PDA

View Full Version : AL Wanabee Busted

BMT (RIP)
04-29-2006, 19:05
Decatur soldier convicted of fraud

A general court martial has convicted Reserve Army Warrant Officer Reginald H. Barbee of Decatur of fraud for portraying himself as a wounded war veteran and hero.

The 58-year-old had claimed he served in Vietnam and Iraq, as well as being wounded twice. During his trial, Barbee admitted to falsely wearing the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Purple Heart with two oak leaf clusters and a combat infantryman's badge. He denied but also was convicted of wearing, without earning, the Special Forces tab and Scuba badge.

The Army learned of Barbee's crimes when he applied for military disability benefits. The court sentenced Barbee to confinement and hard labor for five months and a $24,000 fine. :lifter :munchin

BMT

Bob1984
04-29-2006, 19:10
Deleted for exceeding the stupidity limit.

BMT (RIP)
04-29-2006, 19:13
He was also the County VSO.

BMT

Kyobanim
04-29-2006, 20:41
Did he really think he could get away with defrauding the government and that they would just pay him disability checks without researching his claim ?

Happens all the time, from what I hear. I personally know one person who claims RVN service with SF, was busted for AWOL during the RVN time frame in Germany, got a disshonorable, 10 years later joing the Colorado NG, wore the long tab and patch on the right sleve, claimed 22 years service, was retired honorably and receives pension. And the kicker is, the govt knows it and doesn't do anything about it.

Creative documentation.

Monsoon65
04-29-2006, 20:47
Happens all the time, from what I hear. I personally know one person who claims RVN service with SF, was busted for AWOL during the RVN time frame in Germany, got a disshonorable, 10 years later joing the Colorado NG, wore the long tab and patch on the right sleve, claimed 22 years service, was retired honorably and receives pension. And the kicker is, the govt knows it and doesn't do anything about it.

Creative documentation.

I read in "Stolen Valor" that there are guys in PRISON, that were never in the service for one day that are receiving benefits from the VA.

Bob1984
04-29-2006, 22:36
Deleted for exceeding the stupidity limit.

HOLLiS
04-29-2006, 22:44
Sounded like he believed what he was saying, to have applied for benefits.

HOLLiS
04-29-2006, 22:47
I read in "Stolen Valor" that there are guys in PRISON, that were never in the service for one day that are receiving benefits from the VA.

A quick note, that may have been or said. The VA really goes through ones record. Generally the first part is a denial of any claim. Then they go through the records. No records no claim.