PDA

View Full Version : Crye

NousDefionsDoc
06-17-2006, 20:35
Is it over? I was checking their website. A lot of their stuff is out of stock. You guys think it was a flash in the pan and now they're done?

skibum
06-17-2006, 20:55
Caleb Crye was at Rogers' Shooting School last fall when I went to the carbine course. Apparently he uses the stuff alot (in a training environment) to try to get a better understanding of what the trigger-puller needs. He said that for the forseeable future, almost everything they make goes to (a) military end-user(s). He didn't specify who. It sounded like it would be a looong time before the armor is available to the general public.

However, I can't tell you any thing current, sorry.

ETA: Looks like the shirts are still avalable in many sizes, but the field pants are only available in a few oddball sizes and the combat pants aren't available at all. I can't remember any time when the combat pants were available to the general public.

NousDefionsDoc
06-18-2006, 07:25
There are civies that have the combat pants. If anybody hears, I would love to know which military is using it. I like the pattern and think it's a shame if it didn't get picked up somewhere.

eggroll
06-22-2006, 17:24
the raw material is still going out to the vendors, are you talking about final end-use products?

EGG

NousDefionsDoc
06-22-2006, 20:26
the raw material is still going out to the vendors, are you talking about final end-use products?

EGG
Yes.

JGarcia
06-23-2006, 10:21
Aren't they in cahoots with the Army of Darkness now? (BW) I remember seeing the boonie cap they designed and I thought that the ventilation system is better than the one we use. So I sent them an email a while back and they told me that they would be making some of their stuff in ACU pattern in the future.

Capt_G
06-23-2006, 12:40
I spoke with Gregg Thompson at SOF Week. He told me that they are redesigning the Combat Pant but gave me no idea when they would be available again. They are very busy designing protos for both Army and Marine follow on to OTV programs as well as doing some helmet work.

Karl.Masters
06-24-2006, 12:39
NDD,

My take is that Crye is decisively engaged accross DoD at the moment working individual armor. I know they are involved with the USMC Modular Tactical Vest project, which goes to field trials next month.

Crye also involved in a response to the Army's Next Generation Body Armor project. Caleb was here in No VA last week working that, same week as SOF week, so I can say with certainty that war related efforts are keeping Crye hopping.

Crye also showed us an impressive piece of add-on armor that we were just able to award a contract for. That's part of the helmet work that CPT G is talking about.

I'm hoping that these are temporary growing pains and that they can expand production capacity to keep up with the demands. Think the current situation is due to user demand for high level of innovation that can be seen in the product line. My .02,

Karl

NousDefionsDoc
06-24-2006, 13:14
Thanks for the updates fellows. Good to know they are in the game.

Para
07-23-2006, 04:42
Crye has limited products available. When it states "out of stock" when you look up the product, it's just for that size. You have to enter in your specific size to see availability. There is limited availability on the field shirt. A new batch of field pants are expected to arrive the end of July and combat pants by mid-August. Unfortunately, they do not allow back orders.

From what I have been told, given how horrible the ACU's are as a camoflague pattern and how well the the multi-cam pattern works, there is a push from within for USASFC to go with the Crye uniform. Elements are rebelling against the ACU's given our work enviornment. The pattern does not work and leaves one standing out like a light bulb unless you are in a gravel pit. Some units have already signed off on the switch. Time will tell on this one.

MtnGoat
07-23-2006, 10:12
From what I have been told, given how horrible the ACU's are as a camoflague pattern and how well the the multi-cam pattern works, there is a push from within for USASFC to go with the Crye uniform. Elements are rebelling against the ACU's given our work enviornment. The pattern does not work and leaves one standing out like a light bulb unless you are in a gravel pit. Some units have already signed off on the switch. Time will tell on this one.
Big push at SOCOM level for MC patterns.

The Reaper
07-23-2006, 13:15
Glad to hear it.

I am not a particular fan of MC, but the ACU design and pattern just plain sucks. Much easier to spot studs in the woods with the Army Jammies.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
07-23-2006, 15:37
MC works very well down here.

Surgicalcric
07-24-2006, 09:46
...I am not a particular fan of MC...

TR

Sir:

Whats your problem/opinion with regards to MC and what would be your choice for the new camo pattern?

Just curious.

Crip

Pvt.Tentpeg
07-24-2006, 15:50
I would love to know which military is using it. I like the pattern and think it's a shame if it didn't get picked up somewhere.

I thought I saw a picture of German KSK wearing them Afghanistan. It didn't look like any of their fleck patterns.....but I could be wrong.

JLF
08-22-2006, 11:07
Has anybody heard (good or bad) about Crye's new Armor System? I know they are currently bidding for a DoD contract but I was wondering if there were any reports from the field on the prototypes. I've looked on their website but found info to be scarce.

V/r,

JLF

hoot72
11-16-2006, 06:54
There is a guy who reviews alot of new military gear that comes out and has some good reviews worth reading.

He actually got the crye uniforms, boonie hats, etc from the company for testing and maybe you guys can check it out on his website.

http://www.militarymorons.com/

As an outsider, I sometimes wonder who makes the important decisions on uniform designs such as the ACU...fair enough it looks nice, but if it isnt practical or it wasnt suitable for desert use, why on earth didnt they realize this during the testing phase, which I assume they had?

Razor
11-16-2006, 16:12
Hoot, thanks for the heads up, but you may notice if you look around that Military Moron is not only a well-known entity here, he's a PS.com member.

hoot72
11-17-2006, 04:51
Hoot, thanks for the heads up, but you may notice if you look around that Military Moron is not only a well-known entity here, he's a PS.com member.

Sorry bout that....didnt know....

militarymoron
11-22-2006, 23:58
well i wouldn't go so far to say that i actually test them. i stand in front of my garage door and get my wife to take pics of me so you guys who have good clear pics to judge for yourselves if they'll work for you. and of course, i'll try to add whatever info i can and throw in my own .02.
but thanks for the mention - i always appreciate it.

MtnGoat
03-20-2007, 16:36
FYI to ALL:

My wife ordered me a ICE Tactical belt back in Nov (17 Nov 06) as a Christmas persent. Well to DATE I or we have yet to get it. We started out by emailing them to see what the back log was. See they state on their web site that there is currently a 6 week back ordered. My wife was fine with this, But back in Jan she started to email to find out what the status was. She got nothing. Then it turned to "Hey if you can't get the order here by Feb 14 then please let me know." After which she just wanted her money back to get me a belt from SOFTECH or TT or somewhere else. Ice Tactical never emailed here back, I started to email them, she started to call them. I have called them twice over this and nothing to date.

So if you are planning on getting something from them (ICETACIAL.COM) think about the back log and Costumer service. I'll let you know when I get my belt or money back. off to call them again. BTW - there number is to a answering machine.. shows how much they care about their costumers.

If you like Cyre pattern camo , like I do, go with HSGI, TT BD Tactical or someone that makes there own stuff!! HSGI & TT is where I go to now for Crye pattern gear.

NousDefionsDoc
03-20-2007, 18:13
FYI to ALL:

My wife ordered me a ICE Tactical belt back in Nov (17 Nov 06) as a Christmas persent. Well to DATE I or we have yet to get it. We started out by emailing them to see what the back log was. See they state on their web site that there is currently a 6 week back ordered. My wife was fine with this, But back in Jan she started to email to find out what the status was. She got nothing. Then it turned to "Hey if you can't get the order here by Feb 14 then please let me know." After which she just wanted her money back to get me a belt from SOFTECH or TT or somewhere else. Ice Tactical never emailed here back, I started to email them, she started to call them. I have called them twice over this and nothing to date.

So if you are planning on getting something from them (ICETACIAL.COM) think about the back log and Costumer service. I'll let you know when I get my belt or money back. off to call them again. BTW - there number is to a answering machine.. shows how much they care about their costumers.

If you like Cyre pattern camo , like I do, go with HSGI, TT BD Tactical or someone that makes there own stuff!! HSGI & TT is where I go to now for Crye pattern gear.
I have one from Diamondback Tactical. You might have to wait a bit for it, but they won't screw you.

Smokin Joe
03-20-2007, 22:09
FYI to ALL:

That is about the 25th report I have read or heard about where ICE Tac has screwed someone over. Looks like I will treat them like BOTACH.

82ndAA
06-23-2007, 12:17
Elements are rebelling against the ACU's given our work enviornment. The pattern does not work and leaves one standing out like a light bulb unless you are in a gravel pit. Some units have already signed off on the switch. Time will tell on this one.Or, if you want to hide on a couch.;)
http://www.soldiersperspective.us/images/December2006/ACU.jpg

Can you guys wear Crye for your missions if you want to? Or are you forced to wear Army authorized cammo? Just curious.

kgoerz
06-23-2007, 16:17
FYI, Crye will sell Multi cam by the yard to civilians. I know a while back you couldn't get the stuff. About $12 a square Yard.
Would love to get my hands on the Marine pattern in Cordura. I don't know how or why, but it's restricted.

eggroll
06-26-2007, 12:27
actually it would be 36" by 58-60" for that MC swatch

Basschild
07-02-2007, 22:29
I personally really wish the the MC pattern had been chosen instead of ACU. A bunch of my friends that I was in the service with tried to get ahold of full field uniform and it ended up taking them about six months and even then only on person was able to get sizes that fit. They called Crye and they said it was mainly do to public demand and contracts with the military, what military I am not really sure.

One way you can get a uniform is from http://www.afmo.com/. They just buy the material from Crye and make it to the armies uniform standards for the ACUs. They said it was pretty quick shipping except for one marines that gained a ton of weight after he got out so he needed a pretty large size. But even then they just called then and got the exact date that they would be shipped out. All quality stuff I actually like them

But I saw them running around in the woods and it is really hard to make them out but on the down side even a little bit of any other colors or patterns makes you really easy to spot. One of the guys was wearing a tan ball cap and I could spot him pretty easily. But on the up side if all your gear is MC you are really hard to spot. I could just be out of practice but about four guys in a wedge ended up moving right next to him and had no idea he was even there.

So yeah thats my two cents.

militarymoron
07-03-2007, 00:17
They called Crye and they said it was mainly do to public demand and contracts with the military, what military I am not really sure.

the U.S. military. the stuff that you see for sale on crye's website is the tip of the iceberg. i don't know why people assume that all they see in the public domain is all that's going on. it's like assuming that everything about what the CIA does is on their website.
making stuff to sell to the public is only a small percentage of what they design and manufacture. most of it is for the U.S. govt - different branches of the military as well as govt agencies. and a lot of it ISN'T in multicam, nor is it labeled 'crye'. trust me on this one - i've been to their facility.
crye just doesn't make a habit of advertising who they make stuff for.

The Reaper
07-03-2007, 07:45
crye just doesn't make a habit of advertising who they make stuff for.

That is a good way to keep those contracts, as well as not jumping on the "Used by SOF, SF, SEALs, Delta, and the CIA" bandwagon that some unscrupulous vendors push.

TR

eggroll
07-11-2007, 12:07
One way you can get a uniform is from http://www.afmo.com/. They just buy the material from Crye and make it to the armies uniform standards for the ACUs.

So yeah thats my two cents.

AFMO sells the TRU Spec brand, it is not made in house.

MtnGoat
07-15-2007, 20:08
This Company SUCKKKSS!!!!!!!

My wife ordered my a ICE Belt last November and we have yet to get it from them. No returned Emails or Phone calls. She filed a BBB form.. still nothing. If you want their stuff, you better be on a Mil Contract or get from elsewhere.

My .02!

hoot72
07-16-2007, 23:53
You can buy Crye uniforms in Bangkok though not the same quality of material..and it doesnt have the knee padding....

Fiercely Loyal
07-17-2007, 01:56
AFMO sells the TRU Spec brand, it is not made in house.

I bought a pair of these and they are better than the ACUs. They are a bit heavier material and the Velcro in the pockets is much heavier duty.

eggroll
07-18-2007, 11:00
This Company SUCKKKSS!!!!!!!

My wife ordered my a ICE Belt last November and we have yet to get it from them. No returned Emails or Phone calls. She filed a BBB form.. still nothing. If you want their stuff, you better be on a Mil Contract or get from elsewhere.

My .02!

which company sucks? If you're referring to Crye, they do not make the ICE belt, they make the BLAST belt which is markedly different

crash
07-21-2007, 22:19
I bought a pair of these and they are better than the ACUs. They are a bit heavier material and the Velcro in the pockets is much heavier duty.
I have a set as well, very impressed, material is tougher and more comfortable than the ACU.
Only bad part I've noticed is the velcrow goes completely across the cargo pockets, great for keeping things in, but hard to get the pocket open to get things out, loud too.

I still like buttons, buttons and the elastic cord would work nicley, perhaps work out a way to have the velcrow as a secondarly if you won't be needing acess?

I've tried finding a place the could sew buttons into my acu pockets in a way they wouldn't be seen but most say they don't have the equiptment to do it..

MtnGoat
07-22-2007, 10:11
which company sucks? If you're referring to Crye, they do not make the ICE belt, they make the BLAST belt which is markedly different
Egg,

I stand corrected.. Its Integrated Combat Equipment that Sucks. Your right on who make which belt. My wife ordered the one from ICE, their Combat ICE Belt. (http://www.icetactical.com/battle-belt.html). All I can speak of is ordering through ICE. Never recieved my belt, and have called, emailed and done the BBB Memo.

I will say, the Crye items I have seen and used are great. Can't say which one they where all from. So many different Companies are buying their (Crye) Camo. Their Baby Armor is the heat. Got to see it and I like it. The side "Clips" are the only thing I didn't like really. But the end user said not problems with it during training. He liked it. From what I could tell, everyone did too.

VG

NousDefionsDoc
07-22-2007, 10:13
I have two sets in OD I use for work sometimes. Good quality stuff. They are coming out with MC - in fact it is already out in at least one place.

The Reaper
07-22-2007, 12:13
My only gripe with the Crye is the cost.

Damn, that stuff is pricey!

TR

crash
07-22-2007, 17:17
Has anyone here tried out the acual Crye MC uniforms??
How do the sizes run? I like the design but I have the feeling that due to the agressive cut they won't fit me very well as I have huge legs; even in acu's I have to get a size larger than my waist so they fit me in the legs.

TitratetoEffect
07-22-2007, 17:51
Crash,

The Combat Shirts run small so I had to get a size larger than my BDU's. I usually wear a Med Reg in BDU's and got a Large in Crye. Crye also makes the Combat Shirt so that it is loose fitting which I found better while wearing body armor. The tight fitting shirt is ok and it is similar to the fit of Under Armor with MC sleeves.

The pants run a little large. I wear between a 32 to 34 waist depending on how long I am home, and got a 32 Combat Pant. They are a little snug but loosen up once out in the field. I understand that they are redesigning the pants at this time, so I don't know what they are like yet. I may be getting them soon so I will let you know. I hope that helps.

Phil

kgoerz
07-22-2007, 20:01
I tried to order some Multi Cam Cordura from them three times. Every time they said my billing address was wrong. Thing is its the same address I use everywhere else with no problem. When I called the girl insisted I was the problem. I asked if she could please check because I use that address everywhere else. She insisted my address was wrong even after reading the correct address back to me.
I guess I will have to get the gear made in plain old Ranger Green. See what happens when one company controls the worlds Multi Cam. I miss the power I had with the Govt credit card. If it was a Govt credit card they would of had the president of Cry calling to apologize.
I use to love to watch the change of attitude in clerks when they realized you weren't just buying something for yourself but looking to outfit an entire Company with their product. Even thou it was a little more expensive we always would purchase locally before using the Internet. We liked supporting the local economy. Most times they matched the Internet prices when we told them this anyway.

Fiercely Loyal
07-23-2007, 04:22
I have two sets in OD I use for work sometimes. Good quality stuff. They are coming out with MC - in fact it is already out in at least one place.

NDD,
I bought the OD and the MC. I liked the OD pair better because they were lighter than MC. MC pair were very similar to winter weight BDU trousers. I wore the OD pair for the same amount of time and they seemed to breathe more. www.LAPolicegear.com is where I made my purchase. MC was $65 just for the trousers though.

FL

Max_Tab
10-03-2007, 09:58
I heard a rumor today and doubt it's authenticity but thought I would ask.

Is the Army moving to the multicam and getting rid of the ACU. I doubt it just because of the cost but would love for this rumor to be true.

Thanks

MtnGoat
10-03-2007, 16:51

Is the Army moving to the multicam and getting rid of the ACU. I doubt it just because of the cost but would love for this rumor to be true.

Rumor I've heard is not the Amry but USSOCOM elements.

USSOCOM will fund the R&D then the Amry will pick up the fielding after we have gotten them. Well after every other USSOCOM unit then SF Grps will get them. My Rant.

But thats what I've heard.

37F5V
10-03-2007, 16:52

Thanks

I heard the exact same thing today from one of my SSGLs (from his BN S4)who is taking a Company in the 95th. Like you I am suspect due to the amount of money put into the ACU.

NousDefionsDoc
10-03-2007, 19:46
You gotta be shittin' me....

kgoerz
10-03-2007, 21:10
For those of you who received the message stating your Billing Address is incorrect when placing an order on line. I finally talked to some at CRY and had it explained to me. CRY has a more strict security system since they were hacked a while back.
The system CRY uses sends a shot back to your Bank verifying the Address. But some Cards or Banks don't except these double checks because of their own strict security measures, BOA for one. Cant bitch about my Bank being careful.
All you have to do is call your Bank or card and tell them to except the CRY verification. Or talk the person you are talking with to call. Especially if your oconus and calling is difficult. After this you are good to go as long as you use the same Card.

Para
10-04-2007, 05:49
Multicam was initially designed as the Scorpion pattern under the Land Warrior project. Because of this, I would imagine that some of the basis of the rumor starts from here. Will it be an Army uniform? Given the amount of money spent on the ACU. I highly doubt it. The Army has gone so far as to authorize all soldiers to be issued, free of charge, 12 sets of ACU's during the course of the career. Personally, it doesn't matter who many sets they issue, a POS uniform is still a POS uniform that only works in a gravel pit.

There are elements within USSOCOM who have said no to the ACU and switched up. One of the reasons why Crye has a hard time filling commercial orders. Several additional elements have made the request to USASFC and USSOCOM to make the switch and it resides at one of those G/J "insert number here" levels. The final question is will someone sign off on it. I have a set I took to A-stan and they work great. When we got home, we ordered material from Crye and built guille's out of it.

The Reaper
10-04-2007, 06:54
I like their stuff, but think it is way too expensive.

The ACU is a POS, was known to be a POS while in development, and continues to be an expensive POS.

I do not like the uniform itself, or the camo pattern, even if it was free issue, and in many cases, it isn't.

IMHO, the LW BDU/DCU, especially the modded version, is superior in all respects, unless you are flying a desk and need to change something to put on your report card.

In my world, I would make the modified BDU in Crye camo on 100% cotton poplin ripstop, and be done with it. That would be much more utilitarian than the ACU jammies, and a much better camo pattern as well, in almost all environments.

Agreed that with what the Army has spent already, and the cost to both the soldiers and the Army to change the clothing bag, the ACU is going to be the Army issue uniform for a long while. And that is a shame.

TR