PDA

View Full Version : Luke AFB just lost a fighter jet.

Team Sergeant
04-11-2006, 12:56
Luke AFB just lost a fighter jet. Minutes ago......

From reports the pilot ejected, no word on his injuries.

Professional Soldiers just scooped Fox and Drudge!

Team Sergeant

Seth
04-11-2006, 13:19
AP wire alert:

F-16 crashes near Arizona military base; pilot ejects safely
AP-WS-04-11-06 1504EDT

Nice Scoop, TS.

The Reaper
04-11-2006, 13:21
Luke AFB just lost a fighter jet. Minutes ago......

From reports the pilot ejected, no word on his injuries.

Professional Soldiers just scooped Fox and Drudge!

Team Sergeant

Saw it on Fox earlier.

You are the man on the scene though.

Maybe you could do an interview?

TR

Kyobanim
04-11-2006, 13:25
azcentral.com reports the pilot walking around the scene before anyone showed up.

Warrior-Mentor
04-11-2006, 13:27
fast reporting...perhaps a second career in your future?

Team Sergeant
04-11-2006, 13:27
Saw it on Fox earlier.

You are the man on the scene though.

Maybe you could do an interview?

TR

I've lived here a few years and have never seen this many LEO's....... They have closed every intersection with in a mile radius of the crash site. I was told they are picking up live ammo. These are training F-16's. My guess would be some live "smoke" bombs and maybe live 30mm rounds.

The Reaper
04-11-2006, 13:31
I've lived here a few years and have never seen this many LEO's....... They have closed every intersection with in a mile radius of the crash site. I was told they are picking up live ammo. These are training F-16's. My guess would be some live "smoke" bombs and maybe live 30mm rounds.

Well, there is a 20mm Vulcan out there if you have a truck and a cloak of invisibility.

TR

Team Sergeant
04-11-2006, 13:36
Well, there is a 20mm Vulcan out there if you have a truck and a cloak of invisibility.

TR

20mm? I stand corrected.

Trust me when I say it will be all cleaned up today. Anything left will be "gone" by morning and will be for sale on the side of the road by some enterprising "immigrants".:rolleyes:

Roguish Lawyer
04-11-2006, 13:37

TR

I believe that AM has both, and probably could come up with ammo too . . . :D

The Dave
04-11-2006, 14:57

That news channel 3 just claimed there was "no live ordnance" onboard. Who knows. Maybe to keep all the "g thugs" from trying to pick up a few things they don't need.

Sten
04-11-2006, 15:07
Can we start a UFO conspiracy about this?

Martin
04-11-2006, 15:10
No, the government has already covered it up so we cannot risk it!!! :eek:

M

The Reaper
04-11-2006, 15:12
That news channel 3 just claimed there was "no live ordnance" onboard. Who knows. Maybe to keep all the "g thugs" from trying to pick up a few things they don't need.

If someone had a live M61A1 Vulcan cannon, which is built into the F-16, I am certain that any enterprising individual with some spare time and cash could make the ammo to shoot it.

Just not for very long without deep pockets.

TR

Warrior-Mentor
04-11-2006, 15:28

That's what caused the crash.

Team Sergeant
04-11-2006, 15:38
I just drove by the crash site. That jet went in about 1000 meters from my house.

LEO's and AFB personnel have reduced the danger zone to a few hundred yards from the crash site. I'd say 500-700 meter zone.
Can't see much but some charred dirt and pieces of metal.

Not many people around, news people already on site. The area it went down in is all farm land. The crash site is contained in a field, just missed a road by a few meters. From the looks of it the only person that was in any danger was the pilot himself.

Warrior-Mentor
04-11-2006, 15:43
I just drove by the crash site. That jet went in about 1000 meters from my house.

That's still pretty close..too close for my comfort.

Perhaps AL or RL can sue the government for invasion of your privacy, spilling your coffee or some other reason...:munchin

Team Sergeant
04-11-2006, 15:59
That's still pretty close..too close for my comfort.

Before we purchased this property I had a look at the runways on a sat photo. I made sure we were to one side of the runways......doesn't really help as they take off and turn every which way. (Actually, you don't see them turn east, just north, west and south.....) I'm south west of the runways....

MAB32
04-11-2006, 16:15
TS,

How far from the runway(s) would you say he was when he crashed?
The reason why I ask is that it will be very instrumental in finding the cause.

Team Sergeant
04-11-2006, 17:16
TS,

How far from the runway(s) would you say he was when he crashed?
The reason why I ask is that it will be very instrumental in finding the cause.

He could have been landing or taking off, turning etc.... I did not see what happened. He was not far from the base or the runway. Maybe a mile from the runway. Lately they have been coming off the runway to the south and making hard G turns to the north.

Two people that witnessed the crash said they saw a long orange plume of flame coming out of the back of the AC before the crash. I'm not an expert but I'd guess something was wrong with the engine.... Might have sucked a farm hand into the intake.:D Its also spring, lots of birds here......

MAB32
04-11-2006, 18:06
I'd say that the orange streak coming from behind the 16 was either afterburner or catostrophic engine failure due bird ingestion or turbine failure. If he was "yanking and banking" at low altitude he may have had a bird go in thru the air intake. All jet engines will fail if it ingest a bird anywhere from a robin to a duck (duck being the worst). What they do when they enter the engine is destroy the first turbine which forces air faster into the compression turbines. Once that first turbine goes it just gets worse as pieces fly thru the engine. On a side note I knew of pilot back when I was flying small planes that was killed in his Cessna 182 RG by a duck that came right through his windshield after being shredded up a little by the propeller. Took his head off and the plane went down in a nose dive from 1,000 AGL.

If I were a betting man (i'm not) I would think engine ingestion of a bird or just catastrophic engine failure due to a blown turbine.:)

Pete
04-11-2006, 18:07
.....Can't see much but some charred dirt and pieces of metal.....

On one trip we got to help the Navy pick up an F4 that crashed in the bay off Rosey Roads. It burned straight down they said at about 400/450 (?) knots into 40 feet of water. The crew got out OK. There was one big crater where the engines dug into the bottom and the rest of the plane was scattered all over.

We were picking up the plane and putting it into canvas mail bags. The pieces were hand to finger nail size. The biggest pieces I saw were the three landing gear. We would drag our full bags over to a lift line and the Yard Tender would haul it up and return an empty bag. At the end of a long day we had a pile of scrap sitting on the deck about the size of a large storage shed. And it went on for a few more days.

Oh, the fun things you can find to do on a Requal.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
04-11-2006, 19:31

Actually I think it was caused by all that turbulance from those flag waving illegals that flooded the streets:D

Smokin Joe
04-11-2006, 19:41
TS,

Glad to hear you and yours are alright and uneffected by this event...

Team Sergeant
04-11-2006, 19:51
TS,

Glad to hear you and yours are alright and uneffected by this event...

Training accidents happen. The cost of Freedom is worth the tax dollars. I'm glad no one was hurt,and we're still waiting on word of the pilots condition, he was taken to a local hospital.
Had it landed on my house I would have smiled...... and marched on. I actually enjoy the sound of fighter jets....... and also enjoy watching them fly.

vsvo
04-11-2006, 21:37
One of my profs is retired AF JAG, and he told us about one of his assignments handling civilian damage claims. Usually it was windows or siding blown out by sonic booms, but occasionally it was a crash.

I hope the pilot is OK, and am glad to hear you and your family are OK TS.

CoLawman
04-11-2006, 21:41
Glad to hear it missed you TS.
PM with good news inbound!

APLP
04-12-2006, 00:55
Training accidents happen. The cost of Freedom is worth the tax dollars. I'm glad no one was hurt,and we're still waiting on word of the pilots condition, he was taken to a local hospital.
Had it landed on my house I would have smiled...... and marched on. I actually enjoy the sound of fighter jets....... and also enjoy watching them fly.

New member to the capapillar club, with a sore back and fresh rectal exam after punching. A case of something very special to drink every year for someone in the seat shop and hopefully a new piece of metal furniture sitting in the garage next week.

MAB32
04-12-2006, 17:38
Ts,

I too am glad your OK. One thousand meters is still very close. The pilot will be almost one (1) inch shorter than normal and will possibly have back problems for the rest of his life. Ejection is constantly evolving for safer ejections. But no matter how you look at it, Pilot and aviators will continue to suffer some injury when ejection. There is just no way around as the purpose of the seat is to get the pilot/aviator out of the plane the quickest way possible. Hence zero ejection seats. They will work at zero altitude and punch the guy 200+ feet high in a split second. That is hard on your back but you will survive albeit with long lasting injury.

Here is a pretty good site on ejection ejection seats:

http://showcase.netins.net/web/herker/ejection/eject.html

lrd
04-12-2006, 21:06
I actually enjoy the sound of fighter jets....... and also enjoy watching them fly.
It gets in your blood. :)

Team Sergeant
08-21-2006, 13:47
Not bad considering they were using tweezers to pick up what was left of the bird........:rolleyes:

Engine explosion blamed for April F-16 crash

Associated Press
Aug. 21, 2006 12:15 PM

An engine explosion was behind last spring's crash of an Air Force F-16C fighter jet in a Glendale cornfield, the military said Monday.

An investigation board determined that a malfunction in the engine just as the fighter jet left Luke Air Force Base led to the April 11 explosion, according to an Air Force statement.

The Air Force says the pilot, Capt. Jason E. Attaway, tried to return to Luke but ejected safely when he realized he wouldn't make it back.

The plane crashed into a field about two miles southwest of the base.

Luke is the world's largest F-16 training base.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0821F16crash21-ON.html

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-21-2006, 14:10
[QUOTE=Team Sergeant]Luke AFB just lost a fighter jet. Minutes ago....../QUOTE]

Did you have RL out on the range again today:D

Bill Harsey
08-21-2006, 19:24
[QUOTE=Team Sergeant]Luke AFB just lost a fighter jet. Minutes ago....../QUOTE]

Did you have RL out on the range again today:D
I was wondering when someone would start doing the math.

Monsoon65
08-23-2006, 20:46
Ts,

I too am glad your OK. One thousand meters is still very close. The pilot will be almost one (1) inch shorter than normal and will possibly have back problems for the rest of his life. Ejection is constantly evolving for safer ejections. But no matter how you look at it, Pilot and aviators will continue to suffer some injury when ejection. There is just no way around as the purpose of the seat is to get the pilot/aviator out of the plane the quickest way possible. Hence zero ejection seats. They will work at zero altitude and punch the guy 200+ feet high in a split second. That is hard on your back but you will survive albeit with long lasting injury.

Here is a pretty good site on ejection ejection seats:

http://showcase.netins.net/web/herker/ejection/eject.html

Bang seats will always mess your back up, but it sure beats being dead. The guys I've spoken to that have ejected said that they always had some back pain afterwards. Lots of guys in Vietnam were unable to E&E due to ejection injuries. (Lance Sijan was all messed up from his, but still evade for six weeks!)

Planes are cheap compared to the life of the pilot. Glad he was OK.

Loadsmasher
08-24-2006, 20:29
Looking at the sat photos of the area around Luke, it seems like the pilot had lots of improvised short runways.
Even in congested areas pilots usually can find an empty spot i.e. the Airshow crash from a few years ago.
Around Lackland though our biggest problem was inadequately secured pieces of airplane. Over the years we lost a few pieces of sheet metal, more than one tire and once an entire landing gear. Luckily we've never had any injuries but the lady who came home to a C-5 landing gear in the middle of her bedroom got quite a shock to say the least.

The Reaper
03-14-2008, 16:05
Looks like you got another yard dart.

How close this time?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,338048,00.html

TR

Team Sergeant
03-14-2008, 19:47
Not close to me and as I write this, jets are taking off.

Arizona time is now, 1845

Team Sergeant
03-15-2008, 08:31
The area the jet went down near Alamo Lake, is rugged desert terrain with no access except by 4X4's, ATV's and helo's.

I don't think they've found anything yet.

TS