PDA

View Full Version : MRE Recipe Contest

Roguish Lawyer
06-12-2006, 13:44
Who has the best recipe using only MRE ingredients? Winner gets a prize from me. We will have a poll to decide the winner from among the best entries. :munchin

Simple Simon
06-12-2006, 14:12
How many entries? 1 per person??

jbour13
06-12-2006, 14:40
Who has the best recipe using only MRE ingredients? Winner gets a prize from me. We will have a poll to decide the winner from among the best entries. :munchin

Mine is fairly simple and nothing special, but requires at least an MRE with ham slice (don't remember if it's made anymore?), 1 pack of buttered noodles and 2 packs of cheese.

Heat and mix all three main ingredients in the outer MRE wrapper to make a simple ham casserole. You can add tobasco if you'd like but this is not bad.

I've only had the oppurtunity to eat a whole MRE a few times. Most other times it's bits and pieces and cold. I'm sure a troop or two here can relate. ;) :D

Roguish Lawyer
06-12-2006, 14:49
How many entries? 1 per person??

Correct. Pick your best one.

sf11b_p
06-12-2006, 14:58
Oops, never mind.

Simple Simon
06-12-2006, 15:13
Apple Cobbler: Heat one packet spiced apples, add one pack regular crackers(not vegetable), add 2 packets creamer, and 2 packets sugar, stir and add water for desired consistancy and to soften crackers, stir vigorously and you will think your back home eating you mother's apple cobbler minus the vanilla ice cream.

x SF med
06-12-2006, 16:12
hey RL - will you accept recipies for multiple C-Rats - I've got a great 'Ranger Stew' recipe - can you even find C's anymore, or LRRPs.

C's did make for a heavy Ruck, and noisy too if packed wrong. But, Chocolate Nut Cake or the Peaches, Quartered in Heavy Syrup almost made up for it, almost....

We only had Gen 1 and Gen 2 MREs while I was in, tasted like the wrappers.

Roguish Lawyer
06-12-2006, 17:52
hey RL - will you accept recipies for multiple C-Rats - I've got a great 'Ranger Stew' recipe - can you even find C's anymore, or LRRPs.

C's did make for a heavy Ruck, and noisy too if packed wrong. But, Chocolate Nut Cake or the Peaches, Quartered in Heavy Syrup almost made up for it, almost....

Sure, can't discriminate against the FOGs!

mffjm8509
06-12-2006, 18:58
Take one main meal pouch (insert your favorite here).

Tear open along one side.

Eat with included spoon.:p

mp

Goggles Pizano
06-13-2006, 00:03

mp

:D ......hungry is hungry-could care less how it's prepared!

12B4S
06-13-2006, 00:07

I had a case of C's up until a year ago. I had them since 1970. :D The Pound Cake was a favorite. I thought the LRRP's were pretty good. Whether it were C's or LRRP's, Tabasco was the fix all. Is that still common today with the MRE's? Well at least it's a simple recipe. Almost as simple as mffjm's. ;)

x SF med
06-13-2006, 10:27
Ok, my favorite recipe-
open one can "Eggs, Chopped with Ham" (ususally green and smelling sulfurous, like the food from hell it was), overturn can, dump into slit trench / cat hole, bury. Find something else to eat. Save can for use as a C-4 stove.

Team Sergeant
06-13-2006, 10:36

mp

The only thing I'd add to that recipe:

for a hot meal, place main meal in pocket for 1 hour, remove and serve immediately.

brewmonkey
06-13-2006, 13:30

mp

Save spoon for later on!

x SF med
06-13-2006, 14:41
Brew-
drill / burn hole in spoon handle, and hang on dog tags next to P-38 (that pokes holes in your chest, but is indispensible if you ever need to open any type of can) and St Michael Medal.

Now for an old MRE recipe:
beef stew, crushed crackers, cheese and tabasco - actually pretty good

Pete
06-13-2006, 14:56
Sure, can't discriminate against the FOGs!

Drop a can each of Ham Slices and cheese into a canteen cup or squad stove cover, add water and bring to a boil. As it is heating open a can of crackers and lay out the crackers.

When your coffee water is ready take out the two cans and open them with your P38. Lay out the ham slices on the crackers and dribble the cheese over the top, add hot sauce to taste and enjoy.

Since you drink your coffee black you have leftover creamer packs. Round them up.

Before you down the last of you coffee open up a pound cake and a can of peachs. May need to bring a buddy in on this in order to get both cans and extra creamer. Slice the pound cake thin, about four will do and lay out. Cover with the peachs. Mix the creamer with water until it looks like cream and pour over the peachs and pound cake. Enjoy.

Life don't get no better than this.

Pete

x SF med
06-13-2006, 15:04
Drop a can each of Ham Slices and cheese into a canteen cup or squad stove cover, add water and bring to a boil. As it is heating open a can of crackers and lay out the crackers.

When your coffee water is ready take out the two cans and open them with your P38. Lay out the ham slices on the crackers and dribble the cheese over the top, add hot sauce to taste and enjoy.

Since you drink your coffee black you have leftover creamer packs. Round them up.

Before you down the last of you coffee open up a pound cake and a can of peachs. May need to bring a buddy in on this in order to get both cans and extra creamer. Slice the pound cake thin, about four will do and lay out. Cover with the peachs. Mix the creamer with water until it looks like cream and pour over the peachs and pound cake. Enjoy.

Life don't get no better than this.

Pete

Hey Pete, did you carry a plate in your ruck? or did you do the multiple canteen cup (not the new ones, the old steel with the handle that folded under the cup) thing - one for coffee, one for food - and the confiscated mess hall spoon rather than the plastic? Amazing how the chow hall went light on spoons right before a Deployment.

Pete
06-13-2006, 16:23
Hey Pete, did you carry a plate in your ruck? or did you do the multiple canteen cup (not the new ones, the old steel with the handle that folded under the cup) thing - one for coffee, one for food - and the confiscated mess hall spoon rather than the plastic? Amazing how the chow hall went light on spoons right before a Deployment.

This is for the guys that never lived out of a canteen cup.

Most everybody I knew carried two canteen cups. Used as needed. One plastic spoon. Long field problems and I would carry a small non-stick fry pan, the lightest I could find. That thing made it around the team circle many a time. Most of the time it came back greasier than when it went out.

Cooking small cans was done in the drinking water. When eating Ramen we cooked it in the canteen cup and then made a cup of coffee to "clean" the cup. When they first came out I got a two cup insulated green mug from Cabela's. I carried that during winter ops for years. I'd boil water for coffee and mix it in the mug and then cook chow. That kept the coffee hot even at 20 below.

The unending debate was over field stoves. I still have the grasshopper that I used for years. Three bottles of propane would last a long time. One guy would carry the stove and bottle, his pard would carry the two extra bottles.

The three main types of stoves were bottled propane, like the grasshoppers, bottled butain, I think the stove was G-az, and the gas burners like the squad stove.

All had their pros and cons. Butain sucked at 20 below, Propane didn't last as long and gas needed to pre-heat the tube, not good at night.

Commo guys slept with their batteries, boots and canteens while everybody else was sleeping with their canteens, boots and gas bottles. Oh, well.

Pete

x SF med
06-13-2006, 16:52
Pete-
you guys didn't use C-4 stoves, or the hexamine tabs in a similar configuration - light and no sleeping with a cold steel bottle - of course you did have to be very careful about putting either one out - one would go boom, the other would just stick to your boot and burn right through.

Stripped C's in socks, ramen wherever it fit, and a couple of lrrps in the bellows pockets for e-n-e chow. I actually had one of the old steel canteens, pop the top and you could get 3 cups of that horrible mocha-java (coffee,sugar,creamer,cocoa) out of it at one time. Ahhh, lukewarm lrrps under the t-shirt, held in place by lbe.

Pete
06-13-2006, 17:30
Pete-
you guys didn't use C-4 stoves, or the hexamine tabs in a similar configuration - light and no sleeping with a cold steel bottle - .......

For general training C-4 was not available and hexamine/heat tabs were too slow. We used the field stoves in the Camps and in the field.

One time me and Mike L. were G's for Phase III. He had one of those Peak stoves with the full metal case. We mixed up some chicken chunks and chicken bouillon with some water and set it on the stove. While it heated we mixed up some Bisquick in the other half. When the water mix came to a boil we spoon dropped the Bisquick dough in, washed out the half, set it on top and turned the heat waaaaaaay down.

A smell started to wafe through the camp and we must have had about ten G's and students come sniffing up like dogs. Their eyes about popped out when we cracked the top and split it up in the two pieces. Oh, yeah, the spoons were coming out. We did share and they were amazed we could cook up stuff like that in the field.

Not hard when you're a G and not busting your ass with team equipment. Our rucks were filled with neat suff. The lads were always wondering just what we would pull out next.

Pete

12B4S
06-14-2006, 00:45
Interesting how this thread was subtlety hijacked by FOG's. ;)
Anyone want to trade a Pound Cake for a can of Ham and MFs?

I suppose Gluwein doesn't count.

Notice RL, I'm tryin' to bring this thread back on track. It wasn't me. Alright. So it didn't concern MREs'. Giving it a shot though. :D

Pete
06-14-2006, 04:32
Interesting how this thread was subtlety hijacked by FOG's. ;)

I suppose Gluwein doesn't count.

Notice RL, I'm tryin' to bring this thread back on track. It wasn't me. Alright. So it didn't concern MREs'. Giving it a shot though. :D

Guys

It seems like every year I read in the Army Times where they have new meals for the MREs. Other than being in a brown plastic bag none of the meals sound anything like what us older guys had in the first couple of versions. Dried pork patty anyone? Oh, that one sucked dry, sucked soaked and really sucked when heated.

They keep trying to get something with a fancy name and put it in a green foil pack. That dog just don't hunt.

Come on, just put real food in the bags and lots of hot sauce. I've come into a bag or to over the last few years and no matter what it said on the outside it looked like mush on the inside.

They talk about troops getting bored and not eating. Thats why they have to make the meals interesting. The MREs are combat rations, not daily rations.

You don't need the latest hip rations to get troops to eat, you need to push down and out unit rations. I think they still call the squad size rations Tray Paks? They are far more interesting than plain MREs.

Both conventional and SOF units should push down good chow as far as they can. Any unit that just throws out MREs all the time is lazy.

Pete

Who traveled with about 40 SF guys and a cook more than once.

x SF med
06-14-2006, 06:43
Interesting how this thread was subtlety hijacked by FOG's.

12B- experience in UW situations, and the field, with cans of alpo, forced us to become much more creative with our chow than the new guys.

I agree w/ Pete - we had those first 2 generations of MREs - with all the dehydrated crap - once you ran out of water - you were in really deep Kimchi, you couldn't eat, unless you wanted to dehydrate. Actually we used to mix the old MREs with C's.... and LOTS of Hot Sauce

Don't dis the Ham and MFs - or I'll make you eat Eggs, Chopped with Ham (shuddering, thinking about the one time I made that mistake)

lksteve
06-14-2006, 07:46
for a hot meal, place main meal in pocket for 1 hour, remove and serve immediately.or place main meal between exhaust manifold and engine block...serve when stopped...

Pete
06-14-2006, 08:26
[I][SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"]
Don't dis the Ham and MFs - or I'll make you eat Eggs, Chopped with Ham (shuddering, thinking about the one time I made that mistake)

Beef with Spice Sauce eaten cold. That red grease was hard to lick off the spoon. In fact all the grease in the Cs was industrial strength and hard to lick off the spoons. (SF spoon cleaning technique - lick until it looks clean and stick it in the top pocket until needed again).

All the little cans went down better when heated.

Choc. Nut Role and Pound Cake could be made better by punching a very small hole in the top, adding a few drops of water and then putting on a stove for a few seconds. Took a little practice and wasted the first few but steamed them up pretty good.

Roguish Lawyer
06-14-2006, 08:30
There will be separate prizes for MREs and C-rats. After we get more entries, we'll pick finalists and set up the polls. :munchin

x SF med
06-14-2006, 08:51
Pete -

Either of the 2 cakes (fruitcake was a weapon, not food, and is discounted here due to it's lethality), using your technique, could be made better by mixing up the sugar, creamer, and cocoa into a paste with a little water, heating a little, and putting it all into a canteen cup - with the choc nut roll, it was kinda like death by chocolate. The only issue was getting enough time to both create and eat these guerrilla gourmet treats in one sitting.

Pete
06-14-2006, 10:00
There will be separate prizes for MREs and C-rats. After we get more entries, we'll pick finalists and set up the polls. :munchin

Well so far we have one main meal and one post dinner reward from the MRE crowd and both sound pretty good.

Come on guys, lets see what ya' got.

Pete

sf11b_p
06-14-2006, 11:46
Philly cheesesteak

Pack beef slices, pack cheese, heat crush meat and mix with melted cheese and tabasco add pepper, spread over crackers.

Roguish Lawyer
06-14-2006, 12:10
Philly cheesesteak

Pack beef slices, pack cheese, heat crush meat and mix with melted cheese and tabasco add pepper, spread over crackers.

Did you just call that a Philly cheesesteak? :munchin

lksteve
06-14-2006, 12:56
Did you just call that a Philly cheesesteak? your mind can play funny tricks on you downrange...probably just another GO #1 coping mechanism...

sf11b_p
06-14-2006, 13:07
Yup, just like the recipes for strawberry shortcake ,peach and apple cobbler not really close but what else ya gonna call it... fatty grisly mystery meat in glutinous dark gravy mixed with processed cheese flavored product tabasco and black pepper?

x SF med
06-14-2006, 13:28
You should have had to eat the early gen MREs guys - dehydrated cardboard, a chunk of syrofoam called a beef patty, or a pork patty, or chicken patty - more like a hockey puck, even after a 1/2 canteen of water was absorbed. And for a while, the crakcers were bad - I mean biologically contaminated, inedible - so they issued us Civil Defense crackers to make up for it.

Jesus, I sound like the "grumpy old man" on the 3rd season of SNL - am I that old now? (they fed us sawdust and glue, and we liked it!)

plato
06-14-2006, 13:35

As an attorney, I'd like to get your read on whether "Flush" constitutes a recipe ;)

sf11b_p
06-14-2006, 13:49
The gourmet stuff was the LRRP rations.

Pete
06-14-2006, 14:09
The gourmet stuff was the LRRP rations.

Nope, Cold Weather Rations. Think of a LRRP on steroids in a white plastic bag. Extra instant soup, candy and other goodies to raise the calories sky high.

Any guys in the mountains or cold weather areas should be getting them - if they still make and issue them. Last time I saw one was 94.

Sinister
06-14-2006, 14:58
From Ranger Mac: ARMY RANGER DATE

"I had a date the other night at my place. On the phone the day before, the girl asked me to "Cook her something she's never had before" for dinner. After many minutes of scratching my head over what to make, I finally settled on something she has DEFINITELY never eaten.

I got out my trusty case of MRE's. Meal, Ready-to-Eat. Field rations that when eaten in their entirety contain 3000+ calories. Here's what I made:

I took three of the Ham Slices out of their plastic packets, took out three of the Pork Chops, three packets of Chicken-a-la-King, and eight packets of dehydrated butter noodles and some dehydrated/rehydrated rice. I cooked the Ham Slices and Pork Chops in one pan, sautéed in shaved garlic and olive oil.

In another pot, I blended the Chicken a-la-king, noodles, and rice together to make a sort of mush that looked suspiciously like succotash. I added some spices, and blended everything together in a glass pan that I then cooked in the oven for about 35 minutes at 450 degrees.

When I took it out, it looked like, well, ham slices, pork chops, and a bed of yellow poop. I covered the tops of the meat in the MRE cheese (kinda like Velveeta) and added some green sprinkly thingys from one of my spice cans (hey, if it's got green sprinkly thingys on it, it looks fancy right?).

For dessert, I took four MRE Pound Cakes, mashed 'em up, added five packets of cocoa powder, powdered coffee cream, and some water. I heated it up and stirred it until it looked like a sort of chunky gelatinous organism, and I sprinkled powdered sugar on top of it. Voila! Ranger Pudding.

For alcoholic drinks, I took the rest of my bottle of Military Special Vodka (yes, they DO make a type of liquor named "Military Special"--it sells for $4.35 per fifth) and mixed in four packets of "Electrolytes 1 each - Cherry flavored" (I swear, the packet says that). It looked like an eerie kool-aid with sparkles in it (that was the electrolytes I guess... could've been leftover sand from Egypt).

I lit two candles, put a vase of wildflowers in the middle, and set the table with my best set of Ralph Lauren Academy-series China (that shit is freaking EXPENSIVE... my set of 8 place settings cost me over $600), and put the alcoholic drink in a crystal wine decanter.

She came over, and I had some appetizers already made, of MRE spaghetti-with-meatballs, set in small cups. She saw the dinner, saw the food, and said "This looks INCREDIBLE!!!"

We dug in, and she was loving the food. Throughout the meal, she kept asking me how long it took me to make it, and kept remarking that I obviously knew a thing or two about cooking fine meals. She kind of balked at the makeshift "wine" I had set out, but after she tried it I guess she liked it because she drank four glasses during dinner.

At the end of the main course, when I served the dessert, she squealed with delight at the "Chocolate mousse" I had made. Huh? Chocolate what? Okay... yeah... it's Chocolate Moose. Took me HOURS to make...yup.

Later on, as we were watching a movie, she excused herself to use my restroom. While she was in there, I heard her say softly to herself "Uh oh" and a resounding but petite fart punctuated her utterance of dismay.

Let the games begin.

She sprayed about half a can of air freshener (Air Freshener, 1 each, Orange scent. Yup. The Army even makes smellgood) and returned to the couch, this time with an obvious pained look.

After 10 more minutes she excused herself again, and retreated to the
bathroom for the second time. I could hear her say "What the hell is
WRONG with me???," as she again send flatulent shockwaves into the
porcelain bowl.

This time, they sounded kinda wet, and I heard the toilet paper roll
being employed, and again, LOTS more air freshener.

Back to the couch. She smiles meekly as she decides to sit on the
chair instead of next to me. She sits on my chair, knees pulled up to
her chest, kind of rocking back and forth slightly. Suddenly, without
a word, she ROCKETED up and FLEW to the bathroom, slammed the door,
and didn't come out for 30 minutes.

I turned the movie up because I didn't want her to hear me laughing so
hard that tears were streaming down my cheeks. She came out with a slightly gray pallor to her face, and said "I am SOOOOOO sorry. I have NO idea what is wrong with me. I am so embarrassed, I can't believe I keep running to your bathroom!!" I gave her an Imodium AD, and she finally settled down and relaxed.

Later on, she asked me again what I had made for dinner, because she
had enjoyed it so much. I calmly took her into the kitchen and showed
her all the used MRE bags and packets in the trash can.

After explaining to her that she had eaten roughly 9,000 calories of
"Army food" she turned stark white, looked at me incredulously, and
said "I ate 9,000 calories or dehydrated food that was made 3 years ago?" After I concurred, she grabbed her coat and keys, and took off
without a word.

She called me yesterday. Seems she couldn't shit for 3 days, and when
she finally did, the smell was so bad, her roommate could smell it from down the hall. She also told me she had been working out nonstop to combat the high caloric intake, and that she never wanted me to
cook dinner for her again, unless she was PERSONALLY there to inspect the food beforehand.

It was a fun date. She laughed about it eventually, and said that that
was the first time she'd ever crapped in a guy's house on a date.
She'd been so upset by it she was in tears in the bathroom while I had been in tears on the couch.

I know, I'm an asshole, but it was still a funny night."

Roguish Lawyer
06-14-2006, 15:07
LMAO!

x SF med
06-14-2006, 15:24
ROFLMAO.
my gut hurts like i just did 20 min of good Airborne on your back PT, after a run.

Goggles Pizano
06-15-2006, 07:53
Did you just call that a Philly cheesesteak? :munchin

:eek: AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The yellow flag has been tossed!!!!!

Casey, your presence is requested in the MRE thread. Respond forthwith.

Razor
06-15-2006, 15:20
You should have had to eat the early gen MREs guys - dehydrated cardboard, a chunk of syrofoam called a beef patty, or a pork patty, or chicken patty - more like a hockey puck, even after a 1/2 canteen of water was absorbed. And for a while, the crakcers were bad - I mean biologically contaminated, inedible - so they issued us Civil Defense crackers to make up for it.

You could make lots of recipes from those MREs, so long as they were all BBQ-something (Beef Slices in BBQ Sauce, Meatballs & BBQ Sauce, Pork with Rice in BBQ Sauce, etc). I think the BBQ sauce was similar to the widespread use of curry in India; it overpowered the otherwise horrid taste of the food.

While we're on the topic of the first run MREs, exactly what single animal was used to produce Ham & Chicken Loaf, anyway? Does anyone remember the warning printed on the Franks and Beans package? ;) How about the bad run of dehydrated strawberries. The dehydrated katsup packets did come in handy, though.

Spartan359
06-15-2006, 19:20
You could make lots of recipes from those MREs, so long as they were all BBQ-something (Beef Slices in BBQ Sauce, Meatballs & BBQ Sauce, Pork with Rice in BBQ Sauce, etc). I think the BBQ sauce was similar to the widespread use of curry in India; it overpowered the otherwise horrid taste of the food.

While we're on the topic of the first run MREs, exactly what single animal was used to produce Ham & Chicken Loaf, anyway? Does anyone remember the warning printed on the Franks and Beans package? ;) How about the bad run of dehydrated strawberries. The dehydrated katsup packets did come in handy, though.

Heh and I thought Navy chow was horrid. :D

x SF med
06-15-2006, 19:25
Razor,
I have no clue as to what early genetically reengineered critter they used - it all tasted like free range goat in bad BBQ sauce. As to the warning, I think it was "backblast area - CLEAR!"

Roguish Lawyer
06-15-2006, 19:53
I'm going on vacation on Monday until June 28. That's when nominations will close.

12B4S
06-16-2006, 01:29
Interesting how this thread was subtlety hijacked by FOG's.
C's.... and LOTS of Hot Sauce

Damn x_sf_med…. It’s a trade. Anytime, anywhere, any conditions. I tried to lay off this. Did pretty well, til now. ;) The ham part was alright. The MF’s were a different ball game. Talk about the fruitcake being a weapon. Those GIGANTIC Lima Beans were deadly. I have never seen Lima beans that huge before or since. There were times, one had to eat the rations cold. Cold, as in freezing and below. You could take your knife and notch that overgrown legume, fashioning points over it’s convex edge, sidearm it and stick it in a frozen tree. :eek:

Ok back to your regularly scheduled competition..........

x SF med
06-16-2006, 07:50
Brad-
Still better than Green Eggs and Ham - there is not enough hotsauce in the combined rucks of a team to cover that nauseating sulfur smell/taste. It's a trade, and I'll even throw in a grape jelly and a cocoa powder.

sf11b_p
06-16-2006, 10:31
I nominate me, what do I get, used but working 5.56 M-4 Kel Tec or AR-15 rifle , ACOG, nice folder from Mr. Harsey, signed book from one of the member authors, week of shooting with the resident expert, what... :munchin

I know... probably an exotic beer cap or bourbon stopper from one of your parties and a matchstick that lit a cigar.

Tex Tackleberry
06-16-2006, 20:01
Mexican rice ,jalopeno cheese with apple sauce and the whole miniature bottle of Tabasco. MMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMM GOOD!

Had it while hiking the Appalachian trail up in Hamburg,PA(near the Pennicale).:munchin

What do I get when I win?

12B4S
06-16-2006, 20:56
Brad-
Still better than Green Eggs and Ham - there is not enough hotsauce in the combined rucks of a team to cover that nauseating sulfur smell/taste. It's a trade, and I'll even throw in a grape jelly and a cocoa powder.

LOL Now that is a good deal. I was always thankful, there were always at least two guys around that would trade. :D

x SF med
06-16-2006, 21:09
If you could get 4 guys - not only could you trade - but a killer ranger stew and dessert usually ended up happening. Esp. if someone was hoarding beef jerky, boullion cubes and ramen or rice.

12B4S
06-16-2006, 21:33
Yeah x_sf-med. I forgot about the bullion cubes. Even, when just using LRRPs, just a small chunk would work wonders in a single meal.

12B4S
06-17-2006, 00:29
Pete -

Either of the 2 cakes (fruitcake was a weapon, not food, and is discounted here due to it's lethality), using your technique, could be made better by mixing up the sugar, creamer, and cocoa into a paste with a little water, heating a little, and putting it all into a canteen cup - with the choc nut roll, it was kinda like death by chocolate. The only issue was getting enough time to both create and eat these guerrilla gourmet treats in one sitting.

For you x_

NOTE: Our favorite 1970's "C Ration"-- "Meal, Ready To Eat" (MRE) goodie was that "Fruit Cake" type thing (per label) -- you couldn't eat it -- but the little brown can was a perfect training device -- it saw distinguished service as a practice "hand grenade" and stove. On the other hand, "Pound Cake" was a treat.

But then, there was the most infamous of all U.S. Army "C Rats" -- the one -- the only -- "Ham & Lima Beans." There is no single military meal ever served which met with such hatred. ;)

Fruitcake pics:

Pete
06-17-2006, 03:49
For you x_

NOTE: Our favorite 1970's "C Ration"-- "Meal, Ready To Eat" (MRE) goodie was that "Fruit Cake" type thing (per label) -- you couldn't eat it --
Fruitcake pics:

God, I got a chill down my spine when I opened that second picture. :D I did choke down one of those things on a survival exercise but never since. And I've never eaten any kind of fruit cake since either.

Pete

x SF med
06-17-2006, 08:54
Brad-
I never wanted to see that again in my life, I,m scarred, emotionally traumatized, ruined!!! The problem with opening one of those fruitcakes is that you need a toxic waste permit to get rid of the thing. Pete,, we need to check with AL or RL and see if we can sue him for emotional distress.

we each carried one fruitcake in our rucks during RS - in case the Mtn boys decided to play - throw 20-30 of them at one time and see what happens.

I had an earlier post abolut turning c-rat cans into C-4 stoves:cool: with the rminder not to step on the fuel to extinguish it **ouch**

QRQ 30
06-17-2006, 09:09
In the 60"s Tobasco had a contest for the best C-Rat recipe (of course using Tobasco). Why not contact them with this idea?

lksteve
06-17-2006, 09:12
Had it while hiking the Appilation trail up in Hamburg,PA(near the Pennicale). What do I get when I win?you get a dictionary with the word Appalachian spelled correctly...:rolleyes:

QRQ 30
06-17-2006, 09:15
For you x_

But then, there was the most infamous of all U.S. Army "C Rats" -- the one -- the only -- "Ham & Lima Beans." There is no single military meal ever served which met with such hatred. ;)

Fruitcake pics:

Being the youngest and newest member of the team in Germany, I learned to like Ham and MoFos or starve.:D

While on the LCM going to a deep water dive in Panama, we used to stand on the bridge and let Ham and MoFos dribble down our chins in front of the students. --- instant rush to the rails to call Ralph.:D

Tex Tackleberry
06-17-2006, 09:44
you get a dictionary with the word Appalachian spelled correctly...
It's better than nothing. It has been corrected.Thank you sir.

QRQ 30
06-17-2006, 09:51
As long as we VFOGs are hi-jacking, does anyone else remember the "Sock Rations"?:munchin

QRQ 30
06-17-2006, 10:01
Unfortunately MREs weren't invented by the time I got out. I guess my AVATAR says it all. I do have one cecipe we used which worked real well in the cold, damp climate of Germany. We would pool all of our coffee, cream, sugar, hot chocolate and crumble the chocolate bars and cook into a real tatsy brew. Perhaps we were the forerunners of Starbucks. An additoion we added but I guess is illegal for the contest shot or two of rum.:lifter

lksteve
06-17-2006, 10:08
Perhaps we were the forerunners of Starbucks. An additoion we added but I guess is illegal for the contest shot or two of ruma pocket flask with rum or whisky made the fruitcake palatable as well...

Team Sergeant
06-17-2006, 10:09
As long as we VFOGs are hi-jacking, does anyone else remember the "Sock Rations"?:munchin

Does it have anything to do with Rice?

lksteve
06-17-2006, 10:14
Does it have anything to do with Rice?i'm thinking it's this...

http://phototec.hp.infoseek.co.jp/SOGration.htm

QRQ 30
06-17-2006, 10:20
Does it have anything to do with Rice?

Everything came in bars the consistency of dry granola bars. There were meat bars, cereal bars, cheese bars, fruit bars, etc. I don't recall rice but it may have been there. Amazingly the one thing they had that other rationes missed was red pepper/ chili pepper in the condiments. A day's rations came packed in an OD sock, thus the name. The fruity and candy bars were about the only thing that didn't have to be crumbled up and mixed with other things and water.

How about the cigarettes which smelled and tasted like chicklettes?

QRQ 30
06-17-2006, 10:23
i'm thinking it's this...

http://phototec.hp.infoseek.co.jp/SOGration.htm

For some reason, the name "Jason Hardy" rings a sour not with me. Is he the one who HALOed into Hanoi from a B-52?:rolleyes:

Team Sergeant
06-17-2006, 14:48
Everything came in bars the consistency of dry granola bars. There were meat bars, cereal bars, cheese bars, fruit bars, etc. I don't recall rice but it may have been there. Amazingly the one thing they had that other rationes missed was red pepper/ chili pepper in the condiments. A day's rations came packed in an OD sock, thus the name. The fruity and candy bars were about the only thing that didn't have to be crumbled up and mixed with other things and water.

How about the cigarettes which smelled and tasted like chicklettes?

My first Team Sergeant, a Vietnam Veteran, told me they used to carry a sock filled with rice, just had to keep it dry.

12B4S
06-18-2006, 20:28
God, I got a chill down my spine when I opened that second picture. :D I did choke down one of those things on a survival exercise but never since. And I've never eaten any kind of fruit cake since either.

Pete

Sorry about that Pete. I had no idea. ;) I have never eaten one since my first either.

I never wanted to see that again in my life, I,m scarred, emotionally traumatized, ruined!!! The problem with opening one of those fruitcakes is that you need a toxic waste permit to get rid of the thing. Pete,, we need to check with AL or RL and see if we can sue him for emotional distress.

we each carried one fruitcake in our rucks during RS - in case the Mtn boys decided to play - throw 20-30 of them at one time and see what happens.
x_sf_med

Now, don't be bringing in any lawyers.
It wasn't as if I posted a pic of Ham & Mo Fo's. :D

LOL QRQ. That was nasty. Love it though. There is a use for those things after all.

x SF med
06-19-2006, 07:32
Ok, you asked nicely - no legal beagles - as long as you leave the toxic pictures on your hard drive.

QRQ 30
06-19-2006, 07:48
Someone already used the drink recipe.:mad:

Being in SF we were never totally dependent upon issued rations. The challenge was supplementing them. In Germany in the 60's the boon of light weight and efficient camping gear hadn't yet started. There were two "essentials" we all purchased. The hand-made German mountain boots and a "GAZ" stove. The Army hadn't yet entered the PC age so teams had "illegal now" slush funds which we used to buy food in the field.

In addition to the forced issue of C-Rats a team would carry, onions, boullon cubes, tea bags, honey, a bottle of Rum, various condiments and in cooler weather fresh eggs. We cracked the eggs and put them into plastic baby bottles and, thusly packed, they survived abn insertions. We scrounged a #10 can for boiling water and the final necessity was a basic load of DM, or other local currency.

When we were in a base camp or G-Base, we had an assigned cook. This was the newest member of the team and he remained the cook until a newer member came on board or someone complained about the chow. He became the new cook. I guess that may be the origin of the expression:"Damn!! This shit tastes good.":D

12B4S
06-20-2006, 16:08
;)

MAB32
06-21-2006, 12:32
No experience other than bringing them along while Backpacking in the Alleghenies.

So for informational and educational purposes only.

x SF med
07-06-2006, 15:57
Are you going to let us know soon?

Roguish Lawyer
07-06-2006, 16:49
Are you going to let us know soon?

LOL -- I forgot about this thread. TS will be in my AO tomorrow, so he and I will pick the finalists and post the polls after we are done shooting. :)

MAB32
07-06-2006, 16:56
Don't know why this didn't post the last time?

PSM
07-06-2006, 17:09
Link to the C-Rat Cookbook: http://www.georgia-outfitters.com/crationphotos.htm

Off to the latrine, now. :)

Pat

12B4S
07-06-2006, 20:55
The pics were there at first MAB, then disappeared.

HOLLiS
07-09-2006, 19:09
Unfortunately MREs weren't invented by the time I got out. I guess my AVATAR says it all. I do have one cecipe we used which worked real well in the cold, damp climate of Germany. We would pool all of our coffee, cream, sugar, hot chocolate and crumble the chocolate bars and cook into a real tatsy brew. Perhaps we were the forerunners of Starbucks. An additoion we added but I guess is illegal for the contest shot or two of rum.:lifter

You probably remember what we (Marines) called long rats, or Lurps (USA term?) freeze dried. They were, for us, party food. we considered them a delicacy.

x SF med
08-08-2006, 06:56
Bump-

RL-
Who won??

Roguish Lawyer
08-08-2006, 07:34
Bump-

RL-
Who won??

You did. PM me your address and I'll send the prize. Congrats.

QRQ 30
08-08-2006, 07:42
You probably remember what we (Marines) called long rats, or Lurps (USA term?) freeze dried. They were, for us, party food. we considered them a delicacy.

I liked them, They had one serious drawback, they needed water. When they came out we were tokd that in a pinch they could be eaten dry. Those who tried paid with serious dehydration.

Sdiver
08-08-2006, 08:38
You did. PM me your address and I'll send the prize. Congrats.

So what's his prize ???

One of those coupon book thingies to MacDonald's ??

Roguish Lawyer
08-17-2006, 17:01
First part of the prize just arrived in the mail. :munchin

Gypsy
08-17-2006, 17:12
What did you get x_sf? Tell us, tell us!

Roguish Lawyer
08-17-2006, 17:24
What did you get x_sf? Tell us, tell us!

I will post pictures later. I want it to be a surprise to him.

x SF med
08-17-2006, 18:30

If it's friggin SPAM or Ham and MoFo's or Chopped Eggs and Ham I won't be a happy camper. I could use a new P-38 though, or a Harsey SF Knife...

Roguish Lawyer
08-17-2006, 18:38
If it's friggin SPAM or Ham and MoFo's or Chopped Eggs and Ham I won't be a happy camper. I could use a new P-38 though, or a Harsey SF Knife...

It is not a T-2.

Gypsy
08-17-2006, 19:22

Roger. I thought perhaps you were tracking a package already sent out to him.

x SF med
08-18-2006, 06:50
Gypsy-
I thought the prize thing was a joke until I got the legally formatted request for an address pm, in triplicate from a lawyer who shall remain unnamed and roguish. My only problem is that defying the advice of independent legal counsel for the requestee, I complied with the instructions of the aforementioned correspondence and delivered, through pm, the desired information to a gun-toting, California lawyer. Am I stupid, or what?

disclaimer - some of the statements above are complete fabrications, others are stretches of the truth, none of it should make a difference to anybody, but if it does - well, tough luck. RL, no offense intended. Yup, that's the fine print!!!!

Gypsy
08-18-2006, 16:45
In triplicate, eh? What...was there carbon paper too? There's a blast from the past!

I think RL has great taste, even if he does live in Kaliforniastan...I'm betting this will be a great prize.

x SF med
08-18-2006, 19:32
I'm betting this will be a great prize.

I still have a bad feeling about any prize for an MRE/C Rat recipe contest, especially with lawyers involved!! :D

Roguish Lawyer
08-19-2006, 10:25
The prizes have been procured and photographed. They are sitting on my secretary's desk for packaging and shipping to x_sf_med on Monday. I will post the pictures after he acknowledges receipt in this thread.

:munchin

CPTAUSRET
08-19-2006, 12:10
I still have a bad feeling about any prize for an MRE/C Rat recipe contest, especially with lawyers involved!! :D

Nah, I don't believe he will let you down!

NSDQ
08-19-2006, 12:36
From Ranger Mac: ARMY RANGER DATE

"I had a date the other night at my place. On the phone the day before, the girl asked me to "Cook her something she's never had before" for dinner. After many minutes of scratching my head over what to make, I finally settled on something she has DEFINITELY never eaten.

I got out my trusty case of MRE's. Meal, Ready-to-Eat. Field rations that when eaten in their entirety contain 3000+ calories. Here's what I made:
Worth another read ! Thanks Sinister. I wonder if the Lab techs that come up with this food stuff is doing the same to us ? :confused:

NSDQ

Roguish Lawyer
08-25-2006, 15:58
UPS reports that it delivered the package today, so I will post photos after x_sf_med confirms receipt. :munchin

Gypsy
08-25-2006, 17:36
Sigh...guess we'll have a long wait over the weekend since x_sf decided not to follow doctor's orders. :munchin

x SF med
08-25-2006, 20:48
UPS reports that it delivered the package today, so I will post photos after x_sf_med confirms receipt. :munchin

UPS did not lie! Just got home from a Yacht Club meeting -gotta be up really early to race tomorrow, so I'll make this quick.

RL, the breakable item made it safe, sound and secure. Part of the 'unbreakable' decided to become a grenade in transit (and dammit it was always one of my favorites too) - I do believe this part of the 'prize' is older than me. After our esteemed counsel posts his pictures, I will expound further, and possibly post pics of my own, after transit issues.

A hearty thanks, after my week I needed the laugh, and the smell upon opening the box just made me laugh harder.

Gypsy
08-25-2006, 20:54
RL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

x SF med
08-25-2006, 21:06
RL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be patient, Gypsy, my dear - I have to allow counsel his pictures, out of fairness. ( I cannot believe I used counsel and fairness in the same sentence, twice even)

Exit, stage left - to ice the injury.

Gypsy
08-25-2006, 21:10
Be patient, Gypsy, my dear - I have to allow counsel his pictures, out of fairness. ( I cannot believe I used counsel and fairness in the same sentence, twice even)

Aye. You must have a fever. :D

Go ice yourself, you need to be in fighting form tomorrow.

~dialing the orthopod~ :p

Roguish Lawyer
08-25-2006, 23:11
Here's what he got.

The Reaper
08-26-2006, 07:56
I wouldn't eat that canned fruit!:D

Good one, RL.

TR

vsvo
08-26-2006, 09:07
Nice, RL. Congrats x_sf_med!

Gypsy
08-26-2006, 09:34
LOL, ahh nice job RL!

I see, what looks to be, a flashlight on the "bar" area...wouldn't it just be easier to flip on the lights? :D

Team Sergeant
08-26-2006, 09:41
LOL, those C-Rat pictures bring back memories.....
bad ones....:rolleyes:

Roguish Lawyer
08-26-2006, 13:34
I see, what looks to be, a flashlight on the "bar" area...wouldn't it just be easier to flip on the lights? :D

Yes, if I had lights in that area . . . :rolleyes:

Gypsy
08-26-2006, 17:44
Yes, if I had lights in that area . . . :rolleyes:

Perhaps a few strategically placed candles instead...much better ambiance. ;)

I can relate, in my dining area (part of the living room, in the "L" shape) the building manager put in a new ceiling fan...without a light. :rolleyes:

x SF med
08-26-2006, 19:01
I wouldn't eat that canned fruit!:D

Good one, RL.

TR

TR-
the Pears, Quartered were the exploding item - the only thing I'm really looking forward to is the John Wayne Bar in the B3 packet - and possibly seeing if 40+ yo cigarettes are still even remotely not stale. Think the ham ahs come back to life yet?

And, Yes, I have offered RL a beer in a nice establishment next time he's in the area. I actually cume up from a Sabretts on the street and a Schaeffer in a brown bag at Columbus Circle.

x SF med
08-26-2006, 19:04
LOL, those C-Rat pictures bring back memories.....
bad ones....:rolleyes:

Try exploded old peaches that had been travelling for a week - a true joy!! Almost as wonderful as that first whiff of CRat eggs (kinda reminded me of brimstone, apropos from a Lawyer, don't you think?)

Team Sergeant
08-26-2006, 19:30
Try exploded old peaches that had been travelling for a week - a true joy!! Almost as wonderful as that first whiff of CRat eggs (kinda reminded me of brimstone, apropos from a Lawyer, don't you think?)

Actually all the rats I ate were good to go.

From my days in the 82nd 1-505 Infantry;
I just hated forgetting the ones I didn't eat at Green Ramp and quickly stuffed them in my cargo pocket in order rig up and board the A/C. You know the rest of the story......... Ouch! :rolleyes:

12B4S
08-27-2006, 01:21
???? What... no fruitcake???? :rolleyes:

Gypsy, There's a good a chance that new ceiling fan of yours would be adaptable to a 'light kit'. ;)

Congrats x_ Enjoy your meal. BTW, of all the puffed up/exploded cans that one can eat, it is the sliced pears. ;)

Gypsy
08-27-2006, 06:12
I know! I actually bought one to install but it wasn't the correct one and asked him to provide me with further info. That was about a month ago...he's "working on it". :rolleyes:

lksteve
08-27-2006, 08:25
I just hated forgetting the ones I didn't eat at Green Ramp......you got rations at Green Ramp...? the only time i remember eating at Green Ramp was when we were on alert for the Yom Kippur war back in '73...spent two nights at Green Ramp...we got a couple of Cs and one mermited B rat breakfast...a forgetable experience from a haute cuisine perspective...

echoes
03-27-2007, 12:35
Sorry to re-vamp an old thread...but this is hilarious!

Good Stuff Men!

Holly:)

Sdiver
03-27-2007, 12:39
Fruitcake as a weapon ??!!!

Sorry to re-vamp an old thread...but this is hilarious!

Good Stuff Men!

Holly:)

Oh yeah Holly,
You could use MRE crackers, as Ninja throwing stars. :eek:

echoes
03-27-2007, 12:50
Oh yeah Holly,
You could use MRE crackers, as Ninja throwing stars. :eek:

And you know I would...Hi-Ya!:lifter
Amazing what these guys had to endure, fuel wise, to protect us.

Holly

kachingchingpow
03-27-2007, 13:25
During one AT, I can still recall securing our mre's via ambush twice. Both times the entire lot was "Beef Slices w/ Spiced Sauce," and "Beef Ground with BBQ Sauce, " or vice versa. Ate on that nastyness for 2 weeks straight. I think my lower GI gurgled for years any time I got another one.