PDA

View Full Version : RL needs your legal assistance, please . . .

Roguish Lawyer
04-13-2006, 18:38
Have you ever seen one of those pictures where you look at a little part of it and think it's something, then you step back and look at the whole thing and say, whoa!, it's actually something totally different?

What are pictures like that called? I am trying to find a good one to use in a trial and am having a tough time.

:munchin

Croooz
04-13-2006, 18:42
Military manuals. :cool:

Try "Optical puzzle" (http://www.planetperplex.com/en/gallery.html)

Sdiver
04-13-2006, 18:58
S,

You mean something like this ??

Here's the site if it is.

http://www.sapdesignguild.org/resources/optical_illusions/foreground_background.html

Ambush Master
04-13-2006, 19:09
S,

http://www.sapdesignguild.org/resources/optical_illusions/foreground_background.html

That's it!!! Perceptual Organization

Roguish Lawyer
04-13-2006, 19:17
S,

Not really. I have in mind looking at only PART of a picture and seeing one thing, then seeing something else when you look at the whole thing.

Maybe I should explain what I'm trying to accomplish. We represent the defendant in a case. The plaintiff's lawyer is going to give a presentation that will make our client look awful by focusing entirely on two terms of a complex transaction. Viewed in isolation, these terms make the deal look horribly oppressive to the plaintiffs.

In order to get the jury to stop hating our client, we need them to consider the entire transaction and understand that it is a good deal for everyone. The terms the plaintiff is focusing on are really not unfair at all if you understand the whole deal. I need to do something to get their attention early on, and I'm thinking about starting with part of a totally unrelated picture or photograph, then showing them the whole thing to make them want to hear about the whole story in our case.

Warrior-Mentor
04-13-2006, 19:30
I think I know what you're talking about...one of the examples that comes to mind is a Power Point slide show I saw a while back.

Slide 1: Lots of skin that appears to be the cleavage of an attactive woman.

Slide 2: Zooms out and shows it is actually the armpit of Ponch from CHIPs.

Very disturbing.

Parhaps not right for your case...you want the ugly picture up from and the attractive one second. ;)
JM

gunnerjohn
04-13-2006, 19:39
Are you talking about mosiac of photos? This is where they use thousands of unrelated photos that become a great large picture. Or are you talking about the paintings that Rembrandt used to do?

Roguish Lawyer
04-13-2006, 19:41
Not really looking for a mosaic. Could be a photo of an angry guy stabbing with a knife, then you pan out and see he's defending his baby against a wolf?

gunnerjohn
04-13-2006, 20:01
RL.. those are called Ambiguous Illusions. This is the general term to the type. There are many sub-categories in this field. If you google the term, it will come up with more information than I can type.

Sdiver
04-13-2006, 20:21
S,

What I could come up with is, "Visual Preception".

Give this site a go. There's some interesting things in there.

http://www.yorku.ca/eye/thejoy.htm

Hope it helps.

Peregrino
04-13-2006, 20:46
RL - Try some of the paintings by Hieronymus Bosch.

http://www.artchive.com/artchive/ftptoc/bosch_ext.html

There's a lot of material there for the vivid imagination. Some of his pieces were used for religious/alegorical themes. You can isolate demons, etc. from a piece that was actually an alter decoration. HTH - Peregrino

Roguish Lawyer
04-13-2006, 21:03
Thanks for the help, guys. I'll spend some more time on this tomorrow.

aricbcool
04-13-2006, 21:03
I think I know what you're talking about...one of the examples that comes to mind is a Power Point slide show I saw a while back.

Slide 1: Lots of skin that appears to be the cleavage of an attactive woman.

Slide 2: Zooms out and shows it is actually the armpit of Ponch from CHIPs.

Very disturbing.

Parhaps not right for your case...you want the ugly picture up from and the attractive one second. ;)
JM

Oh God, make it stop! I fell for that one awhile back. Oh the horror! :boohoo ;)

--Aric

Sdiver
04-13-2006, 22:05
Thanks for the help, guys. I'll spend some more time on this tomorrow.

Awwww Heck....just plead insanity and throw yourself on the mercy of the court.

You might find one or two Kings fans on the jury, that feels your pain about NOT making it into the playoffs. :D

CoLawman
04-13-2006, 22:18
Perhaps Optical Illusions. Here is a site with a variety of illusions.

http://mightyillusions.blogspot.com/

Good strategy, let us know what you finally use for your visual aid.

Roycroft201
04-13-2006, 23:04
Several years ago 'Magic Eye' was hot.

http://www.vision3d.com/

"Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Eye
The books feature autostereograms, which allow people to see 3D images by focusing on 2D patterns. ........
The Magic Eye images have a horizontally repeating pattern which differs slightly with each repetition, therefore giving the illusion of depth when each eye focuses on a different part of the pattern. ..........."

Good luck with your case, RL.

RC201

Team Sergeant
04-14-2006, 07:50
Not really looking for a mosaic. Could be a photo of an angry guy stabbing with a knife, then you pan out and see he's defending his baby against a wolf?

Kinda like these?

Roguish Lawyer
04-14-2006, 09:31
EXACTLY, TS! I don't want to use something political, but that's the idea.

jatx
04-14-2006, 10:05
Why don't you just stage the photos? Maybe something light-hearted with kids or animals...

Team Sergeant
04-14-2006, 10:10
Not really. I have in mind looking at only PART of a picture and seeing one thing, then seeing something else when you look at the whole thing.

You may want to photo shop this picture...... kinda gives one an understanding of magnitude of things that are not readily apparent until viewed as a whole.

JMI
04-14-2006, 12:23
RL - Try some of the paintings by Hieronymus Bosch.

http://www.artchive.com/artchive/ftptoc/bosch_ext.html

There's a lot of material there for the vivid imagination. Some of his pieces were used for religious/alegorical themes. You can isolate demons, etc. from a piece that was actually an alter decoration. HTH - Peregrino
I took a few Northern Renaissance Art classes in college and Bosch was one of my favorites.

Seth
04-14-2006, 12:38
Have you ever seen one of those pictures where you look at a little part of it and think it's something, then you step back and look at the whole thing and say, whoa!, it's actually something totally different?

What are pictures like that called? I am trying to find a good one to use in a trial and am having a tough time.

I've never heard of a specific name for that type of photoset. In old photo-jounalism, it's known as a 'false prespective crop'.

Just find a large detail laden photo, that has a visual context to your audience or subject, then crop tightly to isolate an area of detail that mis-leads, through assumption or familiarity. Second reveal is the full image that relates more information and drives home the point.

For instance, in TS's iceberg image, isolate the cruise ship so much of the iceberg is omitted, next image reveals the unseen danger. Key is to start with large detailed image.

If you are up against a time crunch ( it's a trial, afterall ) I'm willing to help.

I've got a huge database of images ( No royality or copyrights ), so if you can broad-stroke the context, I can scrouge up some image candidates. You'll likely need them on poster board (20"X 30" ) for exhibits. If you are in a real crunch, I can make-ready the poster boards and get those to you in a few days.

I did this type of work for my household SJA, so it's familiar territory.

-Seth

Sdiver
05-13-2006, 00:04
R. L.

Just saw something that might interest you. Was watching The Tonight Show, and Leno had Tom Hanks on as a guest. He brought along a clip of his new movie coming out on the 19th, The Da Vinci Code.

The clip he brought was exactly what you're looking for. The scene was of Hanks' character giving a speech and showing pictures.

The fist picture is of a person in a white pointed hood (looking like a KKK member). He asks the audience what this emotions this brings up. The audience answers, "Hatred", "Racists", ect. The picture is then pulled back to reveal that the person in the hood wasn't a member of the KKK, but actually a Priest of an order in Spain.

Just wanted to give you a heads up, that this might be something you're looking for. I'm looking for the clip on the web for you, but right now it's been NO JOY.

Roguish Lawyer
05-13-2006, 07:50
R. L.

Just saw something that might interest you. Was watching The Tonight Show, and Leno had Tom Hanks on as a guest. He brought along a clip of his new movie coming out on the 19th, The Da Vinci Code.

The clip he brought was exactly what you're looking for. The scene was of Hanks' character giving a speech and showing pictures.

The fist picture is of a person in a white pointed hood (looking like a KKK member). He asks the audience what this emotions this brings up. The audience answers, "Hatred", "Racists", ect. The picture is then pulled back to reveal that the person in the hood wasn't a member of the KKK, but actually a Priest of an order in Spain.

Just wanted to give you a heads up, that this might be something you're looking for. I'm looking for the clip on the web for you, but right now it's been NO JOY.

Thanks, S.

brewmonkey
05-13-2006, 11:54
R. L.

Have you checked Youtube.com?

Sdiver
05-13-2006, 16:02
Have you checked Youtube.com?

Brew,

Thanks for the tip. Looks like it might have possibilities. Did a quick search over there and hit on Hanks on the Dave Letterman show, but he brought a different clip with him.

Will check back on it next few days and see if someone uploads the Leno appearance.

Right now, Google, is just hitting with the movie trailers.

R.L. .... I can tell ya, it's EXACTLY what you're looking for.

Sdiver
05-17-2006, 00:28
FOUND IT !!!!

http://whatisthedavincicode.blogspot.com/2006/05/tv-watch-tom-hanks-on-conan-obrien.html

S,

Here's the clip I was looking for. It's one of Hanks on the Conan O'brien show.

Click on the above link.
Find the clip of Hanks on the O'brien show link under the "Media" section. It should be under the advertisement for the movie to the right of your screen(it may take awhile to download...it did for me), it comes up on Quick time.
Once it's downloaded, instead of watching the whole clip, (it's something like 18 min long), click on the button that's two over, to the RIGHT of the Play button . It should take you to the end of the clip. Once there, hit the button to the LEFT of the "Play" button. This will slowly take you backwards/rewind.
The clip from the movie is about at the 17:15 mark.

The clip picks up right after the part that I mentioned above.

Hopefully this will help you in some way, give you a few ideas and such.

S

Roguish Lawyer
05-17-2006, 08:16
Thanks, S. Downloading it now.

Roguish Lawyer
05-17-2006, 08:26
Wrong clip, right? I'm looking for a segment right before what you linked to? :confused:

Sdiver
05-17-2006, 08:40
Well...when clicking on the above link, it should take you to Tom Hanks on the Conan O'brian show. You know, it's one of those where a celib, goes on a talk show and brings along a clip of their "New" movie that they're promoting....yada..yada..yada.

Once on that link....scroll down a bit, and look for the "Media" section on the right hand side, (It should be under the ad for the movie posters w/ the Mona Lisa looking back at you).

Look for the Hanks on O'brian show link, (should be about # 9 or 10 down). Click on that. Takes about 45 sec to down load, that'll take you to the clip from the show.

The clip from the movie is towards the end of that.

danjam
05-17-2006, 09:33
This pic was made famous, because is looks like this Palestinian has just got the snot beat out of him by the Israeli policeman.

The actual story as we know is:
http://www.fraudfactor.com/ffmediafraud9001.html

I think this is what you mean...

Roguish Lawyer
05-17-2006, 10:55
Well...when clicking on the above link, it should take you to Tom Hanks on the Conan O'brian show. You know, it's one of those where a celib, goes on a talk show and brings along a clip of their "New" movie that they're promoting....yada..yada..yada.

Once on that link....scroll down a bit, and look for the "Media" section on the right hand side, (It should be under the ad for the movie posters w/ the Mona Lisa looking back at you).

Look for the Hanks on O'brian show link, (should be about # 9 or 10 down). Click on that. Takes about 45 sec to down load, that'll take you to the clip from the show.

The clip from the movie is towards the end of that.

I found the clip. My question is whether this is the right part of the movie, because it does not appear to be.

Sdiver
05-17-2006, 22:28
I found the clip. My question is whether this is the right part of the movie, because it does not appear to be.

That's the clip of the movie, that I saw on the Leno show too.

The Obrien clip just picks up with the trident of Poseidon, then goes into the Swastika, then into the "Peace" symbol.

The one on the Leno show just had the hooded figures that people thought were KKK, but were Spanish monks....then the next part is the trident, ect.