PDA

View Full Version : exercise equipment.

HOLLiS
05-07-2006, 10:13
I have done a search on Bowflex, and it seemed that the only comment was by lksteve, and he staired at his. I am looking at getting some kind of exercise equipment to help maintain range of motion and tone. I have been looking at all the stuff, and want something that is worth the money and will not consume my shop. I am not a young puppy and a little worse for wear.

Problem is the down ward spiral. I go to do some phsyical work, which I need to do, but the body starts screaming. I hate pain pills, so I stop and go into cruise mode. Problem I need to do the exercise if not the work. Injuries are the back, hips and shoulders. In therapy the therapist suggested light work outs and repretitions along with mild cardio vascual exercise.

Oregon's Winters are not very good for outside activities for me. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a decent exercise equipment that has a variety of exercises. The VA is offering some help in this situation. I would like to avoid buying something to stair at.

Kyobanim
05-07-2006, 10:44
Not to sound like a Bowflex ad but . . .

I have a BowFlex that I purchased at Sam's for my martial arts school and use it daily for toning and flexability. It's fairly decent for muscle growth. It's probably the best $600 I spent for equipment. The model they sell at sams will get you around 75 different routines. I've added 25 to that for what I do. If you're creative you can make up your own. I make the machine a regular part of the intermediate and advanced students workouts. Reading your post, this machine will probably give you what you're looking for.

I'm 51. 4 weeks of daily workouts on this thing rehabbed my shoulder and both hips to the point to where I don't need pain meds, (arthritis in the hips and rotator problem.) Also lost the tire that was starting on the mid-section and even started on a 4 pack, which is better than the pony keg I was working on.

Find one setup somewhere and check it out.

If you don't have a motivation you will stare at anything you buy. Your body is probably willing, you just have to convince your mind that it's worth it. Remember, the mind will quit long before the body is ready to.

Eagle5US
05-07-2006, 10:44
I have owned 4 of these machines since they first came out...and I have loved each one. Tearfully saying goodbye when I needed cash and some lucky SOB snatched mine up for about 3/4 what I paid for it.

They hold their value well.

I have had surgery on both shoulders and knees-Bowflex was used in the rehab of each.

Their customer service is outstanding. Example:

Me: One of my pully's is making a squeeking noise
Them: Which one?
Me: The 6 foot arm on the bottom R hand side
Them: Were sorry, we'll ship one to you next day air (to HAWAII:eek: )-please throw the other one in the trash. Feel free to call if you have any other issues.

True to form, the piece arrived the next afternoon WITH AN APOLOGY letter from Bowflex.

In the early days, we would actually put my Bowflex on the pallet and take it on deployments...IMHO it really is a great machine.

Like anything else though that is convenient and "In the Home"- you have to stop whatever the hell it is your doing and use it. If you "go to the gym"-you go to USE the gym. The bit with home health equipment is that you aren't making a dedicated effort to go and do something. It is always there-waiting on you-so convenient for you to pop in anytime that you never seem to get around to it.

Bowflex-GTG.

Eagle

MtnGoat
05-07-2006, 11:02
In the early days, we would actually put my Bowflex on the pallet and take it on deployments...IMHO it really is a great machine.

I got one for my team for our deployments; there small, light weight and can be packed up on a 463 or a ISU. We also got the Power Blocks (http://www.powerblock.com/) dumdbell. Now Bowflex has there own style (http://www.bowflexselecttech.com/catalog/productdetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441760 415&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302031171&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302031171&bmUID=1147021303661).
Overall I like Bowflex products, there worth the money you spend. Look in your local paper, thats were I got mine and like Eagle said - people are always selling them for less than cost. You may have buy some of the add-on if anything.

HOLLiS
05-07-2006, 11:06
Thank you, I notice the best price on bowflex was at the BX/PX online. I will start looking around.

Kyobanim, which model do you have.? I have been looking at the revolution. It has lower ceiling clearance and a little less foot print.

Again thank you,

H.

Kyobanim
05-07-2006, 11:18
Kyobanim, which model do you have.? I have been looking at the revolution. It has lower ceiling clearance and a little less foot print.

Motivator 2 Plus from here:
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=157677

Jack Moroney (RIP)
05-07-2006, 12:39
I was a pretty serious competitive weight lifter back in the days and maintained a fairly decent program through-out my military career. The joke used to be among my teams was who was going to jump in which weight plate for the old man. Anyway I share many of the same physical aliments that you mentioned and I had to give up the weights for two reasons. First I kept on hurting myself and second my wife could no longer spot me when I started to get in trouble with the heavier bench presses. So I bought a nordic track for cardio and a Wieder Cross Bow ( the Bowflexes poorer cousin) and have been really satified with both of them. I alternate every other day between the two and while I probably am no where near being able to hit what I used to do weights anymore I am more than capable of doing what I want when I want within the limitations caused by previous injuries and the collateral damage caused by the medicos who have done their best to fix me up now and then. The best thing about the machines are that they are very forgiving and injuries now are caused by stupidity rather than overloading the weight bar. My next purchase will be a Bowflex to replace the Crossbow that I am about to wear out.

blastard
05-07-2006, 18:56
I was looking to purchase a Bowfelx but didn't know what model. Reading this tread help me on my decision and hopefully I have the good results.

Thank you all:lifter