PDA

View Full Version : Kidney Pads

Fonzy
04-11-2006, 14:24
Sirs,

First off, apolagies if I posted this in the wrong forum, this seemed the most apprpriate place.

I was lucky enough to get an Air Assault slot from my unit and successfully completed the prequal (nothing special, just the obsticle course and the two-mile run). I've been meaning to start doing some road marching for a few days now, since the 12 miler in 3 hours makes me kind of nervous (I havent done any road marching since I graduated basic, and that was in November). So today I was sitting around playing a little xbox and it finally hit me - what the hell am I doing? I stoped right then, packed a ruck and started out.

Only did a few miles to start off with, but I noticed that it seemed like something seemed to be rubbing me the wrong way where my kidney pad was. I've heard of all kinds of ways others have gone out of their way to "strengthen" their kidney pads - from taping some towels around it to going out and buying full blown "kits" and I was wondering how some you QPs have strengthed your kidney pads (or I guess in this case, made them softer/thicker).

Thanks in advance,
PFC Fonz

Warrior-Mentor
04-11-2006, 14:40
Sirs,
Only did a few miles to start off with, but I noticed that it seemed like something seemed to be rubbing me the wrong way where my kidney pad was. I've heard of all kinds of ways others have gone out of their way to "strengthen" their kidney pads - from taping some towels around it to going out and buying full blown "kits" and I was wondering how some you QPs have strengthed your kidney pads (or I guess in this case, made them softer/thicker).

Thanks in advance,
PFC Fonz

Fonzy,
You don't need to "strengthen or soften the kidney pads." From what you're describing, you've got two specific points where the ALICE frame is digging in to your back. Correct? If this is the case, you simply need to TIGHTEN THE KIDNEY PAD AS TIGHT AS YOU CAN GET IT. Tightening the kidney pad strap will disburse the pressure away from the two attaching points where the pad connects to the ALICE Frame. Taping towels or using other snivel gear to pad the kidney pad just isn't as good as knowing how to use your equipment properly.

Best of luck,
JM

P.S. A quick Military Customs & Courtesy note, to address multiple officers or a mix of officers and NCOs, the corect address is "Gentlemen", not "Sirs."

The Reaper
04-11-2006, 15:08
That, and the fact that you need to accustom your body to the rubbing that the ruck will do on you in multiple points.

There is no substitute for performing the actual task before you are tested.

TR

Warrior-Mentor
04-11-2006, 15:25
Even with your equipment properly adjusted, the kidney pad can rub.

I don't recommend this for short events (12 miles or less), but for trek ( 72 land nav ex in the mountains), I knew the kidney pad would eat my back. To prevent it from becoming a problem, I used a LARGE oval shaped hunk of mole skin that covered roughly the area where my kidney pad would be rubbing. I did this BEFORE it became a problem on dry skin, before I started sweating. It worked in preventing my back from getting rubbed raw, but was a son of hoot to get off after being glued and pressed into my back for three days straight.
JM

Fonzy
04-11-2006, 19:24
Gentlemen (Thanks warrior-mentor, fitting handle by the way, I've made that mistake on other posts)

I just checked my pack and noticed the kidney pad had a little extra slack in it, that should do it. Thanks for the advice, I never would of noticed on my own.

Also, I think Reaper hit the nail on the head - I just need to remember to get off my lazy butt!

Once again, thanks for the help. I'll go back to lurking now!

PFC Fonz

Slantwire
04-11-2006, 20:28
First off, I have no intention whatsoever of countering TR or WM.

That said, a QP gave me this tidbit: Armaflex can make a nice pad on shoulder straps and kidney pads / lower back strap. It's essentially a neoprene tube used for insulating pipe, about a dollar per foot. You can get it with up to a 1/2" wall, possibly more. It does wonders to cushion the nylon straps. And it's not like it reduces the weight you're carrying, just distributes it over more body surface.

If, however, a QP says it's unacceptable, then naturally don't get it. And I'll go cut it off my ruck as well. :D

NousDefionsDoc
04-11-2006, 21:25
The first thing ya gotta do is make sure you got yer kit put together right. Then adjust it and work it like WM and Reaper said.

A lot of times when people have problems it's because they didn't follow the instructions and put it together right in the first place. If you have any doubts, find somebody that knows and get them to help you. Yes, they will screw with you a little, small price to pay.

12B4S
04-12-2006, 01:26
Damn! I never knew there was a kidney pad on my ruck. It was a ruck. Just dealt with it. Along the lines of what TR and NDD said. I suppose, I redistributed weight and all, but what was most important is how I packed it depending on the mission, climate and conditions. BTW...... my kidneys still function. :D

BamBam
04-12-2006, 10:39
Kidney PADS.............WTF? A ruck is a ruck, carrying the SOB will make you sore and stiff, pack it correctly adjust it to fit, then move out and draw fire. Kidney Pads.................WTF?

SRT31B
04-12-2006, 18:21
If you're attending AAS at Campbell, they don't allow you to have anything "extra" on your pack. If you have the newer MOLLE then just take the main pack and leave the rest at home. Train like you fight... use what you were issued and what will be required of the school. As far as the rucks go, they were changing it up a bit before we left, but the last couple guys that went through said they were doing 4, 6, 8, then 12 miles. The ruck really isn't the big thing. PAY ATTENTION IN PHASE 2. That was the biggest killer for a lot of the guys. If you have any other questions, I'll do the best that I can to answer them.

Bull,
class 28-05

Airborne
04-15-2006, 15:53
That's correct, minus the 4 miler, we did a 6, 8, then 12. AASLT wasn't hard, just pay attention, don't be late to a formation, and pass your tests.