PDA

View Full Version : Prior service options - USMC

eerieee
05-17-2006, 07:37
Before I ask my questions I just want to introduce myself.
I am currently still in the USMCR with E2/23, E-4 MOS 0311(inf rifleman) OIF I vet. I am a student finishing up his SR year at a University of California.

I have done some research online and found as much information as I could before I decided to go ahead and post.

After doing research on the subject of getting a shot as SFAS, I have come up with these options(please help me wherever I am incorrect):

1) 18X contract gives civis off the block the shot at SFAS after basic/ait/airborne
2) REP-63(read alot of conflicting posts on this one...from it being offered to prior service to it only being offered to those who join the ARNG SF units)
3) Applying to SFAS when you reach E-4 in regular army

My question is for all those in the know; 1. which options are availible to me being a prior service? 2. If neither the 18x nor REP-63 options are availible to me, how successful will I be if i submit a packet for SFAS from a regular unit.

If I do re-enlist in the Army, I will either keep the E-4 from the Corps, or I will get E-4 because of my college degree. Does this automatically qualify me to submit a package for SFAS? Would I qualify regardless of my MOS? Or will certain MOS(s) be more suitable. Since I've done time in a regular line company, I would like to chose a different MOS(for many reasons too numerous to discuss), perhaps something in Intel. My final question is, would I need to retake the ASVAB? I remember that the score is valid indefinitely, but I took it back in '99 and I just feel like maybe it won't be anymore.

I realize that I could be asking a recruiter all these questions, but my personal experiences in dealing with recruiters, has unfortunately jaded me a bit. I understand that people here may not know all the answers to the questions I seek, but I decided this would be as good a place as any to get started.

Respectfully,
Dumb clueless jarhead

PS. forgive me if i dick up any SOPs or acronyms, since i'm not used to the Army way

Team Sergeant
05-17-2006, 07:50
Read the rules and stickies.

Before I finish my coffee you had better use the "search" button to research your question to us. It has most likely been asked.

Introduce yourself in the proper forum before you continue.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9143&page=59

Team Sergeant

eerieee
05-22-2006, 01:09
I apologize for my carelessness, I just wanted to respond to acknowledge the advice. Won't happen again. Thanks for the great site.