PDA

View Full Version : Airborne Physical Question

JMH85
06-23-2006, 11:26
Afternoon everybody,

I ran a search on ask.com for information on the Airborne Physical and it came back with some copies of medical forms DD 2808, 2807-1, and SF 88. All these forms were dated between 1997 and 2003. These seemed like they were all copies of forms used at MEPS. I also came across AR 40-501. The below information was listed on AR-40-501 under the Physical Standards for Enlistment, Appointment, and Induction.

-------------------------------------------

2–33. Spine and sacroiliac joints
(See also para 2–11.) The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction are:
a. Arthritis (720). (See para 2–11a.)
b. Complaint of a disease or injury of the spine or sacroiliac joints with or without objective signs that has prevented the individual from successfully following a physically active vocation in civilian life (724) or that is associated with pain referred to the lower extremities, muscular spasm, postural deformities, or limitation of motion.
c. Deviation or curvature of spine (737) from normal alignment, structure, or function if—
(1) It prevents the individual from following a physically active vocation in civilian life.
(2) It interferes with wearing a uniform or military equipment.
(3) It is symptomatic and associated with positive physical finding(s) and demonstrable by x-ray.
(4) There is lumbar scoliosis greater than 20 degrees, thoracic scoliosis greater than 30 degrees, and kyphosis or lordosis greater than 55 degrees when measured by the Cobb method.
d. Fusion, congenital (756.15), involving more than two vertebrae. Any surgical fusion (81.0P) is disqualifying.
e. Healed fractures or dislocations of the vertebrae (805). A compression fracture, involving less than 25 percent of a single vertebra is not disqualifying if the injury occurred more than 1 year before examination and the applicant is asymptomatic. A history of fractures of the transverse or spinous processes is not disqualifying if the applicant is asymptomatic.
f. Juvenile epiphysitis (732.6) with any degree of residual change indicated by x-ray or kyphosis.
g. Ruptured nucleus pulposus (722), herniation of intervertebral disk or history of operation for this condition.
h. Spina bifida (741) when symptomatic or if there is more than one vertebra involved, dimpling of the overlying skin, or a history of surgical repair.
i. Spondylolysis (756.1) and spondylolisthesis (738.4).
j. Weak or painful back (724) requiring external support such as a corset or brace; recurrent sprains or strains requiring limitation of physical activity or frequent treatment.

-------------------------------------------

Back problems run in the family. I’m still trying to find out what exactly my dad and grandpa have. My problem seems to be muscle related, but I don’t have any explanation for why my spine pops. I’m waiting for my dad to get back in town before I go see a doctor and have a X-Ray/MRI done. I’m going to take the above information with me to the doctor, but does anybody have any information on what muscle related back problems they look for when giving the physical. I was unable to track down any information on muscle injuries within AR 40-501. Also, I am still a little unclear on how they deal with past surgery/procedures that fixed problems. If I do have an issue with my back, but it can be fixed, what is the policy on having it corrected before I join?

I know this is a little vague, but I haven’t seen the doctor yet so I can’t really comment on what problem(s) I have, if I have one at all. All I can say is that it’s a frequent pain in the lumbar region. It feels like my muscles are locked down. I try stretching, but when I do that, my spine pops. I’ll report back once I see the doctor. Thanks in advance for any information you can pass my way.

Respectfully,
John

Eagle5US
06-27-2006, 14:04
John...

See 2-33 para J as you have it listed above.
Other thank that-if you have no diagnosable pathological condition you should be fine.
But know this...a rucksack aint light...and you back is the only one you are ever going to get.

Eagle

JMH85
06-28-2006, 11:47
Thanks Eagle,

I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon next Friday. I’ll let you know what we find out.

John