PDA

View Full Version : Under and Alone

Eagle5US
05-23-2006, 10:27
by William Queen...true story-ATF agent who infiltrates and patches in:eek: with the Mongols OMG over a 28 month investigation over 1998-2000 resulting in 53 indictments and 52 convictions.

I had to fly to Massachussetts for a one nighter and picked this up at the airport bookstore.

260 pages-finished it in 2 hours. What a great read.

Besides the incredible relayance about truely infiltrating a dangerous subculture and society...during the book the author makes casual mention of his time as a Special Forces Soldier in Vietnam-receiveing the Silver Star in 1971.

I thought him being an SF guy particularly interesting-the situations he faced and was able to overcome-truely a testament to his character and the 50lb shiney brass cojones he has dangling between his legs. He shows good on our heritage and legacy as a community.

Awsome story-would make one HELL of a movie.

Thanks FOG's...

Eagle

sf11b_p
05-23-2006, 11:45
His Silver Star is quite a story.

Razor
05-23-2006, 13:37
I read that book earlier this year...very good, easy read. Like Eagle said, this guy was very adept at thinking on his feet to deal with potentially life and death situations. He also mentions the hardships living UC placed on his family, and the difficulty he faced of not 'becoming' his cover story. The big take away for me, though, was a new understanding of just how dangerous OMCs (or other, organized gangs) can be, and how many resources they can utilize.

tk27
05-23-2006, 14:50
Awsome story-would make one HELL of a movie.

The movie is in production, Mel Gibson will be playing Mr. Queen. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383026/)

Under and Alone is a great book, very informative, and entertaining. Undercover work must be nerveracking as it is, but with these guys for 28 months? Mr. Queen must have ice-water running through his veins.

Eagle5US
05-23-2006, 15:07
His Silver Star is quite a story.
Link???

Eagle

Roguish Lawyer
05-23-2006, 15:12
Thanks, Eagle. Just ordered it.

stone
05-23-2006, 17:58
If you liked the book you might enjoy this interview:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4618645

Ambush Master
05-23-2006, 18:20
I think that he was at CCN!! I'll see what I can find about him.

sf11b_p
05-23-2006, 18:32
Link???

Eagle

6 August 1971, Recon Team Kansas.

Couple links.

http://armyparatrooper.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1642

http://www.ultimatesniper.com/View_News_Details.cfm?NewsID=160&CategoryID=32&title_bar=THE%20LAST%20STAND%20OF%20RECON%20TEAM%2 0KANSAS
(article is derived from Maj. Plaster’s book, SOG)

I was sure there was something here in PS but I must be weak today couldn't find it.

Ambush Master
05-23-2006, 18:42
Also here:

http://www.facesfromthewall.com/1971apr.html

It's about 3/4 way down the page, titled (Remebrance of Bruce Berg by Bruce Rusty Lang)

Later
Martin

CoLawman
05-24-2006, 07:55
Fully concur!

I read this a year ago and made a specific wish on this board.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7296&highlight=queen

Billy Queen is a Featured Speaker at this years S.T.I.N.G. Conference in Colorado. I will be attending, especially since one of my Investigators will also be a presenter at the conference. I would highly recommend this conference to any LEO interested in Gangs of all types including OMG's. Send me a PM and I will get you the information regarding the conference.

Warrior-Mentor
06-03-2006, 18:07
Eagle, thanks for the recommendation.

Read this over the last two days...great book. Particularly liked the way he talked through some of the situations and his decision making, hastily war gaming options to get out of unpredicted and unpredictable situations. Well written, I'd recommend it for entertainment and make it mandatory reading for anyone who does undercover work.

Roguish Lawyer
06-10-2006, 00:38
Read it in one day while sick. Entertaining.

JMI
06-10-2006, 22:59
Bad ass book. Bad ass dude!

The link to his NPR interview was interesting in that he felt the Mongrols gave him more love about losing his mother than the Federal Govt. If true, that is so lame.

JMI
06-12-2006, 18:19
My cousin was an ATF ASAC in Washington DC (before becoming SAC in another state.) I sent him an email on the link to the book. Seems he knows Bill Queen. I thought that was pretty cool.

Hey Cuz

I have not ead the book yet but I do know Bill Queen. We carpooled together when we worked in Washington DC. Have a picture of the carpool buddies sitting at the Directors desk one day when the Director was gone. Have to show it to you some day. Bill Queen was quite a character as you can tell. I've been meaning to get the book. Hope your doing ok out in Nevada. Say hi to your mom for me.

Take Care
Louie

Kasik
05-26-2014, 07:38
I read Billy Queen's excellent book, Alone and Under, while working as my agency's criminal intelligence detective.

In that position I was responsible for OMG information and intelligence / investigations. Reading Billy's book was fascinating and I, too, read the author's claim of being SSG William R. Queen, RT Kansas, MACV-SOG (CCN).

While attending an OMG investigators' meeting at Mt. Shasta in northern California, in roughly 2005, I met Billy. We became good friends. It was several months later Billy confessed to me that he'd "made an egregious mistake" and lied about his military service.

He is not SSG Williarm R Queen -https://www.patriotguard.org/showthread.php?318422-SGT-(Ret)-William-R-Bill-Queen-Army-Vietnam-Veteran-ANC-17-MAR-09

When Mr. Queen shared this with me a number of things occurred immediately.

One of these was my going to the Special Forces Association of which I am a LIFE member and bringing this situation to its attention. I also contacted Major General Ken Bowra (Retired) whom I am proud to have served with over the years and who I knew had served with CCN / MACV-SOG - and shared with Ken what I'd learned.

Necessary action was then taken with Billy Queen's full and voluntary compliance to include a formal apology to SSG Queen, then still living.

Billy served with C Company, 3rd BN, 11th SFG(A) from 1973-1974. He was never SFQC qualified. His Associate Membership in the SFA was revoked as part of correcting the record.

BQ did serve in Vietnam. He served with the 504th MP Battalion in DaNang for a four month period before being released on an early out program.

Queen's lie began in 1998 after an ATF agent in Florida called him and asked if he was the same "Bill Queen" in John Plaster's book "SOG". Billy misled the agent by omission and the story grew from there and ended up in his book.

Once action was taken at our end BQ began contact with Williarm R. Queen, both by telephone and letter.

I have a copy of his apology to SSG Queen.

It states in part "I am personally apologizing to you Bill. I apologize to all who have served our country. I apologize specifically to those I did serve with in Vietnam, believing somehow that their service to our country was somewhat less honorable than others who served.

"I am apologizing to everyone who has read Under and Alone and who believed the lie about my service. I recently sent out an E-Mail to my editor at Random House apologizing for the misgivings. I sent the letter to everyone that I know who I stay in touch with to include ATF agents, agents and police officers around the United States and my relatives...

"I live with the shame of my misgivings and I accept responsibility for them."

The letter is dated December 9, 2007 and is signed "William L. Queen".

What transpired between the two men in their private conversations I cannot say.

Billy Queen and I remain friends to this day. He did the hard right over the all too long wrong and I respect that.

When I saw this thread I contacted him for all the right and appropriate reasons. His reply is "Correct that thread if you want...I made that bed and I can't apologize enough for it (May 26, 2014).

Rest in peace this Memorial Day, SSG William R. Queen, United States Army Special Forces.