PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane season 2006

Sdiver
06-10-2006, 06:50
Sorry hockey fans, this thread isn't about the Carolina Hurricanes (although I still think Edmonton will pull it out)....

Looks as if we might have our first named Atlantic storm of the season, sometime this weekend. Something is brewing off the coast of Cozumel/Cancun and will be moving into the Gulf of Mexico and up into Florida.

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/junenonactive/caribbeansatellite_large_animated.html

edit to add....as of 0900 EDT, it is now a TD, with the possibility of becoming a TS by this afternoon.

Blue
06-10-2006, 10:32
Yet another reason I moved from the coastal South to inland NC :). Now I don't have to worry so much about working 12 hour shifts with no days off, no electricity, and ticked off idiots. Hey, here's an idea...it's four days post-Katrina, stop driving around sight-seeing and maybe you won't be getting into fights over non-existent gas.

Let the games begin again!!!

Pete
06-10-2006, 10:42
Yet another reason I moved from the coastal South to inland NC...

Here in Fayetteville most Hurricanes are like big Thuderstorms but longer. Trees down or up rooted and power lines down.

Anything targets Holden Beach (mainland side home) and we run down, tie everything down, grab the good stuff and scat back to Fayetteville before it gets too close. After it hits we clean up our lots and then run down to the beach to see how it made out.

So far it's been holding out pretty well. The last close one toppled some trees into some of the homes in the park, nothing major, just dented roofs.

Pete

Blue
06-10-2006, 11:11
I'm in Charlotte, so the effects here should be even less since I'm two hours from Fayetteville. I previously lived in Mobile, so it was hard to get in much of an uproar over an impending hurricane after riding so many out. But it also doesn't take much common sense to figure out when it's time to turn tail and run. I wasn't able to leave because of work, but I sure as hell sent my elderly mother and son north to family in Birmingham.