PDA

View Full Version : DOBUTAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE INJECTION

CPTAUSRET
04-20-2006, 09:22
http://www.rxmed.com/b.main/b2.pharmaceutical/b2.1.monographs/CPS-%20Monographs/CPS-%20(General%20Monographs-%20D)/DOBUTAMINE%20HYDROCHLORIDE%20INJECTION.html

Any of you FOG's had this procedure?

Dobutamine Echocardiogram

Similar to the stress echocardiogram, but for patients who aren't able to exercise, the medication dobutamine is given by IV to quicken the heart rate. Ultrasound images can then be taken to reveal which parts of the heart may not be receiving enough blood or oxygen because of blocked arteries.
Allow at least 90 minutes for this appointment
No smoking or drinking alcohol the same day of the test
An intravenous IV line is started in your arm
Dobutamine will be slowly given through the IV (This will increase your heart rate)
Ultrasound images of your heart will be recorded during the test
Your ECG and Blood Pressure will be checked throughout the whole test
It's recommended that you stop taking your "Beta Blocker" medications 24 hours prior to testing
*Always check with your doctor about which medications you will need to stop taking prior to

I am scheduled for one tomorrow. I told them I would take the regular stress test, but they don't think my knees will take it...

Terry

The Reaper
04-20-2006, 14:34
No, but they sent me down to Nuclear Medicine and pumped me full of some injectable gamma ray emitters and were going to shoot me up with something to make my heart race till I told them that I could speed-walk up to an 80% heart rate for 15 minutes.

Sounds similar to me.

I would try to hump on the treadmill over having my heart artificially raced.

TR

CPTAUSRET
04-20-2006, 14:52
No, but they sent me down to Nuclear Medicine and pumped me full of some injectable gamma ray emitters and were going to shoot me up with something to make my heart race till I told them that I could speed-walk up to an 80% heart rate for 15 minutes.

Sounds similar to me.

I would try to hump on the treadmill over having my heart artificially raced.

TR

I have been outvoted. My knees are shot, but I figure I can go 15 minutes on a treadmill.

The head of cardiology and Nancy are good friends, and they decided for me. So I am scheduled around noon tomorrow, I shall let you know what it's like. If they don't like what they see then it's another Angiogram.

Terry

Eagle5US
04-20-2006, 19:18
Good procedure Terry-Thalium is another chemical we routinely use for this. Much nicer on you than even a "Modified Bruce protocol".
Trust in Nancy...you of ALL folks know how friggin SMART she is:lifter

Let us know how it all turns out.

Joe

CPTAUSRET
04-20-2006, 19:32
Good procedure Terry
Trust in Nancy...you of ALL folks know how friggin SMART she is:lifter

Let us know how it all turns out.

Joe

Joe:

That she is!

I'll let you know.

Terry

jatx
04-20-2006, 20:08
Be well, Terry.

CPTAUSRET
04-20-2006, 20:21
Be well, Terry.

Will do, got it covered.

Thanks.

CoLawman
04-20-2006, 20:30
Best of luck and hope they give you a clean bill of health!

CPTAUSRET
04-20-2006, 20:33
Best of luck and hope they give you a clean bill of health!

Thanks, buddy.

No worries!

jasonglh
04-20-2006, 22:43
At 34 I don't think I qualify for FOG just yet but I had this done in Jan 2005. I had the chemical stress and a heart cath the next day. It was "interesting" to say the least to be the patient for a change. Good luck to you Terry!

Peregrino
04-20-2006, 23:03
Good luck Terry. Here's hoping the angiocath won't be necessary. I've got the full round scheduled in a couple weeks myself. Not fun and not looking forward to it. Though it does beat the alternatives. Peregrino

CPTAUSRET
04-21-2006, 07:54
At 34 I don't think I qualify for FOG just yet but I had this done in Jan 2005. I had the chemical stress and a heart cath the next day. It was "interesting" to say the least to be the patient for a change. Good luck to you Terry!

Thanks for the well wishes. You get a clean bill of health?

jasonglh
04-21-2006, 08:15
Yes sir for the most part. The stress test was abnormal but the cath showed no blockages. I had been on Vioxx for some time so my MD was concerend about my frequent chain pain episodes. I got a pretty stern lecture about my sky high cholesterol and high stress lifestyle. Working EMS had led to me eating fast food on the go 3 times a day and working 2 jobs plus trying to go to school. Looking back I think it really is true that medical personel tend to take care of everyone else yet neglect their own health. My cholesterol still isnt great but its down to a manageable level and I have shed a few pounds staying out of the drive thru windows.

By the way I am in my psych rotation of RN school right now at a state hospital. Hats off to Nancy for all her hard work. I dont think I could face a place like that on a daily basis give me my ICU anyday!

CPTAUSRET
04-21-2006, 08:31
Good luck Terry. Here's hoping the angiocath won't be necessary. I've got the full round scheduled in a couple weeks myself. Not fun and not looking forward to it. Though it does beat the alternatives. Peregrino

Good luck, brother.

I have had the Angiogram twice, first time in 1980...It was cool then cause I was able to view what's transpiring in my heart as the dye was squirted in.

MAB32
04-23-2006, 13:59
TMI