PDA

View Full Version : Rope Climb in NYC

fsamimi
04-10-2006, 14:15
Does anyone know a place in Manhattan or nearby where you can practice rope climbing? I've called all the local rock climbing gyms and they don't have any - not sure where else to look.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
04-10-2006, 14:25
I'm not really sure what you are trying to accomplish. Why can't you just purchase a rope, or if they are not the right diameter several and bundle them, and suspended them in any one of the thousands of stairwells that exist in NYC. There have to be ropes in virtually every highschool and college gym, have you tried them? If you just want to build up your ability to climb a rope go out to any of the local playground and do the hand over hand bit on the veritical of slightly vertical 2" galvanized pipes that support the apparatus. Or am I missing something here?

FILO
04-10-2006, 14:28
If you are truly interested in rock climbing, travel an hour and twenty minutes north up the Thruway to New Palz. The town is at the base of the Shawangunk Mountains. Most serious climbers consider the "gunks" to be some of the best climbing in the northeast. However, as a result it's crowded during the weekends.

Here's a link:

http://www.mohonkpreserve.org/index.php?climb

Razor
04-10-2006, 14:34
FILO, rope climbing <> rock climbing.

FILO
04-10-2006, 14:38
FILO, rope climbing <> rock climbing.

I agree.

rab97
04-10-2006, 17:57
Search the crossfit.com site for a local gym. Rope climbs are used periodically in their workouts.

Sten
04-10-2006, 18:16
Google, life's search button.

Results 1 - 10 of about 474,000 for rope climbing gyms in Manhattan. (0.08 seconds)

To name a few.

http://www.indoorclimbing.com/newyork.html

http://www.climbnyc.com/home/gymlist_nyc.html

http://www.extravertical.com/centers_nyc.html

aricbcool
04-10-2006, 18:20
What about the towel trick?

I'm not sure where I read this, but it might work as a last resort.

Take a bath towel, throw it over a pullup bar, grab each end of the towel and then do pull-ups, alternating your hand positions so that you have a hand-over-hand effect.

--Aric

Warrior-Mentor
04-10-2006, 18:36
What about the towel trick?

I'm not sure where I read this, but it might work as a last resort.

Take a bath towel, throw it over a pullup bar, grab each end of the towel and then do pull-ups, alternating your hand positions so that you have a hand-over-hand effect.

--Aric

Congrats on your promotion to G-Chief!

aricbcool
04-10-2006, 20:12
Thanks WM. :)

12B4S
04-11-2006, 02:13
OK. Have to type fast, which isn't one of my strong points. ;)

Anyway, I have known some folks down here that own and operate an indoor rock climbing facility....... called AZ on the Rocks. A couple weeks ago one of them asked if I had ever climbed in there. Told them no. Also told them I had climbed while in the Army and didn't have all that manufactured hand and foot hold stuff. Told them I had only done it in a Swiss Seat and that harness deal they were all wearing didn't exist then. :) The great thing about this place is that there are children learning this in there for birthday parties and such. What a fantastic confidence builder for kids that are 6 or 7 and up.

fsamimi
04-12-2006, 00:24
First off, thanks for all the responses!

JM, I've climbed the pipes on playgrounds and similar places but I feel practicing on a real rope would be the best way to prepare (going off page A-4 of the Get Selected book). Stairwells won't work unless there's an open central shaft with a hook in the ceiling. But your message made me think of another option: I could find a tall tree in a quiet corner of Central Park and tie a rope to a strong branch.

Sten, I ran similar Google searches but a lot of them are mishits for "top rope climbing" which is just a rock climbing technique. Most of the hits were also for rock climbing gyms - I called all the major ones I saw but no one I reached knew of a place with a normal rope to climb.

rab97, I'll call CrossfitNYC first thing tomorrow morning - thanks for the tip. I'll post the results here. If they don't know of a place nearby, then I'll probably have to use the tree option.

Thanks all.

Peregrino
04-12-2006, 08:10
First off, thanks for all the responses!

***** then I'll probably have to use the tree option.

Thanks all.

Just be careful doing the tree thing in Central Park. In NYC you're likely to have one "good Samaritan" trying to save you from a suicide attempt and another offering to help tie the knots. (Not to mention an "econut" wanting to prosecute for "abusing the tree's self image". :p Peregrino

fsamimi
04-12-2006, 08:39
Search the crossfit.com site for a local gym. Rope climbs are used periodically in their workouts.

rab97, the crossfit lead worked, thanks! In case anyone's interested, the NYC crossfit team works out at a gym called Five Points Fitness. For a $25 one-day pass you can use a hanging rope they have. It's not that high, but you can always climb down and start over. I also emailed the crossfit team to see if there are any other places around the city with ropes - I'll post an update if they respond.

booker
04-12-2006, 09:28
Col. Moroney had the best idea- go climb that galvanized pipe (it's free)! Or, if that seems to outlandish, go to mcmaster-carr's website and order some rope. It's cheap and you can get a thicker size.

Croooz
04-12-2006, 11:38
$25 one-day pass you can use a hanging rope they have.
:eek: Is that $25 for one single day? Use your money wisely.

One option is to buy a rope at Home Depot and braid it to whatever thickness. On the crossfit site they have instructions on how to make your own for less than $50.

Knot & rope has a 2" manila rope for $3.45 a foot. You can add an eye splice and end whipping for an extra $22. This combo in a 30 foot rope is ~$150 with shipping. You can use the rope wherever there isn't a tree hugging activist.

Check with DRMO's. Ask if they have any fast ropes available.