PDA

View Full Version : H&K's new 45ACP offering.

rubberneck
04-18-2006, 13:43
I found these pics on a different message board in a thread about H&K's entrant in the JCP trials. I am sure the H&K afficiandos here will approve.

Some of the QP's might recognize the gentleman in picture number 2. Since he is identified by name in another one of the pictures that appeared in the magazine I hope it is ok to post them here without blacking his face out.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
04-18-2006, 14:23
The only thing I notice in slide number two is that he appears to have his thumb jammed up along the slide. Perhaps this is to reduce the rate of fire:D

Chris
04-18-2006, 14:28
It will reduce the skin on his thumbs! :eek:

Looks good, I like the USP series pistols. I hope the adjustable backstrap on this version will fit my hands better. Better come in black.

Tuukka
04-18-2006, 14:33
Well, having owned an USP for eight years and apart from a very few, user induced failures, it has never failed to fire.

With the proper people providing input on this new pistol, it looks to be an excellent weapon.

Team Sergeant
04-18-2006, 14:39
The only thing I notice in slide number two is that he appears to have his thumb jammed up along the slide. Perhaps this is to reduce the rate of fire:D

Like this Sir?

Its a new sort of hold. You can place your thumb on the slide all you like.... its what I also teach....;)

Peregrino
04-18-2006, 14:54
Like this Sir?

Its a new sort of hold. You can place your thumb on the slide all you like.... its what I also teach....;)

It works. Takes a while to integrate though, especially if you learned to lock the firing thumb under the non-firing thumb (like most of us older guys did). Personally I've never had problems with slide contact while using it. It does make it easier to manipulate switches on rail mounted pistol lights with the non-firing thumb. My .02 - Peregrino

NousDefionsDoc
04-18-2006, 15:33
I shoot thumbs forward too. Like in the TS picture.

That HK is a nice looking weapon. Do we like this one TS?

rubberneck
04-18-2006, 15:42
I am glad I am not the only one here who shots with his thumbs high. Here are a couple more pics.

NousDefionsDoc
04-18-2006, 15:55
I thought L. Vickers is a 1911 guy?

Team Sergeant
04-18-2006, 16:08
I shoot thumbs forward too. Like in the TS picture.

That HK is a nice looking weapon. Do we like this one TS?

Ya know, phrench fires now come “biggie sized”.

We wear different size underwear, shoes, hats etc. Its time for weapons to change size to accommodate shooters different hand sizes.

Most don’t have large hands. Most don’t possess a guerilla grip. Most lack the upper body and forearm strength requisite to shoot handguns accurately, again and again.

H&K has (evidently) re-invented the grip close to that of a 1911. Easy to wrap your hands around and easier to “hold on” to a hand cannon such as the .45. It makes up for not possessing grip strength. We'll see. (I've yet to shoot one.)

I like most things H&K, but the weapon pictured sure is ugly…..

TS

NousDefionsDoc
04-18-2006, 16:14
Well, I don't want an ugly gun, big phrench phries or somebody elses underwear.

And I never had a problem holding on to my gun, no matter how many times I shot it - IT'S MY GUN.

I'll wait for your review.

rubberneck
04-18-2006, 16:46
I thought L. Vickers is a 1911 guy?

He is but IIRC he was hired by H&K to be the project manager on the 416 project. I guess he stayed on after that. Since the JCP bid excludes single action only guns the 1911's are out of the picture.

M4Guru
04-18-2006, 17:04
Larry Vickers has stated he is no longer in the 1911 business, unless it's to fill paid orders on his wait list. He says this is his new 1911...:eek:

I like this thing, my P2000 9mm has been nothing but great-and this is just a bigger P2000 in a better caliber...Beats an M9, that's for sure.

Q
04-18-2006, 17:57
I got a thing for Colt's. Especially the 1911 .45. I've got small hands and weak wrists. Ain't dropped it yet. I'm prejudiced against the 9mm. It might be easier to shoot but doesn't have the punch (as you all already know). I've heard through the grapevine that contractors and others are picking up .45's when ever they can because of the knock down capability. They seem to like the heavier cal. long guns too. I.E. 7.62. Looking for M-14's over M-4's. Of course this is just hear say. Can anyone verify??

Jack Moroney (RIP)
04-18-2006, 19:07
Like this Sir?

Well who says you can't teach old dogs new tricks? Guess it's time to get retrained. Guess the next thing you'll tell me is that they did away with the metal canteen, the wooden handle entrenching tool and the Davey Crocket?

M4Guru
04-18-2006, 21:01
I got a thing for Colt's. Especially the 1911 .45. I've got small hands and weak wrists. Ain't dropped it yet. I'm prejudiced against the 9mm. It might be easier to shoot but doesn't have the punch (as you all already know). I've heard through the grapevine that contractors and others are picking up .45's when ever they can because of the knock down capability. They seem to like the heavier cal. long guns too. I.E. 7.62. Looking for M-14's over M-4's. Of course this is just hear say. Can anyone verify??

I found a shit-ton of old USGI 1911's in Iraq, in beautiful shape. A lot of 1919 .30 cals and a few M1 Garands, also. Point is, there are a lot of .45s to be had, apparently left over from what we gave them to fight Iran with was what I was told. I dunno. We never found too much ammo, but I guess there are other methods for that. I had a 1937 Remington Rand that was a keeper for sure...but it was put in the demo pile with all the other gems and blasted when we left...:(

I think any combat unit that wants M14s is getting them, as well. They're common in Big Army units in decent numbers as a "designated marksman" rifle.

Smokin Joe
04-18-2006, 22:34
Ah crap another pistol I have to buy. I might have to start selling some safe queens at the rate I'm getting stuff now days.

TS,

I don't think I'm going to have an excuse on why I shouldn't buy this new H&K. I will wait for your review as well but from the looks of it they have address all of my excuses.

HaveBlue
05-11-2006, 22:55
I got a chance to shoot an earlier prototype of this gun a year ago. Very, Very nice. I own 8 HK"s (most in 45) and 6 1911 style guns. The HK45 combines the best of both. USP barrel & recoil assembly, slimed up slide, 1911 grip angle, a single stack mag (well kinda 1 & 1/2) adjustable back strap and now the change able side panels from th new P30 (P3000) may also be added. There will be full size and Compact. The HK45 Compact uses USP Compact mags. The full size mags will fit in the Compact. Threaded barrel versions will also be offered. Good news is HK is tired of waiting for all the changes in the JCP and other pistol contracts and has pretty much decided to just put the gun into production. We could see them by the fourth quarter of this year. The tan colored guns were the ones submitted for JCP testing, the color was what was requested. Something about less IR than a black gun through NVG's. Productions guns will be offered in tan or black.

12B4S
05-12-2006, 01:36
Well who says you can't teach old dogs new tricks? Guess it's time to get retrained. Guess the next thing you'll tell me is that they did away with the metal canteen, the wooden handle entrenching tool and the Davey Crocket?

Herr Colonel.... ;)

First. Yep you can have a thumb on the slide. You will not feel it while shooting. That night or the next day, you feel a tingle type thing. No big deal, even after 300 rounds. TS had his hands full, teaching us last Tuesday. It was RL's third time....... all of them with TS. Quite impressive. After all he does live in the land of the grasseater. Hmmmmmmm. to much to type.

However, yeah.... they did away with the metal canteen as you well know. ;) the reason being, for example, when I was a Boy Scout. If one put soda in a metal canteen, it wrecks it. :) I dunno know if they have come up with a super, high tech, space age material for the entrenching tool. Those things were no fun anyway........

DPB
05-12-2006, 07:00
Q,

From what I've seen, at least for contractors, that's a negative on seeking heavier caliber weapons. The only guys I've seen with .45s appeared to be USMS working in the Green Zone. There is effectively no .45 ammo available, and since late '04/ early '05, the guns haven't been readily available either, due to the reasons M4guru mentioned. Most of the reputable companies are issuing G19s, but there are a few SIGs and 92s floating around as well.

Same for long guns. There are no readily available 7.62 long guns that are as functional around vehicles as M-4s. Truth be told, of all the Army guys I've seen, in both the red and green zones, there aren't very many of them carrying M14s either. Since this is very much a war on wheels, all of the vehicles carry heavier weapons, but Army has the same problems maneuvering longer guns in and out of vehicles while wearing 50 pounds of armor and accessories. Some of the contractor companies still run the roads with AKs, but everyone who can get ARs into country is using ARs.

Add the fact that an increasing number of contracts will fire you if they catch you with a non issued weapon, there are not that many people getting overly creative with the blasters.

HaveBlue
05-20-2006, 10:01
If you missed the article in SGN there is a full copy of it on Mr. Vickers new website, Vickers Tactical.

vickerstactical.com

DrMark
06-10-2006, 23:06
I'm looking forward to this HK45. I thought my USP Compact 45 would be my only 45 ACP H&K... apparently not.

Larry Vickers has stated he is no longer in the 1911 business, unless it's to fill paid orders on his wait list. He says this is his new 1911...:eek:

You never forget your first love...
http://www.vickerstactical.com/VT1911.htm

x SF med
06-15-2006, 09:26
OK, I feel old now, I still use a modified Weaver hold - non firing thumb under firing pinky, non firing hand supporting firing hand. I might just have to break down and buy one of the new HKs, nice looking weapon, I'll see if there are any for testing at the local range.

HOLLiS
06-15-2006, 13:51
I found a shit-ton of old USGI 1911's in Iraq, in beautiful shape. A lot of 1919 .30 cals and a few M1 Garands, also. Point is, there are a lot of .45s to be had, apparently left over from what we gave them to fight Iran with was what I was told. I dunno. We never found too much ammo, but I guess there are other methods for that. I had a 1937 Remington Rand that was a keeper for sure...but it was put in the demo pile with all the other gems and blasted when we left...:(

Those might have been captured from Iran. Iranis had western base/US weapons the Iraqis were part of the Soviet base.

Though the West delcared a neutral stance between Iraq and Iran weapons was suppplied to Iran, when Iraqi forces were making serious headway in to Iran. By 1985 Iran was able to reverse the gains the Iraqis made. The west made a offer to Iran and the Irani pretty much told what the west what to do with the offer. After that all western support ended. The war dragged on for another 3 years. The support was based on not allowing the Soviets to extend it's influence to enclude Iran.

Team Sergeant
06-15-2006, 14:17
OK, I feel old now, I still use a modified Weaver hold - non firing thumb under firing pinky, non firing hand supporting firing hand.

If you're still using the Weaver you are old...... most using it still carry six shooters.;)

Come on out to Phoenix (when it drops below 100 degrees) and we'll go shooting.

TS

x SF med
06-15-2006, 17:04
TS-
If I can get time off work you have a deal, haven't been to Phoenix in a long time. Now if I can just figure out how to get vetted... and get through the NJ maze to own a handgun again.

But you do have to admit the Weaver is a good stable platform, and places the barrel directly between the eyes, w/o forcing a locked elbow on either arm.

rubberneck
06-15-2006, 18:07
x_sf_med, where in NJ are you? If you have any questions regarding NJ archaic gun laws send me a pm and I help you out.

FMA11
11-13-2006, 11:12
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but does anyone know when this model will be available to the public? I can't seem to get a straight answer on the web.

Thanks in advance.

jbour13
11-13-2006, 11:38
The program is suspended as far as SOCOM is concerned, it may still be up for grabs in the civilian sector though. The 9mm version has been ordered by German Customs Administration ordered 13,500 for their personnel. I still hope there is a future for this, just because I want one. :)

HaveBlue
11-16-2006, 00:05
HK has announced at a recent event at Blackwater that the guns are going into production despite the JCP cancellation. Should be on our shores first quarter of 2007 (once it gets thru all the BATF BS). Guns will be all black. The full size will have replaceable side panels to adjust palm swell. The Compact will be the version shown in SGN with only the replaceable back panel.
The 9mm gun that the German Custom bought is the P30 (formerly P3000) basically a P2000 with replaceable side panels.

gits
02-07-2008, 01:25
In about 2 months I will be looking at maybe picking up an HK45 for my first handgun purchase as a graduation/birthday present. I am wondering if anyone here has shot it, and if so how does it compare to shooting a USP?

HaveBlue
02-11-2008, 22:56
Well I already have 2 posts in this thread so know were I stand.
I got an HK45 last month and picked up the HK45c today. I will be retiring my P2000 for edc after I get a few rounds threw this one.

maximus
05-01-2008, 01:04
Saw an update on the HK45 full-size. On M4Carbine.net, Larry Vickers says that H&K overlooked a few things, near the end of the project when he was not involved. Guys who plan to get the full-size might want to check this out.

Here's his summary:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13580

"The problem area involves the trigger guard/mag release/trigger overtravel area - there is some excessive overtravel which magnifies the fact that some edges and corners inside the trigger guard and the L shaped mag catch bite the trigger finger when you shoot the pistol - this affects approx 75% of the people who shoot the weapon; same goes for the HK P30 except it is not as bad with a 9mm vs a .45 - the HK 45 Compact is not really a problem as it was left in the same configuration as the prototype HK 45's with a P2000 style frame (which all things considered I wish the full size had been left alone but then again that is another story also....)"

Vickers goes on to say that he still believes in the HK45 as much as ever, and that David Bowie of Bowie Tactical Concepts bowietacticalconceptscom can do some mods for about $100 that resolve the issue.

gits
06-08-2008, 14:43
Just picked up an HK45C and just fired through 150 rounds today. HK has won my heart :lifter. Recoil is definitely less than the USP in 45. Started shooting at 5-7 meters and was definitely impressed with myself shooting a .45. I'm by no means an expert at shooting, but when I fired 3-4 rounds through a single hole trying to see how my grouping was. It sure felt pretty damn good:D Looking forward to throw a bunch more rounds through this gun. Just thought I'd throw an update with my experience on the HK45.

fng13
02-10-2010, 17:15
Didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I would ask here. Now that it has been a while I'm sure more people have experience with the hk45c. I have a USP 45c and am thinking about selling it to fund the HK45c. I use my USP for CC and am looking at the HK45c because it is supposed to be slimmer.

I am looking for any new thoughts on the HK45c, as well as thoughts on the value of selling my USP for this new model.

Thanks,
fng

jw74
06-08-2010, 10:34
Didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I would ask here. Now that it has been a while I'm sure more people have experience with the hk45c. I have a USP 45c and am thinking about selling it to fund the HK45c. I use my USP for CC and am looking at the HK45c because it is supposed to be slimmer.

I am looking for any new thoughts on the HK45c, as well as thoughts on the value of selling my USP for this new model.

Thanks,
fng

Slimmer?
hk usp/c 45 overall width: 1.14"
hk45c overall width: 1.42"
http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/pistols.asp

DinDinA-2
06-08-2010, 11:59
However...the HK45C has two more round mag capacity at 10 vs the 8 round capacity of the USP compact at 8.

jw74
06-08-2010, 14:30
Yep that's true. Doesn't make it any slimmer though and that was what I was responding to.

fng13
06-08-2010, 17:23
Yep that's true. Doesn't make it any slimmer though and that was what I was responding to.

That width is with the slidelock levers I was referring to actual slide/grip dimensions.

jatx
06-08-2010, 19:34
I wish that they hadn't included the decocker. I've got about 3k rounds through my 45C, including a CSAT course, and I still occasionally decock the weapon during a rapid fire sequence (usually a failure drill). I use a thumbs forward grip, and it is a nasty surprise to find that you suddenly have a DA trigger pull after 3-4 rounds of SA. The only solution seems to be a much tighter grip than is necessary with my other handguns.

fng13
06-08-2010, 20:45
I wish that they hadn't included the decocker. I've got about 3k rounds through my 45C, including a CSAT course, and I still occasionally decock the weapon during a rapid fire sequence (usually a failure drill). I use a thumbs forward grip, and it is a nasty surprise to find that you suddenly have a DA trigger pull after 3-4 rounds of SA. The only solution seems to be a much tighter grip than is necessary with my other handguns.

How do you find it in comparison to the USP model?

Lanyard
06-09-2010, 08:42
JATX,
You could try the V9 detent plate, makes the HK45 work just like a 1911. Only $10 from HK USA. Lots of shooters like the LEM DAO, no safety & no decock ($100).

All the different Variants at the bottom of this page.

http://hkpro. com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57:the-usp&catid=6:the-pistols&Itemid=5

Lanyard

dr. mabuse
06-09-2010, 11:26

gits
06-09-2010, 11:40
Have about 2400 rounds through my HK45c no malfunctions whatsoever. If you check out http://pistol-training.com/ they've ran over 16k through the fullsize version. With no malfunctions or breakages. More reason to drink the HK koolaid.

Hand
01-03-2013, 08:07
Just plunked down a down payment on an hk45c yesterday, partially because of the reputation HK carries with members of this board and partially as a big "you are number one" to Feinstein, her bill and her supporters.

I'm looking forward to seeing the difference between this compact and my P220 .45.

Of note: the store was eerily empty of new rifles, shotguns and carbines, of all calibers and "assault" flavors. They are selling ammo under a single box per caliber per day per customer rule. The knife case, reloading shelves, survival goodies racks and hand gun cases are either empty or sparsely populated at best.

Dusty
01-03-2013, 08:15
Just plunked down a down payment on an hk45c yesterday, partially because of the reputation HK carries with members of this board and partially as a big "you are number one" to Feinstein, her bill and her supporters.

I'm looking forward to seeing the difference between this compact and my P220 .45.

Of note: the store was eerily empty of new rifles, shotguns and carbines, of all calibers and "assault" flavors. They are selling ammo under a single box per caliber per day per customer rule. The knife case, reloading shelves, survival goodies racks and hand gun cases are either empty or sparsely populated at best.

:cool: Can't go wrong.

Barbarian
01-03-2013, 08:35
:cool:Can't go wrong.

I concur. Just be careful, as they tend to fire every time one pulls the trigger.

Dusty
01-03-2013, 08:46
I concur. Just be careful, as they tend to fire every time one pulls the trigger.

lol Yeah, and you have to get your barrel bushing re-fitted every few hundred rounds, and bend your mainspring into the right shape when it starts acting up, and keep an eye on your lugs and recesses for wear...wait...what? :D

Don't get me wrong, I love a 1911. I love a '58 panhead, too. But the HK 45 is just about flawless.

Hand
01-03-2013, 09:06
Ive got that impression from positive feedback on many different levels. The only difficult thing right now is finding rounds to feed her with.

Dusty
01-03-2013, 09:26
Ive got that impression from positive feedback on many different levels. The only difficult thing right now is finding rounds to feed her with.

Load your own.

doctom54
01-06-2013, 08:15
Load your own.

That could be a problem if you haven't all ready started and have the correct components. As well as ammo, there are no powder or primers to be found currently

Hand
01-07-2013, 08:48
That could be a problem if you haven't all ready started and have the correct components. As well as ammo, there are no powder or primers to be found currently

That's exactly where I'm at. I am not set up for this. The local range (Shooters) will sell you 1 box per caliber per day. That works just fine for me and prevents me from shooting up my 'stockpile' .

I took the new HK out yesterday and put 150 rounds through her. Coming from a SIG P220 in .45 (which I loved) to this HK45C was a pleasant surprise. After I got back from the range, I deep cleaned my SIG and put her away. I love her but this HK is definitely a better gun.