PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Class 3 Malfunction Clearance

Smokin Joe
06-06-2006, 10:12
While attending any type of training (wether I am there by choice or force) I try to learn something new (even if it is my 7th or 8th basic pistol course). So while keeping this philosophy in mind I learned a new and faster way to clear a class 3 malfunction in a pistol.

Just so I'm clear a Class 3 Malfunction is a double feed, sometimes referd to as "I'm screwed" malfunction; because in order to clear the malfunction you had to traditionally.

1. Lock the slide to the rear
2. Physically strip out the magazine (easier on some pistols than others)
3. Cycle the slide 2 or 3 times (your choice I tend to cycle 3 times)
4. Insert a fresh magazine
5. Then rack the slide

Usually its faster to go to a second gun than it is to fix this problem.

A good time for me is about 2.5 to 3 seconds to fix this malfunction (YMMV)

The new way is this:

1. Hold the magazine release down (while preforming step 2)
2. Cycle the slide 3 times as fast as you can
3. Insert a new magazine
4. Rack the slide

Total time for me now is about 1.5 seconds (YMMV)

I have tried this on 3 different styles of 1911's, a Glock 17, 22, and 21, as well as a Smith and Wesson Widow Maker (62 something or rather the one with the magazine safety) It has worked for me on all of these types of weapons.

YMMV

Team Sergeant
06-06-2006, 10:53
Can't say I've ever heard of a "class 3 malfunction", what's class is "one" and "two"?

What can cause a class 3 malfunction in a pistol and what can you do to prevent it? (prevention is key)

Do you practice different methods for clearing different (pistol) malfunctions?

HOLLiS
06-06-2006, 15:18
Isn't there some time diagnosing the problem? I can think of a few reason for a double feed.

Smokin Joe
06-06-2006, 16:21
Can't say I've ever heard of a "class 3 malfunction", what's class is "one" and "two"?

What can cause a class 3 malfunction in a pistol and what can you do to prevent it? (prevention is key)

Do you practice different methods for clearing different (pistol) malfunctions?

Class 1 = failure to feed
::CAUSE:: Not seating the magazine hard enough when loading the weapon; also not doing a press check to make sure you had a loaded chamber. OR you shot your weapon dry and the slide did not lock to the rear.
::FIX:: Tap, Rack or Reload, Rack

Class 2 = Stove pipe
::CAUSE:: limp wristing or bad extractor (it is more likely to be caused by a limp wrist than anything else)
::FIX:: Rack the slide

Class 3 = Double feed
::CAUSE:: when you racked the slide (to fix 1 or 2) you didn't rack it all the way to the rear, as a result the first casing did not fully extract. Could be a bad ammo issue as well such as a squip or pip round but that is on the very low end of the percentages.
::FIX:: Rack the slide HARD when you fix 1 or 2 so you don't cause #3.

Smokin Joe
06-06-2006, 16:25
Isn't there some time diagnosing the problem? I can think of a few reason for a double feed.

Depends on how you run a pistol; I use an esculating malfunction clearence. Meaning, if I press the trigger and nothing happens IAD is tap, rack. If that doesn't fix the problem and I have shot alot I'm reloading, while in the process of my reload if my first magazine doesn't fall free I hold down the magazine release and cycle, cycle, cycle. Then reload to finish the fight.

Team Sergeant
06-07-2006, 08:41
Joe,

We've discussed this before.

Tap Rack & pull was designed for the M-16 series rifle, not a pistol. On most pistol magazines you cannot simply tap the magazines because not enough of the magazine is extended beyond the magazine well to properly perform the “tap” procedure. Yes, I’m aware many game shooters run this malfunction drill, then again they’re game shooters and many apply magazine “shoes” to their magazines to ensure this drill works, also, the application of a magazine shoe allows the shooter to properly seat the magazine in the first place.

If you keep your weapon clean and oiled, if you learn the proper techniques of inserting a magazine into a pistol, and if you take instruction from authentic weapons instructors you will never again “tap” a pistol magazine.

Stove pipe jam……. Funny I've only witnessed this sort of jam on one and only one model of semi-auto pistol.:rolleyes: A bad or broken extractor would be a catastrophic malfunction and no IAD will solve the problem.

Racking the slide to displace a stove pipe jam is a good idea, turning one’s wrist 180 degrees and then racking the weapon while it is upside down, a better idea.

Class 3 = Double feed
::CAUSE:: when you racked the slide (to fix 1 or 2) you didn't rack it all the way to the rear, as a result the first casing did not fully extract. Could be a bad ammo issue as well such as a squip or pip round but that is on the very low end of the percentages.
::FIX:: Rack the slide HARD when you fix 1 or 2 so you don't cause #3.

If one does not know how to drive a car one should not get behind the wheel. If one does not know how to properly manipulate a weapon and ammunition they should not be attempting to use one. I have watched too many weapons instructors “ride” the slide forward when loading their semi-auto pistols. Riding a slide when loading a pistol is a recipe for disaster and it’s also the mark of a rank amateur. It can cause the extractor not to seat properly resulting in a failure to extract.

A pistol does not, cannot, double feed like a semi-auto rifle, because of the bullet size and the close proximity of the chamber the "empty" shell casing failed to eject all the way and the new round is most likely pushing upward, holding the empty casing in place against the slide. Immediate action should be turning the wrist 180 degrees & racking the slide.
(A double feed is two “live” rounds attempting to chamber at the same time. The next time a pistol weapons instructor brings up a pistol double feeding I expect you to fix his wagon.)

TS

bberkley
06-07-2006, 11:34
In all of the many thousands of rounds I've put down range from my pistols in competition, practice, and general plinking, and all the people I've shot with, I have experienced one malfunction that is close to what Smokin' Joe describes.

I load .40 S&W long for my STI, and had one round that was too long, where the bullet started to engage the rifling before the slide was fully in battery. When I racked the slide to clear the malfunction, it pulled the case off the bullet, leaving the bullet in the chamber, preventing the pistol from functioning. There was no way to even get another round chambered. Well, if I hit the back of the slide with a hammer that might have gotten it to go into battery and turn itself into a grenade.

There is no IAD for that malfunction, other than to get out a squib rod to remove the projectile.

If a novice shooter were to follow Joe's IAD not realizing they had a squib load, or a problem similar to my experience, catastrophic results are likely to follow.

Smokin Joe
06-07-2006, 11:40
Roger that Team Sergeant.

We need to go shooting again so I can clean the crap info out of my head.

AngelsSix
06-24-2006, 16:09
I had an interesting experience this week at the range (on base). Started having some minor malfunctions while qualifying with an armory issued 9mm Beretta. The gun failed to feed once, then stovepiped. After that it completely locked up. One of the range officials came over and swapped gun with me so I could continue my q. Well, long story short, the locking lug snapped off. I remember vaguely hearing something about Beretta recalling for these. Alos, I noticed that they were using +P rounds, whick I thought was a no-go on a military range/q course. Any inputs??

NousDefionsDoc
06-24-2006, 16:23
Every malfunction I have ever had with a Glock - I caused. Both of them.

Team Sergeant
06-24-2006, 19:35
Any inputs??

Yeah, I wish I was there...

I've never even heard of a 92F stove-piping! I didn't think it could even happen! Live and learn I guess.

I'd also like to see the weapon in question....;)

TS