PDA

View Full Version : RL got a new piece of gear today . . .

Roguish Lawyer
04-21-2006, 18:55
Now I just need a new upper receiver! :boohoo

Sdiver
04-21-2006, 19:01
What....you got a new hat ?? :confused:

jatx
04-21-2006, 19:03
Perhaps a hacksaw, some JB Weld and six inches of Pic rail are in order...:D

Team Sergeant
04-21-2006, 19:30
Now I just need a new upper receiver! :boohoo

Not if you purchase this mount!

http://www.mountsplus.com/miva/merchant.mvc?page=MSP/PROD/EOTECH_MOUNTS/SAM-3BH-IGH

Eagle5US
04-21-2006, 19:59
I need one of those friggin Hats. :lifter

Eagle

Pete
04-21-2006, 20:13
Not if you purchase this mount!

http://www.mountsplus.com/miva/merchant.mvc?page=MSP/PROD/EOTECH_MOUNTS/SAM-3BH-IGH

Well, something new to plan for. Need to set aside about $550 or so for the mount and sight.

I couldn't find a rear view shot and the handle looks to come up about 1/3 of the way into the sight view.

Anybody got that rig and how does it work?

Pete

Warrior-Mentor
04-21-2006, 20:22
FWIW I bought the correct upper receiver and am glad I did.

Chris
04-21-2006, 20:43

Eagle

Sir, if it fits your head let me know, and I shall try too. (Size 8 - 64cm head, not blessed for adjustable hats).

RL, if it is within your means, a flat top will be more accommodating in the long run, and you won't be forced to co-witness. Nice pin.

Roguish Lawyer
04-21-2006, 23:58
FWIW I bought the correct upper receiver and am glad I did.

Do tell!

M4Guru
04-22-2006, 07:19
Getting the flat-top upper will be around the same price as the A2 mount and you can sell your old one to repay some of the expenses, plus you can use whatever BUIS you like. Should you ever want another optic like an ACOG etc. you will arleady be set up for it. Also, you can mount the EOtech anywhere you want in regards to eye relief with the flat top, in case you decide you don't like it out that far, and if you ever try the 3x multiplier for the Aimpoint/EOTech you have that as an option.

Plus it will look cooler....:D

Pete
04-22-2006, 07:30
....you can sell your old one to repay some of the expenses.....

Plus it will look cooler....:D

Sell my old one? Never.

Looks like I'll just have to get a whole new gun so I can mount the sight right.

Gee, I guess that's why I'm working this AM, earning new gun money.:D

Pete

The Reaper
04-22-2006, 12:41

Eagle

You need to visit the right SF guys.

And yours will have a different logo on the back than RL's.

Got one for you right here in my office.

RL:

Contact Rock River Arms, they make great uppers. Get a flattop with the 16" 1x9" twist barrel, regular handguards and install a rail system. Order the carrying handle and cut it down for a QD sight, or order a Back-Up Iron Sight like the ARMS #40L.

TR

Warrior-Mentor
04-22-2006, 14:47
FYI. One word of caution...not all upper receivers are 100% interchangeable. Seems Colt has one set of sizes for the take down pins and other manufacturers have another. I had to get a special adapter take down pin to allow me to swap them out. It wasn't hard, just want you to be aware, as you may need to get an extra piece of gear to be able to mount it correctly. Best bet is to bring your lower reciever with you to the shop before you buy it. If you get it online, be prepared for it not to fit.

Roguish Lawyer
04-23-2006, 11:44
You need to visit the right SF guys.

And yours will have a different logo on the back than RL's.

Got one for you right here in my office.

RL:

Contact Rock River Arms, they make great uppers. Get a flattop with the 16" 1x9" twist barrel, regular handguards and install a rail system. Order the carrying handle and cut it down for a QD sight, or order a Back-Up Iron Sight like the ARMS #40L.

TR

I'm planning to send it to Wes. (Of course, I've been saying this for a couple of years.) I'll call you to get some input on what I should ask him to do.

Roguish Lawyer
04-23-2006, 11:45
Best bet is to bring your lower reciever with you to the shop before you buy it. If you get it online, be prepared for it not to fit.

I'm sending the whole thing to a shop to have it redone the right way. Believe me, I'm not qualified to do it myself!

The Reaper
04-23-2006, 14:32
FYI. One word of caution...not all upper receivers are 100% interchangeable. Seems Colt has one set of sizes for the take down pins and other manufacturers have another. I had to get a special adapter take down pin to allow me to swap them out. It wasn't hard, just want you to be aware, as you may need to get an extra piece of gear to be able to mount it correctly. Best bet is to bring your lower reciever with you to the shop before you buy it. If you get it online, be prepared for it not to fit.

AFAIK, Colt is the only one who does that.

Wes is a very good bet, do just the upper, if you can. You may not want the lower sent out of Kali, but I am sure that you know the law and process much better than I.

TR

Warrior-Mentor
04-23-2006, 22:12
AFAIK?

Gypsy
04-23-2006, 22:36
AFAIK?

Not that I should presume to know what TR meant, but I think it's "As far as I know".

The Reaper
04-23-2006, 22:38
AFAIK?

As Far As I Know.

TR

bberkley
04-23-2006, 23:38
Heck RL, send me your upper and I'll do it for you. I've got all the tools, and have rebarrelled 2 ARs, well, built 2 uppers, rebarrelled a 3rd.

If your AR is a Bushmaster, then any standard aftermarket upper will work.

The last one I built up with my old Bushmaster 20" HBAR, I got from here (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/A4FlatTopUpperReceiver.html), along with bolt, bolt carrier, and charging handle. I had already acquired a Bushmaster lower from my dealer without an extension tube.

Heck, I would even loan you my tools if you wanted to do it yourself.

Roguish Lawyer
04-24-2006, 11:18
Thanks, TR. I think I can do it. From the CA AG web site:

I have a registered assault weapon. If I travel outside of California with the firearm, can I bring the firearm back into California?

Yes, as a long as it is transported in accordance with Penal Code sections 12285 and 12026.1. These sections of law may be accessed on the DOJ Firearms Division Website's Online Dangerous Weapons Control Laws.

Can I take a registered assault weapon to a gunsmith for repairs?

Yes. However, you cannot leave it with the gunsmith unless he or she holds a California Assault Weapons permit. Otherwise, you must remain with the firearm while it is being repaired. If the assault weapon must be shipped to the manufacturer for repairs, a firearms dealer with an assault weapons permit must handle the shipping.

bberkeley, thanks for the offer, but I think I'm going to send it to Wes.