PDA

View Full Version : UFC

Warrior-Mentor
04-24-2006, 12:19
I just did a search...can't believe it's taken this long to start a UFC thread on this site!

Watch UFC 1, 2, 3 and 4 this weekend. Was interesting to see that now that we've seen what the sport has evolved into.

Looking forward to seeing the Royce Gracie /Matt Hughs fight May 27th.

Now if only the baby is 2 days late so I can watch it!

DunbarFC
04-24-2006, 12:47
Do you watch The Ulitmate Fighter at all ?

I even got my girlfriend to watch it. I think it's a great show

Warrior-Mentor
04-24-2006, 13:36
Thinking about getting season 1 on DVD.

DunbarFC
04-24-2006, 13:42
Thinking about getting season 1 on DVD.

I highly recommend it. It's miles beyond typical reality crap

vsvo
04-24-2006, 14:26
I bought my father-in-law the Ultimate Knockouts 1 & 2 DVD and we watched it with him. He watches UFC as often as he can, which drives my mother-in-law crazy.

Warrior-Mentor
04-24-2006, 14:31
Nothing like scoring points with the father-in-law by pissing off the mother-in-law... :)

vsvo
04-24-2006, 14:46
Nothing like scoring points with the father-in-law by pissing off the mother-in-law... :)
I must admit, besides the awesome knockouts, I watched that with extra special glee.:D

Dan
04-24-2006, 18:54
I've seen some of them in the past and watched one of the recent weekly shows. I saw Ken Shamrock was on that show, but he seemed a bit out of his league as a coach.

I met Ken in Bahrain around 1998. He was friendly and seemed to be a down to earth guy.

DunbarFC
04-25-2006, 12:36
I've seen some of them in the past and watched one of the recent weekly shows. I saw Ken Shamrock was on that show, but he seemed a bit out of his league as a coach.

I met Ken in Bahrain around 1998. He was friendly and seemed to be a down to earth guy.

I agree with you on Ken being out of his league

I think this year they went with the dueling coaches them - Tito Ortiz v Ken Shamrock to heighten the drama.

Funny because the show was great before they went this route

MtnGoat
05-08-2006, 21:15

Now if only the baby is 2 days late so I can watch it!
Hopefully you'll get to see it. Come on you can't get Pay-for-view at YPG Clinic :confused: :p

Five-O
05-09-2006, 05:28
I am slightly concerned about the beating Royce Gracie is about to receive at the hands of Hughes. I like legendary world class athletes going out on top and with style (Barry Sanders, Jim Brown)...not chasing a pay day. Gracie has submitted some great fighters and great strikers but I think the sport may have evolved past his considerable talents and he may be a little long in the tooth to face a great fighter in his prime. In any event, the fight will be entertaining and I hope they are both able to walk away from it. IMHO Full Contact Fighting is the most exciting pure competition in the world.

WM...if you like the UFC you may also enjoy PRIDE fighting out of Japan.

TN FISH
05-19-2006, 06:41
Five-O,

I agree with you totally... some athletes try to drag out their legacy and Gracie and his family are the UFC. Does Gracie think he has something to prove? He has a undefeated record, and I am sure there is another Gracie coming along very soon to pick up where the family has left off.

I may be a little bias.. Matt Hughes is a animal and being a country boy just makes me more of a fan. What ever advantage Gracie thinks he has is totally in his mind alone... Hughes is just as good on the ground as Gracie and he uses his strength as a combo with his submissions that to me gives him an advantage. So that’s the ball game because you know Gracie doesn't want to stand up and throw blow for blow with Hughes.

Hughes wins in a fight stoppage with the ref calling it off. I am calling it half way into the 2nd round...just because I respect Gracie enough to think he can avoid trouble for the first round.

I guess we will see.

Five-O
05-19-2006, 07:00
TN,
Very reasonable prediction. Gracie will be smart not slug it out with Huges as thats not his game. Gracie will (obviously) go to ground and attempt to submit Huges. Hughes is incredibly strong and difficult (not impossible) to take down due to an excellent sprawl technique. I have seen Huges get "caught" in submissions before and by sheer strength break free. I'm not sure if Gracie has ever faced a more well rounded fighter than Huges. Huges strength is the ground and pound. He'll shoot on a guy, pick him up and slam him on his back/head...then throw forearms and elbows. I have also seen him submit some great fighters (Georeg St Pierre)...Hughes is a total figher and will be well prepared. IMHO Gracie and Hughes represent the best of mixed martial arts and combat sports in their approach and execution as well as their public personas. Professional boxing can learn much from these two.

Huges in the 2nd....Stoppage.

Five-O,

I agree with you totally... some athletes try to drag out their legacy and Gracie and his family are the UFC. Does Gracie think he has something to prove? He has a undefeated record, and I am sure there is another Gracie coming along very soon to pick up where the family has left off.

I may be a little bias.. Matt Hughes is a animal and being a country boy just makes me more of a fan. What ever advantage Gracie thinks he has is totally in his mind alone... Hughes is just as good on the ground as Gracie and he uses his strength as a combo with his submissions that to me gives him an advantage. So that’s the ball game because you know Gracie doesn't want to stand up and throw blow for blow with Hughes.

Hughes wins in a fight stoppage with the ref calling it off. I am calling it half way into the 2nd round...just because I respect Gracie enough to think he can avoid trouble for the first round.

I guess we will see.

Bill Harsey
05-19-2006, 07:40
This is somewhat off topic but seeing one of the names mentioned makes me think, grappling with and controlling one single opponent can get you killed if the guy your fighting has a buddy nearby.

The Reaper
05-19-2006, 08:46
This is somewhat off topic but seeing one of the names mentioned makes me think, grappling with and controlling one single opponent can get you killed if the guy your fighting has a buddy nearby.

That is what they say, the soldier who will win a one on one unarmed combat fight is the one whose buddy shows up first with a loaded weapon. Especially if the fighter owes him money.

TR

Five-O
05-19-2006, 08:50
If someone is going to show up to the Gracie v Hughes fight with a 'gat..I am gonna subscribe to pay-per-view!

The Reaper
05-19-2006, 09:08
If someone is going to show up to the Gracie v Hughes fight with a 'gat..I am gonna subscribe to pay-per-view!

Only way I would want to take either of them on.

My gun-fu is strong!

TR

frostfire
05-19-2006, 20:05
WM...if you like the UFC you may also enjoy PRIDE fighting out of Japan.

PRIDE has different rules and set-up. One of the rule that I'm fond of is you're allowed to kick the opponents head even when they're on the ground. It adds realism IMHO.

WM Sir, if you like PRIDE as well and considering purchasing the DVD, make sure you get the one containing the epic battle between Royce Gracie and Kazushi Sakuraba. It is 90 minutes long! with no referee stoppages and no time-limits, the fight ending only in the event of a submission or knock-out. It was a homage to the fight between Helio Gracie and Master Kimura almost 50 years ago.

Five-O
05-20-2006, 09:58
What folks have to remember is that MMA UFC/Pride etc...is a sport and its participants are athletes not warriors not soldiers. I find it degrades real warriors (soldiers/Marines) when pro athletes compare themselves to warriors. Even though these guys are in tremendous condition and have been blessed with gobbs of talent they are paid performers and or entertainers. One need look no further than Pat Tillman to see the distinct difference between a true warrior and an athlete.

Frostfire, I mildly disagree with the Pride rules of kicking to the head when an opponent is on the ground. These guys are athletes (valuable assests to their respective organization) and kicking a guy in the head while he is on the ground can obviously cause serious bodily injury or death. I have no desire to see that...it just a sport. I agree though that its more realistic, but the safety of the fighter I think should come first. I also don't care for the constant stoppages when the oponents find themselves under the ropes.

TR, Standard body armor drill 2 to the chest, 1 to the head should be able to handle Matt Hughes. Chuck Norris however would defelect your puny bullets and roundhouse kick you to the grion and head. IMHO

Warrior-Mentor
05-20-2006, 11:38
One need look no further than Pat Tillman to see the distinct difference between a true warrior and an athlete.

Were you there when he was killed? Unless you served with Pat Tilman and know for a fact he was anything less than the Ranger he signed up to be, I recommend you look for another analogy.

The Reaper
05-20-2006, 12:03
Were you there when he was killed? Unless you served with Pat Tilman and know for a fact he was anything less than the Ranger he signed up to be, I recommend you look for another analogy.

I think that he is using Tillman as an example of a warrior. At least, that is what I read it to be. Safety on.

TR

Five-O
05-20-2006, 13:33
Whoa-Whoa-Whoa!!!
No, I was not there when Pat Tillman was killed.
My mention of Pat Tillman was with the fact he was both an athlete at the top of his game and a warrior at the top of his profession. I was speaking to the fact that many pro athletes say the are warriors but only Pat Tillman WAS a true warrior and literally put his money where his heart, head and mouth was. By enlisting as a soldier (Ranger or not) he demonstrated the true distinction between a warrior and some professional athletes who envoke the images of warriors or outright claim to be warriors.

WM, I regret you took my analogy as anything but sincere appreciation and respect for the actions of Tilman.

I'm still going with Hughes in the second by a stoppage.

Warrior-Mentor
05-20-2006, 13:58
Fair enough. I stand corrected. My misunderstanding.

Five-O
05-20-2006, 14:17
Thanks Sir, glad that was cleared up......crawling out of my Kpot now.

TN FISH
05-30-2006, 18:11
Well did anyone get to order it?

I was planning on it and then had family thing going on for the extended weekend so I didn't get to see it, but my buddy called me right afterwards and told me what went down. I guess the age factor played a role, and along with Hughes and todays fighters just are more well rounded. :lifter

Dan
05-30-2006, 18:45
Since you already know what happened...here's an image that says just about the whole match.

dennisw
05-30-2006, 20:02
It was an interesting fight to say the least. There was so much hype. They started off throwing some leg kicks without much affect. Hughes tried a round house kick to the head, but missed.

Hughes said he wanted to make it a stand up fight, but less than halfway throught he first round they started grappleling and it went to the mat. Hughes was too good of a wrestler and too strong for Gracie, and Hughes ended up on top. Hughes got Gracie in an arm bar, but did not have enough room between the pivot point and the mat. Gracie's face looked like a wooden indian showing zero emotion although it must have been painful.

Finally Hughes started throwing some shots, and Gracie rolled over. Hughes tried to get a bare naked choke, but Gracie defended it well. Hughes then started throwing side-to-side punches with most of them connecting. Some landed with great authority and they stopped the fight.

It's interesting to see the reaction in a guy like Gracie, who has never lost, after he's received an ass beating. He did not know how to react.

I wish the fight had lasted longer, but it was still a good fight.

frostfire
06-11-2006, 00:00

Well, it's over now...in less than 5 min. Glad I did not buy the tickets. I'd rather spend it on Gracie vs. Sakuraba

On a related note, that Hughes fellow got no neck!!! and he held his head down really well. Gracie was desperately trying to hook his neck to turn the tide of the match.

Croooz
06-12-2006, 10:37
The Gracie era is over...at least for Royce. He should've never taken this fight and was out of his league from the word go. This isn't the 90's when almost noone knew about BJJ. Every MMA in the ring knows it. They have to.

It was presented as old school vs new school but they were from two different schools. Gracie is BJJ personified and nothing else. Hughes is the complete fighter. Gracie bowed out of the UFC once BJJ was beginning to become en vogue. In his fight against Kimo, UFC 3, while he won he couldn't return. While not the beginning he did see or better said "feel" the writing on his face.

The Gracies can say their style revolutionized NHB fighting and the UFC specifically. However they are not invincible and Royce should've stayed out of the ring.