PDA

View Full Version : Need to but a new pocket knife, any suggestions?

Maine guy
05-30-2006, 18:45
I recently had, and unfortunetly lost a Emerson CQC-13, "folding bowie".

http://www.emersonknives.com/Tact_index.html

I am looking for something to carry that is decent...

Any thoughts???

MtnGoat
05-30-2006, 20:27
Try the search button at the top and how about your use or needs. Requirements for the usage of this knife.

If your looking for a pocket knife, if you like your Emerson CQC-13 I would get a new one. If not, then we need more to work with.

VG

NousDefionsDoc
05-31-2006, 07:48

Any thoughts???
You're joking right?

TFM
05-31-2006, 08:43
See this thread. I stumbled on it a while back. Trick: if you use google, and do an advanced search specifiying this website as the domain, you will find things very efficiently especially if you click on the cache link. Consider it a freebie from someone who was once search button challenged.

http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740

vsvo
05-31-2006, 11:55
Trick: if you use google, and do an advanced search specifiying this website as the domain, you will find things very efficiently especially if you click on the cache link.

Excellent tip TFM, thanks. I hear this also works well if you don't want to pay a fee to access the archives of certain sites (e.g., ar15.com).

TFM
05-31-2006, 12:02
Glad it you found it usefull.:cool:

Maine guy
05-31-2006, 18:21
I appreciate your help!! Thanks

See this thread. I stumbled on it a while back. Trick: if you use google, and do an advanced search specifiying this website as the domain, you will find things very efficiently especially if you click on the cache link. Consider it a freebie from someone who was once search button challenged.

http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740

18C Dad
05-31-2006, 18:38
Maine Guy,
I had the pleasure last week of seeing a Yarborough knife, up close and personal. It was designed by Mr. Bill Harsey (Oregon) who is a member of PS.com and manufactured by Chris Reeve Knives (Idaho). What a thing of beauty. Having had an opportunity to communicate with Mr. Harsey several times and by reading the comments on PS.com, I believe he is a man of high integrity and honesty. You might want to check out some of knives he has designed. Example: Lone Wolf knives produces a nice folder that Bill designed. I think some of the guys on PS.com own it and have been very happy with it. I was going to buy one for my QP but then he said he wanted a damn gun instead. :mad:

Disclosure: I was not paid to endorse any of the companies or people named above. ;) Seeing as you're a Maine guy I wanted to give you some ideas from the other side of the U.S.

18C Dad (Washington)

Smokin Joe
06-01-2006, 02:52
Buy a Harsey T2 or T3

If you are in to B-F folders get the T-3. You can shave with it or fight your way out a bar with it....it can handle all of your needs.

Rotor Strike
06-01-2006, 22:05
I love Bill's knives and I'm a Strider Knives whore as well, but I really like the Chris Reeves Sebenza in either size for day to day life. Other than Tom Mayo's TnT's, there aren't any better plain pocket knives like that made, in my opinion at least. Price dictates between the TnT and Sebbie.

PiterM
06-02-2006, 13:51
Want pocket knife? Knife, not toy? Than try Sebenza... best mid-size pocket folder money can buy!

Rob_0811
06-06-2006, 12:18
IMHO, this beats a Sebenza

scottcookknives.com/lochsa.htm

Scott used to work for Chris Reeve, if I'm not mistaken.

x SF med
06-06-2006, 12:44
For an everyday carry - Gerber isn't bad, for real hard use - Mr. Harsey makes 'da bomb'

Sten
06-06-2006, 13:46
I love my T2 from Mr. Harsey.

dmgedgoods
06-10-2006, 11:50
CRKT M16-14Z.
I don't like sharpening the Tanto, but it is a killer knife.
I like the Carson design. The ambidextorous thumb stud opens nicely, but the flipper is the sweetest part. A very comfortable knife, and it's not bulky.

McD

Bill Harsey
06-10-2006, 17:34

Any thoughts???
What price range are you looking for the knife to be in?

Q
06-10-2006, 21:11
The best I've ever owned...hands down. Not only that you can talk to the guy at the drop of a hat. Right here. Lots of good knives out there. Bill's are exceptional. Check his creds and drop him an e-mail. Hell he may even have a brew with you......maybe. "Q".

NousDefionsDoc
06-11-2006, 06:31
The best I've ever owned...hands down. Not only that you can talk to the guy at the drop of a hat. Right here. Lots of good knives out there. Bill's are exceptional. Check his creds and drop him an e-mail. Hell he may even have a brew with you......maybe. "Q".
+1

SAWTooth
09-29-2006, 16:59
CRKT M16-14Z.
I don't like sharpening the Tanto, but it is a killer knife.
I like the Carson design. The ambidextorous thumb stud opens nicely, but the flipper is the sweetest part. A very comfortable knife, and it's not bulky.

McD

I'm a big fan of the CRKT M-16 Knives, too. The full-size SF edition is very light, but still sizable and comfortable to heft when open. I have the one with the Aluminum handles, although I think there's a Zytel handle model that's cheaper (I would stick to the aluminum, though).

The nicest part IMO is that the twin Carson flippers not only make for easy one-hand opening, but also double as a hilt when the blade is open. Helps keep your fingers attached to your hand when stabbing/piercing.

You can position the belt clip in 4 different orientations depening on your carry preference and the entire thing is field-strippable with the included hex wrench.

As previously stated, your milage may vary depending on the intended use of the knife.

stanley_white
09-29-2006, 20:36
I like this one...

http://www.aeromedix.com/index.php?_siteid=aeromedix&_sessid=81b0ebbc2fbfb00c8f7830250a2381c6&action=sku&sku=bmrskminiyell

The yellow color throws everyone off. My girlfriend asked me "Why do you always carry a highlighter in your pocket?"

Chris
09-29-2006, 21:16
Anything from Bill Harsey (Lonewolf makes several quality production Harsey designs), Chris Reeve Knives, Emerson, Strider will do you fine. Remember, like everything else you get what you pay for.

Those are (IMO) the finest production knife companies out there, and they offer excellent custom pieces too.

lrd
09-30-2006, 00:05
Buy a Harsey T2 or T3

If you are in to B-F folders get the T-3. You can shave with it or fight your way out a bar with it....it can handle all of your needs.

I love my T2 from Mr. Harsey.
I recently racked up major marriage points by giving the T2 to Mr. lrd. He loves it.

Thanks again, Mr. Harsey.

NousDefionsDoc
09-30-2006, 06:03
I recently racked up major marriage points by giving the T2 to Mr. lrd. He loves it.

Thanks again, Mr. Harsey.
I never had a wife like that...

The Reaper
09-30-2006, 09:36
Mine has given me my Yarborough, the Reaper knife, and a Sebenza. Not to mention several guns.

Sometimes, it is important to wait till the right one comes along.;)

TR

kgoerz
09-30-2006, 18:45
Mine has given me my Yarborough, the Reaper knife, and a Sebenza. Not to mention several guns.

Sometimes, it is important to wait till the right one comes along.

My Better Half was going to buy me The Yarborough. Couldn't keep it a surprise because she needed my Q-Course credentials. When she saw the price she offered me a gun instead,,,I went with the Gun. I still want The Yarborough

Air.177
09-30-2006, 19:39
I like this one...

http://www.aeromedix.com/index.php?_siteid=aeromedix&_sessid=81b0ebbc2fbfb00c8f7830250a2381c6&action=sku&sku=bmrskminiyell

The yellow color throws everyone off. My girlfriend asked me "Why do you always carry a highlighter in your pocket?"

Hmm, Methinks I have seen this Blade profile somewhere before, just can't quite place it:rolleyes: Not a dig at you SW

The Reaper
10-01-2006, 13:13
My Better Half was going to buy me The Yarborough. Couldn't keep it a surprise because she needed my Q-Course credentials. When she saw the price she offered me a gun instead,,,I went with the Gun. I still want The Yarborough

Too late, all sold out.

You can still get the unmarked GB Knife though.

TR

BrianH
10-01-2006, 18:10
Over the last year I've aquired a few knives (Mick S. Custom, Emerson, etc.) and I can't seem to get Chris Reeve's Sebenza out of my pocket. Micarta inlay.... and gorgeous.