PDA

View Full Version : A Poll and Discussion for TR

Roguish Lawyer
03-20-2004, 14:23
Which is the better Van Halen?

(I voted other, but will withhold my explanation until later.)

Surgicalcric
03-20-2004, 14:42
hmmmm...

Each had their good and bad points I think.

Sammy Hagar is a better musician, but I think DLR had a better stage presence.

just my .02

The Reaper
03-20-2004, 15:08
I am a Sammy Hagar fan, and not a DLR fan, but I agree with James, DLR puts on a better show, and the VH songs were better back then as well, IMHO.

It is hard to cover a previous artist's music and improve on it, but few can dispute that the Red Rocker probably has better range and control than DLR. "High Hopes" is a lesser known classic demonstrating Sammy's vocals.

Ask echoes, she is the resident rock expert, and I think knows some of the VH members.

As afr as vidoes go, this remains my all time favorite commercial:

http://webservernt.d2g.com:81/Movies/Nissan%20300ZX%20-%20Barbie%20Dolls.qt

TR

Kyobanim
03-20-2004, 15:26
Sammy for me. I always thought that Roth held the band back creatively. Besides, I always enjoyed covering Hagar over Roth, anyone can yell and scream but it takes a degree of talent to cover the range of Hagar's voice.

IMHO

echoes
03-20-2004, 15:29
Originally posted by The Reaper
I am a Sammy Hagar fan, and not a DLR fan, but I agree with James, DLR puts on a better show, and the VH songs were better back then as well, IMHO.

It is hard to cover a previous artist's music and improve on it, but few can dispute that the Red Rocker probably has better range and control than DLR. "High Hopes" is a lesser known classic demonstrating Sammy's vocals.

Ask echoes, she is the resident rock expert, and I think knows some of the VH members.

http://webservernt.d2g.com:81/Movies/Nissan%20300ZX%20-%20Barbie%20Dolls.qt

TR

Reaper, wow! I always thought of you as an "original" type of guy...Now, I know for sure! :D
David Lee has washed down too many substances to be taken seriously...IMHO. But, Sammy Hagar does a great job picking up ladies....So He is a viable replacement!

Holly (wink)

Roguish Lawyer
03-20-2004, 15:58
I agree with the various comments above. I really think they are two completely different bands, and therefore voted "other."

Sammy is a good Republican, and I suspect this may have had something to do with TR's response.

Sammy is a musician. Dave is an entertainer. Different things. I like both of their solo stuff too. Was playing "Yankee Rose" loudly in the car on the way to work today. But the best solo tune IMO is "There's Only One Way To Rock" by Sammy. It's better when Eddie plays it, though. :)

echoes
03-20-2004, 16:17
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
I agree with the various comments above. I really think they are two completely different bands, and therefore voted "other."

You know...I am speaking from a tiny little musician standpoint...They were not "two different bands" though. They are Van Halen, an incredible drum-kick-bass line, that different singers approached.

To think of it this way, I am to Music, what You All are to SF.
I am a "Music Natzi" so-to-speak. :D

Right-On RL!
Holly

The Reaper
03-20-2004, 16:35
I always favored the guitar riffs of VH myself. Some of the best I have ever heard.

Was unaware that Sammy was a Repub, or a perv. Now I KNOW which way to vote.

Concur with the "There's Only One Way To Rock" vote as well.

Wicked!!

TR

Roguish Lawyer
03-20-2004, 17:19
Six votes, and none for Dave. I must say that I am surprised.

Team Sergeant
03-20-2004, 17:37
I'd also have to vote for Sammy. Dave's a funny guy but Sammy plays some serious tunes.

Gypsy
03-20-2004, 18:03
Definitely Sammy Hagar.

lrd
03-20-2004, 18:39
. . . the VH songs were better back then as well, IMHO.This is what makes it hard to choose. I like Sammy better, but I like the earlier songs better.

http://webservernt.d2g.com:81/Movies/Nissan%20300ZX%20-%20Barbie%20Dolls.qt Ken never had a chance, which is why I was always "borrowing" my big brother's GI Joes. :p

Gypsy
03-20-2004, 18:50
Originally posted by lrd
Ken never had a chance, which is why I was always "borrowing" my big brother's GI Joes. :p

You and me both. GREAT blast from the past on that commercial TR!

Roguish Lawyer
03-20-2004, 18:54
Widely overlooked fact:

Sammy Hagar did the title track for Fast Times at Ridgemont High, one of the great films in the history of the United States. :)

The Reaper
03-20-2004, 19:05
Widely overlooked fact:

Sammy Hagar did the title track for Fast Times at Ridgemont High, one of the great films in the history of the United States. :)

I believe that I have that in my MP3 collection.

Funny, I just mentioned that movie yesterday to one of my co-workers.

Concur, a classic piece of Americana.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
03-20-2004, 19:26
"Are you in my class?"

"I am today."

Pandora
03-20-2004, 20:10
Is there a Best VH song poll?

I voted Sammy and offer a hijack to other Sammy favs:

Where Eagles Fly

And there is nothing like a blazing summer day, top down on the convertible and cranking out, "I Can't Drive 55"

brownapple
03-20-2004, 23:11
I voted for David Lee Roth.

Regardless of the individual talents of the two, Van Halen made better music with David Lee Roth than they made with Sammy Hagar. Maybe that is because Roth isn't a musician and let the Van Halen boys have more freedom. Maybe it is some other reasons, but it remains that the music was better with David.

ktek01
03-21-2004, 02:57
"Are you in my class?"

"I am today."

"What are you, people? On dope?"

I voted for Roth, the early VH was the best IMO. I do like the Red Rocker though, my favorite Hagar tune was Heavy Metal. Who remembers that movie? LOL

Head bangers in leather
Sparks fly in the dead of the night
It all comes together
When they shoot out the lights
50,000 wats of power
And it's pushin' overload
The beast is ready to devour
All the metal they can hold
Reachin' overload
Start to explode

It's your one way ticket to midnight
Call it Heavy Metal
Higher than high, feelin' just right
Call it Heavy Metal
Desperation on a red line
Call it Heavy Metal noise

Tight pants and lipstick
She's riding on razor's edge
She holds her own against the boys
Yea, cuts through the crowd just like a wedge
Ohh, can you feel the static
So many contacts being made
We've got up front fanatics
Tearing down the barricade
To reach the stage
Can you feel the rage

echoes
03-22-2004, 10:52
Originally posted by Pandora
Is there a Best VH song poll?

I voted Sammy and offer a hijack to other Sammy favs:

Where Eagles Fly

And there is nothing like a blazing summer day, top down on the convertible and cranking out, "I Can't Drive 55"

I am right there with you Panda! :)

I know I will catch hell for not bringing up old tunes from 5150, and OU812, but...I love "Poundcake".

Holly

DunbarFC
03-22-2004, 10:56
It's like Classic Coke and New Coke

DLR all the way

I think we can all agree that the Gary Cherone VH era is an abomination that shall never be spoken of again

Surgicalcric
03-22-2004, 11:03
Originally posted by DunbarFC
I think we can all agree that the Gary Cherone VH era is an abomination that shall never be spoken of again

It would have never been spoken of at all had you not brought it up. :D

Valhal
03-22-2004, 11:21
Very few bands had an impact on guitar playing and rock like VH first album. Roths singing style and eddies crazy guitar riffs defined hard rock for maybe a decade afterwards. I voted for Roth, but its like like comparing apples and bananas. My favorite Hagar is when he was with Montrose.

Your rock candy baby
Hot sweet and sticky

The Reaper
03-22-2004, 11:28
When I first heard Michael Jackson's "Beat It" on the radio, I had to go to a record store ASAP and confirm that it was Eddie VH on the guitar solos.

Finger work from hell, the man is a genius.

TR

Valhal
03-22-2004, 11:31
Being a guitar player for the last 25 years I agree completely. I wish Eddie would go back to his roots for one more album and shock and awe again.

DunbarFC
03-22-2004, 11:39
Originally posted by Surgicalcric
It would have never been spoken of at all had you not brought it up.

:p

I'm knocking some out for my stupidity !

echoes
03-22-2004, 11:48
When I first heard Michael Jackson's "Beat It" on the radio, I had to go to a record store ASAP and confirm that it was Eddie VH on the guitar solos.

Finger work from hell, the man is a genius.

TR

Yes, finger dexterity is the key! I had to buy the Music Man EVH in '95...before he switched to Peavy, and made the Wolfgang.
I can only say that my personal dexterity increased ten-fold after playing it.

Very good for muscle building as well, which must be why Eddie has stood the test of time. :)

Holly

D9
03-22-2004, 11:51
You want to talk finger dexterity, take a look at Chet Atkins or Mark Knopfler - they did it with both hands!

Everytime I hear Chet Atkins Lover Come Back to Me, I doubt all over again how one man can make so many sounds come out of one guitar.

echoes
03-22-2004, 11:52
Here it is: The Music-man EVH:

Valhal
03-22-2004, 11:56
I don't mean to hijak, maybe we should start another thread and discuss the attributes of the guitar gods, but no one comes close to Hendrix. Over the years the more I learned the more I would look at his phrasings and say how and the hell did he come up with this. Jimi is beyond human.

echoes
03-22-2004, 12:07
Van Halen is great because they have stood the test of time, IMHO. I wonder if anyone here caught the Tour with Sammy and Dave? I missed that one. hehehe

Holly

DunbarFC
03-22-2004, 12:10
The Van Halen Greatest Hits CD I think is the best CD to pop in for a run or a trip to the gym

I missed that tour echoes but I did see Sammy last summer and he puts on a great show

I wish I could have seen Diamond Dave in his prime but I was a bit too young

Valhal
03-22-2004, 12:13
Echoes, my favorite part of that guitar is the fret board, they don't get much better. What do you think of the pickups? The guit shops don't let me crank the amps up to 11 on try outs.
Mark

ktek01
03-22-2004, 12:30
Saw Sammy a couple of years ago, I thought the part where he hands out bras before the show for the women to throw up on stage was a bit lame. :munchin

echoes
03-22-2004, 15:08
Originally posted by Valhal
Echoes, my favorite part of that guitar is the fret board, they don't get much better. What do you think of the pickups? The guit shops don't let me crank the amps up to 11 on try outs.
Mark

2 Custom DiMarzio's, humbucking thier way to earplug limits! I ran mine through the 5150 half-stack, and I swear even at larger gigs, never had to go up past 4...but, you know, I am just a girl and all... ;)

All 22 frets sounded as crisp as the day it was made, to Eddie's specs. Wow, I gotta stop talking now about it.
Holly

Razor
03-22-2004, 17:01
Originally posted by ktek01
[B... my favorite Hagar tune was Heavy Metal. ...[/B]

Now imagine that tune blasting over the net a few minutes before a mech Bn TF attack. Heavy Metal embodied. :)

The Reaper
03-22-2004, 17:44
Originally posted by Razor
Now imagine that tune blasting over the net a few minutes before a mech Bn TF attack. Heavy Metal embodied. :)

Good, but I prefer AC/DC's "Hell's Bells" for that.

Moving into firing position during the the intro, opening fire as soon as the vocals start.

TR

echoes
03-22-2004, 17:50
Good, but I prefer AC/DC's "Hell's Bells" for that.

Moving into firing position during the the intro, opening fire as soon as the vocals start.

TR

I have always wondered "if" SF Soldiers really did play music while firing? I can think of a few Zepplin songs that could be killer while discharging the weapon?

Great info.

Holly

The Reaper
03-22-2004, 18:04
Originally posted by echoes
I have always wondered "if" SF Soldiers really did play music while firing? I can think of a few Zepplin songs that could be killer while discharging the weapon?

Great info.

Holly

Razor is talking about in a Mech unit, where everyone is in a vehicle, with radios, an intercom, speakers, etc.

Saw that in the old days, in a NATO tank gunnery competition, the Germans rolled out in their Leopards with Steppenwolf's "Born to Be Wild" playing over the PA system.

The crowd was wowed till the M1s rolled out to "Hell's Bells". The American tankers cleaned the course and carried the day.

Zepp? "Stairway to Heaven", "Black Dog", "Rock and Roll", or "Kashmir" would work for me.

TR

echoes
03-22-2004, 18:11
Razor is talking about in a Mech unit, where everyone is in a vehicle, with radios, an intercom, speakers, etc.

Saw that in the old days, in a NATO tank gunnery competition, the Germans rolled out in their Leopards with Steppenwolf's "Born to Be Wild" playing over the PA system.

The crowd was wowed till the M1s rolled out to "Hell's Bells". The American tankers cleaned the course and carried the day.

Zepp? "Stairway to Heaven", "Black Dog", "Rock and Roll", or "Kashmir" would work for me.

TR

Wow, very cool! Just remember that all us true Rockers support Our Soldiers, and would All probably play it live for You Guys, if We could!

Holly

Sigi
03-22-2004, 19:23
Here it is: The Music-man EVH:

Echoes do you hace a CD out?

I saw VH live a with DLR and SH. DLR was a better lead man, but SH was a better show. They were so freaking loud with Sammy. Although they were loud with DLR as well, Sammy's show rocked.

Personally I like Sammy better. A good CD to put in is the Van Halen Live: Right here, right now. There is an excellent version of "Poundcake" on disc one.

echoes
03-22-2004, 20:13
Originally posted by Sigi
Echoes do you hace a CD out?

I have made many-a-CD. I have only palyed on TV with Keith Richards, and The Beastie Boys...all of whom tolerated a nice little ballad, which dedicated to Our Soldiers, would be appropriate.

I am a typical mucican, but I would give anything to perform a set or two of Classic Rock for Our Soldiers. :)

Holly

ktek01
03-22-2004, 21:35

TR

LOL, they had the loudspeaker trailer set up for us when we ran the bayonet course during OSUT. They were filming it for something, IIRC they were playing classical though. Ride of the Valkries or something like that.

brownapple
03-23-2004, 06:38

While firing? Never did. On the aircraft during insertion? Oh, yes.
Lawyers, Guns and Money by Warren Zevon. :D

Roguish Lawyer
03-25-2004, 18:15
Originally posted by Greenhat

Well, I went home with the waitress
The way I always do
How was I to know
She was with the Russians, too

I was gambling in Havana
I took a little risk
Send lawyers, guns and money
Dad, get me out of this

I'm the innocent bystander
Somehow I got stuck
Between the rock and the hard place
And I'm down on my luck
And I'm down on my luck
And I'm down on my luck

Now I'm hiding in Honduras
I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns and money
The shit has hit the fan

Send lawyers, guns and money...

echoes
03-25-2004, 18:48
Lawyers, Guns and Money by Warren Zevon.

Sir, I think that ROCKS so hardcore. I can just see ya'll comin down outta the sky, gettin ready to kick some serious ass, and listening to Rock!
Personally, I can think of no better reason to play it! :)

Holly

Air.177
03-26-2004, 12:03
I Believa that AM has an original vinyl version of the Zevon album. There are some interesting song on there; Lawyers, guns and money, Werewolves of London, and Roland the Headless Thompson gunner

Roguish Lawyer
03-26-2004, 17:26

I wonder if you might appreciate this. May have seen it before. Cracks me up.

http://www.stickdeath.com/martyr.html

Roguish Lawyer
03-26-2004, 19:17
BREAKING NEWS: VAN HALEN IS BACK!!!

http://www.van-halen.com/newsite/road.html

DunbarFC
03-26-2004, 19:20
EDDIE, ALEX, MIKE & SAMMY HIT THE ROAD!

I'm there !