PDA

View Full Version : LEO’s Question

Team Sergeant
05-22-2006, 12:12
I have a question for you…..

Can your radar guns clock the speed of a pistol slide as it recoils backwards?

Team Sergeant

Smokin Joe
05-22-2006, 12:31
I don't know, I will try it and let you know.

MAB32
05-22-2006, 12:41
Me neither, will also have to see if so.:munchin

Warrior-Mentor
05-22-2006, 12:58
You've got my curiousity. Why would you need to know? :munchin

MAB32
05-22-2006, 13:07
An old K-55 won't work because it will read the: "LARGEST, closest, and fastest object in that order. That is why I cannot get a "clock" on a Civic moving at 85+mph when he pulls up alongside a semi and stays there until he is out of range. The truck might be moving along at only 55+, but if the Civic times it right, and I am stationary, he's got me. Now can we keep this little secret just between us?:munchin

Besides, you will have to postion the radar behind the slide. I think a laser is the better way of the two.

Kyobanim
05-22-2006, 13:08
Now can we keep this little secret just between us?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm buying a Civic.

Goggles Pizano
05-22-2006, 13:12
Laser would be the only way I imagine. I'll check with our range officer as this might have been checked before however if it has not it can be.

jatx
05-22-2006, 13:35
My Googlefu is strong today:

Slide velocity on a 1911 shooting 200 gr. projectile at 950 fps: 25.5 fps. :)

http://yarchive.net/gun/pistol/1911_dynamics.html

ETA: Sorry to spoil the fun for those of you looking forward to a "Hey, watch this!" moment. :D

Team Sergeant
05-22-2006, 13:44
Laser would be the only way I imagine. I'll check with our range officer as this might have been checked before however if it has not it can be.

OK OK, laser!:rolleyes: (I just said radar, but I'm up for either doing the task)

Can a laser gun do the same.......

jatx,

I'd like to clock a few slides...... how strong is that googlefu?

Smokin Joe
05-22-2006, 13:50
Sorry TS I can't help you with the laser we don't have any. I heard the State (DPS) has a few you might want to ask your friends down there if they know.

Warrior-Mentor
05-22-2006, 13:50
All I want is Sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!!!
Is that so much to ask? :D

Air.177
05-22-2006, 13:52
All I want is Sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!!!
Is that so much to ask? :D

Every Creature deserves a warm meal:D

lksteve
Sorry to spoil the fun for those of you looking forward to a "Hey, watch this!" moment. the day is still young...:munchin

jatx
OK OK, laser!:rolleyes: (I just said radar, but I'm up for either doing the task)

Can a laser gun do the same.......

jatx,

I'd like to clock a few slides...... how strong is that googlefu?

That link already has the appropriate equations! Why don't you just weigh your slides on a reloading scale and take the physical measurements needed?

BTW - I did the conversion and that Gold Cup slide is moving just over 52 mph, slower than I would have expected.

Team Sergeant
05-22-2006, 13:57
That link already has the appropriate equations! Why don't you just weigh your slides on a reloading scale and take the physical measurements needed?

BTW - I did the conversion and that Gold Cup slide is moving just over 52 mph, slower than I would have expected.

There are other factors.....

fine do a glock, 40,& 45 and then a HK 40 and 45 full size, oh and I don't have a reloading scale!:munchin

jatx
05-22-2006, 14:00
There are other factors.....

fine do a glock, 40,& 45 and then a HK 40 and 45 full size, oh and I don't have a reloading scale!:munchin

If you're trying to win a bet, I'm going to want a piece of the action! :cool:

ETA: Can someone with a scale tell me the slide assembly weights with the barrels removed? :munchin

MAB32
05-22-2006, 16:07
Ok, no more trade secrets. You all will probably go out and buy small compact cars and race along side semi trucks!:D

jbour13
05-22-2006, 16:11
Ok, no more trade secrets. You all will probably go out and buy small compact cars and race along side semi trucks!:D

Wouldn't give up the crew cab sierra for a go cart just to get out of a ticket. I'll take it off road to get out of one though!!! :D

(That's a joke, I stop and comply like a good boy ;) )

Endorphin Rush
05-22-2006, 16:12
I won't make any promises, but I'm trying to find an answer as I type this. Our department does not use radar (only the state police can use it at this time), however, I'm pushing all the buttons I know of that may be able to answer whether it can be used for this purpose or not.

Again, won't make any promises I can't keep, but I know a few troopers who might be up for testing this. We'll see.....

NousDefionsDoc
05-22-2006, 16:16
TS,
You're going to be disappointed, the Glock will be faster...;)

Roguish Lawyer
05-22-2006, 16:31
TS,

Faster shooting is not better shooting. Heard that from an expert. :munchin

NousDefionsDoc
05-22-2006, 16:34
Faster shooting is not better shooting. Heard that from an expert. :munchin
We are not talking about shooting Counselor, we are talking about slides cycling. Do try to keep up.:)

Team Sergeant
05-22-2006, 16:35
TS,

LOL, I'm betting it is, significantly. One of its problems is its slide speed.;)

Roguish Lawyer
05-22-2006, 16:36
We are not talking about shooting Counselor, we are talking about slides cycling. Do try to keep up.:)

The purported fact that Glock may cycle somewhat faster than an HK doesn't make it better than an HK.

Endorphin Rush
05-22-2006, 16:40
This may be what you need for this job:

http://www.astroproducts.net/Sports_Pro_Handheld_Radar_Gun.htm

I haven't confirmed with their techies yet, but it appears that if you cycle the slide without using live ammo (so as to not clock the speed of the projectile itself) you might have success. You might also be able to use live ammo as long as you effectively block the signature of the projectile from the speed timing device.

After further reading and thought, you would probably have to test the slide velocity with only one round in the magazine, so that the slide locks open. To allow the slide to return to battery would cause the radar device to take readings both travelling towards and away from it, potentially causing errors.

NousDefionsDoc
05-22-2006, 16:40
The purported fact that Glock may cycle somewhat faster than an HK doesn't make it better than an HK.
Never said it did Genio. Knickers in a knot or you been readin' Massad Ayoob again?

NousDefionsDoc
05-22-2006, 16:46
BTW,
I would expect an $800 gun to be a better gun than $400 gun. In the spirit of the LeMas thread, how about a test? If you can shoot better than I do with twice the gun, I'll...I'lll....well, I don't believe in suicide.

jatx
05-22-2006, 18:26
The radar gun won't be accurate because the slide's speed is not constant throughout the cycle. Velocity peaks just before the slide impacts the receiver, and is considerably lower on the way back into battery.

We know that Glock slide assemblies are lighter than USP slide assemblies in the same caliber. That much is clear to anyone who has field stripped both. If you hold recoil spring force, loads, and firmness of grip constant, there is no way that the USP can have a faster cycle time than a Glock of equivalent barrel length and caliber. There is surely a small difference in the distance each slide travels to the rear, but not enough to make a difference.

I wish I could find those slide assembly weights! Google is failing me tonight...

Kraut783
05-22-2006, 20:45
No...neither the lazer gun or hand held radar will record the speed of a slide action. Tried yesterday for the heck of it. radar used was two...stalker and MPH. Just FYI.