PDA

View Full Version : Update Ockahm's Razor/NewportBarGuy

Ockham's Razor
05-13-2006, 18:47
Gentleman,

It is with great reluctance that I make this update here. Especially considering that effort put forth by you all to help me in my endeavour. However, the truth, and a factual account of the facts is the only way to make sure this update is correct.

Basic, was a kick in the ass. My drills had absolutely no time to deal with mama's boy's or anyone not capable of finishing the 16 week course. It was long, it was hard, but if you took it one day at a time, as I was taught by all of you, you can survive anything.

Life at the new unit was good, if boring. Because we were new we had no vehicles, so we did loads of hip-pocket training/re-training. When we got our vehicles we were fast on the track, ready to hit the field as soon as poissible.

Right before we hit the field we did a very simple 5k road march... That is when disaster struck for me. I twisted my knee and was forced to seek medical assistance. This was the first time I let a medical problem affect me, and it was not through want. The typical prescription of ibuprofen and water was the norm. I did that, ignored the pain and was back in the field for our first FTX., It was not until the 4th FTX when I came off my Bradley that I had sharp pain and simply could not walk. That was when I truly called for help and asked what should I do, of my 1SG. They sent me back for a MRI and they found a torn meniscus and some pieces floating in my knee. They did arthro and found even worse. I have basically no cartilage between my knee and leg bone, so they call it Chondromalacia grade III. We tried therapy and nothing.

So, they have, gracefully, asked me to leave the cavalry that I have grown to love. I am not reclassing, so that is my only option. I just wanted to thank all of you here who have offered support and encouragement to me through this entire process. A greater group of men I've never come across. My only regret is that I was never able to live up to your expectations and conquer the Nasty Nick and the following trials.

Please forgive me for my body not living up to the challenge. I shall certainly try to make up for it in other ways as time goes on. It is a pleasure to know all of you, and for the time I have been doing, it is a pleasure to serve you.

Thank you for all of your patience and guidance. It has meant the world to me. I hope that the failure of my body has not lead you to think it was a failure of the mind.

Best wishes to you all... With great respect I am,

Ian McCamphill

The Reaper
05-13-2006, 19:00
Ian:

Sorry for your bad fortune.

Don't let the bastards get you down.

Make very sure that everything gets documented and keep your own copies in a safe place. It will be important later.

Don't be a stranger here.

TR

Jack Moroney (RIP)
05-13-2006, 19:19
Ian,
Sounds like you gave it your best shot, no one could ask more of you so hold your head high. Echoing what TR said, make sure you have copies of all those medical documents and don't depend on anyone else storing them for you. It may not seem important now, but it will later on.

Peregrino
05-13-2006, 19:26
Ian:

Sorry for your bad fortune.

Don't let the bastards get you down.

Make very sure that everything gets documented and keep your own copies in a safe place. It will be important later.

Don't be a stranger here.

TR

OR - Sometimes bad things happen to good people. Remember Teddy R's speech about the "Man in the Arena" - at least you dared. Like the Spartan mothers said - "with your shield or on it". I think this qualifies. Do what TR said - keep copies of everything, you'll need them later. Deal with whatever comes next with the same spirit you showed for this and don't be a stranger. Peregrino.

Sdiver
05-13-2006, 19:42
Awwww Man !!!! :(

Ian,

Sorry to hear about this. That sucks.

Just remember..."As one door closes...Another will open".

Here's wishing that the door that opens for you, is a GREAT door.

Bill Harsey
05-13-2006, 19:49
Ian,
Good to see you here.
Remember what we spoke about a few days ago and listen to the guys here, very carefully;) .
That's as close to an order a knifemaker can issue.
Talk to ya soon, Bill

CPTAUSRET
05-13-2006, 19:50
Ian:

You made me proud! You stepped up and gave it all you had, no one can do more!

Heed the advice posted above, save copies of all your medical records!

Don't be a stranger.

Terry

jbour13
05-13-2006, 19:55
Keep your chin up and proceed on your next endeavor with the same tenacity, you can be happy to know that you've given your all. We're certainly happy to know that you've given yourself to a noble cause and there is no person that can take away from you the accomplishments and memories you have gained in your service to our nation.

V/r

SGT B

Gypsy
05-13-2006, 19:55
Ian...I'm sure Mr. Harsey gave you some great advice... Remember also what I told you. Glad to see you back around here. You stepped up, where many will/can not and you'll aways have my gratitude for that.

Team Sergeant
05-13-2006, 20:38
Ian,

"Shit happens, things change, and nobody has all the answers."

(quote from a former commander of the delta force)

You gave it your best shot. You did more than 99.9% of the guys your age. I would be proud to call you friend. Chin up, change focus and drive on.

Team Sergeant

edit to add, about friggin time you showed back up....

Roguish Lawyer
05-13-2006, 21:14
There are guys out there like me who never tried and who have to live with the related regret. Better to have tried. Good things await you, I'm sure.

Monsoon65
05-13-2006, 21:55
You did your best. What more can you, or anyone else, ask for??? Press on, and as everyone else has been saying, make copies of ALL medical records. I'm willing to bet everyone here can come up with a story of someone being bit on the ass because they didn't have documentation.

Good luck with your next adventure!!!

Goggles Pizano
05-13-2006, 22:04
It's never over Ian, the game continues! You have more heart than many out there and that counts! :lifter You will rise from this, trust me.

SRT31B
05-14-2006, 09:00
That really sucks man!

You know what though, everyone gets knocked down sometimes... but the people who pick themselves back up, brush off the dirt, drink water and drive on are the real winners.

You've got a lot of heart. Wish we had more guys like you in my unit.

Where ever life takes you from here, give it your best everyday and you'll succeed... Never Quit!

Polar Bear
05-14-2006, 10:22
Ian,
I am glad you finally posted. Your body failed, now use your mind.

My door is always open.

PB

Ockham's Razor
05-14-2006, 18:24
Thanks go out to all. I can tell you, honestly, I heard the voice of The Reaper, Team Sgt., and Sneaky on every one of our marches, stalks, route recons. "Don't make stupid mistakes!" "Always be aware of your surroundings!" "Whatever can go wrong will so be prepared." I think that is why things worked out so well at my unit/s. They knew I was there to work, so used me at every chance they could.

That is perhaps the saddest part. I was very important to the units I was a member of because I have no wife and kids and was willing to stay until the job was done, always. I always gave everything I had to make sure we were never late or light. Aside from the intereferece of certain ossifers afraid of the degredation to their promotions.

I heard Chief Radtke was made Team Chief of Team 7. Outstanding. A finer person in uniform is very rare. I hope he is doing well. All of you, I consider life-long friends. Thank you for all you have done for me. I'm sorry that I was not able to get to the next level, but that was out of my hands.

I respect you all a great deal. Thank you for you patience, guidance, and willingness to help a recruit navigate the minefield.

With every good wish I am,

Ian James McCamphill

The Reaper
05-14-2006, 18:53
I heard Chief Radtke was made Team Chief of Team 7. Outstanding. A finer person in uniform is very rare. I hope he is doing well.
Ian James McCamphill

Ian:

There is no such animal.

I think that you are trying to say that he is the 7th SF Group Senior Warrant Officer.

TR

Ockham's Razor
05-14-2006, 20:51
Ian:

There is no such animal.

I think that you are trying to say that he is the 7th SF Group Senior Warrant Officer.

TR

You are quite right, Sir. Forgive my errosive error. How is Bill doing these days? I certainly hope he is staying away from Sophia Vergara.

Warrior-Mentor
05-15-2006, 11:38
Ian:

There is no such animal.

TR

He's a stud...you couldn't ask for a better guy to run the "3" shop...he's on it.

CRad
05-15-2006, 12:22
I hope he is doing well.

I'm sorry that I was not able to get to the next level, but that was out of my hands.

Chief is an ill-tempered contrarian who wants to be in charge of everything but other than that he's fine.

I'm sorry as anything to hear about your knee. Glad you are getting excellent advice about keeping track of the paperwork. It's as important as the other advice you got from these guys.