PDA

View Full Version : Q's before purchasing a ruck

TN FISH
05-21-2006, 16:01
I am planning on purchasing an rucksack so I can get some experiece in that area. However, looking on ebay I am seeing ruck sacks with and without straps, and also with or without frame...

I was about to purchase one with straps and frame, but wanted to make sure here first before I bought the ruck.

Also can you purchase weights to put in the bag to make it heavy or am I needing to find things I own and pack them up to make it at a desirable weight?

Lastly, I live near a large National Park with LOTS of woods, and also lots of trails. Do you suggest staying on the main roads, and some trails when only traveling with regular shoes?

Thank you.

NousDefionsDoc
05-21-2006, 16:06
Yes, you need the straps and frame. If you search here, you will find you need a large ALICE.

You can use anything for weight - sand bags work ok. No need to buy weights.

You need boots, not shoes.

The Reaper
05-21-2006, 16:26
Yeah, I've got some rucksack weights to sell you.

You might need them later, when the issued gear is too light, it will help keep the ruck from bouncing or "floating away". Especially handy on HALO teams.

They are priced by the 50 pound unit, but you can buy them empty andf fill them yourself. Let me know how many you need.

For more info on rucks, use the Search button here.

TR

TN FISH
05-21-2006, 16:27
Sir, Thanks for the quick response.

Do you have any suggestions for type or style of boots... I know I will be getting an issued pair when heading to BCT. Would used boots that you might find at a surplus store be sufficient or just suck it up and buy a new, good pair?:confused:

Thanks again.

TN FISH
05-21-2006, 16:29
Yes Sir,

I would be interested in the weights. Can you send me an PM.

NousDefionsDoc
05-21-2006, 16:32
Have you read all the stickies and all the posts in The Pipeline Forum? I don't think you have. There is information ad infinitum on boots and rucks. The Reaper went to all the trouble of posting everything you need to know.

Now, go do your homework and if you still can't find it, join the Air Force.

TN FISH
05-21-2006, 16:41
No excuses.

Thank you

NousDefionsDoc
05-21-2006, 16:42
No excuses.

Thank you
I like you now.

You're welcome.

If you still can't find it, come back and I'll help you just a little.

Warrior-Mentor
05-21-2006, 16:55
...and I thought someone was just out snag fishing... :munchin

NousDefionsDoc
05-21-2006, 17:00
...and I thought someone was just out snag fishing... :munchin
Mentoring Sir, mentoring....:cool:

12B4S
05-22-2006, 02:16
OK. TR. I'm going to leave this one alone, seeing it's been a long time and I'm a FOG and all. At least for a bit. NDD = fine mentor...... One of the best.

K! Enough compliments. Back to work........

Monsoon65
05-28-2006, 13:44
Now, go do your homework and if you still can't find it, join the Air Force.

I think I resemble that remark!