PDA

View Full Version : OK, It's not SF but...

Pete
05-23-2006, 10:14
OK Guys;

It's not SF related but is something that comes around every spring here at Ft Bragg. All American week started Monday with the Division Run and ends Friday with the Division Band playing out at Sicily Drop Zone from 10:30-10:45 followed by a Joint Readiness Training Exercise at 10:45.

http://www.fayettevillenc.com/article?id=233677

And for all you non-military who are going to make a crack about 9 minute miles remember they were running a formation of 12,000 paratroopers down the road.

The Division review is from 10:00-12:00 on Thursday out at Pike Field. Something everybody should see at least once.

And no, I was never in the 82nd but you have to give them credit where credit is due.

Pete

lksteve
05-23-2006, 13:21
And for all you non-military who are going to make a crack about 9 minute miles remember they were running a formation of 12,000 paratroopers down the road.

The Division review is from 10:00-12:00 on Thursday out at Pike Field. Something everybody should see at least once.i was part of the straggler control element for that in 1974 as a brand new buck sergeant...whatta trip...in '72, we marched for the Division review...in '73, we rode in the back of Gamma Goats...another item checked off of my to-do list...

Jack Moroney (RIP)
05-23-2006, 14:15
In 1966 when I was little and a CPT in the 3rd Armored Division the Division CDR wanted to have something similar to this with the entire division. So he brought every unit under his command from every post and station in Germany and massed the entire division on what was fondly called Mike North in Grafenwhor, Germany. Now for three days every tank, personnel carrier, artillery piece, truck and troop spent the entire time sitting hub to hub getting ready for his mechanized pass in review. It was an incredible sight and all I could think of was some hot shot Red Army pilot conducting a border overflight seeing this target rich environment totally incapable of maneuvering out of its own way. What some officers will do in the name of "troop morale":rolleyes:

Weazle23
05-23-2006, 16:49
I'm thankfull that I was able to be a part of the Division Run and the Pass and Review last year, it was pretty impressive being in the middle of it all. Of course at the time it seemed more of a hassle and a pain in the ass over a dog and pony show, but now I'm glad I experienced it.

Kingfisher
05-25-2006, 09:18
Nothing like the guy in front of you locking his knees and passing out with a bayonet fixed.

gtcrispy
05-25-2006, 16:26
I'm going to take my parents and my buddies wife out to Sicily DZ tomorrow morning and watch them jump. Should be kind of cool. I've never seen a large Mass-Tac jump before.

bluebb
05-27-2006, 12:42
As a young SGT. in the 307th Engineer BN, I was working as the company Operations Seargent. I was filling in for an NCO that was in school. I recieved the memo detailing our company's role in the Division review, didn't know what it was and tossed it. Well a couple of days later during a company meeting the CO ask me for it and what are responsablities were, I got a sudden "deer in the headlights look". I remember a stupid stuttering reply on my part and not much else. As soon as the meeting was over I hightailed it over to Bn. OPS and got a copy. Lucky for me the Bn OPS NCO was forgiving.

Blue