PDA

View Full Version : Rotator Cuff Surgery recovery

MtnGoat
04-11-2006, 08:08
A week ago I had Rotator Cuff Surgery on my left Shoulder, I also had my biceps "fixed". The Bicep had some "stressed" tendons and the Doc "scraped" the damaged area. My rotator cuff had a "major" (Doc Said after the surgery) tear along the supraspinatus muscle of the cuff. The Docs did Arthroscopic repair on both sites. I had one Doc on the supraspinatus muscle and another on my Biscep.

What I'm looking for is input on revocery. Like what to expect during PT and what you did to "speed up" your personal recovery time. What worked for you during your first 2-4 weeks of "self" PT at home, or didn't. What sucks during PT, ETC.

Like I told the Doc, I want the surgery ASAP. So I can be ready to deploy by within 6 months or so. I know that I can't lift anything for 3 Months or so, and nothing over 50 lb. for at least 5-6 Months from now.

Thanks for any of your commits.

VG

Team Sergeant
04-11-2006, 09:16
What I'm looking for is input on revocery. Like what to expect during PT and what you did to "speed up" your personal recovery time.

Thanks for any of your commits.

VG
Something I'm very familiar with……

There is no “Speedy” recovery. You can do damage recovering too quickly or trying to do too much. Go very slow and do not lift anything over 16oz using the left arm. Do exactly what the doctor says and no more!

(I got hit from behind coming out the back of a 141 from 15,000 feet. The strike dislocated my left shoulder. I could not re-locate the shoulder in free fall. I opened the PC-3 and the opening shock did considerable damage. I was operated at Womack. The doc’s placed a 2 ˝ inch screw in my shoulder with a lot of other cutting and sewing. It took a year to recover, I stayed on the Team, but I was lucky, I healed very well, hell I was only 26 I think.)

Go slow and enjoy the time off……. Read a lot.;)

TS
BTW, I've been operated on the same shoulder three times now.... once at 16, second at 26 third time in my 40's.
I've yet to understand what my limits are.............:rolleyes:

MtnGoat
04-11-2006, 09:26
TS
Thanks for the input.

I know its slow and there no "Speedy" recovery. Just wishful thinking I guess. I know this week that the PT DOC has me doing "movement "kill" me at times. Sleeping at night is like being on Patrol... 3hrs at most. Cat naps though out the day. :eek:

Don't lift anything over 16oz using the left arm. Hell I can Barely pick up my laptop with two hands. :boohoo

Long road and a short time to get there.

Thanks - VG

Warrior-Mentor
04-11-2006, 10:11
Something I'm very familiar with……
I got hit from behind coming out the back of a 141 from 15,000 feet. The strike dislocated my left shoulder. I could not re-locate the shoulder in free fall. I opened the PC-3 and the opening shock did considerable damage.

Sounds familiar...

Was rolling a "student" over in free fall last week and heard a loud pop in my left shoulder. Saw stars and instinctively let go and pulled the arm in to protected it. Wasn't sure if it was in or out. Opened up and checked it out under canopy and it was back in socket. Sounds like mine was no where near as bad as your TS. Have had it do a couple "pop-out, pop-right-back-in's" over the weekend...enough to get my attention. Being hard headed..my inclination is to give it a couple weeks to heal on its own.

The Reaper
04-11-2006, 10:34
Sounds familiar...

Was rolling a "student" over in free fall last week and heard a loud pop in my left shoulder. Saw stars and instinctively let go and pulled the arm in to protected it. Wasn't sure if it was in or out. Opened up and checked it out under canopy and it was back in socket. Sounds like mine was no where near as bad as your TS. Have had it do a couple "pop-out, pop-right-back-in's" over the weekend...enough to get my attention. Being hard headed..my inclination is to give it a couple weeks to heal on its own.

See the Doc.

This stuff you ignored or gutted-out adds up as you age and will eventually make you wish you had taken care of it.

Not to mention, it documents the injury for your eventual service connected retirement claims.

I ignored mine. I wish I had not.

TR

Warrior-Mentor
04-11-2006, 11:02
Thanks TR.

Roguish Lawyer
04-11-2006, 11:28
Timely thread. I'm having an MRI on my right shoulder (and also right knee) this afternoon . . .

Jack Moroney (RIP)
04-11-2006, 11:37
WM what TR said. I am now paying the price for errors of judgement when it came time to allow myself to heal. Not to mention you will never know when that next big chance will come to do something other than what you are doing now and you want to be ready, not only for yourself, but for those who are going to depend on you. I know all you young studs think you are like a BAR with only three rates of fire: fast, faster, and frigging fast. Believe me, even firing at high speed you have to take time to clean out that gas port or you are going to start misfiring.:D

MtnGoat
04-11-2006, 14:07
See the Doc.
Not to mention, it documents the injury for your eventual service connected retirement claims.

I ignored mine. I wish I had not.

TR

This will be a Quote for the Tread! Ditto! :D

I injured mine climbing rope last January. Rope was a bit wet, lost my footing. Caught myself with my arms. Continued PT that day and week I think.

I didn't go to the TMC right off, I did the Medic thing. Three month no PT. Finial in June I did the TMC trip, first PT just gave me 2-3 month no PT profile. I finial in Oct/Nov I got a PA (18D) in Nov that sent me to PT EVAL. He told me you'll go through the motions for about 6-weeks, Then you'll get a MRI after that.

Which did happen, but I had Christmas Break. Then in February I got me MRI, and then finial sat down with an Orth Doc in Mar. I told him I want Surgery ASAP.

Look for any SF guy out there that my have injured any joint, leg, shoulder. Go to the TMC get checked and get into your records. Get checked!!

Its not that bad, well mine isn't/wasn't. No sleep is the biggest thing for the first week so far. Some good drugs. :D

I'm learning Arabic while I'm at home. So that's a plus, just hate the AKO Rosette Stone. You need the books, I feel. Bought me Tell Me More program this weekend, so I'll see how that works out.

Warrior-Mentor get it checked out, go to the TMC at YPG and get it recorded.

SF18C
04-14-2006, 11:35
D...no advice other than hang in there and take it slow.

This summer I'll open your beer bottles for ya'. I wouldn't want you to set back that recovery time straining to open a Corona! :lifter

MtnGoat
04-14-2006, 12:02
Just like training the kids with the things to know - guns, wine (beer) and women. I got them opening them up before this surgery. They can be my dog for my paper. The beer is in the Frig, just can't get it for 4-6 more weeks - Drug mine on. :(

But thanks for the help. Glad you found the site and your future. :D

Firebeef
04-14-2006, 19:25
Berg Heil!

I had similar surgery to your's bro.
Thanksgiving day '96, Anavarza, Turkey. We were climbing, really a pretty simple pitch, top roped, and about 2/3 of the way up felt like someone stabbed my r bicep and shoulder with a cigar as I reached for my next handhold.

Luckily, the orotho surgeon at Incirlik was top notch, and was able to fit me in for surgery 48 hours before our bird was outbound. Turned out to be a training op for my team medic, he intubated me and got to make the first incision, and Lord only knows what else while they were inside.

I don't remember much of the flight(s) home, except I supposedly had a great time at RAF Mildenhall, ....something about Tyloxx and english ale...

anyways...back at Carson the rehab began. I followed the PT's every word, and I admit, it took a lot of self control to NOT go too fast or too far. There were good days and bad ones, but slowly over time it improved. They started me with just the weight of my hands, and after a couple weeks went to surgical tubing. What sucked most was sitting out WET, and as a bonus I got to attend the EO/HR NCO course. By late winter I was able to run again, and slowly worked to small hand weights. It's quite humbling to be curling a lime green hand weight, that didn't weigh as much as the collars on the weights I used to throw around. But don't get discouraged, keep goin....and DON'T overdo it, don't get crazy before you're ready. I was fit to deploy by April, and slowly, it all started coming back. I lifted regularly with my team and they all were really supportive of me (along with the usual crip jokes and what not) I remember the day sometime in July I did 6 pull-ups in a gym in Livno, BiH and it felt like I had conquered Denali!!

Nearly 10 years later I'm retired and a Fireman. I might not be able to bench or military press what I usetacould, but I do alright for a guy pushin 50, and the young-uns still are tryin to catch me. I still get some pain in the shoulder occasionally, although my left one had been acting up lately.... ugh!! If you follow your PT's advice and take your time, I don't see any reason you can't be 99.9999% of what your strength, flexibilities and capabilities to be on a mountain or any other team once was. You're young, go slow... work hard and work smart.... NEVER QUIT!!

MtnGoat
04-15-2006, 05:15
I followed the PT's every word, and I admit, it took a lot of self control to NOT go too fast or too far. There were good days and bad ones, but slowly over time it improved. They started me with just the weight of my hands, and after a couple weeks went to surgical tubing. What sucked most was sitting out WET, and as a bonus I got to attend the EO/HR NCO course. By late winter I was able to run again, and slowly worked to small hand weights. It's quite humbling to be curling a lime green hand weight, that didn't weigh as much as the collars on the weights I used to throw around. But don't get discouraged, keep goin....and DON'T overdo it, don't get crazy before you're ready. I was fit to deploy by April, and slowly, it all started coming back. I lifted regularly with my team and they all were really supportive of me (along with the usual crip jokes and what not) I remember the day sometime in July I did 6 pull-ups in a gym in Livno, BiH and it felt like I had conquered Denali!!

Nearly 10 years later I'm retired and a Fireman. I might not be able to bench or military press what I usetacould, but I do alright for a guy pushin 50, and the young-uns still are tryin to catch me. I still get some pain in the shoulder occasionally, although my left one had been acting up lately.... ugh!! If you follow your PT's advice and take your time, I don't see any reason you can't be 99.9999% of what your strength, flexibilities and capabilities to be on a mountain or any other team once was. You're young, go slow... work hard and work smart.... NEVER QUIT!!

Brother I've had some PMs over this & I have be a bit discouraged over the time frame. The whole thing about you may have to stand one out trip thing. :( But After hearing QPs here and my Two DOCs tell me to stop picking something (to me) as small as a laptop with two hands. Floored me! Like man, I got on hand - (DOC TALKIN NOW) well then use the good one to pick up the "heavy" part.

I have and will take it VERY Slow, like a bub (Former Mil) said. "You got to take care yourself. Don't listen to the BS commits from Co workers over your "not putting out". Better to get it done than to have Ur arm feel like it falls off down range. So I'm VERY HAPPY with my current out come.

Thank for that advice, and I would like to have the feeling of conquered Denali, I did the West Buttress Route in 90 - after camp Four/Five (18,000 -/+) we got WX - snowed in for four days in a snowcave. Had to abandoned the climb due to NO food and fuel. So I'll love that feeling again.

Thanks Taking it easy so the song goes

Firebeef
04-18-2006, 20:21
patience will take you far! It sux. I can't tell ya how to make it any better, but I can tell ya, if you come back too quick n too early you'll be havin deja vu all over again with your shoulder surgery!

O, n btw, I was using conquerin Denali as a metaphor, never actually have, but thats what I thought it must feel like.... does Longs Peak count???

MtnGoat
04-19-2006, 08:09
O, n btw, I was using conquerin Denali as a metaphor, never actually have, but thats what I thought it must feel like.... does Longs Peak count???

Beef, I know what your meaning was behind that. I just thought it was good metaphor since I had been there but never got to Summit it. Now that's SUX!! But thanks, I know the "workouts" ahead will be hard.

MtnGoat
04-19-2006, 09:11
Okay just putting this out here so if anyone is looking into surgery.

First off - Don't wait when you get injured, get it looked at. If your Team 18D tells you not to PT for XX Days or Months. Then during that time you need to go to the TMC and get into your Records. It will help you out when you get out. I lost over 4-5 months of info in medical records.

Second - I personally I wouldn't take the Steroid shots. 3 out of 5 guys that I know have had bad to horrible results to their shoulders after the fact (shots). Even after Surgery, so if its so bad that you need the cut, go for the Knife not the needle.

Third - Surgery was a breeze. The hard part was the 7-9 months of the military system of getting checked out to consulates for PT and surgery. Surgery was easy, I talked to the Surg Tech about getting a workout with my arm, then had to count to 5. I don't remember anything after counting 2.

Okay now for recovery-30 day convalescent leave. :munchin

Weeks one and two are ruff. Drugs are a great thing. I ate Percocet as they say; like Candy. I had two every 5-6 hours for about 9-10 days or so. Which my Doc said is the normal. No worries, yeah tell that to my liver. I would at least get a recliner chair, this is a must!! You just can't lay down in a bed after the surgery. Your arm is in a sling next to your side and any movement just kills you for about 4-6 days. I sleep in one to this day. I just, 2 days ago started to sleep in the bed, but I can't make it all night yet. I would also ask for a sleep aid for at least ten days, it up to you and your DOC. But they help.

Now everyone takes pain different, so this is just me.

One week I was in pain, Week two was better. PT for week one was basic movement of the shoulder area. They hurt the first couple of days but after 3-4 days your good and the pain is almost gone. Week two I started with overhead movements. All movements are aided and passive. Like its been said, you just can't lift anything more than 16 oz.

Weeks two and three your ten times better, your pretty much off the drugs. So your feeling a ton better, almost just like when you first got hurt.

Your going to be doing PT while your at home. So hopefully you have someone to help you out.

Take care hopefully this helps others.

Firebeef
04-27-2006, 12:16
if you have injured your shoulder/rotator cuff/bicep:

Like Goat said... if you can determine within a short amount of time that it will require surgery....don't put it off. Holistic healing, cherry bark tea and skunk grease may be nice for the gentry, but if you're a soldier or a person with an active lifestyle....AND... it's gonna boil down to surgery anyways...DON'T WAIT! You may have to fight with your command and the docs on this, but if they are tellin you its gonna come to surgery... let's get it on!

DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT. when it comes to disability claims, if it ain't written down in your med packet: it never happened. Period. End of conversation.

Follow all physical therapy advice TO THE T... that means for us guys: DON'T EMBELLISH (overdo) WHAT THE PT TELLS YA TO DO ! When it starts feelin better... don't go out and try to bench 225 just coz you used to bench 315. Realize that it's gonna take time, and in most likelyhood, you will be near 100% of your prior performance....but you WILL have deficits and minor reminders that near 100% is NOT 100%. Work hard, work smart, never quit.

Martin
04-27-2006, 13:39
Thanks, I'll call the doc tomorrow.

Good luck and heal up quickly!

Martin

Martin
05-05-2006, 14:21
Just thought I'd let you know that I went to the doc after the seminar this morning. The muscles and ligaments of the shoulder were hurt in an ackward motion (akin to arm pulled up high behind back, except by sticking it to the ground and rolling backwards). Fortunately, it is nothing serious nor permanent. The continued weakness and strange feeling was due to the body's response to this. Doc said that I can and should start working out immediately, which I have, and that I should start at about 30% of where I was before and steadily increase. In three weeks I can begin working to muscle failure and in around two months it should be all back to normal. In about a month the shoulders should be close to equal in strength.

I have stupidly waited for too long. A series of exercises that the Doc suggested were ones I had stopped doing because I thought it put too much strain on the shoulder.

Thanks again, well worth the visit. I defer to the expertise of smarter men than myself.

Martin

MtnGoat
05-06-2006, 09:56
Just thought I'd let you know that I went to the doc after the seminar this morning. The muscles and ligaments of the shoulder were hurt in an ackward motion (akin to arm pulled up high behind back, except by sticking it to the ground and rolling backwards). Fortunately, it is nothing serious nor permanent. The continued weakness and strange feeling was due to the body's response to this. Doc said that I can and should start working out immediately, which I have, and that I should start at about 30% of where I was before and steadily increase. In three weeks I can begin working to muscle failure and in around two months it should be all back to normal. In about a month the shoulders should be close to equal in strength.

I have stupidly waited for too long. A series of exercises that the Doc suggested were ones I had stopped doing because I thought it put too much strain on the shoulder.
Well that's good, at least you went to get it checked out by a DOC. Your Doctor didn't send you to Physical Therapist (PT)? I know for mine the Doc had tried to work my "pain" away through PT workouts. I couldn't do most of them so thats when we did the surgery option. Its good to know that your shoulder is okay.

I go for my ORTHO DOC check up next week and my six week check up is coming up too. I'll post on what they say, so far I'm tracking great by all reports. All movements are fine and my PT DOC likes what she see's. I start more PT ROM next week, something called active agressive movements. My PT Asst did one minute of the "workout" Holy Sheets!! That stuff hurts!! I had to get on little white Prek Pill after that one. :D

Martin
05-06-2006, 11:17
Well that's good, at least you went to get it checked out by a DOC. Your Doctor didn't send you to Physical Therapist (PT)? I know for mine the Doc had tried to work my "pain" away through PT workouts. I couldn't do most of them so thats when we did the surgery option. Its good to know that your shoulder is okay.

I go for my ORTHO DOC check up next week and my six week check up is coming up too. I'll post on what they say, so far I'm tracking great by all reports. All movements are fine and my PT DOC likes what she see's. I start more PT ROM next week, something called active agressive movements. My PT Asst did one minute of the "workout" Holy Sheets!! That stuff hurts!! I had to get on little white Prek Pill after that one. :D
That's good to hear! Keep at it!

This was an orthopaedic that I saw. If you have any tips for exercises, I'm all ears! I did legs, lower back, abs, four exercises for shoulder ROM, and a short running stint today. Heading back to gym tomorrow. If you have a schedule that works, I would gladly take it (PM if you'd like, or here is ok). I am a little afraid of straining the muscle while running, though the short run today felt okay at all tempos, but it was the last thing of the pass. (pulled a muscle three weeks ago when doing a simple warmup jog, two weeks after injury)

Martin

MtnGoat
05-15-2006, 19:52
Okay I had a Supraspinatus full thickness tear and bicep tears repairs. I've been working extensive passive ROM and stretching for the past month plus. Instituting in-clinic ranging 2 wk for the last 2 wks. I have had some difficult to move my elbow (ER) outwards. I still have limited range on my movement. I have started on wk 5 to progress to a more aggressive ROM and started low-level strenghtening.

My last test for ROM is 160 degree on Flex with 110 degree Abd, 160 Deg scaption, and 60 Deg ER at 110 Deg Abd, 60 Deg IR at 90 Deg adb. I can lift my arm on its own (weight) to 60 Deg flex. :munchin Waiting out!!

I have moved onto moderately aggressive to assited passive aggressive shoulder ROM/MOBs/Chasing and active ROM in standing position. Home I'm doing passive stretching and active assited ROM. :rolleyes:

I can teel you that I like what has be going on with my recovery. I have next to no pain. I can't lift anything still, well a small book or something.

The biggest thing I'm worried about is having to deploy prior to my "FULL" Recovery (6-8 month window). I would hate to tear or reinjury my shoulder prior to getting healed; or worse trying to lift something (M2/MK 19) and not being able to do it.
Since that is a fact I have started to do more of my PT "workouts" 3x Wk (M/T/TH) to get a better ROM. I've asked my OTHRO DOC and PT DOC if I could start some Cardio workouts too. PT DOC said yes on CARDIO on Stair and Elliptical machines. I'll find out tommorow from my OTHRO DOC what he thinks. So this week I started out a stair machine for 15 Mins and Eliptical for 15 Mins. I'll doing it 3x wk, PT DOC said we'll see on Friday if I can still do CARDIO. :lifter Shot out!!

Next week I'm to start the pullies with and without weights. Let see how that goes. I know my PT Asst - that gurl must be into MS/BS cause that chick brings tears to my eyes everytime I'm doing my aggressive ROM excerises. MAN it hurts!! :mad:

MtnGoat
06-06-2006, 05:17
Had a Check up yesterday.

My ROM is getting better, 175 degree on Flex with 125 degree Abd, 170 Deg scaption (pushing it DOC can get a 180), and 100 Deg ER at 135 Deg Abd, 90-100 (She did some pushing) Deg IR at 115 Deg adb.

Started THERBAND workouts last week, doing good with them. My Scapula is my biggest down fall. During my 8 wk recovery I was lifting my shoulder to make up for the loss is strength from the surgery. This is just a temporary effect, so everytime I lifted my arm for a workout. I would lift my shoulder up, so now I have developed different muscles. I do something like you trying to touch your shoulder to your ear while I lift my arm (hand) up. I have to think about NOT lifting my shoulder (scapula) and pushing the back side downward.

Firebeef - well I'm onto doing the Green and Purple Dumbbells :D Just got to love that. The THERBAND workout would give a "Burn" like I was working out (lifting) like I did a year ago. I woke up so sore the next day after my first time working it out. Now I do some at home and do a workout 2x WK, now I will be doing THERBAND and the weights. I running 1.5 to 2 Miles 3X WK, doing that in a whooping 18-26.5 Minutes. That's a kick in the ball when your use to a 11:30-12:20 2mile and 90/90 for an AFPT.

Next check up is 29 June 06.

ccrn
06-06-2006, 06:49
I wish you guys the best in your recoveries.

Hopefully you have a great therapist and are doing exactly what he or shes tells you-

MtnGoat
06-06-2006, 13:31
I wish you guys the best in your recoveries.

Hopefully you have a great therapist and are doing exactly what he or shes tells you-
Believe me CCRN I do EVERYTHING She tells me to do. On PT that is :D Thanks

Firebeef
06-07-2006, 12:10
well I'm onto doing the Green and Purple Dumbbells

Goat.... hang in there buddy!! Before ya know it, you'll be onto the really heavy 8 and 12 pounders!!! LOL. And someday again soon, you too will be liftin black weights!!! ok, so they'll be 20 and 25 #s and not the 50 and 75s you were hoisting before, but give it time! Glad you're healin up well bro.
be safe, train smart!!

MtnGoat
06-07-2006, 17:40
well I'm onto doing the Green and Purple Dumbbells

Goat.... hang in there buddy!! Before ya know it, you'll be onto the really heavy 8 and 12 pounders!!! LOL.
Today I tried to lift the green (2#) laying on my stomach with my arms in a "T", "I", and "Y". I couldn't do it. So no weights. That sucks - but like a friend told me. "brother your on a road that will try around Two years to get back to lift like you did before"

Yeah Yeah I know. Thanks for the word Firebeef - Ski one last one for me if you can. :D

Firebeef
06-07-2006, 18:08
I think A basin closes this weekend, so the skiing I got is the skiing you get. Hang in there brother. The orange and blue weights are only around the corner!!

D

x SF med
06-07-2006, 18:30
MtnGoat-
Stick with the program the Doc put you on, push yourself, but if it hurts, STOP, I made that mistake while I was getting PT for a knee injury, I set myself back abot 4 weeks by trying to be an ironman - crossed that fine line between hard and stupid - and paid for it. Good luck with the recovery.:lifter

MtnGoat
06-27-2006, 17:58
Stick with the program the Doc put you on, push yourself, but if it hurts, STOP, I made that mistake while I was getting PT for a knee injury, I set myself back abot 4 weeks by trying to be an ironman - crossed that fine line between hard and stupid - and paid for it. Good luck with the recovery.:lifter
Thanks......X_SF_Med I'm doing just that

Update, Had a check up today for the old' Cuff.

Everything is going well, I continue to improve as planned and at time ahead of schedule too. I have pain with ROM, Particularly with transitioning between motion. I.E.: Mvnt from hand downward to my hand over my head. Even unweighted.

My Test & Measures:

ROM: Flex Active is 165 Deg, Passive 180 Deg, Ext Rotation @ 90 Deg @ the Neutral Position (Arm Next to Body) is at 60 DEG. When my arm is moved upward on a table, Flex Active (@ about a 45 Deg Angle of the Biceps) I'm @ a 75 to 80 Deg ROM. Internal ROM @ 90 Deg Abduction 50 Deg, Abduction ROM 140 Deg.

All well exceeded the Goals set from last update report. So that was good news from both of us. DOC like what she is seeing. Within 3 mos I should have a full ROM as normal. Let see.

Started Sports Clinic this week. 2x WK for strengthening and Dynamic stability training. CARDO is Jumping rope and Rowing machine.

I work daily with an @ HEP with dumbbells with Flex Active and Abduction ROM exercises. Basically something like lateral Dumbbell raises.

Started back to full runs 3-5 miles 3x WK, no treadmills that is. I can start back with rucking, 35# starting with 3 miles. Work up as body allows - PAIN level.

Pain is weakness leaving the body, Countered by PERCOCET.

mugwump
06-27-2006, 20:03
I was wondering how you were doing -- good to hear things are going well for you.

mugwump

MtnGoat
10-10-2006, 18:49
Looking for what people have done for their Rotator Cuff recovery - the wifting part. What you did for your workouts.

I had my surgery back the first week of April. I stayed with my PT rehabilitation as best as I could - I deployed. Started to lift weight, yes those nice small light green dumbbell (5#) ones, back around the end of May. :o Started to do "real" lifting back at the end of June, if I remember right. Nothing big, 10# dumbbells for arm raises and chest press.

I started to lift "heavy" back in Aug. Small on the Chest workouts and lite on the shoulder workouts.

FYI - I was working out with 295 on flat press, before I got the injury. Now, I'm at 75 to 85# on the chest. Shoulder, are done in the front are at 95# to 115# on a Smith press.

I'm keeping with "Start out small on lite" work up on your weight, lite on a set weight for XX # of weeks then go up 5-10#on each side when you "feel". I'm looking to see what worked for you.

This is what I have been doing:

My Workouts are 4x a week. Monday and Thurday is Chest and arms.
Tuedayand Friday is Legs and Back. This what I'm lifting as of now.

Chest, flat bench is 55 to 65. This depends on how I feel. I started out
at 45 then worked up to 65# with 10-15 reps. I started out doing about
12-13 push-ups and now I can do 16-18 PU. I work flt bench dumbbells at
40# for 10 reps. I started out with 30#.

Incline I work 55 or 60. started out with 45# to 10-12 reps.

Military press I started with 45# and now I'm up to 55#.

Lap pull downs I working 70#, 35# on each side, I started out at 25# each side at 10 Set. The same with Back rolls on a machine.

Curls - Z-bar I started at 30#, now at 40#. Preacher seat I
started at 25#, now 35# at 10 Reps.

Triceps: Extentions 30#, now 45#. Push downs: 50# now 75#.

I do legs and run around 13-15 miles a week.

I had the first week with soreness in the arm. nothing different from
working out as I did before. I had on day when I was doing lat pull
downs, I had some pain on the top side of the shoulder, a bit to the
rear.

I talk to my PT DOC monthly (EMAIL) and tell her what I'm doing and the workout plan ws emailled to her. She didn't have any issues, just DO NOT GO HEAVY, HEAVY, HEAVY. Was what she said. I'm doing that, I did have some pain, I think from a Friday AB workout. I think from side bends with 45# plate and 55# dumbbells. I don't know why, just pain in the cut area. No pain at any other time for the pass month. I have had some pain in my shoulder were the cuff was injuried this week. I think (hope) its just musule pain.

So if you can help me out on what you did and what didn't work for you. THX all.

x SF med
10-11-2006, 06:42
MG-
the only real advice is - if it hurts, stop. Heat before, Ice after - lots of water, slow, steady stretching (before and after) for full ROM.

Otherwise - your routine looks good - take it slow, reinjury is a bitch, and harder to recover from - trust me, my knee is still AFU after the 3rd injury.

MtnGoat
10-11-2006, 18:32
MG-
the only real advice is - if it hurts, stop. Heat before, Ice after - lots of water, slow, steady stretching (before and after) for full ROM.

Otherwise - your routine looks good - take it slow, reinjury is a bitch, and harder to recover from - trust me, my knee is still AFU after the 3rd injury.
THX that what I'm doing. It hurt and I stopped and will start back after a week with body wieght training. Push ups, wieght ball (5#), etc.