PDA

View Full Version : Col. Moroney

Sdiver
05-15-2006, 10:06
Sir,

Do you need some scuba gear sent out your way, or help building an Ark ??

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,195417,00.html

Wow, 15 inches of rain in the past few days, in some areas. Hope your lake in the back yard doesn't flood the house.

jon448
05-15-2006, 11:14
Sdiver,
I run along the Merrimack River in Lowell which is mentioned in the article. Yesterday around 1600 it was close to overflow along a major roadway. Today probably close to 3 or 4 feet are on said roadway. Every river around me has flooded its banks. And it's still supposed to keep raining through Thursday. My old high school is probably going to be closed thru Weds because the basement is filled around 5 feet with water because the nearby steam went over it's banks by at least 5 feet. My grandmother who has lived around here since the 1930s thinks this is the worse flooding that she has ever seen, and there's not even snow runoff to add to it.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
05-15-2006, 12:17
The animals haven't started to pair up yet and I am at a lack in determining just what the dimensions of a "cubit" is in order to build the ark. Actually we are doing pretty good as the bulk of the heavier stuff has stayed to our south but we have received upwards of 4 inches of rain over the past couple of days and it is slated to continue off and on during the week. I will get a chance to see what the flooding has done on Thursday when I drive down to Hanscom Airforce Base in Bedford, Mass, to do my normal monthly resupply run. Ought to be interesting.

CRad
05-15-2006, 12:28
The animals haven't started to pair up yet and I am at a lack in determining just what the dimensions of a "cubit" is in order to build the ark. .

I tried to look it up but it seems there's disagreement between royal cubits and short cubits. It could be the distance from your middle finger to your elbow. No clue on whether that middle finger is supposed to be distended ;)

lrd
05-15-2006, 12:28
The animals haven't started to pair up yet and I am at a lack in determining just what the dimensions of a "cubit" is in order to build the ark. Actually we are doing pretty good as the bulk of the heavier stuff has stayed to our south but we have received upwards of 4 inches of rain over the past couple of days and it is slated to continue off and on during the week. I will get a chance to see what the flooding has done on Thursday when I drive down to Hanscom Airforce Base in Bedford, Mass, to do my normal monthly resupply run. Ought to be interesting.
Sir,

We got 119 inches in 41 days a couple of months ago.

I snagged the biggest piece of driftwood I could find on the beach and held on tight. Floated around a bit, but eventually made my way back home. :)

Take care.
lrd

jon448
05-15-2006, 13:35
I will get a chance to see what the flooding has done on Thursday when I drive down to Hanscom Airforce Base in Bedford, Mass, to do my normal monthly resupply run. Ought to be interesting.
Col. Maroney Sir,
Bedford hasn't really been hit all that bad. The worst places are the North Shore and the Merrimack Valley. I don't see it getting much better since it's supposed to rain until Saturday. Hopefully the rain ends for a 2 hour period on Saturday so I don't get soaked during my graduation. Here's a link to some pictures that one of the kids I coached took of the lot of the H.S. http://community.webshots.com/album/550408275odYttv

Jack Moroney (RIP)
05-15-2006, 16:25
Col. Maroney Sir,
. Here's a link to some pictures that one of the kids I coached took of the lot of the H.S. ]

Good shots. You folks are way ahead of us with foliage. Our leaves have not yet popped.

Cincinnatus
05-15-2006, 17:21
Jack,

What altitude are you? I'm surprised, as I'm less than an hour from you, to note that it seems we're at least a week ahead of you (have noticed this in other discussions as well.)

On another note, was woken this AM by two Tom turkeys in the yard. Got some decent photos (I think.)

Jack Moroney (RIP)
05-15-2006, 18:37
About 1000ft and sheltered on the north-west side of a ridge. When you were talking about hearing the peepers they didn't come up in my pond until two weeks after that. We still had some patches of snow 3 weeks ago. About a mile from here into town they already have apple blossoms and mine are just starting to form.

Cincinnatus
05-16-2006, 11:23
Jack,

The peepers was one of the things I was thinking about. We are, IIRC, at 484feet above sea level, so the altitude and your northern exposure would easily account for difference.

Cincinnatus
05-17-2006, 07:44
Actually, upon reflection, I'm not sure that the altitude diffference amounts to much. If my GPS is to be believed, I'm at 806ft above sea level so there'd be only 200ft or so difference. Also, I'd been thinking that the rule of thumb was a day difference in progress (budding in spring, turning colors in fall) for every 100ft altitude. I was "misremembering" it's "a day difference for every thousand feet in altitude and/ or hundred miles (north/ south)" so that hardly accounts for the difference.

I know the north facing and south facing slope difference can be pretty extreme and we're in a river valley, or rather the slope above a river valley, with southern exposure, but I don't know what else may factor in here.

On another note. Jack, do you see more red foxes or gray foxes where you are?

x SF med
05-17-2006, 08:34
COL M-

I have a zodiac (not as big as an RB15) if you need to borrow it for a bit. I'll throw in the 3hp 2 stroke too, easier than paddles in swollen rivers.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
05-17-2006, 10:33
On another note. Jack, do you see more red foxes or gray foxes where you are?

More red, primarily because they are not a secretive as the grey and are more active in daylight than the grey.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
05-17-2006, 10:36
COL M-

I have a zodiac (not as big as an RB15) if you need to borrow it for a bit. I'll throw in the 3hp 2 stroke too, easier than paddles in swollen rivers.

Thanks, but the rivers are dropping but if you have any Bison I'll take them as the grass is going to be out of control as soon as the sun hits:D

x SF med
05-17-2006, 11:16
Sir-
Bison are at a premium here in NJ, almost as difficult to find as diesel cars, maybe we could get some of our Texas bretheren to send up some cattle, then after the grass is shorn, a BBQ? I'll bring a couple of cases of decent beer.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
05-17-2006, 13:19
Sir-
Bison are at a premium here in NJ, .

True, I was born and raised in NJ. I was going to ask for sheep, but we have enough trouble up here with civil union and the like and I did not want to leave my self open for what would surely follow from the fans of Broke Back Mountain:D

The Reaper
05-17-2006, 13:25
Why not goats?

They will eat almost anything.

TR

x SF med
05-17-2006, 13:29
Sir,
It could have been worse, you could have asked for a casual platoon from SWTC, with 'idiot sticks' - then you would have gotten in trouble with the migrant workers union. But the positive there is, not only would the grass have been short, all of the rocks whitewashed, your access road raked smooth, and you might even have a good fields of fire map of the AO.

re: TR's comment above, thought about his suggestion, but was not going to invite an ass-chewing after a personal faux-pas last evening, for which I was gently reminded that I was an idiot. I choose not to be banned for FFI of a moderator.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
05-17-2006, 13:38
Why not goats?

They will eat almost anything.

TR

True, but in a state that is going to try to sue farmers that use Genetically Altered Seed if they happen to allow pollen from their plants to drift across into some Organic Farmers crop and cross pollenate and "contaminate" the organic crop I dare not have a goat get loose and eat some Organically grown crop.:D