PDA

View Full Version : Psychology of Terrorism

lrd
05-15-2006, 21:25
I'm still looking through this, but thought it might be of interest to some of you. I found it on The National Criminal Justice Reference Service website.

From the introduction:

"Our task was to identify and analyze the scientific and professional social science literature pertaining to the psychological and/or behavioral dimensions of terrorist behavior (not on victimization or effects). Our objectives were to explore what questions pertaining to terrorist groups and behavior had been asked by social science researchers; to identify the main findings from that research; and attempt to distill and summarize them within a framework of operationally relevant questions." Psychology of Terrorism, Randy Borum

http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/208551.pdf

Jack Moroney (RIP)
05-16-2006, 19:31
"Our task was to identify and analyze the scientific and professional social science literature pertaining to the psychological and/or behavioral dimensions of terrorist behavior (not on victimization or effects). Our objectives were to explore what questions pertaining to terrorist groups and behavior had been asked by social science researchers; to identify the main findings from that research; and attempt to distill and summarize them within a framework of operationally relevant questions." Psychology of Terrorism, Randy Borum

http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/208551.pdf

I find this amusing, not the subject but the approach. Someone is paying a bunch of social scientists to analyze why a terrorist behaves badly. It sort of begs the question as to what is a terrorist and who should set the acceptable norms of killing, maiming, and manipulating folks that the beligerent sees as his/her enemy. It makes what little hair I have left protecting my brain housing group hurt. Terrorism is in the mind of the recipient, it is a tool, it is not the sole province of a "terrorist". I'm done now:D

lrd
05-16-2006, 20:04
I find this amusing, not the subject but the approach. Someone is paying a bunch of social scientists to analyze why a terrorist behaves badly. It sort of begs the question as to what is a terrorist and who should set the acceptable norms of killing, maiming, and manipulating folks that the beligerent sees as his/her enemy. It makes what little hair I have left protecting my brain housing group hurt. Terrorism is in the mind of the recipient, it is a tool, it is not the sole province of a "terrorist". I'm done now:D
It was a bit wordy for a bibliography, wasn't it? :)

Solid
05-17-2006, 05:57
I pity the young, post-grad analysts who invariably did the chug work on that- as you aptly identify it- "extended bibliography."

Maybe someone's striving to publish for tenure?

Solid

Goggles Pizano
05-17-2006, 06:30
Terrorists are bad. Gotcha. Thanks!

The Reaper
05-17-2006, 08:02
I pity the young, post-grad analysts who invariably did the chug work on that- as you aptly identify it- "extended bibliography."

Maybe someone's striving to publish for tenure?

Solid

I hear Ward Churchill may be available.:munchin

TR

Bill Harsey
05-17-2006, 08:15
I hear Ward Churchill may be available.:munchin

TR
Looks that way. His school doesn't seem to have found in his favor.

The Reaper
05-17-2006, 08:19
Looks that way. His school doesn't seem to have found in his favor.

Yeah, but given gross ethical and academic issues, only one of the five professors reviewing his work thought that he should be fired. Probably the token conservative.

TR

Solid
05-17-2006, 12:22
I loathe the fact that 59 years ago some joint-smoking, finger-clicking, bongo-beating hippies sat around in a muddy tent and decided that the little devil spawn they were soon to produce would have the last name of a damn fine Prime Minister.

... Now where's that 'puking blood' smiley I've been hankering for?

:D

Solid