PDA

View Full Version : Your Reading List, Part II

Roguish Lawyer
04-10-2006, 19:48
What books are you reading right now?

Currently reading:

Leadership And Training for the Fight: A Few Thoughts on Leadership And Training from a Former Special Operations Soldier, by Paul R. Howe

Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife: Counterinsurgency Lessons from Malaya and Vietnam, by John A. Nagl

Insurgency And Terrorism: From Revolution To Apocalypse, by Bard E. O'Neill

On deck:

Tactics of the Crescent Moon: Militant Muslim Combat Methods, by H. John Poole and Ray L. Smith.

Reflections of a Warrior: Six Years as a Green Beret in Vietnam, by Elwood J.C. Kureth

Mobile Guerrilla Force: With The Special Forces In War Zone D, by James C. Donahue

Battle for the Central Highlands: A Special Forces Story, by George Dooley

The Green Berets, by Robin Moore

airborneFSO
04-10-2006, 19:58
Recently Finshed:

Killing Pablo-Mark Bowden

Not a Good Day to Die-Sean Naylor

JawBreaker-Gary Berntsen

On deck:

First In-Gary Schroen

Guests of the Ayatollah-Mark Bowden

jon448
04-10-2006, 20:24
Recently Finished:
Choke by Chuck Palahnick
Eldest by Christopher Paolini
1776 by David McCullough

In Process:
Collapse by Jared Diamond
Feast for the Crows by George Martin

On Deck:
Who are We by Samuel Huntington
Fields of Battle by John Keegan
Savage Wars of Peace by Max Boot

jatx
04-10-2006, 20:39
Recently finished:

Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield
Behind the Lines: The Oral History of Special Operations in WW2 by Russell Miller
The Jedburghs by LTC Will Irwin
Judgment on Deltchev by Eric Ambler

In progress:

The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz
Judgment of Paris by George Taber

On deck:

Arabian Sands by Wilfred Thesiger
We Die Alone by David Howarth
My Reminisces of East Africa by Lettow-Vorbeck

lksteve
04-10-2006, 21:00
Writing Legal Descriptions by Gurdon Wattles
The Manual of Instructions for the Survey of the Public Lands of the United States
Boundary Control and Legal PrinciplesRobaillard, Wilson and Brown, largely because i am taking the California PLS exam and would prefer to be among the 9% who pass rather than the 91% who get to take the exam more than once...
and the corporate Strategic Plan from 2001 because the bosses say so...

what's on deck...?

the sports page...and
The Divided Ground by Alan Taylor
Andrew Jackson by H.W. Brands ( i need to finish this book)

y'all have fun...now, back to the CALTRANS video series...tonights topic...Water Boundaries...:(

Smokin Joe
04-10-2006, 22:12
Just finished:

The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz
Leadership And Training for the Fight: A Few Thoughts on Leadership And Training from a Former Special Operations Soldier by Paul R. Howe
The Arizona Revised Statue (Its a real page turner let me tell you :rolleyes: )

Currently Reading:

The Book of 5 Rings By Miyamoto Musashi (reading this again for the 2nd time...and its still a great book that I'm learning from)

On Deck:
Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield
Equal or Greater Force by Kit Cessna

Roguish Lawyer
04-11-2006, 01:17
So if you guys keep finishing all these books, how come you don't post reviews in this forum? :munchin

jatx
04-11-2006, 07:11
So if you guys keep finishing all these books, how come you don't post reviews in this forum? :munchin

Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis? :D

If one hasn't already been commented on extensively, I'll usually post. Maybe Joe and I should tackle Rawicz, since it seems to be controversial... :munchin

MtnGoat
04-11-2006, 07:34
Finished lately:

Ghost Wars By Steve Coll. and yes RL, I posted a review (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6999&highlight=ghost+wars).

Currently:

Human Factors Considerations of Undergrounds in Insurgencies By Andrew R. Molnar

On deck:
The Savage Wars of Peace: Small Wars and the Rise of American Power by Maxx Boot

Tactics of the Crescent Moon: Militant Muslim Combat Methods, by H. John Poole and Ray L. Smith.

stakk4
04-11-2006, 07:35
JUST FINISHED
Inside Delta Force
Not a Good Day to Die

NEXT UP
Masters of Chaos
Clear and Present Danger

JUST ORDERED
The Ugly American
Gates of Fire
Fight Club

Had to add that after reading the reviews I am going to look into Ghost Wars. Thanks all for the heads up!

Martin
04-11-2006, 08:33
I have been on and off Politics of Heroin, by Alfred W. McCoy for quite a while...

More actively reading, however:

In progress:
Undaunted Courage, by Stephen E. Ambrose
Practical Shooting, by Brian Enos (thanks FS!)
Leadership and Training for the Fight, by MSG Paul Howe

On the deck:
Citizen of the Galaxy, by Robert A. Heinlein
The True Believer, by Eric Hoffer
The Defense of Duffer's Drift, by Major General E. D. Swinton

The real list of things to read is loooong. :munchin

Good choice on We Die Alone, jatx. I want to read Gates of Fire too.

M

lksteve
04-11-2006, 08:50
In progress:
Undaunted Courage, by Stephen E. Ambrose
that's on my unfinished list as well...

The Defense of Duffer's Drift, by Major General E. D. Swinton
used to be required reading for 2LTs in the Infantry Officer's Basic Course...each lieutenant was required to submit a book report on the book...which meant each trainer was required to read and grade each book report...i've read the book once, i've read 200+ book reports...it'll be interesting to see your take on the book...:D

Martin
04-11-2006, 09:31
that's on my unfinished list as well...
I think you'll like it, Sir. He is a bit heavy on Jefferson in the beginning, but it turns more natural after a short while.

used to be required reading for 2LTs in the Infantry Officer's Basic Course...each lieutenant was required to submit a book report on the book...which meant each trainer was required to read and grade each book report...i've read the book once, i've read 200+ book reports...it'll be interesting to see your take on the book...:D
Oooh, I'm sure there is one simple solution. ;) :D

Just finished MSG Howe's book.

Martin

tk27
04-11-2006, 11:08
Recently Finsihed
State of War : The Secret History of the C.I.A. and the Bush Administration, by James Risen
The Rum Diary : A Novel, by Hunter S. Thompson
Blueprint for Action : A Future Worth Creating, by Thomas P.M. Barnett
The Moral Animal : Why We Are, the Way We Are: The New Science of Evolutionary Psychology, by Robert Wright
Illicit : How Smugglers, Traffickers and Copycats are Hijacking the Global Economy, by Moises Naim

Currently Reading
Nonzero : The Logic of Human Destiny, by Robert Wright
New Glory : Expanding America's Global Supremacy, by Ralph Peters
Our Posthuman Future: Consequences of the Biotechnology Revolution, by Francis Fukuyama
The Shield of Achilles: War, Peace, and the Course of History, by Philip Bobbitt

On Deck
Linked: How Everything Is Connected to Everything Else and What It Means, by Albert-Laszlo Barabasi
Big Boys' Rules: The Sas and the Secret Struggle Against the IRA, by Mark Urban
Guests of the Ayatollah : The First Battle in America's War with Militant Islam, by Mark Bowden

aricbcool
04-11-2006, 18:01

It's on the web here:http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/resources/csi/Swinton/Swinton.asp

Read it last year. For those that haven't, it's a very fascinating look into tactical problems and the many ways to solve, or fail to solve them. ;)

Recently I've been on a Heinlein kick and finished up:
The Sixth Column
Revolt in 2100/Methusela's Children
Menace from Earth

Recent Military Reads:
Hunting Down Saddam
Hunting the Jackal - highly recommended

Currently reading:
Dostoevsky's Notes from Underground

On deck:
Masters of Chaos

--Aric

Smokin Joe
04-11-2006, 20:20
Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis? :D

If one hasn't already been commented on extensively, I'll usually post. Maybe Joe and I should tackle Rawicz, since it seems to be controversial... :munchin

Start it, brother I'll back you up and/or add anything I think I can add.

jatx
04-11-2006, 22:16
Start it, brother I'll back you up and/or add anything I think I can add.

Okay, I'm about half through.

JMI
04-12-2006, 10:19
Finished:
Not A Good Day to Die

Currently:
Roberts Ridge

On Deck:
Guests of the Ayatollah

vsvo
04-13-2006, 21:39
Recently finished:

Dereliction of Duty: Lyndon Johnson, Robert McNamara, The Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the Lies That Led to Vietnam, by Col. H.R. McMaster, USA. Exhaustively researched, it carries the weight of an academic treatise; nevertheless, the plain language makes it easy to read and follow. The book provides surprising insight into the Johnson White House and the steps leading to deeper involvement in Vietnam.

By Order of the President, and Final Justice, both by W.E.B. Griffin. I’m in the tank for Griffin, I’ve read every book he’s written. It’s funny though, his Soldiers/ Marines/ LEOs/ Agents all seem to come from or marry into immense wealth and aristocracy.

Immediate Action, by Andy McNab. I chalked it up as an entertaining read, due in no small part to McNab’s sense of humor. Highlights include a glimpse into Selection, which was interesting in light of what’s discussed here regarding SFAS, as well as covered in Col. Beckwith’s and CSM Haney’s books. It’s impressive the places where this man and his mates have brewed tea. It reminded me of the coffee thread here (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2308). Plus, I finally learned what a “Walt” is.

On my nightstand:

Ghost Wars, by Steve Coll. I need to start catching up with the current conflict.

The One That Got Away, by Chris Ryan. I thought I would round out Bravo Two Zero and Gen. de la Billière’s books (Looking for Trouble, autobiography and Storm Command, account of the Gulf War) with another perspective.

Hunting the Jackal, by SGM Billy Waugh with Tim Keown

Masters of Chaos, by Linda Robinson

On deck:

I’ll just print this thread and start ordering.

NousDefionsDoc
04-13-2006, 22:01
Just Finished
Gates of Fire

Reading
Tides of War

Sdiver
04-13-2006, 22:07
About done--
Born in Blood: The Lost Secrets of Freemasonry

Next up--
Holy Blood--Holy Grail

MtnGoat
04-14-2006, 04:58
Recently finished:

Dereliction of Duty: Lyndon Johnson, Robert McNamara, The Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the Lies That Led to Vietnam, by Col. H.R. McMaster, USA. Exhaustively researched, it carries the weight of an academic treatise; nevertheless, the plain language makes it easy to read and follow. The book provides surprising insight into the Johnson White House and the steps leading to deeper involvement in Vietnam.

By Order of the President, and Final Justice, both by W.E.B. Griffin. I’m in the tank for Griffin, I’ve read every book he’s written. It’s funny though, his Soldiers/ Marines/ LEOs/ Agents all seem to come from or marry into immense wealth and aristocracy.

Immediate Action, by Andy McNab. I chalked it up as an entertaining read, due in no small part to McNab’s sense of humor. Highlights include a glimpse into Selection, which was interesting in light of what’s discussed here regarding SFAS, as well as covered in Col. Beckwith’s and CSM Haney’s books. It’s impressive the places where this man and his mates have brewed tea. It reminded me of the coffee thread here (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2308). Plus, I finally learned what a “Walt” is.

VSVO - Nice and thanks for the reviews you posted. RL nice to see someone can follow instructions on posting a review! ;)

Immediate Action seemed to be more of an attempt for McNab to make so more money. Good book overall, just My .02

vsvo
04-14-2006, 09:28
Thanks MtnGoat. You were right about Ghost Wars. I was struggling with it a little bit in the beginning pages, but based on your review I plowed forward. Now it's starting to get interesting with the Soviet invasion, and I look forward to finishing it.

MtnGoat
04-14-2006, 09:54
You were right about Ghost Wars. I was struggling with it a little bit in the beginning pages, but based on your review I plowed forward. Now it's starting to get interesting with the Soviet invasion, and I look forward to finishing it.

Wars can be slow read at times. I had it on my end table for a good 3-4 Months. But the overall info that the book has on the history for Stan is something that can't be passed up.

Like I said have highlighter and your laptop handy. DO some searches on the people and events and you'll learn ten times more. I'm thinking of adding the 911 report to my end table now. The footnotes are great reading too, look them up. There's more detail there too.

MAB32
04-14-2006, 18:39
I am reading Harve Saal's 4 volume set on SOG again. A set with lots of info from knives up through to the "off base activities".:)

huntcg
04-15-2006, 02:08
Currently reading Unlimited Power by Anthony Robbins, with On Killing by LTC Dave Grossman on deck, all as per WM's suggested reading list. I'm only on page 36 of Unlimited Power, and it is a breath of fresh air thus far. Will post reviews upon completion.

Monsoon65
04-16-2006, 21:03
Well, just finished:

Masters of Chaos - Linda Robinson

The Real Bravo Two Zero - Michael Asher

Working on:

The Dead of Winter - Bill Warnock (About recovery of US MIAs from the Battle of the Bulge)

Also finished some good mysteries from Will Thomas called "To kingdom come" and his first one, "Some danger involved". Both are very good.

REMFlt
04-18-2006, 06:58
just finished: Leadership and Training for the Fight
currently reading:
Seven Pillars of Wisdom- half finished
Tactics of the Crescent Moon
Collapse- Jared Diamond
On deck-
Unlimited Power- Anthony Robbins, as RX'd in "Get Selected"
The Ugly American

DunbarFC
04-24-2006, 11:16
Just Finished
Gates of Fire

Reading
Tides of War

I loved Gates of Fire but heard Tides of War wasn't as good

I'd appreciate it if you could let me know what you thought

I need some new books for the train

NousDefionsDoc
04-24-2006, 17:42
Of the two, I liked Gates of Fire better, but the other one wasn't bad at all. Just a different perspective.

DunbarFC
04-25-2006, 04:20
Of the two, I liked Gates of Fire better, but the other one wasn't bad at all. Just a different perspective.

Thanks

I appreciate it

DunbarFC
04-27-2006, 10:15
Just finished

The Honourable Schoolboy by John LeCarre

Up Now Russa's War - A History of the Soviet War Effort 1941-1945 by Richard Overy

MAB32
05-02-2006, 15:17
Forgot,

On deck for me is:

"Pamwe Chete" and "One Day Too Long"

I think everyone here knows what the first book is about (My friend David Scott-Donelan is in this one). The second one deals with the attack and fall of Lima Site 85.

stone
05-05-2006, 17:42
I’m currently reading Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why by Laurence Gonzales.

Outstanding book in my opinion-- extremely well written and seems to be equally well researched. It’s similar in style to a book like The Perfect Storm, combining ripping yarns with hard science, psychology etc. The stories of survival range from climbing accidents to shipwrecks to simply getting lost in the woods.

The centerpiece of the book is the story of the author’s father who piloted B-17 bombers for the Eighth Air Force until his plane was ripped apart by a German Flakbatalion-- the ship disintegrated but the pilot survived and landed, 27,000 feet later, still strapped in his seat in what remained of the cockpit.

Fascinating read.

Irrumpo
05-21-2006, 04:29
Reading: The Templars by Piers Paul Read, 1999, Da Capo Press - Great read so far as to the historical drama of such an organization as the Templars

Read: Devil's Guard by George Robert Elford, 1971 - Most probably fiction, but portrayed as fact about a WWII Wafen-SS officer and his comrades in the French Foreign Legion fighting the Viet Minh in the French Indochina War. Controversial, but still enjoyable reading.

TN FISH
05-21-2006, 23:45
Right Now:

"Traveling Light" Max Lucado

Ipod: When I run- "The Art of War" Sun Tzu

I have several I am trying to work in:

"Get Selected" - On its way

"Man's Search for Meaning"

"A Bloody Business- American's War Zone Contractors and the Occupation of Iraq" - Colonel Gerald Schumacher --- If anyone has read or heard anything about this book I would like to hear opinions. I want to go ahead and start it, but have too many on the list I need to knock out.

tk27
05-22-2006, 00:11
"A Bloody Business- American's War Zone Contractors and the Occupation of Iraq" - Colonel Gerald Schumacher --- If anyone has read or heard anything about this book I would like to hear opinions. I want to go ahead and start it, but have too many on the list I need to knock out.

I look forward to reading this book also, for what its worth there are a couple reviews on amazon, all positive, some by people say they are included in the book or former contractors. Robert Young Pelton also has a book coming out on the matter, the title and cover make me think it will be over the top, should be interesting nontheless.

I'm also looking forward to reading Blood Stripes: The Grunt's View of the War in Iraq by David J. Danelo, after a stong review by Ralph Peters (http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/books/66302.htm) and the recomendation of Nate Fick (Capt. USMC ret, author, and a great man who I had the pleasure of tiping a few beers back with a few weeks ago).

x SF med
05-22-2006, 05:41
Just reread the entire Dorsai series. Art of War, Book of 5 Rings, War through the Ages, The Power of Personality in War.

Been on a rereading kick since joining the site - odd how that happens.

C46thVA
05-22-2006, 16:53
Just finished "Team Sergeant" by William T Craig. This is probably the third time Ive read this book. I can never get enough of this salty old soldier. I highly reccomend it to anyone who may be interested in the life of a 1st Grp NCO in the 60's and 70's. SGM Craig also wrote "Lifer", this covers his career up till 1964. This guy was one helluva soldier.Maybe somebody here served with him and could tell tall tales???.

Up next: "Shooting the moon"
JW

Kahuku Saint
06-06-2006, 00:27
...um, yeah. I've been offline working on something resembling a thesis, so I've probably been reading too much; combine that with a penchant for reading everything I can get my hands on, and I have definitely been reading too much.

Well, then. I'm currently absorbed in:

The Transformation of War by Martin van Crevald

Breaking the Phalanx: A New Design for Landpower in the 21st Century by Col. Douglas Macgregor, USAR(?)

The Finishing School: Earning the Navy Seal Trident by Dick Couch

Neo-Bohemia: Art and Commerce in the Post-Industrial City by Richard Lloyd

Following these, I'll (re)read:

On Guerrilla Warfare by Mao Tse-tung

The Quiet American by Graham Greene

Duende: A Journey into the Heart of Flamenco by Jason Webster

Then I'll probably end up reading several other books that'll make the QPs here shake their heads and sigh. ;)

-KS

aestreet
06-06-2006, 01:33
Just finished: Not a Good Day to Die, Awsome book, gives you an idea of the competancy and dedication of a Special Operations warrior, finished it in a few days.

On Deck: Guests of the Ayatollah

Recommend: The Clash of Civilizations, Samuel P Huntington. and Hagakure, by Yamamoto Tsunetomo

stone
06-10-2006, 10:37
Currently reading [U]Bodyguard of Lies: The Extraordinary True Story Behind D-Day.[U] by Anthony Cave Brown

This book has been around awhile-- originally published in 1975-- but nevertheless it is worth reading or even rereading. The main focus of the book is "telling the most complete story of the biggest and most complicated intelligence operation in the history of war." Lots of deception, deceit, cross, double-cross, triple-cross etc. Also talks about SOE, OSS, SAS, Jedburghs.... interesting stuff. Definitely worth reading.

stone
06-23-2006, 21:06
Just started reading Guerrillas: Journeys in the Insurgent World by Jon Lee Anderson. Anderson writes well and is a pretty solid journalist-- he also wrote The Fall of Baghdad and a biography on Che Guevara. This one’s a little dated (published 1992) but interesting nonetheless. He writes about late 80’s mujahedin in Afghanistan, the FMLN of El Salvador, the Karen of Burma, the Polisario of Western Sahara, and a group of young Palestinians in the Gaza Strip. If it measures up to his other stuff it should be good stuff.

tk27
07-28-2006, 11:52
Recently Finished:
The Long Emergency: Surviving the End of Oil, Climate Change, and Other Converging Catastrophes of the Twenty-First Century by James Howard Kunstler
A biting overview of the worst-case scenarios we may face in the years ahead. Kunstler writes of the dystopian future we face when cheap oil runs out, the climate changes, diseases proliferate and the global system breaks down. Easy to read, poorly documented, but makes you think.

Blow the House Down: A Novel by Robert Baer
Former CIA agent Robert Baer’s first work of fiction, Blow Down the House weaves a story that culminates with the 9/11 attacks. The plot revolves around veteran case officer Max Waller’s career beginning with the kidnapping of Beirut station chief William Buckley, a rogue agency mans son, KSM, and a blue eyed Iranian intel officer. Baer works many elements of his own career into the story, and provides enough cool-guy stuff for Armchair Spooks like myself to salivate over, but just cannot compete in the realm of the espionage novel with the big dogs. For my money I'll take John Weisman’s (not the Rogue Warrior stuff he co-wrote, but SOAR, Jack in the Box, and Direct Action) novels any day over Blow the House Down. I got much more out of Baer’s nonfiction work and more entertainment from other novelists.

Blowing My Cover: My Life as a CIA Spy by Lindsay Moran
I enjoyed Ms. Moran’s candor and writing style. That said Blowing My Cover offers little significant insights into an important area. Moran while clearly qualified, appears to have little clue into what she was getting into by joining the Directorate of Operations. In a way it was painful to read about Moran’s encounters with the ugliness of human nature, and her realization that being a case officer is not like being Harriet the Spy.

The Alphabet of Manliness, by Maddox
This may be the funniest book since Gutenberg invented to printing press. I have enjoyed Maddox’s website for years now, and he does not disappoint here. His latest entry is on 9/11 conspiracy theories and the clowns that propagate them (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=911_morons) had be cracking up (warning foul language).

The Battle for Peace: A Frontline Vision of America's Power and Purpose by Gen. Tony Zinni
Far too much to cover in a short review: Gen. Zinni offers a pragmatic, low-key approach to world affairs.

The Man Who Warned America: The Life and Death of John O'Neill, the FBI's Embattled Counterterror Warrior by Murray Weiss
The Man Who Warned America is a well-written and researched look at the life of John O’Neill, the former FBI Agent who worked counterterrorism and died on 9/11. As head of security for the WTC, O’Neill was last seen running into the south tower. While personally flawed O’Neill was one hell of an Agent, his commitment to the Bureau and this country is inspirational.

Inevitable Surprises: Thinking Ahead in a Time of Turbulence by Peter Schwartz
Schwartz is a futurist and scenario planner and consultant to the government and some of the world’s largest corporations. There is too-much to cover in a short review, a very good read. For those interested I recommend Schwartz’s brief located here (http://www.jhuapl.edu/POW/rethinking/video.cfm#schwartz).

Currently Reading:
The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason by Sam Harris
Dying to Win: The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism by Robert Pape
The One Percent Doctrine by Ron Suskind
Origin of Wealth: Evolution, Complexity, and the Radical Remaking of Economics by Eric D. Beinhocker

On deck:
Seven Sins of American Foreign Policy by Loch K Johnson
The Prize : The Epic Quest for Oil, Money & Power by Daniel Yergin
The Rise and Decline of the State by Martin van Creveld

Martin
07-28-2006, 15:39
Origin of Wealth: Evolution, Complexity, and the Radical Remaking of Economics by Eric D. Beinhocker
That sounds interesting, how do you like it?

(In other news, I've just started reading NDD's Why Men Rebel, by Ted Gurr)

Martin

Phazed
08-01-2006, 11:25
Just Finished
Gates of Fire

Currently Reading
Charlie Wilson's War
The Ugly American

Next Up
Under and Alone

I need to hire someone to come with me to the bookstore next time so they can slap me when I try to buy more than 1 book.

NousDefionsDoc
08-01-2006, 17:09
How did you like Gates of Fire?

Phazed
08-01-2006, 19:20
Honestly that book almost had me in tears. It was extremely powerful. Great character development as well. I really liked how all of the spartans came together in the end after all of the grudges they had amongst themselves. I'd say more but I'm not sure if you've read it. I don't want to spoil anything.

This would be the book I would bring to SFAS, since the whole "never quitting" theme is aparent throughout the whole book. Its very inspiring.

NousDefionsDoc
08-01-2006, 19:41
Yes, I've read it. But others have not. I liked it very much as well.

JMI
08-01-2006, 20:01
I'd post what I am reading/have read/have on deck, but I got most of the ideas from here, so I'd be repeating all of you.

Just bought Gates of Fire (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553580531/sr=8-1/qid=1154485015/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-2708992-0853552?ie=UTF8) 2 mins ago.

FSU Bulldog
08-07-2006, 06:41
Honestly that book almost had me in tears. It was extremely powerful. Great character development as well. I really liked how all of the spartans came together in the end after all of the grudges they had amongst themselves. I'd say more but I'm not sure if you've read it. I don't want to spoil anything.

This would be the book I would bring to SFAS, since the whole "never quitting" theme is aparent throughout the whole book. Its very inspiring.

I would definitely recommend bringing Gates of Fire to SFAS. At my unit, we started a new tradition with this book. The guy at SFAS signs his name and class date in the book then passes it down to one guy going to the next class. I read it there. Hopefully the next guy I pass it off to does as well.

Just finished:
Roughneck 91

Reading:
Hunting Al Qaeda again

On deck:
On War
Future Jihad: Terrorist Stratigies Against America

Chris
08-07-2006, 07:36
Just into Gates of Fire, have Steven Pressfields latest 'Afghan Campaign' (Alexander the Great's invasion of said region) for when I finish GOF.

jatx
08-07-2006, 08:30
Yes, I've read it. But others have not. I liked it very much as well.

What a great book. I have given copies to a number of friends as gifts, and all have enjoyed it just as much. The Afghan Campaign is waiting for me when I return home again in a couple of weeks.

Roycroft201
08-08-2006, 14:26
At my unit, we started a new tradition with this book. The guy at SFAS signs his name and class date in the book then passes it down to one guy going to the next class. I read it there. Hopefully the next guy I pass it off to does as well.

What a great tradition !

(Even if you DO go to FSU ! :p )

Roycroft201
(sister of a Gator, aunt of a Gator, aunt-in-law of a Gator :lifter )

FSU Bulldog
08-08-2006, 14:50
What a great tradition !

(Even if you DO go to FSU ! :p )

Roycroft201
(sister of a Gator, aunt of a Gator, aunt-in-law of a Gator :lifter )

LOL :D Thanks. Hopefully we can keep it going for a long time.

GO CROCS!!!!

Wade1066
08-22-2006, 20:40
My intention is to understand guerrilla warfare in order to successfully fight -- most likely as a conventional soldier -- guerrillas. Books I've read on the subject so far:

On Guerrilla Warfare, by Mao Tse-tung
The Savage Wars of Peace, by Max Boot
The Sling and The Stone, COL Thomas X. Hammes
Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife, by LTC John A. Nagl

Reading now:

The Village, by COL Bing West

Reading next:

FM 3-24

Patriot
08-29-2006, 12:48
I have recently read "Plan of Attack" by Bob Woodward. I found it tedious, but informative, if one is interested in the Bush Administration's inner workings in the run up to OIF. It doesn't touch the combat phase but provides an almost hypnotic account of the in-fighting between OSD/OSS and the relationships Rumsfeld had with his subordinates, dominated by a blow by blow account of his relationship with General Franks and how deeply Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz got involved in operational planning.

Also, "In the Company of Soldiers" by Rick Atkinson, I'm an Atkinson fan and have read all his books. This one was my least favorite. Although I highly recommend it to the layman who doesn't have a good grasp of how the Army operates in combat. The book gives worthy praise to one of our better General Officers today, General Patraeus who commanded the 101st ABN during OIF. Atkinson was embedded with the 101st during the drive to Bagdahd and illustrates the strategic thought processes of the Army commander at the division level and higher. It is a down and dirty account of the campaign leading to the overthrow of the Hussein regime and it tells all the good and the bad.

"American Soldier" by General Tommy Franks. You know, it seems almost a requirement these days for former general officers to write a book in the attempt to preserve their legacy. Unfortunately for General Franks, this is the obvious intent of his book. I was reminded of General Norman Schwartzkopf's book "It doesn't take a Hero", which was a straight forward "aint I great" book. I almost stopped reading it but wanted to see what Franks had to say about OSD meddling in writing the OIF campaign plan. Franks goes so far as to say his staff complained about being harassed by OSD staffers. Other than that it offers nothing but loyal praise for Rumsfeld, and I was disappointed in knowing what I know now, that Rumsfeld and the OSD put tremendous pressure on Frank's staff, and that they got far too involved in operational planning. I was hoping for an honest account from his perspective, but alas, Franks is loyal to Rumsfeld throughout.

"Fiasco: By Thomas Ricks. This one is a page turner, highly entertaining, a no holds barred narrative that begins with the sloppy closing of Desert Storm through the present day situation in Iraq. Broken into bite size pieces, easy to follow and understand how the civilian leadership at OSD got completely lost in the minutia of the campaign plan, the conflicts between OSD and OSS, the mistakes, miscalculations, and bad decisions made by civilian leaders who refused to make contingency plans for worse case scenarios in OIF. It paints the military as an organization with its hands tied by it's civilian masters, forced to fight a war many high level Army leaders thought was not necessary, to execute a campaign plan most general officers didn't believe would work, and to go to war with far less troops than they thought they needed. A damning account of OSD specifically, the administration generally, with a few notable exceptions such as Colin Powell and Richard Armetage.

huntcg
09-12-2006, 07:26
Just finished Not A Good Day To Die by Sean Naylor. I found the book extremely informative. At times his chronicling of the planning process for Operation Anaconda seemed convoluted, but then again I'm sure the process was very convoluted with all of the different entities involved. Overall a good read.

AF IDMT
09-19-2006, 08:16
Reading: Roughneck 91 (almost half way through, and it's AWESOME so far)
Blog of War (skipped to the "Healers" section first but will read it all)

On deck: Gates of Fire
Masters of Chaos
Apparently I'm really into novels with the word "of" in the title. I'm hunting for more books told from the medics point of view or about military medics.

lrd
09-19-2006, 10:17
On deck: Gates of Fire

Reading: Pressfield's THE AFGHAN CAMPAIGN.

On deck:

SECRET SOLDIERS, Philip Gerard
DON'T TREAD ON ME: A 400-year History of America at War, H.W. Crocker III

Air.177
09-19-2006, 11:40
Reading: Pressfield's Virtues of War. Account of Alexander's campaigns told from his point of view.

On Deck: Catch 22, On Killing, World War Z (sequal to Zombie Survival guide) I know On Killing is suspect at best, but it is widely read and I feel it necessary to have an understanding of it so I can discuss if need be.

Just Finished:
Dune
Gates of Fire
Afghan Campaigns

mugwump
09-19-2006, 13:50
Most recent:

The Miracle Seven I bought this outstanding fitness book, which promotes the use of body-weight-only and isometric exercises (Transformetrics in marketing-speak), to get a regimen to use when I'm out of town and I have no gym. I've been using parts of this regimen for two months, alternating days with free weights. The free weight days are much easier. I'm in the process of switching over 100% to this process. I'm trying to break my eternal cycle of being fit, hurting myself, getting flabby, and fighting back to fitness. I'm getting too old for that, healing takes longer and longer.

- Backyard Livestock: Raising Good Natural Food for Your Family (Revised, Expanded Edition) I got this purely to freak out the wife -- my daughter and I would wind her up by debating whether Nubian or Appenzell goats would adapt better to a backyard environment, or whether chickens would make too much noise for the people next door. That said, it's really a great book. It came highly recommended on Amazon and I actually think I could raise some chickens after reading it. I was surprised at the massive amount of food and supplements it takes to get milk from a goat or eggs from chickens.

- Water and Wastewater Treatment: A Guide for the Nonengineering Professionals I don't want to give away the plot and spoil it for everyone, but just let me say it was gripping, absolutely gripping. A real page-turner.

- Native American Beadwork: Traditional Beading Techniques for the Modern-Day Beadworker. My godson's umbilical fetish burned up with his gear. This is a Big Deal to him, like a two-year-old losing his bankie (he's FBI: Full-Blooded Indian, feather, not dot). The daughter and I are making him a replacement. This is written by a German no less who has spent his whole life studying traditional beading and quilling techniques. Apparently, slews of Europeans recreate entire Sioux villages with absolutely authentic clothing, lodges, cooking utensils, etc. They're really anal about, too, kinda like the Civil War reenactors who shun the guy who uses the wrong hobnails in his shoes. Who knew? That said, it's a great book. Highly recommended for all you guys making umbilical fetishes.

Currently:

- Stochastic Processes, I am trying to learn about Kolmogorov axiomatization, whatever the hell that is. The people who work for me are much smarter than me, and not above pitching BS my way. Gotta keep 'em on their toes.

On Deck:

World War Z

x SF med
09-19-2006, 14:04
Mug-
If Stochasic Process isn't a big enough page turner -

I'm currently reading An Introduction to the History of Mathematics- and no it's not for a class, it's because, well, I guess I'm odd, even for a QP.

Also on the nightstand is The Dancing Wu Li Masters - a little light quantum physics anybody? actually very well written and informative - if you like Heisenberg, Schroedinger, Einstein, etc...

My light reading (for you old 1/10 guys, this is a scream) Crossfire by JC Pollock - defector snatching over the wire in CZ, ca 84-85, essentially by one SF MSG backed by the VA mob... I guess you had to have been there. Don't even know if it's still in print - found it in a used bookstore.

Gilgamesh - had to reread it.

Kim, Rudyard Kipling - an annual re-read - forced into it early by Gypsy.

Gypsy
09-19-2006, 17:51
Just started America's Victories, Why the US wins wars and will win the war on terror by Larry Schweikart

On deck (when received) Kim by Rudyard Kipling

S3Project
09-19-2006, 19:37
Reading: The Ugly American and The Man Who Would Be King and Other Stories by Rudyard Kipling

Finished: Roughneck 91, Imperial Grunts.

Next: Founding Brothers, The Savage Wars of Peace: Small Wars and the Rise of American Power

Cincinnatus
09-20-2006, 18:14
- Water and Wastewater Treatment: A Guide for the Nonengineering Professionals I don't want to give away the plot and spoil it for everyone, but just let me say it was gripping, absolutely gripping. A real page-turner.

:D :D :D

(he's FBI: Full-Blooded Indian, feather, not dot)

You know the joke, a real groaner, about the religious connotations of the dot and the turban...

... wait for it...

.... push start vs. pull start! :eek:

x SF med
09-20-2006, 19:15
:D :D :D

You know the joke, a real groaner, about the religious connotations of the dot and the turban...

... wait for it...

.... push start vs. pull start! :eek:

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! would you like a slurpee with that? (I tried to hold back, but it just had to follow that one)

jatx
09-20-2006, 20:48
The Afghan Campaign is waiting for me when I return home again in a couple of weeks.

I just finished this one. I'd be interested to know what others have thought (lrd, Air. 177, please chime in). While interesting due to the subject matter, i.e. Alexander's attempted conquest of Afghanistan, I found it to be pale and bloodless compared to Pressfield's earlier works. While Gates of Fire has become a frequent gift item of mine, this one is getting dropped at Half Price Books. Not even worth the shelf space. :(

Monsoon65
09-20-2006, 20:50
Well into "It never snows in September: The German View of Market Garden and the Battle of Arnhem September 1944 " by Robert Kershaw. Since Market Garden was in September 62 years ago, it's only fitting.

For fiction, "Night over Day over Night" by Paul Watkins. A yearly read for me.

lrd
09-21-2006, 16:40
I just finished this one. I'd be interested to know what others have thought (lrd, Air. 177, please chime in). While interesting due to the subject matter, i.e. Alexander's attempted conquest of Afghanistan, I found it to be pale and bloodless compared to Pressfield's earlier works. While Gates of Fire has become a frequent gift item of mine, this one is getting dropped at Half Price Books. Not even worth the shelf space. :(
Think Iliad vs. Odyssey.

Air.177
09-22-2006, 00:20

I found it interesting as well, but not nearly the equal to Gates of Fire. I like the author's writing style and I have no major problems with any of his books I have read. That being said, and all things being relative, Afghan Campaigns pales in comparison to Gates.

Good times,
Blake

billie
10-03-2006, 07:15
Am interested in reading anyone's review of The Long Walk, as that book has been on my list for several years. I read about it in the Common Reader catalog, a great little resource for discovering great reads that are often obscure..

billie

CoLawman
10-10-2006, 12:39
Just got back from Borders. Spent a BD gift card on the following:

Not A Good Day to Die

Hunting Al Qaeda

Flags of Our Fathers (This one on recommendation from several people at work who said to read it before seeing the movie.)

Two books I read prior to see the movie were;

We Were Soldiers Once and Young

Blackhawk Down

In both instances I was glad I had read the book first.

mconrad
10-29-2006, 20:46
Currently:
Truman by David McCullough
Gulliver's Travels (cause I always like a classic novel)
Small Unit Leadership: A Commonsense Approach

On deck:
Holy War Inc.
Intelligence Analysis Methods

Richard
10-30-2006, 22:00
Currently-

See No Evil - Rbt Baer - true story that suggested movie Syriana
American Battles - Don Troiani - the art of America at war 1754-1865
V for Victory - Stan Cohen - America's homefront during WW2

Just finished-

The Afghan - Frederick Forsyth
Patton's Third Army at War - George Forty
Allied Photo Reconnaissance of WW@ - Chris Staerck

MtnGoat
11-19-2006, 16:53
I would definitely recommend bringing Gates of Fire to SFAS. At my unit, we started a new tradition with this book. The guy at SFAS signs his name and class date in the book then passes it down to one guy going to the next class. I read it there. Hopefully the next guy I pass it off to does as well.

FSU good idea with the book.

MtnGoat
11-19-2006, 16:55
Currently reading No Shortcuts to the Top By Ed Viesturs with Bavid Robert

About Ed Viesturs life as becoming America's top climber and his 18 yrs plus on topping all 8,000 meter hills. So far easy reading.

Review to come.

sg1987
11-30-2006, 13:28
Recently finshed

Roughneck 91
Masters of Chaos

working on

Road to Unafraid

tk27
02-25-2007, 20:02
In the past few months
Finished
The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game by Michael Lewis - If you like football read this book, if you like good writing read this book, if you like human interest stories read it. Best book I read all last year, Michael Lewis is one of the best writers going.
Silent Warfare: Understanding the World of Intelligence, 3d Edition by Abram N. Shulsky , Gary J. Schmitt
Class 11: Inside the CIA's First Post-9/11 Spy Class by T.J. Waters - Horrible
Secrets of the Kingdom: The Inside Story of the Secret Saudi-U.S. Connection by Gerald L. Posner - Good
Roughneck 91 - Good read
The Adventurist: My Life in Dangerous Places by Robert Young Pelton - RYP's autobiography, if you enjoy his work read it.
The Outlaw Sea: A World of Freedom, Chaos, and Crime by William Langewiesche - In a style of his own, Langewiesche, explores modern day piracy, international regulation, flags of convenience and corruption on the high seas of maritime commerce. Very well written and researched.
Licensed to Kill: Hired Guns in the War on Terror by Robert Young Pelton - Good read
Beyond Oil: The View from Hubbert's Peak by Kenneth S. Deffeyes - Very sober look at world energy, Deffeyes a former geologist at Shell and current professor at Princeton, claims world oil production peaked on December 2005. Deals with complex science in a manner accessible to a layperson.
Triple Cross: How bin Laden's Master Spy Penetrated the CIA, the Green Berets, and the FBI--and Why Patrick Fitzgerald Failed to Stop Him by Peter Lance - Investigative reporter Lance writes the most detailed look at the activities of Ali Mohamed available in open source. Infuriating.
American Theocracy: The Peril and Politics of Radical Religion, Oil, and Borrowed Money in the 21st Century by Kevin Phillips - Phillips, a former GOP strategist who laid out the groundwork for the modern GOP looks deeply into shifts in American religious demographics, our dependency on imported oil and our deficit problems.
Blinded by the Right: The Conscience of an Ex-Conservative by David Brock - The confessions of a member of the "vast rightwing conspicracy". Will be a case study in political zealotry for decades.
AMERICA AT NIGHT: The True Story of Two Rogue C.I.A. Operatives, Homeland Security Failures, Dirty Money, and a Plot to Steal the 2004 U.S. Presidential Election — by the Former Intelligence Agent Who Foiled the Plan By Larry J. Kolb - Disturbing
The New Great Game: Blood and Oil in Central Asia by Lutz Kleveman - Good update to Hoprick's classic.
Currently Reading
Politics Lost: How American Democracy Was Trivialized By People Who Think You're Stupid by Joe Klein
Edward Lansdale's Cold War by Jonathan Nashel
The Fourth World War: Diplomacy and Espionage in the Age of Terrorism by Count Alexandre de Marenches
For the Common Defense by Allan R. Millett and Peter Maslowski
On Deck
Diplomat in Khaki: Major General Frank Ross McCoy and American Foreign Policy, 1898-1949 by Andrew J. Bacevich
Nemesis: The Last Days of the American Republic by Chalmers Johnson
GLOBALISTAN: How the Globalized World Is Dissolving Into Liquid War by Pepe Escobar
The Utility of Force: The Art of War in the Modern World by Rupert Smith
Putin's Russia: Life in a Failing Democracy by Anna Politkovskaya
Contra Cross: Insurgency And Tyranny in Central America, 1979-1989 by William R. Meara
Inside the Jihad: My Life With Al Qaeda: A Spy's Story by Omar Nasiri
Planet of Slums by Mike Davis
Shadow Cities: A Billion Squatters, A Urban New World by Robert Neuwirth
A Thousand Barrels a Second: The Coming Oil Break Point and the Challenges Facing an Energy Dependent World by Peter Tertzakian
Wikinomics: How Mass Collaboration Changes Everything by Don Tapscott
Awaiting Release
The Atomic Bazaar: The Rise of the Nuclear Poor by William Langewiesche
Brave New War: The Next Stage of Terrorism and the End of Globalization by John Robb
The Changing Face of War: Lessons of Combat, from the Marne to Iraq by Martin Van Creveld
Boomsday by Christopher Buckley
At the Center of the Storm by George Tenet
Chief of Station, Congo: Fighting the Cold War in a Hot Zone by Larry Devlin
Merchant of Death: Money, Guns, Planes, and the Man Who Makes War Possible by Douglas Farah

AusDigger
02-27-2007, 17:59
For those who have read Bravo Two Zero, and Immediate action, you should read "The Amazing SAS" by Ian McPhedran. And if you are a real enthusiast read SAS : Phantoms of War. A History of the Australian Special Air Service by David Horner

Masters of Chaos is a good read too.
As is "The Battle of Mogadishu"

G
02-27-2007, 18:01
I have just finished re-reading The Silent War, by Peter Stiff http://www.galago.co.za/CAT1_A_b.htm

This book focuses on the operations of the South African Special Forces from 1969 -1994.

It is a brilliantly written book with plenty of good (accurate) information.

The most interesting part of the book for me was on recruitment and selection. The section goes into detail about the physical / psychological / emotional / intelligence model that was put togther to describe a Special Forces Operator.

Descriptions of operations are very accurate (a close friend is mentioned numerous times in the book - he was never interviewed first-hand but the information relating to his activities is spot-on). Hoepoe, you'll know who I'm talking about!

Many people would be surprised to know that the Southern African AOR was a real "hot-spot" of the cold-war in the 80's, with S.African forces fighting against battalion size Cuban military formations (There were 50 000 Cuban troops in theatre at one stage). Troops in neighbouring countries were often "advised" by Russian and East German personnel (Some of whom were KIA during that time).

There is information that would still be relevant to people selecting personnel for special units or working in counter-insurgency today.

I highly recommend this book!

G

kgoerz
02-27-2007, 20:10
Has anyone ever thought of posting a list of completed books you don't want or can't keep. I know I have a growing pile at home, no room for them. Usually take them to the local library. Maybe a one for one book exchange or an offer to buy from the list . This would really benefit us members overseas.

Paddy79
03-02-2007, 16:05
I have recently read:

First Into Action by Duncan Falconer. I recommend this biography of the authors life in the SBS. Gives an interesting account of what SBS selection was like in the 1970's and what it was like to be selected for and operate with 14 Int in Northern Ireland.

Squaddie by Steven Mclaughlin. Very well written account of a 30 year old guys 3 years in the Royal Green Jackets Regiment, from basic training through to tours in Iraq and Northern Ireland. McLaughlin tells it like it is in an intelligent and considered way and goes into good detail about what its really like to be in a British Infantry Regiment. Interestingly he describes how the RGJ's were precursors of todays SF. Read it and find out why.

Forgotten
03-21-2007, 09:06
Just Finished:

Scarecrow series by Matthew Reilly ( Really good Military Fiction though a lot of things in his books are over the top it has some real good fast paced action.)

Books in the Series:
Ice Station
Area 7
Scarecrow

I have also read Contest and Temple by him they were also very good reads.

The entire Ice and Fire Series by Geroge R.R. Martin ( A Game of Thrones- A Feast for Crows) Awesome High Fantasy Novals.

What I am Reading Now:

Clive Cussler's Dark Pitt Series
Harry Constance's Biograhy Good to Go
SOG

On Deck:

James Rollin's Book Series

Air.177
03-21-2007, 12:51
What I'm reading now:
Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe's rifles

What I've recently finished:
The Count of Monte Cristo (Classic revenge story, turned into a decent movie)

World War Z (oral history of the zombie war. Entertaining)

Armeggedon Day by Day (more on the Zombie theme, with a twist of Reaper's "Be Prepared" thread)

On Deck:
The rest of the Sharpe's rifles series about British Napoleonic era warfare.

Good times,
blake

kgoerz
03-21-2007, 19:55
Class 11: Inside the CIA's First Post-9/11 Spy Class by T.J. Waters - Horrible

Just finished it. about a bunch of overly pampered, sniveling cry babies going thru the CIA spy school after 911. Its very clear why the CIA White House relationship went south. It's very clear why the CIA would leak information to undermine Bush. They are Democrats! It filled up with people jumping on the patriotic bandwagon after 911. But soon fell off that wagon when it wasn't cool anymore. They just didn't fall off far enough to leave the CIA.

Roughneck 91. Best book I read about the A Team experience. For SF the combat parts of the book are great but even greater, everything leading up to the combat. This is what makes it appealing to SF and civilians. Never enjoyed books about SF/SPEC OPS after serving in SF. This book has a way around that. Hope more are written this way. The parts about the Govt Credit Card/FedEx delivery's were classic SF.

America At Night "The True Story of Two Rogue C.I.A. Operatives, Homeland Security Failures, Dirty Money, and a Plot to Steal the 2004 U.S. Presidential Election" all the stuff that you know happens in our Govt but don't want to believe. Good read. At times critical of the current administration but this administration just happens to be the current one.

The Mr. & Mrs. Happy Handbook: Call me a wuss if you want. The parts about raising kids were Hilarius and scary. Married with no kids, reading this book will keep you that way.

Gypsy
03-21-2007, 20:21
Currently:

American Airborne Forces by W. Thomas Smith Jr. (This is a narrative history of America's combat parachute forces)

On deck:

The Politically Incorrect Guide to The South (And Why it will Rise Again) by Clint Johnson (author of In the Footsteps of Robert E. Lee)

Religion of Peace? Islam's War Against the World by Gregory M. Davis

dedeppm
03-29-2007, 18:44
I know Stone posted on the book Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzales sometime ago. I just read it and found it to be an excellent book. The author basically utilizes various scientific and philosophical approaches to ask two questions: 1. Why do accidents happen? and 2. Why do some people survive while others do not?

He illustrates principles with a series of anecdotes which are themselves quite interesting to read. He demonstrates the mistakes that you can make in a given situation by using the stories of the dead as a warning. Conversely, he comes up with a list of traits that are shared by survivors everywhere, regardless of the specific circumstances of the disaster that has befallen them.

The reason I wanted to know if anyone else had read this book is largely because of the appendix. The author distills what he has just spent the past 275 pages writing about and comes up with a list of 12 things that survivors do. It wasn't until I saw all the steps written out that it really struck me: Wow, this seems to be a great guideline to prepare one's self mentally to handle a challenge (read: SFAS). I was simply curious if anyone else reached this same conclusion, or just found this book as cool a read as I.

Monsoon65
04-01-2007, 19:37
The Mr. & Mrs. Happy Handbook: Call me a wuss if you want. The parts about raising kids were Hilarius and scary. Married with no kids, reading this book will keep you that way.

Hmmmm, might have to leave that one out for the girlfriend to read!

I just finished Armageddon by Max Hastings. Great book about the final year of WW2. Actually my second time reading it.

Gypsy
04-14-2007, 20:19
I am about 1/3 of the way through Religion of Peace? Islam's War Against the World by Gregory M. Davis. From the jacket:

Religion of Peace? examines the growing muslim presence in the West, the threat that islam presents in a nuclear age, and the persistent unwillingness of Western governments and the media to name the true source of muslim violence, bigotry and hate: islam itself. ..... is a clarion call to the west-either acknowledge the brutal reality on islam's true nature, or risk being consumed by it.

A true eye opener, when I finish I'll make it available in the book exchange. (I have this weird tendency to read more than one book at a time, but in this instance I'll read it through.)

Gypsy
06-13-2007, 19:55
Just starting The Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell

On deck, An Enormous Crime (as mentioned by COL M in another thread)

Thomas_Leo
06-17-2007, 20:58
Finished:
Point Man by: James Watson

The Ugly American
It was a great read and a real eye opener.

Currently reading:

Rediscovering Catholicism by: Matthew Kelly

On Deck:

Taking suggestions....

I'm doing researching for a book that will most benefit me, college student who may be enlisting in the near future and is short on funds.

nmap
06-23-2007, 13:03
Finished:

Twilight in the Desert: The Coming Saudi Oil Shock and the World Economy by Simmons. Excellent book, filled with details about the Saudi oil fields, as well as the concept of peak oil in general.

Saudi Arabia Exposed: Inside a Kingdom in Crisis by Bradley. Nice discussion of Saudi Arabia, especially with regards to the Shia minority located in the oil producing region.

Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed by Diamond. Interesting perspective on the failure of societies, and the decisions that lead to such failures. Easter Island's collapse is of interest; the Norse Greenland colony's collaps - partly due, apparently, to a refusal to consume fish - is poignant.

Next up: At the Center of the Storm: My Years at the CIA, by Tenet

billie
06-23-2007, 14:18
I just finished The Company, by Robert Littell, which has been in my pile for a number of years. It starts off slowly, and I've put it aside several times b/c of that, but I persisted with this read and once I got 50 or so pages in, I became absorbed.

Up next is The CIA At War by Ronald Kessler and Barry Eisler's The Last Assassin.

jevo1976
06-30-2007, 13:29
I'm currently reading Chosen Soldier by Dick Couch. It's a pretty good read, and I recognize the pseudo-names of some of the instructors, like SFC Ross Jennings. That guy PT'd the heck out of us. I found myself laughing at times, remembering some of the foolish mistakes I made during the Q. I also gained an appreciation for why they made us do some of the things that we did throughout the course.

I also recently read "Reflections of a Warrior", by former MOH winner Franklin D. Miller. I think I read it in five days, but I always enjoy reading about MACV-SOG era guys.

Another recent read was "The Book of Honor", by Ted Gup. It's a very interesting book with some great stories about men and women who died while conducting operations for the CIA.

Monsoon65
07-04-2007, 21:09
On Deck:
The rest of the Sharpe's rifles series about British Napoleonic era warfare...

How are those Shape's books treating you? Great reads, aren't they?

Working on "The Crystal Cave" right now. Haven't read that one in years and was looking for something light to read.

Dominus_Potior
07-06-2007, 03:11
Working on "The Crystal Cave" right now. Haven't read that one in years and was looking for something light to read.

The Crystal Cave is a great book.
I just finished "This Side of Paradise". It had good reviews but I didn't like it.

afchic
07-06-2007, 12:31
Just starting The Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell

On deck, An Enormous Crime (as mentioned by COL M in another thread)

I am just starting this, and wondered what you thought. I am getting the same feeling reading this as I did when I read "Blackhawk Down", which is thank God there are men like this in the world, and I hope my sons grow up to be like that.

I just finshed reading "Exile" by Richard North Patterson. Although it is a novel, and not non-fiction, it truly shows why both sides of the Palestinian/Isreali conflict feel they are right and the other is wrong, and why in my opinion, there will never be peace between these two parties.

I am also reading "Audacity of Hope" by Barak Obama. I know I know, but I feel it is my duty as a citizen to learn what I can about all that are running for POTUS. He certainly sounds good in the book, but based on some of his recent statement I know that he will never win my vote.

On Deck: W.E.B Griffin's newest novel

Gypsy
07-06-2007, 17:21
I am just starting this, and wondered what you thought. I am getting the same feeling reading this as I did when I read "Blackhawk Down", which is thank God there are men like this in the world, and I hope my sons grow up to be like that.

I can understand that feeling. The Lone Survivor is one of the most heartwrenching books I've read of late, especially because you know the outcome. Luttrell describes the battle they fought in excrutiating detail, (although I don't know if some things were witheld for any OPSEC reasons...) and I found myself alternating between crying and even laughing in certain parts. (he does have a wry sense of humor about him in describing some situations...) I'd highly recommend the book.

JCasp
07-08-2007, 23:04
Great posts!

I've managed to make up a new "to buy" list!

Other than Lone Survivor, which I picked up this morning, I haven't been keeping up with good reads for the past few years for various reasons. I didn't even know about Lone Survivor until earlier today when I was skimmed another SF-run forum and seen a thread on it. After spending about two hours reading my FM 7-8 last night I decided it was time to head on over to Barnes and Noble.

I didn't see it mentioned, but another book I came across today that looked interesting was "Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army." I won't state my opinion on PMCs as I am not looking for an argument, which is where this subject generally goes, but just whether or not the book is a solid page-turner.

The Reaper
07-09-2007, 07:54
I didn't even know about Lone Survivor until earlier today when I was skimmed another SF-run forum and seen a thread on it.

What board is that, if you don't mind me asking?

TR

rubberneck
07-09-2007, 08:08
What board is that, if you don't mind me asking?

TR

There is a pretty long thread on the book over at SOCNET. I know it isn't SF run, but I suppose it is close enough that someone who doesn't appreciate the difference might make the mistake of thinking it is.

JCasp
07-09-2007, 09:27
There is a pretty long thread on the book over at SOCNET. I know it isn't SF run, but I suppose it is close enough that someone who doesn't appreciate the difference might make the mistake of thinking it is.

I do read Socnet, but I think I found out about it on Shadowspear.com. It's a more laid-back area and many of their SOF admins are actually 75th vets rather than from group. However there's a handful of SF around as well. It's a bit more loosely run than this website but still has some good discussions on weapons, gear, new books, things of that nature.

The Reaper
07-09-2007, 09:43
I do read Socnet, but I think I found out about it on Shadowspear.com. It's a more laid-back area and many of their SOF admins are actually 75th vets rather than from group. However there's a handful of SF around as well. It's a bit more loosely run than this website but still has some good discussions on weapons, gear, new books, things of that nature.

Thanks, I recognize a couple of the names there.

Regardless, I would not call it "SF-run" and you need to remember that there is a vast difference between SF and SOF.

If it is controlled by the Rangers, it is SOF-run, not SF-run.

TR

JCasp
07-09-2007, 11:00
Wilco, sorry for the misrepresentation.

The Reaper
07-09-2007, 11:40
Wilco, sorry for the misrepresentation.

No worries, I though we might have a doppelganger out there that we were unaware of.

Thanks.

TR

Swamp
07-12-2007, 14:53
Just Finished: Robert's Ridge

Currently reading: Brother against Brother (Civil War)

STR8SHTR
07-15-2007, 15:10
Just finished The Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. It was a very interesting book. The only part of the book that was slow is when he is going through the pipeline. The story of his early preparation prior to the military was quite interesting. His account of his E&E was excellant. Overall very good read.

Go For Broke
07-15-2007, 21:55
Collection of material by Dean Nosorog, a graduate of NPS/SOLIC.

Appropriate title, but informative material on Counter Insurgency

Have been in possession of this book since December '06...and still chewing the sand to finish it :D

Gypsy
07-28-2007, 08:12
Proximity, by Stephen Phillips. (EODDVR over on SOCnet). It is a novel about the Navy's EOD community, the story based on actual events but with fictional characters. About half way into the book, good read!

GratefulCitizen
12-15-2008, 22:40
Just started America's Victories, Why the US wins wars and will win the war on terror by Larry Schweikart

Just finished it last week.
Good read.

SRGross
01-06-2009, 08:19
Finished
Gates of Fire, Steven Pressfield
Awesome book really enjoyed it, it is the battle of the 300 Spartans.

Started:
Not a Good Day to Die, Sean Naylor

On Killing, Lt Col Dave Grossman, started reading it, and have issues with some of the stuff and author, just my .02 cents.

crowley
08-02-2010, 02:18
Just finished "CHOSEN SOLDIER" by Dick Couch good read, and I started to read "Inside Delta Force" by Eric Haney. I didn't like his whole boastfulness. (not sure if its the right word I am looking for so excuse me if its not) I started to research him, after reading on forums and what not I literally threw the book in the trash. I have ran out of books to read so any suggestions would be great.

tylerbethea
10-10-2011, 15:08
Recently Finished: Horse Soldiers

In Process: Chosen Soldier

On Deck: Masters of Chaos

Have read all of these several times, but it's been a couple years ago and at the time I wasn't looking to go SF, just interested. HIGHLY reccomend Chosen Soldier.....throws alot of detail out there.

TB