PDA

View Full Version : Asthma

Doc
04-28-2006, 19:18
What are your thoughts on asthma and what do you use to treat it?

I would like to hear the good, bad, and ugly on this subject as well.

Doc

medicerik
04-29-2006, 02:25
I look at asthma as having three parts to treat:

1) Bronchosconstriction
2) Inflammation
3) Excessive mucous production

In the emergent setting, I like 1.25 mg xoponex and 500 mcg atrovent as a combined neb to treat bronchoconstriction, 125 mg solumedrol to treat inflammation, and iv fluid to treat mucous production. In addition, getting some IV fluid on board in the process seems to mitigate the hypotension you get when a real nasty asthma exacerbation breaks. If this isn't doing it, depending on patient age and cardiac history, you can also go to subq epi or terbutaline. In real bad situations with a patient near arrest, 0.3 mg 1:10,000 epi IV can be helpful. I had one asthma patient in full arrest that I had intubated, but could not ventilate until I had epi on board and circulating.

Depending on what you have available to you, you can use albuterol instead of xoponex. albuterol is much less expensive, but seems to cause more tachycardia than xoponex. albuterol is also much more common in prehospital protocols. xoponex seems to be limited to the critical care transport setting outside of the hospital.

Erik

Doc
04-30-2006, 05:38
Thanks for your reply.

I like the choice of meds you picked too. Asthma is a multi-faceted disease process and should be addressed as such.

From what I've seen, some HCP's are reluctant to use the proper prophylactic meds with patients in the first place, leaving their patients to experience the exacerbations you are left to treat.

They also allow asthma medicine "holidays" where they take their patients off of their meds in order to give them a break from the routine. My daughter is an asthma (mild persistent type) patient who stays on her meds 365 days a year. She does not use rescue meds more than twice a week. She is a member of the cross-country team at school and does well. :)

Doc

medicerik
05-10-2006, 19:27
Doc,

Have you ever used ketamine for induction in asthma patients who need to be tubed. Seems like it would be great option in the field drug box. Puts the patient into a dissociative state and doesn't really impare respiration. The bronchodilatory effects of the ketamine should also be helpful

Erik

MAB32
05-27-2006, 15:00
Doc,

I have had asthma all my life. In the olden days (60's), the drug of choice besides Epi was Marax. Still around from what I hear. Many trips to the ER with sometimes up to 6 injections of Epi with the last one being Susphrine (sp?), this along with what I use to call the "Green" machine to assist with the inhalation therapy. Cannot remember what the inhaler was called that I use to carry around as child. Anybody know?

Now days, I use Ventolin prn, usually before I run.

No Singular as I get pnuemonia as a side effect.

Asthma is what kept me from getting in the Army way back when.

Now, here is question for all of you QP's.

Should "controlled" asthma keep an individual from getting into the Army, Rangars, and SF?:munchin

sf-doc
05-27-2006, 17:09
Doc,

Cannot remember what the inhaler was called that I use to carry around as child. Anybody know?

Asthma is what kept me from getting in the Army way back when.

Now, here is question for all of you QP's.

Should "controlled" asthma keep an individual from getting into the Army, Rangars, and SF?:munchin

In response the medication you used was probably Proventil. Usually 1-2 puffs as symtoms start to develop.

Also, AR 40-501 defines the enlistment and retention medical standards. Asthma is a disqualifying condition for enlistment. It is not however disqualifying for retention. This is based on the patients medical history. That is the Asthma has to be adaquately controlled (No exacerbations). The patient must also demonstrate his continued ability to perform his job.
There is a Chapter in AR 40-501 for the medical standards for SF. I do not remember if Asthma is specifically a disqualifying condition (I believe it refers you back to enlistment standards) but a waiver can be requested for most conditions if they are controlled.

Hope this answers your question.

Doc

Sweetbriar
05-27-2006, 20:05
I'm not a doc, but asthma must be more dangerous than I ever thought before . The husband of a co-worker died of it this week. She sent him off in the ambulance like before, went to take him some clothes in the morning and he was dead. I'm not about to ask her the details, but I see the word "arrest" used above. Will it make your heart stop, or does it become so impossible to breathe that all interventions are overwhelmed?

jasonglh
05-27-2006, 23:36
Will it make your heart stop, or does it become so impossible to breathe that all interventions are overwhelmed?

An acute episode of asthma called status asthmaticus is a life threatening event. It often does not respond to prn home meds like Proventil inhalers. People like me are stubborn and do not want to go to the ER if they can get out of it. If an attack does not respond to your normal PRN meds trying to wait it out is a bad idea. Respiratory arrest can occur causing death.

The only way I can describe it would be one minute your wheezing wondering why your damn inhaler is not working then suddenly the wheezing stops. Its not because you suddenly got better but because you are no longer moving enough air to wheeze. Next thing you know someone is coming at you with a laryngoscope.

Having 2 episodes from gradeschool mentioned in my medical record derailed any chance of me getting a waiver to enlist.

I control mine with Accolate and Allegra D for allergies twice a day plus a Proventil inhaler when it hits the fan. Cigarette smoke and felines really set mine off in particular.

Peregrino
05-28-2006, 10:41
This thread is something all asthmatics should see. Those who've never had an episode requiring hospitalization, especially those with adult onset that is "mostly" controlled with meds, still live with an "it can't happen to me" attitude. My wife has asthma, most probably as a result of exposure to "something" during the 1st Gulf War, and she's as guilty as any of them. (Apparently there is an unusually high percentage of 1GW vets with respiratory ailments.) Anyway - given the severity of consequences and the (relative) unpredictability of triggers for asthmatic episodes, I can't believe some of the civilian dive training agencies are training and certifying asthmatics. (One of the reasons I've decided to quit instructing - I'm tired of other people trying to force me to accept liability exposure I'm not willing to risk. Pursuit of profit has blinded most of these people to reality. One of my soapboxes - not the biggest anymore either. :p ) I take the wife's asthma seriously enough that I've got an 80% O2 deco bottle at the house if she ever has an attack that the meds won't handle. Eventually I'll be getting a mask type regulator for it. It's not as good as a dedicated O2 system, but I don't need a prescription to get it refilled. (Just one of the ridiculous things that require a prescription.) My .02 - Peregrino

medicerik
05-28-2006, 14:38
Status asthmaticus is actually a little more than an acute exacerbation. We don't consider a patient to be in status unless they don't respond to the initial run of meds to try and open up the airways.

A prolonged asthma attack can most definitely cause a cardiac arrest. It can occur from prolonged hypoxia (not enough oxygen) or can also occur from a pneumothorax. The cardiac arrests from asthma that I've managed have been results of big bilateral pneumothoracies. One was in a 14 year old who's parents sat on her for four days of an acute exacerbation because they didn't have insurance. The other was in a 68 year old male. We found his inhaler laying next to him on the ground. Once the pt's chest was needle decompressed, I got pulses back. The pneumothoracies in these patients can occur for a couple of reasons. These patients develop weak outpouchings of the pleura called blebs. The blebs can rupture causing the pneumothorax.

Fully understand the not wanting to certify asthmatics to dive. The last thing you need is someone 60 feet underwater who suddenly starts wheezing, panics, and bolts for the surface. It's not like you can just pull your regulator out of your mouth for a minute, take a couple of puffs off your albuterol inhaler, and then go straight back to strenuous physical activity.

Erik

MAB32
05-29-2006, 17:43
Asthma has always been a very sore spot with me. I wanted SF from the time I watched "The Green Berets" with John Wayne as a kid. When I went to sign up at the local Recruiter's office I signed a contract for at least a Ranger spot (if my mind serves me). I did however choose to not tell the Reqruiter that I had Asthma. He found out anyway (still a mystery to me) and gave me the "standard" two options. I chose the smarter of the two and became a Cop instead.:D I would of been much more comfortable being a "career" soldier than a career Law Dog.:)

Years later I am reading "Blackhawk Down" and find out that Keni Thomas had Asthma and the Army turned the other cheek. Not only during basic but all the way through Ranger Training and Somalia. I guess it just wasn't meant to be and I have to accept that even though it angers me from time to time.

I had a "severe" attack a number of years ago and ended up going into A-Phib. Had to be Cardio-converted under a max dose of Verced. I wasn't asleep like the doctor thought, and, well, you all know the rest of that story. The cause was too much Ventolin and not enough "gray matter" at the time. I have not made that same mistake again. Asthma and the meds to treat it are a double edged sword. Prednisone, Depo-Medrol and Kenalog were also popular back then, but with these meds came mood swings and weight gains (Cushings Type).

Oh, and by the way, the inhaler back then was called Alupent I believe(?).

I have yet to try any diving, so I am not sure if the pressure differences and/or the breathing underwater would cause me to have an attack. All I know is that my Asthma is more prone to happen around very cold air (winter) and
Cigarrette smoke. Also, in my case Cats are a my biggest worry/threat to my ability to breath. I usually take three puffs of Ventolin 15 minutes before I go jogging and I am good to go for 3-5 miles at a steady jog. I will also take it at work every four hours so I am not caught off guard as of recent my Asthma has seem to become more and more "exercise" induced rather than an allergy antagonist induced.

Back about a two decades ago, Asthma went through a very "lethal" period in time for people who had it. The drug of choice was Alupent(?) and it was being abused because people would have an attack and the normal two puffs (max dose) would not do the trick so more was better. It went from being OTC to script and back again under the name of Primatene I believe. Asthma meds, especially the "Beta-selective adrenergic agonists" can be a double edged sword as I found out. But I don't know of any Asthmatic who enjoys Cyanosis much.

jasonglh
05-29-2006, 20:11
Actually that was Ranger Steve Anderson that had severe asthma in the book BHD. In the movie they showed the actor portraying Ranger Brad Thomas take a puff of an inhaler in a nod to Ranger Anderson before he gets on the convoy to go back into the city.

I know how you feel about wanting to get in. My buddy and I were going to enlist together and I was wanting to go SF to be a medic. I had been off my meds for over 2 years with no trouble and was running daily on the farm. Obviously I didnt get a waiver but he got a waiver even though he was 40+ lbs overweight and couldnt run to his mailbox. I think everything happens for a reason though, I got my EMT and worked for years and now I am about to finish my RN.

Peregrino
05-29-2006, 21:09
I have yet to try any diving, so I am not sure if the pressure differences and/or the breathing underwater would cause me to have an attack. All I know is that my Asthma is more prone to happen around very cold air (winter) and
Cigarrette smoke. Also, in my case Cats are a my biggest worry/threat to my ability to breath. I usually take three puffs of Ventolin 15 minutes before I go jogging and I am good to go for 3-5 miles at a steady jog. I will also take it at work every four hours so I am not caught off guard as of recent my Asthma has seem to become more and more "exercise" induced rather than an allergy antagonist induced.

You seem like a nice guy so I'll go out on a limb here. I hope diving is not one of your lifelong dreams. I would strongly recommend you seek competent, qualified MEDICAL advice before you take up diving. Medical means MD certified in hyperbaric medicine, not the guy running the local dive shop or one of his buddies who "heard it was OK". Cold and/or exercise induced asthma is an absolute contraindication for diving. It's not worth risking your life. FWIW - Peregrino

sf-doc
05-30-2006, 03:00
MAB32
I agree totally with the advice you just got from Peregrino. Consult a doctor before undertaking any diving activities.

Doc

Doc
05-30-2006, 05:33
Doc,

Have you ever used ketamine for induction in asthma patients who need to be tubed. Seems like it would be great option in the field drug box. Puts the patient into a dissociative state and doesn't really impare respiration. The bronchodilatory effects of the ketamine should also be helpful

Erik

No I have not. Interesting thought though.

Doc
05-30-2006, 05:41
An acute episode of asthma called status asthmaticus is a life threatening event. It often does not respond to prn home meds like Proventil inhalers. People like me are stubborn and do not want to go to the ER if they can get out of it. If an attack does not respond to your normal PRN meds trying to wait it out is a bad idea. Respiratory arrest can occur causing death.

The only way I can describe it would be one minute your wheezing wondering why your damn inhaler is not working then suddenly the wheezing stops. Its not because you suddenly got better but because you are no longer moving enough air to wheeze. Next thing you know someone is coming at you with a laryngoscope.

Having 2 episodes from gradeschool mentioned in my medical record derailed any chance of me getting a waiver to enlist.

I control mine with Accolate and Allegra D for allergies twice a day plus a Proventil inhaler when it hits the fan. Cigarette smoke and felines really set mine off in particular.

Two terms that come to mind are "controllers" and "relievers".

Michelle
05-30-2006, 08:54
Great thread... great information. My father died from an asthma attack at the age of 62. Even though I poured over the autopsy report and learned it was from cardiac arrest, I didn't quite understand the mechanism of how/why until now.

Quick question: Although not an asthmatic myself, I have twice in my life had "asthma-like" symptoms, both times were when I was in very hot, dry temps (triple digits, no humidity). Is that abnormal? I see someone else here posting cold weather as a trigger.

Thanks,

m1

medicerik
05-30-2006, 13:14
Michelle,
any extreme in temperature, either hot or cold, can trigger asthma. What were you doing when you had the "Asthma like symptoms"?
Erik

MAB32
05-30-2006, 14:33
Peregrino and sf-doc,

trust me I would. I have worn a few M17A2's and recently an Avon S-10 around for a few hours in the hot sun for "Civil Disorder" training and didn't have a problem. Same goes for the SCBA. Not sure whether there is any simularity at all between the three and if the two are any "indicator" on how I'd do underwater?

Michelle
05-30-2006, 15:06
Michelle,
any extreme in temperature, either hot or cold, can trigger asthma. What were you doing when you had the "Asthma like symptoms"?
Erik

Erik,

First time it happened I was hiking in extremely hot, dry conditions. Second time I was just sitting in my Jeep... in the desert... stuck in traffic.... with a broken AC. It was 106 outside and I know it was a lot hotter than that in the vehicle. The situation in the car really freaked me out because I wasn't exerting myself at all.... just sitting there at the wheel when it hit.

m1

Doc
05-30-2006, 19:01
Do any of the asthma patients reading this thread or HCP's treating patients with asthma know what an asthma medicine holiday is and what are your thoughts on this practice?

:munchin

medicerik
05-30-2006, 19:20
There are specific reccommendations available about asthma and diving published by the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society. They are summarized as:

1). Exercise or cold induced asthmatics should not dive
2)Asthmatics requiring 'rescue or reliever' medication should not dive. Asthmatics on chronic maintenance bronchodilation ('controller') and inhaled steroids are thought to be able to dive.
3) Mild to moderate asthmatics with normal screening spirometry can be considered candidates for diving.
4). If an asthmatic has an attack, screening spirometry should be done and the individual should not dive until his airway function returns to normal.

It really is a decision that needs to be made between each indivudal patient and a QUALIFIED physician.

For anyone else reading in the Northeast Ohio area looking for physicians specializing in dive medicine, there are two hyperbaric chambers in that area. The chamber than can handle multiple patients is at Cleveland Clinic Huron Road Hospital in East Cleveland. In downtown Cleveland, St. Vincent's Charity Hospital has a single patient hyperbaric chamber. Both of these hospitals have physicians specializing in dive medicine. For those in other areas, the list of hyperbaric chambers and the physicians running those chambers can be found at: http://www.scuba-doc.com/listchmbr.htm

MAB32
05-30-2006, 19:41
Doc,

I have no idea what that is but you have my undivided attention.:munchin

By the way, I am a very nice guy! Just ask anybody!.:D

medicerik
05-30-2006, 21:03
Asthma Holiday -- Taking asthma patients off meds for a short period when they are less likely to be exposed to a trigger so they aren't stuck taking meds 365 days a year. My biggest concern is doing this in an asthma patient who then decides they were able to go a week/ten days without meds, why not longer? Then they choose not to restart the meds and then become uncontrolled again.

We see epileptics all the time who've gone "20 years without a seizure so I decided to stop taking my dilantin." Then all of a sudden they are having break through seizues they can't explain.

Erik

jasonglh
05-30-2006, 21:47
I could probably stop taking my Accolate in the winter but I dont have any trouble with side effects so I just stick with it. I have been on it since the day it hit the shelves as I had been waiting for it to be approved. Asthma meds have certainly come a long way since I was a kid in the 70's. Most of my troubles are allergy related and I live in KY where all the bad things grow. When harvest time gets here it overwhelms my allergy meds so I get a shot of decadron to get me through.

My last attack where I needed my "rescue" inhaler was over 2 years ago when I caught a face full of Camel non-filtered walking out of the hospital of all places. It had been so long between attacks when I made it to my truck I realized the inhaler in my glove compartment had been expired for over 2 years. I hate to spend the $25 on one just to keep it current but it beats taking a chance on an ER visit.

Doc
05-31-2006, 05:07
Asthma Holiday -- Taking asthma patients off meds for a short period when they are less likely to be exposed to a trigger so they aren't stuck taking meds 365 days a year. My biggest concern is doing this in an asthma patient who then decides they were able to go a week/ten days without meds, why not longer? Then they choose not to restart the meds and then become uncontrolled again.

We see epileptics all the time who've gone "20 years without a seizure so I decided to stop taking my dilantin." Then all of a sudden they are having break through seizues they can't explain.

Erik

Good answer.

Is an asthma medicine holiday a good thing?

Doc
05-31-2006, 05:13
I could probably stop taking my Accolate in the winter but I dont have any trouble with side effects so I just stick with it. I have been on it since the day it hit the shelves as I had been waiting for it to be approved. Asthma meds have certainly come a long way since I was a kid in the 70's. Most of my troubles are allergy related and I live in KY where all the bad things grow. When harvest time gets here it overwhelms my allergy meds so I get a shot of decadron to get me through.

My last attack where I needed my "rescue" inhaler was over 2 years ago when I caught a face full of Camel non-filtered walking out of the hospital of all places. It had been so long between attacks when I made it to my truck I realized the inhaler in my glove compartment had been expired for over 2 years. I hate to spend the $25 on one just to keep it current but it beats taking a chance on an ER visit.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10638

Check out the one airway one disease theory located lower down in the thread. ;)

Doc
05-31-2006, 05:15
There are specific reccommendations available about asthma and diving published by the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society. They are summarized as:

1). Exercise or cold induced asthmatics should not dive
2)Asthmatics requiring 'rescue or reliever' medication should not dive. Asthmatics on chronic maintenance bronchodilation ('controller') and inhaled steroids are thought to be able to dive.
3) Mild to moderate asthmatics with normal screening spirometry can be considered candidates for diving.
4). If an asthmatic has an attack, screening spirometry should be done and the individual should not dive until his airway function returns to normal.

It really is a decision that needs to be made between each indivudal patient and a QUALIFIED physician.

For anyone else reading in the Northeast Ohio area looking for physicians specializing in dive medicine, there are two hyperbaric chambers in that area. The chamber than can handle multiple patients is at Cleveland Clinic Huron Road Hospital in East Cleveland. In downtown Cleveland, St. Vincent's Charity Hospital has a single patient hyperbaric chamber. Both of these hospitals have physicians specializing in dive medicine. For those in other areas, the list of hyperbaric chambers and the physicians running those chambers can be found at: http://www.scuba-doc.com/listchmbr.htm

Thank you.

MAB32
06-04-2006, 12:54
jasonglh,

Thanks for correcting me on that one. I also will not be learning a new sport/hobby! Thanks all for saving my life and money!:)

Doc
06-10-2006, 09:33
I guess since no one is going to chime in on asthma medicine holidays I will simply state that there is no documentation that I can find that supports such a practice.

Asthma patients IMHO should stay on their meds 24/7, 365 days a year. Taking an asthma patient off their meds is like taking insulin from a diabetic patient.

Thoughts??? :munchin

Gypsy
06-10-2006, 12:21
Ok I'll chime in, not from a scientific perspective of course but as a patient.

I have asthma which evidently developed after a particularly evil bronchial illness about 5 years ago. Probably developed in tandem with the fact that I was working in a basement of a building and I'm sure mold count didn't help.

At first they thought it was just a virus, but I continued having problems so they put me on steriods. I hated them, they made me feel crazy. Several appointments later, they said it was asthma. After trying several inhalers (preventive) and having some severe or interesting reactions my doctor prescribed Pulmicort and I've not had an ounce of trouble (nor an attack) since. Matter of fact, I can't even remember the last time I needed to use the albuterol for "quick relief", though I do keep it with me just in case.

As far as a med holiday, my guess would be no for asthma sufferers but that's based on personal experience as I once went out of town for a long weekend and forgot my preventive....by the third day my lungs were feeling heavy etc.

Interestingly, my only trigger seemed to be hot and/or humid air. Still bothers me if I'm extremely active in that type of weather condition.

Doc
06-10-2006, 14:01
Gypsy,

Warm temperatures and high humidity are not good for asthma sufferers. A 50% humidity or less environment with cooler temperatures are optimal for most.

IMHO you got by without using your ICS inhaler for a few days due to the residual effect of the medication you are using and also possibly due to not coming in contact with one of your "triggers" during that particular time frame.

I learned a neat trick the other day from a lady Physician I call on. Her daughter is an asthma patient. When her daughter goes for a run, she braids her albuterol inhaler in her ponytail so she doesn't have to hold on to it while she runs. It's there if she needs it. Neat trick.

Gypsy
06-10-2006, 16:47
Doc, I agree. The weekend in question was in the winter months and since I have no other known allergies or triggers it wasn't really out of control. I figured if I started to experience any distress I would have had my doc call in a prescription to the local pharmacy.

Neat trick! I usually put things like keys, my cell phone etc in my "fanny pack".

Doc
06-10-2006, 19:10
You learn something new everyday.

I've heard the term before but never put 2 and 2 together before.

Thanks.

Doc
06-10-2006, 19:22
I'm not a doc, but asthma must be more dangerous than I ever thought before . The husband of a co-worker died of it this week. She sent him off in the ambulance like before, went to take him some clothes in the morning and he was dead. I'm not about to ask her the details, but I see the word "arrest" used above. Will it make your heart stop, or does it become so impossible to breathe that all interventions are overwhelmed?

Sweetbriar,

The inflammatory cells of an asthma patient hyper-respond and become inflamed to stimuli that does not bother you and I making it impossible to breathe.

MAB32
06-10-2006, 19:48
Doc,

IMHO, an "Asthma Holiday" is an extremely bad way of handling meds. I don't know who invented the term or the practice but I liken it to playing russian roulette. Whe I go running I put my Ventolin inside a small pocket that is on my cassette player. It is there when I need it and lately it is every other day. I do better when it is warm and humid just the opposite from other Asthma patients. I cannot handle dry cold air.

Gypsy
06-10-2006, 19:52
You learn something new everyday.

I've heard the term before but never put 2 and 2 together before.

Thanks.

Handy little thing that goes around the waist. FS would be proud, it's black leather and goes with everything. :D

Doc
06-10-2006, 20:01
Doc,

IMHO, an "Asthma Holiday" is an extremely bad way of handling meds. I don't know who invented the term or the practice but I liken it to playing russian roulette. Whe I go running I put my Ventolin inside a small pocket that is on my cassette player. It is there when I need it and lately it is every other day. I do better when it is warm and humid just the opposite from other Asthma patients. I cannot handle dry cold air.

You don't have your asthma under control if you need rescue (albuterol) meds "every other day".

The idea of warm humid air might be something different for you and me up here in northern Ohio.

Doc
06-10-2006, 20:09
Handy little thing that goes around the waist. FS would be proud, it's black leather and goes with everything. :D

I guess I was thinking of something that was worn braided in the hair. Sorry.

Sweetbriar
06-11-2006, 02:15
My lungs LOVE warm and humid air, and they tend to get a bit croupy (for lack of a better word) whenever I'm in a dry environment. I just spent two days in a casino and could feel the dry creep down in my chest because of it. I live in the deep South and keep the windows open as often as possible, even if it's just a few hours at night. Would that be an indicator that I'm unlikely to get asthma? Are there any solid predictors on who gets it or who wouldn't?

Doc
06-15-2006, 05:30
My lungs LOVE warm and humid air, and they tend to get a bit croupy (for lack of a better word) whenever I'm in a dry environment. I just spent two days in a casino and could feel the dry creep down in my chest because of it. I live in the deep South and keep the windows open as often as possible, even if it's just a few hours at night. Would that be an indicator that I'm unlikely to get asthma? Are there any solid predictors on who gets it or who wouldn't?

75% of people with asthma show signs and symptoms before the age of 7 yrs. I doubt you have it if it hasn't manifested itself by now. Could you get occupational asthma? Yes, but that's another story.

Atopy or a genetic predisposition to allergies is the number one factor as to who gets it. If one of your parents has/had allergies, you have around a 40% chance; if both of your parents have allergies the odds go up to around 60%.

Humidity is a trigger to asthma. Asthma patients should try and get the humidity in their home down to 50% or lower.

MadRooster
04-24-2007, 14:28
I had asthma with active symptoms back from when I was 6 years old to the age of 12. Took some heavy medication for it and I believe due to that I havent needed to take any medication for it nor had any symptoms for nearly 7 years now.

Asthmatic seizures are definetly nothing to joke about. I personally had around 3 of the more serious type of seizures, but never got hospitalized because of them, even though I was hospitalized for testing and treatment on a few occasions.

From what Ive gathered the early diagnosis and treatment of asthma play a key role in minimizing it's effects. A lot of physical excercise never hurt either.

Does e.g. the US Army test recruits for asthma? In a hypotethical situation would what I mentioned above be a disqualifier for attending SFAS/SFQC?

PS. Every person who has asthma should always keep the seizure medication with him/her.

Thank you for your time and answers. If my post was inappropriate then feel free to remove it.

Thanks

EDIT: Sorry for being stupid. A disqualifier it is.

The Reaper
04-24-2007, 14:40
I had asthma with active symptoms back from when I was 6 years old to the age of 12. Took some heavy medication for it and I believe due to that I havent needed to take any medication for it nor had any symptoms for nearly 7 years now.

Asthmatic seizures are definetly nothing to joke about. I personally had around 3 of the more serious type of seizures, but never got hospitalized because of them, even though I was hospitalized for testing and treatment on a few occasions.

From what Ive gathered the early diagnosis and treatment of asthma play a key role in minimizing it's effects. A lot of physical excercise never hurt either.

Does e.g. the US Army test recruits for asthma? In a hypotethical situation would what I mentioned above be a disqualifier for attending SFAS/SFQC?

PS. Every person who has asthma should always keep the seizure medication with him/her.

Thank you for your time and answers. If my post was inappropriate then feel free to remove it.

Thanks

This has been flogged to death.

Read the stickies.

TR