet, we have a desktop and another Laptop.

My side - good luck and make sure you do a good scan on it. Get someone from work or that you know to check all the know places for those "nasties lurking"

Gypsy
06-25-2006, 21:03
Geezzz, a new PS only a month after the warranty expired? Harsh.

Thanks for the tips Mtn Goat, I'll make sure I do so.

chittnp
06-25-2006, 21:06
As far as cleaning out and maintaining a spyware/malware/virus free system, the best tools are free. While I was in school, I supplemented my GI Bill by repairing computers and cleaning them up. I will confess here that I am a super geek when it comes to computers and technology in general.

First, fo rmaintaining a clean system, stop using internet explorer! I highly reccomend firefox. Its infinately more configureable and user friendly once you get used to it, and not subject to the exploitations that internet explorer is.

Next, you can quickly google, spybot s&d, ad-aware, and AVG for free. These are the tools I use both at home on my personal system, and what i use to clean up other people's computers. They are all free in their basic iterations, and work exceedingly well. The trick is to run them regularly...at least once a week.

Mtn Goat, I was able to find a replacement PS for my e-machines laptop on ebay for around $40, Im sure you can find one there for your toshiba. As for raplacent hard drives.....I have built several computers for family and friends ( aproximately 15) and I have ordered all my parts from newegg.com. they are often one of the cheaper places to get parts (for laptops too)

If this reply is out of line...I apologise.

jatx
06-25-2006, 21:07
Do a search for IBM T40's on eBay. There are a bunch under $700. I've had one for 2.5 years and it has been amazing - still going strong after very hard use. The case and hinges are a lot tougher than a Dell, too.

DDD
06-25-2006, 21:15
I have a couple friends who make their living designing software to make soap, toothpaste, and shampoo. They both use Dells and swear by them. I had one for a couple years, gave it to my nephew's wife 2 years ago and she loves it.
DDD

Gypsy
06-25-2006, 21:16
Thanks jatx, didn't even think of ebay, one of my brothers likes the IBM. And you too DDD, I think I'm probably going to highly consider the Dell.

chitnnp, I use both spybot and adaware now, run them both a couple of times per week as well. Once I have my own 'puter I figured I'd give Firefox a try, I can't download too many things on this one since it belongs to the company. I'm an administrator on my laptop but I don't take advantage or do things they don't like.

jatx
06-25-2006, 21:23
Gypsy, if you decide on a Dell, search eBay for stackable coupons. I've had friends get new $800 laptops for around $500 that way.

Gypsy
06-25-2006, 21:37
I love this place! Thanks jatx, I haven't ever used ebay but my brother has so I'll check out these "stackable coupons" you've mentioned. Sounds like that is quite the deal right there.

MtnGoat
06-25-2006, 21:40
Mtn Goat, I was able to find a replacement PS for my e-machines laptop on ebay for around $40, Im sure you can find one there for your toshiba. As for raplacent hard drives.....I have built several computers for family and friends ( aproximately 15) and I have ordered all my parts from newegg.com. they are often one of the cheaper places to get parts (for laptops too).
Thanks for the info - Still looking.

Hoping may to change it out myself too. Looking online for a recall too. Nothing yet.