PDA

View Full Version : splinters, slivers, and batteries

LibraryLady
06-01-2006, 18:47
Sliver Removal Kits:
Does anyone make these or do you guys use the existing tools in your kit?

The question is for serious slivers, not the ones tweezers can reach.
, I dunno. Them loggers, they get into some pretty big wood, I imagine the splinters off them logs are purty durn..... little!!! ;)

Pink Lace???? OOOHHH goodie!! Can I have one? *batting eyelashes*

LL

lksteve
06-01-2006, 18:50
Pink Lace???? OOOHHH goodie!! Can I have one? *batting eyelashes*see what you started...? we probably have another Maw Deuce kick-starter here....:rolleyes:

Gypsy
06-01-2006, 18:59
we probably have another Maw Deuce kick-starter here....:rolleyes:

Spot on...though I think more of a protegee. :D

lksteve
06-01-2006, 19:00
Spot on...though I think more of a protege. protege is a temporary status...usually followed by full-fledged capability...:D

Gypsy
06-01-2006, 19:03
LOL!

I corrected my spelling, since LL is not a boy.

LibraryLady
06-01-2006, 19:06
see what you started...? we probably have another Maw Deuce kick-starter here....:rolleyes:

Nope, not interested in kick starting any lead projectile units. My limit was the M60, that was plenty big enough for me to play with.

'Sides I was just funning - a pink lace wrapped knife wouldn't go with any of my outfits... :eek:

But I am curious why Mr Harsey started this thread? :munchin

LL

Gypsy
06-01-2006, 19:12
Nope, not interested in kick starting any lead projectile units. My limit was the M60, that was plenty big enough for me to play with.

'Sides I was just funning - a pink lace wrapped knife wouldn't go with any of my outfits... :eek:

LL

LL, it's all good, lksteve's comment is a bit of an inside joke...read some of our beloved Frontsight's (Queen of the kick starters) posts and subsequent responses. :D

LibraryLady
06-01-2006, 19:24
Thanks Gypsy. I've read a few of FS's posts and I'm in awe... She's good at getting herself into... um, situations. I'm nowhere near her league - and I don't aspire to it either! snicker

...since LL is not a boy

Good of you to notice I'm a grrrl... ;)

LL

NousDefionsDoc
06-01-2006, 19:36
One of those resembles what I would call spencer-wells forceps. Is there a difference or just different naming conventions?

thanks
Looks like the same thing to me. I'm sure I'm wrong and some one will be along shortly to point out why.;)

LibraryLady
06-01-2006, 19:55
Looks like the same thing to me. I'm sure I'm wrong and some one will be along shortly to point out why.;)

NDD,

A quick search shows the spencer wells forceps seem to be a UK/European thing and the mosquito clamps American. Both are mentioned as being used for artery clamping and are available in similar sizes, straight or curved, teeth or not. Probability seems high they are the same or extremely similar and it's just a naming convention.

Guess I'm saying I think you're right, since like other's I never want to piss off a medic!

Mr Harsey,

Yup, just like I thought, you loggers like small slivers... I've seen how a hinge can change someone's day!

LL

Bill Harsey
06-01-2006, 19:59
LL's been holding out on you guys, she's a pretty hardened Pacific Northwest Mountain grrrrl.

12B4S
06-01-2006, 23:00
UT OHHHHHHHH...........

Bill Harsey
06-01-2006, 23:17
She could have just kept quiet.

oh yeah, the only chemical your going to find on any wood coming off a logging side is some old Copenhagen.

Roguish Lawyer
06-01-2006, 23:21
oh yeah, the only chemical your going to find on any wood coming off a logging side is some old Copenhagen.

I would think you would know by now that negative remarks about Copenhagen are not permitted on this site.

Copenhagen is all natural! Well, maybe except for the little bits of fiberglass . . . :D

Bill Harsey
06-01-2006, 23:30
I would think you would know by now that negative remarks about Copenhagen are not permitted on this site.

Copenhagen is all natural! Well, maybe except for the little bits of fiberglass . . . :D
RL,
I never said anything bad about the chew but some city grrrls don't seem to like it much.

Sdiver
06-01-2006, 23:31

I don't believe there are any "Chemicals" in Copenhagen. It's all natural.

It is taken from the Earth and we (dippers) return it to the Earth....one spit at a time. It's just another type of The Circle of Life.

12B4S
06-01-2006, 23:49
I'm staying out of this. But, where does she find her avatars? ;)

12B4S
06-02-2006, 02:27
[QUOTE=Not!!! 12B sweetums, You reply here and you are officially in the fall-out zone! (*not* the DMZ !! :lifter )

That one is from the movie "The Devil Wears Prada".

Can't ya just picture that heel going into a recalcitrant XY's chest?? :D

[/QUOTE]

Well. Yeah. DMZs are boring most the time FS. I was behaving myself. Posted a non-descript reply. I didn't do anything. You seemed to get yourself in hot water again however. I had nothing to do with it.

HAHA, Um I never heard of that flick. I do know a gal who would love a set of those though. Are they 5" or 6" heels? They would frustate her. I don't have any idea why, but at times she would like to do that. NP. She wouldn't be able to walk that fast on them, especially on carpet

Besides, just cause I mentioned this thread by Mr Harsey...... who I might add was trying to help you, ........ well, put it this way. You did your whirlin' dirvish and swept into this thread, typing faster then a minigun on a Spooky'. You weren't embarassed about the coordidnates of said splinter.. were ya?

Nope! Can't picture the heels of those shoes in a recalcitrant XY's chest. Not any SF guy's anyway. We ALWAYS behave and follow all the rules. ;) However, I have quite a list for ya to stomp those heels into. ......

12B4S
06-02-2006, 02:40
One more thing.
LL.......
Truth is always stranger than fiction........ ;)

Roguish Lawyer
06-02-2006, 03:52
How the splinter got there is much more embarassing than where the splinter went.

Go on . . . :munchin

NousDefionsDoc
06-02-2006, 07:44
Hey!

lksteve
06-02-2006, 07:57
Hey!good point...how does one practice medicine without some sort of visual reference...?

Razor
06-02-2006, 08:23
Don't worry, FS. I predict that said splinter will find its current location so distasteful that it will work its way out all by itself shortly.

lksteve
06-02-2006, 09:10
Can't ya just picture that heel going into a recalcitrant XY's chest?? actually, i envision a fashion-struck XX tumbling tail over teakettle trying to walk in those contraptions...

they'd be he bomb for aerating a lawn, though...:p

NousDefionsDoc
06-02-2006, 09:25
actually, i envision a fashion-struck XX tumbling tail over teakettle trying to walk in those contraptions...

they'd be he bomb for aerating a lawn, though...:p
Would that explain The Splinter Tragedy?:munchin

Bill Harsey
06-02-2006, 10:29
Not!!! 12B sweetums, You reply here and you are officially in the fall-out zone!

I think the correct term is "blast radius".

Huey14
06-02-2006, 10:32
I had wondered where Ma'am went...now I realise she was just rallying reenforcements.

Peregrino
06-02-2006, 11:06
I think the correct term is "blast radius".

Bill - Depends on whether you're looking for primary, secondary, or tertiary effects. Given that FS is an "instant gratification" type, you might be right; however, you can't ever forget/overlook the XX tendency to go for area denial solutions. (If they can't have it, i.e. "win", they'll make darn sure nobody else can either - hence "fall-out zone" might be exactly what she meant.)

FS - the more details that "fester" up, the more interesting this story gets. :munchin "Compliant" and "interactive" usually require (at least) an alcohol stimulus to achieve full effect so I'm sure it will only improve with age. :p Peregrino

PS - Makes all those protestations about being a real "hard-ass" kind of meaningless - or was it the Skin So Soft after the shower that predisposed you to an em-bare-ass-ing vulnerability?

LibraryLady
06-02-2006, 11:06
The doctor who ended out removing it was very sweet, gentlemanly, and tried to be very pro. Therefore, I made him blush a couple of times, as I was in a rather interactive mood.

The way told me the story - he was too old for her, more my type... :(

LL

Peregrino
06-02-2006, 11:20
The way FS told me the story - he was too old for her, more my type... :(

LL

I KNEW it would get better - now she's admitting to being a "cradle robber" by preference. (We had some prior evidence, just nothing recent corroborating it - until now.)

18C Dad
06-02-2006, 11:26
Nothing like FS to get things livened up on PS.com Peregrino, you are a very clever wordsmith. Library Lady, which part of the drippy, dreary Pacific NW do you live in. I'm in Issaquah, WA - 20 miles east of Seattle and I can relate to your weather assessment. Front Sight - tried to send you a PM but you are overloaded. Please contact me as I have some new photos for you.

18C Dad

Peregrino
06-02-2006, 11:58
Nothing like FS to get things livened up on PS.com Peregrino, you are a very clever wordsmith. Library Lady, which part of the drippy, dreary Pacific NW do you live in. I'm in Issaquah, WA - 20 miles east of Seattle and I can relate to your weather assessment. Front Sight - tried to send you a PM but you are overloaded. Please contact me as I have some new photos for you.

18C Dad

Words are fun - besides, when she slows down and quits sputtering, FS can take care of herself (or give the rest of us additional ammunition). Besides, ambushes are always best when sprung on an unsuspecting (maybe even undeserving - though probably NOT in this case) target with overwhelming fire superiority, e.g. daisy-chained claymores. I like Claymores, they take the estimable Mr. Harsey's "blast radius" and convert an essentially circumferential effect into focused destruction. Sort of like the difference between a bare lightbulb and a spotlight - same candlepower, completely different effect. As long as you're not on the "this side towards enemy" side, you can get close enough to the action to deliver a devestating follow-up if/when required. (I like smashing mosquitos with sledgehammers - there's no "coming back for more".) On a more serious note, I'll be in your part of the country in a couple weeks. Maybe a L/U could be arranged? Peregrino

Jack Moroney (RIP)
06-02-2006, 13:22
I think perhaps that this was not a splinter at all and that the lady doth protest too much. Methinks it was perhaps a dart from cupids bow, rejected unceremoniously in some tawdry clinic for broken hearts. She whispers in low metaphors and attempts to draw out sympathy to sooth her callous act that denying rejection even she, in her velvet combat boots can be smitten.

LibraryLady
06-02-2006, 13:40
Now LL, what I said was that he was past the age where XYs are purely lecherous types. I honestly feel age is mostly irrelevant until you need a cane, or unless you are < 24 and XY.

Men by their nature, cease to be lecherous upon laying down their earthly coils. And since no woman has come back to tell otherwise, it's not altogether certain they don't cease to be lecherous even beyond that point! ;)

How is your posterior feeling, by the way? No permanent damage?

LL

NousDefionsDoc
06-02-2006, 14:06
Before they numbed it up I was swearing at Mr. Harsey, but afterwards it became quite enjoyable!

"You need to be a little more STILL"

Razor UP!

Jack Moroney (RIP)
06-02-2006, 14:12
[QUOTE=
Smitten!!?!! ME !!?!! "Ms. Feel-free-to-Chip-A-Tooth-On-My-.... "

[/QUOTE]

Apparently the last person you made that challenge to had wooden teeth, so I would be careful what you wish for:rolleyes:

Peregrino
06-02-2006, 14:13
I think perhaps that this was not a splinter at all and that the lady doth protest too much. Methinks it was perhaps a dart from cupids bow, rejected unceremoniously in some tawdry clinic for broken hearts. She whispers in low metaphors and attempts to draw out sympathy to sooth her callous act that denying rejection even she, in her velvet combat boots can be smitten.

And I get accused of "waxing eloquent". I bow to the master. You sir are "sans peur, sans reproche" (and quite good with a miserecord too - talk about sneaking one in on the sly).

FS - LL is a librarian. Like medics she "knows things". Your Dr. gets extra points for professional decorum, you lose an equivalent amount for assuming. And "femme rant" proves my point about "sputtering". Why would you blame Razor for my antics? I don't need encouragement. You've shot steel before. The clang is sufficient reward in itself, especially when it sets off pyrotechnics (there's that "sputtering" thing again :p). Peregrino

NousDefionsDoc
06-02-2006, 14:25
I don't need encouragement.

I'll vouch for that.

Hell, I'll testify to it in front of a grand jury.:)

Peregrino
06-02-2006, 15:44
The imagery is just too much for an old guy with a bad heart. Thank you for entertaining me this afternoon. I've been wondering for several days why Mr. Harsey should develop a sudden interest in removing splinters (since I'm sure he usually solves problems like that with vice grips). It made writing really annoying stuff for work a little easier. FWIW - a couple points of interest:

1. The new avatar needs the plaid "Catholic School Girl" dress to work.
2. All women are into instant gratification. They have to be motivated to take the "long outlook". Said motivation usually happens when some guy fails to provide the preferred "instant gratification".
3. Any guy with two dendrites he can rub together to spark an idea knows that blushes work better than leers if you want to get anywhere with a potential "keeper". (Learned that one before I was out of High School.)
4. Please reconsider the next time you feel an overwhelming urge to do the "nekkid" thing in the attic. Fiberglass insulation does "bad things" to delicate skin. Not to mention the effect on potential witnesses.

See - Guys "know things" too. Peregrino

18C Dad
06-02-2006, 16:33
Do you have a fluorescent light fixture in said bathroom? If so, the buzz could be coming from a ballast. That's the only good guess I have. This has been a most entertaining thread - thanks for keeping Friday fun.

18 C Dad

Bill Harsey
06-02-2006, 18:04
*Exactly*. And here I was catching up in the General Discussion forum, didn't even notice this thread. Should have known my Harsey Scans should have been running!

OK Mr. SmartyPants.

Here are the problem symptoms. You tell me the problem!

1) I took a long wonderful hot steamy shower with lots of Rosemary Mint salt scrub that you XYs would even love but never admit to it out loud. Washed & conditioned hair, shaved with both razors (my new razors, all of which now vibrate, as does my toothbrush and my flosser), etc.

Turn off shower.

Immediately look up.

2) Hear this odd buzzing noise from shower ceiling. To me, it sounded like a relay out of control. Like the relay was constantly opening and closing. *or* some kind of alarm that I'd never heard of before. Like a hot water alarm.

3) Thinking of impending doom, quickly advance into attic. (I was too humidified to put on clothes anyway!) All's quiet in attic.

Retreat from attic, with freshly splintered behind.

Bathroom ceiling is still buzzing.

4) Call an electrician, say "What would be buzzing in my ceiling?" Take off the ceiling light, the AC vent, the fan vent cover. Poke around. Nada.

2 hours later. Still buzzing.

5) Can't sleep upstairs that evening because buzzing is so loud.

6) Next morning, discover splinter in my butt has become problem. After work has ended for the day, after I call to rant at Mr. Harsey for the chemical-laden Oregon Timber splinter in my butt, decide to go to the ER to get it professionally handled.

Of course, one must take a shower before going to the ER.

7) Decided to take a shower in buzzing bathroom again, just for the heck of it.

OK that's all the clues you get.

Once I watched a friend of mine try to start his hot rod. He was one of the best chevy race engine builders I knew, his fingers were as good as micrometers and he could not only hear a lifter out of adjustment but tell you which one it was before taking the valve covers off.
He couldn't get the 500 horse small block chevy to start. He narrowed it down to a fuel delivery problem. He re-built the entire carb in a single afternoon.
After re-installing the carb he finally figured out he was out of gas.

Please notice that not once did I reference vibrating appliances.

Bill Harsey
06-02-2006, 18:09
Peregrino,
You nailed it. I have a pair of needle nose vice-grips for removing slivers and they really do get used once in a while.

Huey14
06-02-2006, 19:34
Mr Harsey doesn't get splinters in his arse; I don't think he's the one that needs looking after. :D

Jack Moroney (RIP)
06-02-2006, 19:36
ps: OK I'm gone for the evening. *Someone* please look after Mr. Harsey!

I hope your homework is done young lady!:D

lksteve
06-02-2006, 21:41
1) I took a long wonderful hot steamy shower with lots of Rosemary Mint salt scrub that you XYs would even love but never admit to it out loud. Washed & conditioned hair, shaved with both razors (my new razors, all of which now vibrate, as does my toothbrush and my flosser), etc.
note to self...buy stock in Duracell...second note to self...this thread is worthless without Jack Daniels...

when this thread was started, my initial wise-ass response to Mr. Harsey's question was "chainsaw"...

i regret not pulling that trigger...

72_Wilderness
06-02-2006, 21:43
This suddenly became much more hilarious when I realized that it was all happening today!

After re-installing the carb he finally figured out he was out of gas.
ROFL, I have been a similar situation. I ran out of gas trying to set the mixture rate for the gas and air to the best performance level. It took me a few minutes to figure out that I had ran out of gas and it wasn’t the screws that needed adjustment.

Exactly how long did you leave your new razor on? :munchin

And if my hunch is right, I will ask you now because I wont get a chance to tomorrow.

So FS, how does it feel to have the knowledge that vibrating things make a buzzing sound? :D

Peregrino
06-02-2006, 22:52
Exactly how long did you leave your new razor on? :munchin

And if my hunch is right, I will ask you now because I wont get a chance to tomorrow.

So FS, how does it feel to have the knowledge that vibrating things make a buzzing sound? :D

72W - I think you're destined for great things. I'm with you. Turning off lights/fans (just flipping the wall switches) would have revealed/solved any other cause. I'm guessing she set the/a razor on top of the shower enclosure while it was still on and missed the fact because the noise of the shower covered the noise of the "appliance". Once the shower was turned off the enclosure magnified a normally minor noise to a major one. (Talk about the Energizer Bunny!) My .02 :munchin Peregrino

12B4S
06-02-2006, 23:00
12B, embarassment about coordinates of said splinter are mitigated by :

2) I am somewhat less inhibited about back coordinates than front coordinates.

But go ahead 12B, keep on defendin' Mr. Harsey! Never you mind as to the current splinter status ! Don't let that worry you!

Talk about drawing fire. :cool: Now, I told you, I was staying out of this. No, Mr Harsey doesn't need defending. I merely pointed out a fact.

I did'nt ask about "current splinter status" because, I knew it was out. Then one has to give small wounds a few days, to see if the redness and swelling have gone down. You should have a good idea by tomorrow. So how is it doing? Can you sit yet? ;) I have other questions but like #2) up there, I'll just let it be at that..... Sleep well.

12B4S
06-03-2006, 02:48
OK. I behaved long enough.
Sexy avatar FS. :eek: Andddddddd the purpose behind those shoes? I know. Would be good for that walking on the back type massage for recalcitrant XYs.

Peregrino...... easy on the Claymore stuff. Awhile back FS learned about those and took an extreme interest. She's gonna end up on the lateral convex side with the writing, while she messes with it. ;)

Done! Going back to staying out of trouble with wimmin.

Huey14
06-03-2006, 03:24
Typical woman, 50 differant machines that all do the same thing. :rolleyes:

:p

12B4S
06-03-2006, 04:19
~ 24 hours. And it was still going strong!

Hello, I was *not* born yesterday. In fact, according to Cosmo, as a femme type I am just now hitting my, umm, prime energy level peak! :D

Why thank you 12B4S sweetums, it's doing much better.

Umm... 12B, those are my natural shoes, um... claws. And Yes, *definitely* good for walking on the back's of recalcitrant XYs.

(on the right is the amazing Dr. Bronner' Eucalyptus liquid soap)

Wait!! Toooooooo much to reply to. However, being the speed typist I am, I can handle this.

For one, it is getting more and more difficult to lay off of all your vibrating gizmos. NP. I can do that. :)

The shoe thing, Miss Queen of the Avatar. I wasn't referring to the red devil fork heels from yesterday, but to the black calf sock on your calf and the black tennis shoes. :rolleyes:

Do you get all this goofy XX stuff from Bed Bath and Beyond? Along with those lil balls you use?

Oh yeah. The Cosmo Mag. So you are ....... according to them........ and some others, reaching your... ahhhh peak. That's it. I felt, I had to be cryptic. ;)

I think my PC is starting to mess up.

Goggles Pizano
06-03-2006, 09:04
Typical woman, 50 differant machines that all do the same thing. :rolleyes:

INCOMIIIIIIIIIIING!!!!!!!! :munchin

Huey14
06-03-2006, 12:06
Yeah? Well I'm a little drunk and I WELCOME it!

Ha!

Gypsy
06-03-2006, 16:50
Hello, I was *not* born yesterday. In fact, according to Cosmo, as a femme type I am just now hitting my, umm, prime energy level peak! :D

Ummm no, that happens when you hit your 40's. :cool:

I don't get the vibrating razor thing though, I mean don't you want a steady hand while shaving? I must be missing something.

LibraryLady
06-03-2006, 19:22
...I don't get the vibrating razor thing though, I mean don't you want a steady hand while shaving? I must be missing something.

I had the same thought. Sharp object close to my skin should be under COMPLETE control by me, not some battery... :eek:

LL

12B4S
06-03-2006, 23:40
I know. I switched it quickly to current avatar when I saw your reply, so that it would look like you were talking about my bare paws w/ claws in current avatar. Heh heh heh. I'm mostly good, but sometimes I'm bad. :D

Ohhhhhh I like it FS. Sneaky. Were you lurking? I didn't see you in here. See? Queen of the Avatars. Now, That I'm done laughing. I think you flip flopped the 'good' and the 'bad'. ;)

12B4S
06-03-2006, 23:43
Footnote:
Right after I posted and was ready to head out. I noticed someone else in this thread. Good luck. ;)

Razor
06-03-2006, 23:45
[]No really. I google'd vibrating Razors...[/QUOTE]

In your dreams, young lady.

DanUCSB
06-04-2006, 02:37

Must. resist. laughter. (And inappropriate mental images!)

Sacamuelas
06-04-2006, 07:09
[VOILA! You have your wish.

You guys can now keep this thread going as long as the Team Sergeant allows BUT not in the medical section.

Good luck and keep it clean.

72_Wilderness
06-04-2006, 13:24
Hello, I was *not* born yesterday.
I would say 'last night in the dark,' but the threads been going longer than that. :p

In fact, according to Cosmo, as a femme type I am just now hitting my, umm, prime energy level peak!

‘just now’, Oh Lord! :eek:

Something needs to be done at all that energy!

Please, let’s not get her started on her dreams. Think about all the stuff y’all have pestered her about that happened while she was awake. Do you really want to know what she dreams?! :D

Sdiver
06-04-2006, 20:09
I would say 'last night in the dark,' but the threads been going longer than that. :p

‘just now’, Oh Lord! :eek:

Something needs to be done at all that energy!

Please, let’s not get her started on her dreams. Think about all the stuff y’all have pestered her about that happened while she was awake. Do you really want to know what she dreams?! :D

72_Wilderness,
Ohh...you young impetuous fool. Think about what you're doing. You've got your whole life ahead of you.

Ahhhh....youth. But they've got to learn some how.

:munchin

72_Wilderness
06-04-2006, 20:45
72_Wilderness,
Ohh...you young impetuous fool. Think about what you're doing. You've got your whole life ahead of you.

Ahhhh....youth. But they've got to learn some how.

I have no control over her actions. She seemed to miss the jab about what she dreams about. :rolleyes:

Where does she rank on the list of people not mess with?

1. Medic
2. Admin
3. Cook
4. The Reaper

Did I place her to far up the list or to far down?

I don't know it could be fun. Well maybe not fun...but different and interesting, that's for sure!

The dull blade is never noticed until the quatermaster checks its location in the dusty shed, one must get out and become sharp. :D