PDA

View Full Version : Special Forces Provide Dental Care in Amu Shabi, Iraq

Dan
04-15-2006, 19:55
Special Forces Provide Dental Care in Amu Shabi, Iraq
By Spc. Anna-Marie Hizer, 133rd Mobile Public Affairs Detachment

AMU SHABI, Iraq - A smile can light up one's face... and today, more than 200 Iraqis had a reason to smile.

Iraqi Army troops, along with U.S. Special Forces medics, Civil Affairs and 1st Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division Soldiers, traveled to a school in Amu Shabi, Iraq, to provide a Dental Assessment and Care Clinic for local citizens.

"[We are] concentrating on dental support," said a Special Forces medic, who asked that his name be withheld. "It allows us to give something back to the community."

The group spent five hours evaluating and treating patients of all ages. They performed extractions and temporary fillings and gave tips on proper oral hygiene - tips that, according to the medics, are vital to helping the people maintain their teeth.

"It's a lack of knowledge," the SF medic said. "We're giving them classes on proper dental hygiene."

Another reason for the assessment was to show the Iraqi Army's and Minister of Health's presence in the area.

"It helps enforce the [position of] the IA and the Iraqi Ministry of Health," medics said. "It shows the Iraqi people that their health care system does work."

Major Jack Scharrett, Company B, 451st Civil Affairs Battalion, added that their presence will help reinforce the people's belief in their government.

"We have seen some problems and some unrest [in the area]," he said. "So we want to ensure that the people know that the government of Iraq is helping them."

The medics noted that the response was good, reflected by the massive turnout at the small school.

"The response has been fantastic," they said. "They're grateful for the IA's interest in their community."

Dan
04-15-2006, 20:05
AMU SHABI, Iraq - A U.S. Special Forces medic works on an Iraqi woman's teeth during a dental assessment and care clinic today. Medics, along with 1st Brigade Combat Team troops and Iraqi Army soldiers, provided care and prevention tips to citizens at a local school.

Dan
04-15-2006, 20:06
A U.S. Special Forces medic gives an Iraqi boy a numbing injection during a dental assessment and care clinic today. Medics, along with 1st Brigade Combat Team troops and Iraqi Army soldiers, provided care and prevention tips to citizens at a local school.

Dan
04-15-2006, 20:06
AMU SHABI, Iraq - Iraqi citizens wait to be seen during a dental assessment and care clinic today. Medics, along with 1st Brigade Combat Team troops and Iraqi Army soldiers, provided care and prevention tips to citizens at a local school.

Sacamuelas
04-15-2006, 20:09
...:lifter :lifter

Pete
04-15-2006, 20:32
...:lifter :lifter

18Ds have to get their training in every chance they can. I went for my Dive Phs. and the new Group surgeon would not sign of on it because I had my wisdom teeth, only three. He had a thing about them.

He was going to do all three at once so my team medic tagged along for a look see. The Dentist did the first once and my medic did the next two. It was a little hard to voice any objections at the change over.

Within the year he was doing similar stuff in Africa.

You young Medics never trun down a chance to get some good training in. Sometimes you don't have to look too far. You never know when you'll need a given skill.

Pete

Think I worked with the best SF medics ever fielded. Don't we all?

Sacamuelas
04-15-2006, 20:41
I'm no SF medic Pete... but I agree with everything you typed. I am proud of those guys. FWIW, that is exactly why I am on this site. Trying to help out, improve, and expand the skill sets of our SF medics.

You take someone out of pain, or even better, their child out of pain or infection...and watch how their hearts and minds follow. :D

The Reaper
04-15-2006, 20:48
BTDT, got the dental T-Shirt.:D

TR

Cincinnatus
04-15-2006, 20:51
...and watch how their hearts and minds follow. :D

That happens when it's their teeth that get yanked, too? :D

Kingfisher
04-18-2006, 08:16
Reaper, That second pics a good one. Medic is trying to hold em' down and wrestle a tooth out at the same time. Looks like fun!

The Reaper
04-18-2006, 11:49
Reaper, That second pics a good one. Medic is trying to hold em' down and wrestle a tooth out at the same time. Looks like fun!

That ain't no medic, that is our Junior Demo Man.:D

TR

Kyobanim
04-18-2006, 11:56
That ain't no medic, that is our Junior Demo Man.:D

TR

That's why he's working so hard, he's trying to pull it out instead of blow it out.

:D

casey
04-18-2006, 17:50
Naw, look closer - he actually crimping the cap to the time fuse