PDA

View Full Version : parental web filtering programs

MtnGoat
06-12-2006, 16:06
Okay didn't find anything by searching for Cyersitter or WEB Nanny or parental web filtering programs. Yes, long, but you get what I'm looking for.

I use AOL for my kids.... but my (our) Explore is what I need something on. So who uses what and how well does it work?

The one thing I dislike about AOL Parental controls (Filtering) is that the ones that SE version has don't work as well as it states it does.

Meaning: When I set up the web sites for my kids to visit, AOL doesn't let them go to them without my password or wife's. The way it was to work is the ones we input what let the kids visit on their own. But it doesn't work that well. I really don't like this, but it works to a point.

I'm looking for one that does do what it states. I want to be able to type in the web sites that my kids can visit. If it not on the list, than go to the password so we can add than or stop the kids from going to them.

Looking for YOUR .02 on filters programs.

Thanks

eva05
06-12-2006, 16:41
How resourceful/computer savvy your kids are, there are tons of sites out there that will encrypt all your content, or route it through a third party site that defeats any tools to filter content.

I don't recall the names of any off the top of my head, but they are out there.

My first experience with these sites/tools were when people used them to circumvent the Chinese government "lock down" on the Internet. I work at a company called AVM Software and we offer a video chat program called Paltalk. It had a large market in China and Vietnam till both governments shut us down, locked our IPs from working anywhere in country.

Within a few weeks the users were all back online, circumventing the government lock downs using stuff like this.

j

MtnGoat
06-13-2006, 17:18
How resourceful/computer savvy your kids are, there are tons of sites out there that will encrypt all your content, or route it through a third party site that defeats any tools to filter content.

Within a few weeks the users were all back online, circumventing the government lock downs using stuff like this.

j
EVA Thanks

Can't see my kids circumventing anything I put on our computers, (7 and 8 Y/o) if they do. I need to relook at the Pulbic Schools here in NC. They suck .. so my kids are wiz. :D

Anyways - really looking to block them from the "old" kids on the street that come over to play and look up "Cheat" Codes. I don't want a older kid looking at other "things" on the web around my kids. They use the Explorer, so thats what I want to to stop.

Thats for the info, it could be helpful elsewhere. :rolleyes:

PSM
06-13-2006, 17:37
You might take a look at this: http://www.iphantom.com/iBossProduct.html

I didn't use any blocking with my son. The computer was in an alcove off the living room and I just watched over his shoulder, so to speak. I've heard good things about the above listed device.

Good luck!

Pat

Kyobanim
06-13-2006, 17:46
Get a linksys router and use it to filter the sites. if you have several PCs you can block the sites from one system and not the other. It's pretty stright forward. Or you can use the filter that is inherent in IE.

Best thing is to put the PC in a room where the parents always walk through. That's what we did and it works like a charm.

MtnGoat
06-13-2006, 18:52
Get a linksys router and use it to filter the sites. if you have several PCs you can block the sites from one system and not the other. It's pretty stright forward. Or you can use the filter that is inherent in IE.
Thanks for the INFO Kyobanim we have a WRT54G. I'll look that up.

Best thing is to put the PC in a room where the parents always walk through. That's what we did and it works like a charm.
When we are home its find, it the times we are outside or really babysitters!! yeah- we had that talk already..

Thanks