PDA

View Full Version : The Puzzle Palace

Roguish Lawyer
03-25-2004, 18:27
This is James Bamford's original book on the NSA, published in the early 80s. I read Body of Secrets first, then picked this up to have something to read on the plane earlier this week when I forgot to bring reading materials. I actually have about 40 pages left, but I might as well review it now.

I can see why NSA didn't want it published. All kinds of detail on the agency, including security measures at Fort Meade. Discussion of domestic watch lists and other internal spying done by the agency. Lots of overlap with Body of Secrets.

The author clearly has a liberal bias, particularly with respect to Church committee stuff, but the book is a good read. Good stories about defectors from NSA. Good history of cryptological activities in the US. I don't know how much of what he says is accurate, but it is an interesting and worthwhile book.

Radar Rider
03-26-2004, 02:10
I thought it was a pretty good book, as was it's successor. I'd recommend both to anyone interested in intel, with the caveat that not everything in print is true and/or accurate....

Solid
03-26-2004, 02:16
Does anyone other than the author, the NSA, and the hunter/killer force on his tail know how much of it is true? Unless it's a very tense, thrilling read, it seems to me that reading a non-fiction book that may be entirely fictive is an exercise in futility.

On the otherhand, I just got up... maybe I'm cranky.

Solid

Radar Rider
03-26-2004, 04:02
I'll admit that "The Puzzle Palace" and "Body of Secrets" can both be dry reading, at times. I think that you first have to have an interest in intel, bureaucracy, and to a degree, conspiracies. If you like conspiracies or are of the belief that the government is out to screw you, then both books should be satisfying. And as relates to bureacracy: In many instances, there is such excruciating detail as to make one want to avoid government service forever.

Neither book is "fiction" written as non-fiction. Bamford did a great job in both books, considering that he is an NSA outsider. As to the veracity of the information contained in either book, I have no knowledge.

NousDefionsDoc
03-26-2004, 09:44
I liked them both. I have Body of Secrets. I loaned the other one out and never got it back.

Sigi
03-26-2004, 09:57
My brother worked for the NSA for 12 years (4 AD, 8 Civilian) He read Puzzle Palace and said most of what the guy wrote, while entertaining, was BS.

AngelsSix
03-26-2004, 23:47
Anyone who works for the "Man" will say it's B.S. by default.

No statement, no poly, no waiver..............

Radar Rider
03-27-2004, 00:35
Originally posted by AngelsSix
Anyone who works for the "Man" will say it's B.S. by default.

No statement, no poly, no waiver.............. I can neither confirm nor deny if that's true. :D