PDA

View Full Version : Spotter recommendations

GreenMtnTac
04-20-2006, 10:13
I'm currently researching spotting scopes for use in the sand box. Mostly I'm just asking opinions. So this seems like a good place to ask. :cool:

What would you take with you to the sand box that would get the job done and stand up to the environment? A ranging reticle would be nice, too. I know Leupold makes spotters with ranging reticles, anybody else? Without spending a fortune, I'm leaning towards Kowa, but I have no idea how they would stand up in a military environment, and I don't know that they produce any spotters with reticles.

I'm just an old civilian shooter, so my experience is pretty much useless here. Comments appreciated.

The Reaper
04-20-2006, 14:38
I'm currently researching spotting scopes for use in the sand box. Mostly I'm just asking opinions. So this seems like a good place to ask. :cool:

What would you take with you to the sand box that would get the job done and stand up to the environment? A ranging reticle would be nice, too. I know Leupold makes spotters with ranging reticles, anybody else? Without spending a fortune, I'm leaning towards Kowa, but I have no idea how they would stand up in a military environment, and I don't know that they produce any spotters with reticles.

I'm just an old civilian shooter, so my experience is pretty much useless here. Comments appreciated.

The Kowas are sharp, and tough.

The Euro glass is nice as well, just not sure whether they make a reticle that would work for you.

TR

mugwump
04-20-2006, 18:19
Huh, something I peripherally know about. I sent/loaned a Kowa 60mm spotting scope and Zeiss rangefinder to a guy whose gear was destroyed when his Stryker burned. They are sealed, nitrogen-filled, incorporate a sunshade, eyepieces are a la carte and digital camera adapters are cheap compared to the Leupold/Zeiss/Swar'v. The guy I sent it to preferred the angled eyepiece over the straight-through - I believe it rotates but check. I know the eyepiece I sent did not have the ranging reticle -- the rangefinder was used for that.

He had no complaints for the 3-4 months he used it.

Eagle Optics had the best prices when I was shopping. Eagle Optics (http://www.eagleoptics.com/search.asp?q=kowa&pid=3982)

kgoerz
04-20-2006, 18:39
The big question is who will be your spotter?????
The Spotting scopes mentioned above are excellent. Also those tear away sheets people use for PDA'S and Cameras will save your glass life. Any store like Office Depot has them. Most of them are big enough to cover a Spotting Scope. Box of fifty cost about ten bucks. I use them on anything I have with a screen or glass. Just a clear sticky sheet that you put over your glass or screen. When it gets scratched tear it off and put a new one on. Leaves no glue behind.

GreenMtnTac
04-20-2006, 19:33
Thanks, gentlemen, I appreciate the info.

kgoerz, thanks for the tip on glass protection. Sounds like an excellent idea for use in a place like Iraq.

NousDefionsDoc
04-20-2006, 19:59
He has his moments....:)