PDA

View Full Version : SFC Randall Shughart

BMT (RIP)
06-01-2006, 14:33
Post Office Renamed for Delta Force Sniper

Army News Service | May 25, 2006

Newville, PA. - The Newville, Pa., Post Office will be named in honor of Newville native Sergeant First Class Randall Shughart May 29 at 3 p.m.

Shughart was killed in October, 1993, defending downed helicopter pilot Michael Durant in Mogadishu, Somalia. He was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor, the military’s highest decoration.

Durant will speak at the dedication ceremony, and Black Hawk helicopters will fly over the town and land in the community ball field.

“Shughart's heroic actions are an example of the exemplary men and women we have serving abroad today to defend our freedoms. Not every community is privileged to have a Medal of Honor recipient – in fact it is rare,” said Congressman Bill Shuster, who along with Congressman Todd Platts sponsored Legislation to designate the post office as the “Randall D. Shughart United States Post Office Building.”

“It is a great privilege for me to help sponsor this legislation honoring Medal of Honor recipient Randall Shughart,” Platts said. The unparalleled liberties and freedoms that all Americans enjoy would not be but for the selfless and courageous sacrifice of true American heroes such as Sergeant First Class Shughart. We are forever indebted to him and all of our Nation’s men and women in uniform who have made the ultimate sacrifice on our behalf.”

At the time of his death, Shughart was a Sniper Team Member of the U.S. Army Special Operations Command with Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu.

The enlisted Soldiers barracks at Carlisle Barracks, Pa., is also named in honor of Shughart.

sf-doc
06-02-2006, 04:05
This is a fine tribute to a great soldier!

Doc

x SF med
06-02-2006, 06:52
Glad to see they're finally honoring Randy!!! Haven't found anything about Maine doing anything for Gary though - unless I just missed it.

Razor
06-02-2006, 07:54
The only thing I know about for Gary in ME is a small stone pillar with a plaque on it in the center of his home town in Lincoln. Went up to see it several years ago.

As an aside, Lisbon Falls named the main road running through town after Tommy Fields.

NousDefionsDoc
06-02-2006, 08:24
Well done.

Tuukka
06-02-2006, 09:46
I did this for a forum, regarding the events in '93, years back, please inform if it is good to post or not.

RIP

CPTAUSRET
06-02-2006, 10:00
I did this for a forum, regarding the events in '93, years back, please inform if it is good to post or not.

RIP

Works for me!

Terry

Texian
06-02-2006, 16:05
"Greater love has no man than to lay down his life for his friends."

RIP

jasonglh
06-02-2006, 21:48
I understand from a friend the turn out in Newville was huge.

Also in addition to the naming of the post office, students at Big Spring High School established a SFC Randall Shughart scholarship fund. Gov Rendell said the state is contributing $10,000. I dont know any other details on it at the moment.

At West Perry High School there is a 6 acre memorial grove planted for all Veterans. On April 1st the Student Senate planted 19 Red Maple trees in memory of those killed in Somalia on Oct 3rd 1993. In addition sometime around Oct 3rd 2006 they are going to erect a boulder with a plaque with the 19 names.

Not far from there is Derry High School where SFC Earl Fillmore graduated and has a memorial in it with a collage of pictures of Earl. In the library I believe there is a Dietz print that was donated by Earl's mother to the school.

There are a few other memorials:

In Harrisburg Penn. Randall Shughart Street is a half-mile stretch that runs from Front Street to the PennDot building. Street signs feature a picture of Shughart's medal of honor.

There is also a memorial by the flag pole in Newville at Big Springs high school for all Big Spring graduates who have served in the military and has a bronze plaque on the monument that mentions Randall Shughart.

There is also pair of RO-RO (Roll On Roll Off) the first 2 of a new design that were named for SFC Shughart and MSG Gordon. In addition to the training facility at Ft Polk that was named for them.

I'm sure there are other that I forgot.

Basicload
06-04-2006, 01:46
Glad to see they're finally honoring Randy!!! Haven't found anything about Maine doing anything for Gary though - unless I just missed it.

Hey Doc.

I'm not sure where ya been but the first two ships from the Navy's RO-RO (roll on roll off) fleet of pre-positioned equipment ships (designed to float Army MECH BDE vehicles off the coast of hot spots) where christened the USS Shugart and the USS Gordon. Their Wives were at the cermeonies as well as some of their mates. The whole class of vessels are going to be named after MOH recipients.

Stephanie Shugart cave an incredible speech about the "winds of freedom" blowing across the decks of the USS Shugart.

The 3rd Ranger Bn rigger shed at Ft. Benning is the "Shugart Ranger Rigging Facility" as well.

Of course there is also the MOUT site at JRTC at FT Polk. The "Shugart/Gordon urban warfare training facility".

OOps, sorry Jason. did not see your post.

uboat509
06-04-2006, 04:46
I was stationed at Polk with the 509th when they opened Shughart Gordon and I spent many a rotation there. All through that time I was shocked and appalled at the number of soldiers who had no idea who these men were.

SFC W

Warrior-Mentor
06-04-2006, 21:27
Squared away.

Paraphrasing here ..."woe to the nation that has heroes and forgets them."

x SF med
06-05-2006, 08:36
Basic-
I knew that Stephanie had been doing a lot of speaking over the past 10 yrs - and I knew about a couple of the 'on-post' things - but I've been out of the net for a while, doing the civilian thing, it makes me feel better to know that the military community is keeping the memories alive.

airborn sf
08-01-2006, 21:06
Two very great men I will always remember them and I have a lot of respect for them and what thay did.

NSDQ
08-01-2006, 22:20
Remembering "Freedom is'nt Free".
I would love to see the mega media cover more of these stories. Imagine what our youth could become if these were the Hero's that were promoted in the movies, mags, papers & such. No Glory, No Acalades, just Quiet Professionals, doing what is right.
Would love to hear more stories about these & others like them.

Thank You
NSDQ

Goggles Pizano
08-02-2006, 11:57
Rest in peace men and godspeed always to their families.