PDA

View Full Version : Try Outs

Five-O
04-07-2006, 12:26
This weekend is the big one.....Tryouts. Yum Yum. I hope the hill at Glen Arm has been leveled off.

18Ddave
04-07-2006, 13:17
A 220 in Chicago is having one in May. Below are the details.

For the extraordinary individual who wants more than just a job, but a unique career, a way of life that will challenge the deepest resources of your intelligence, and responsibility. It demands a superior physical and intellectual ability, adventurous spirit, toughness of mind, high degree of personal integrity, courage, and love of country. You will need to deal with fast-moving, ambiguous, and unstructured situations that will test your resourcefulness to the utmost.
We are looking for responsible soldiers that show initiative, have sound judgment, and the ability to work independently as well as a part of a team. Special Forces soldiers are deployed worldwide conducting real world missions such as Unconventional Warfare, Foreign Internal Defense, and Humanitarian Assistance. Our unit travels extensively OCONUS on missions received from Special Operations Command. If you feel that this is for you, carefully read the following information:

REPORT TIME AND PLACE

WHAT- UNIFORM- WHEN- WHERE
Special Forces Unit Tryouts, PT Uniform, watch, pencil, paper, 0800 Hours 6-7May 06, SEA Huts, Marseilles Training Area, IL

The MINIMUM requirements needed to participate in the Company A, 2nd Battalion, 20th Special Forces Group (Airborne) tryouts are as follows:

INDIVIDUAL REQUIREMENTS
Male
Enlisted: E-2 through E-7
Officer: O-2 through O-3
High School Graduate or GED
Enlisted: PLDC Graduate (may be waived)
Officers: OBC (OAC preffered)
ASVAB scores of GT: 110 ST: 100
Meet Army height/weight standards
APFT Score (18-19) 260 (or better)

MUST BRING TO IN-PROCESS
1. Current Military ID Card
2. I.D. Tags ( Medical Alert Tags if required)
3. COPIES OF THE FOLLOWING (Do not bring originals)
a) Emergency Data Card- DD93
b) Personal Qualification Record (PQR)
c) Military Dental Records
d) DA Form 2-1
e) Military Medical Records
f) Copy of last Army physical
g) Blood Pressure: systolic; >90,<140 mmhg / Diastolic,>60,<90mmhg
h) PULHES minimum: 1 1 1 2 2 1
i) Letter from your Unit Commander: This letter gives permission
to attend the tryout and confirms your assigned units’ responsibility to allow you to perform the tryout on a paid (by your unit) or point’s only basis and an understanding that the soldier will be required to drill with A/2/20 SFG(A) if selected by A/2/20 SFG(A) to attend SFAS at Ft. Bragg N.C.

SELECTION PROCESS:
The selection process will consist of:
1. Your ability to intelligently interpret all issued information
2. APFT
3. Orienteering
4. Vertical Rope Climb
5. Endurance Events
6. Swim test- in BDU’s and boots
7. Test of Candidates knowledge of Small Unit Tactics and Land Navigation.
8. Obstacle Course, (Individual/Group)
9. Assessment of candidate’s ability to react and reason under stress and with limited direction.
10. ***Candidates selected during the Selection Weekend will be notified prior to their departure.
NOTE: Those candidates selected to drill with A/2/20 SFG(A) SFAS training team will be required to schedule, take, and pass a Special Forces Physical, at the Chicago MEPS.
11.***Candidates reporting without ALL required equipment [i.e. compass, rucksack, etc] will not be allowed to continue training and will be returned to their units. Exceptions will only be made with prior approval of the training team NCOIC for the specified missing items.

INDIVIDUAL PACKING LIST
1. ONLY 2 BAGS ARE ALLOWED
2. AS A MINIMUM YOU MUST REPORT WITH THE FOLLOWING:

A. CLOTHING:
1. BDU Cap
2. GLOVES W/INSERTS
3. DUFFLE BAG W/LOCK
4. TOILET ARTICLES
5. FIELD JACKET OR GORTEX JACKET
8. BROWN T-SHIRTS 3EA
9. CUSHION SOLE SOCKS 5PR.
10. BDUS-2 EA.
11. MILITARY ISSUED BOOTS-2 PR. JUNGLE, COMBAT, OR COLD WEATHER SUCH AS DANNER OR ROCKIES.
12. WRISTWATCH
13. PT UNIFORM (SEASONAL/SUBSTITUTE WITH CIVILAIN CLOTHING)
14. ADDITIONAL CLOTHING; CASUAL CIVILIAN
16. PAD OF PAPER
17. 2 MECHANICAL PENCILS
18. 1 PEN

B. EQUIPMENT
1. RUCKSACK
2. COMPASS (SUBSTITUTE WITH SILVA/SUNTO MIRRORED VERSION)
3. SLEEPING BAG
4. 1 WATERPROOF BAG (SUBSTITUTE WITH TRASHBAG)
5. 2 x 1 QUART CANTEEN
6. PONCHO
7. PONCHO LINER
8. FIRST AID POUCH W/ PRESSURE DRESSING
9. FLASHLIGHT W/ BATTERIES (SUBSTITUTE WITH CIVILIAN VERSION I.E. HEADLAMP IS PERMITTED)

C. OPTIONAL CLOTHING/EQUIPMENT, AND OTHER CONSIDERATIONS:
1. COLD WEATHER CLOTHING (WATCHCAP, CIVILIAN GLOVES, POLYPRO TOP/BOTTOMS)
2. CAMELBACK (FOR DRINKING WHILE IN MOVEMENT)
3. SMALL STOVE FOR COOKING AND HEATING WATER ETC.
4. TELEPHONE CALLING CARD, OR CELL PHONE
5. COLD WEATHER SLEEPING BAG
6. ALARM CLOCK
7. COLD WEATHER GEAR
8. FOOT CARE ITEMS (MOLESKIN, FOOTPOWDER)
9. FOOD ITEMS
10. RANGER HANDBOOK

UPON SELECTION:
Candidates selected for SFAS at Ft. Bragg N.C. must be able to attend the course within a reasonable time. Upon Selection/Graduation of SFAS at Ft. Bragg N.C., the soldier will be transferred to A/2/20 SFG(A) and scheduled for the first available Special Forces Qualification Course (SFQC). If the soldier is not Airborne Qualified he will be scheduled for Jump school prior to SFQC. Special Forces MOS will be determined by the needs of this unit.

POINTS OF CONTACT:

POC Contact No. Email:
SFC Cardenas, Training NCO David.cardenas@us.army.mil
SFC Murphy, Jordan C., Recruiter (708) 824-5911 Jordan.murphy@us.army.mil
MSG Simon, Operations NCO Robert.simon@il.ngb.army.mil

Marsailles Range Control 815-795-5701

There are special considerations that MUST be addressed BEFORE you decide to begin a career in Special Forces, such as:
• Wife not in agreement with you in joining SF
• Financial problems at home
• Medical problems with yourself or family
• Not sure SF is what you want
• Low self-esteem or lack of motivation
• Not in top physical shape for SFAS
• Just to escape your present unit or duty assignment

Warrior-Mentor
04-09-2006, 22:30
This weekend is the big one.....Tryouts. Yum Yum. I hope the hill at Glen Arm has been leveled off.

So what's the damage report? How'd it go?
How'd everybody do?
JM

Five-O
04-10-2006, 07:22
Sir,
Saturday morning started with 26 soldiers and the APFT as the first event. Lots of max scores which I expected, lots of 270-280's which show room for improvement. What I did not expect, however; was that two quit after the PT test. We then did some other endurance events, SUT and team events. That is all we lost the entire weekend. Saturday's weather in MD was rainy and cold which I think increased the team work across the board giving soldiers an increased feeling of shared misery and comraderie. Last event was a 20k (with about 60lb) on a relatively flat/even surface.
We had a 19 year old PFC ,a 47 yr old SGT and everything in between. I am a former active NCO and I'll tell you what sir, the NG brings alot to the table as far as life experience, job skills and professional training that active duty just can't. We had a laywer/serveral engineers/law enforcemet/medical school student/truck driver and so on. Combining those skills brings a lot to the table when it comes to problem solving time. We had one guy drive 8 hrs from NC to try out.
Not everyone met the standard but they accepted everyone else (as far as I know) into the unit for training. They were looking for effort as well as performance and to a man everyone drove on and did not quit. If the guys performace was marginal but his effort was maxed out they took him. Now if he does not improve in May then bye-bye. Eventually the numbers will draw down but the core group of soldiers there will make it IF they want it. We will see what happens when the long hot days of summer creep in. One of my fellow candidates just got back from selection(not selected but invited back) and said the two days here were harder than any two days at selection BUT it was only two days not 24.
It was a challenging weekend that remininded us of how tough it's going to be. Very very doable but tough. For many of us it was the first time at the unit so we passed around an email list to coordinate training days and partner with guys who live close enough during long marches.
The cadre there were total Pro's. Stoic, informative, approachable. Set the example of what a QP should be. I am a little tight but training today and super motivated.
Sir, your book was all over the place down there. Most were talking boots, socks and SFAS packing list. I saw a PFC showing a SSG how to turn a sock inside out so the seem would not rub his toes to avoid a blister! I think it will a great success if not already.

F-O

The Reaper
04-10-2006, 08:16
What I did not expect, however; was that two quit after the PT test.
F-O

That will not be the last time you see that, the same thing will happen at CMK.

These are people who said that they wanted to be SF, but were unwilling to pay the price.

We see this here as well. People who have been so self-absorbed all of their lives, that they have absolutely no comprehension of what it takes and how to get it for themselves. They are used to saying they want it, and someone handing it to them.

This is real life, not the video game version. Get used to it.

TR

Jack Moroney (RIP)
04-10-2006, 14:18
Sir,
the NG brings alot to the table as far as life experience, job skills and professional training that active duty just can't.F-O

That is very true, to a degree, and I saw that when I was the advisor to the 12th SFG but this goes just so far as with those experiences, job skills, and professional training comes the baggage associated with them that may often not be totally compatible with what SF needs. Good example are LEO gun fight rules and training and CQB requirements. Professional job leadership is more focused on management vice military leadership skills. At the end of the day the NG folks all go back to their life's calling where as the life calling for the active duty guy is a total commitment to the force, team, mission, and all that this entails. Regardless of your intended degree of commitment no one can fully serve two masters. That total commitment is only possible when the very fiber that makes up the troop is totally compatible with the goals and requirements of the unit which exceed the MUTA, ADT, tour, etc. SF takes a 24/7 calling that will quickly over take that initial advantage of maturity, experiences, job skills, and professional training as it falls in line with the SF culture. Now don't get me wrong, this in no way is meant as criticism nor am I trying to start a gunfight between active duty and reserve components. This is simpily my observations over the time I spent dealing with this. The bottom line, however, will still be the individual, what he does, and how he does it and not where in the AD/NG food chain he stands. Personally I am proud of you all that have decided to take up the call be it active or NG.

Warrior-Mentor
04-10-2006, 14:28
Glad to hear things went pretty well and that I was, in some way, able to help.
Best of luck,
JM

Five-O
04-11-2006, 20:02
Col M.
Sir, please do not infer that I believe NG soldiers are better equipped to accomplish an SF mission. That was not the intent of the comment. It was merely to point out a positive aspect of many NG SF soldiers and candidates and that they may bring a certain skill set to the table that is beneficial. Sometimes I think the NG gets looked down upon by the active component and I like to take the opportunity to point out some of the positive aspects of the NG.... baggage and all. It is also worthy to mention that a substantial percentage of Tabbed guys in the NG are former active duty. I have no backround to make a qualitative judgement regarding active and NG SF soldiers, to the contrary; at this point in my attempt to earn the Tab it seems the QP's have forgoten more that I will ever know.

NousDefionsDoc
04-11-2006, 21:10
That is very true, to a degree, and I saw that when I was the advisor to the 12th SFG but this goes just so far as with those experiences, job skills, and professional training comes the baggage associated with them that may often not be totally compatible with what SF needs. Good example are LEO gun fight rules and training and CQB requirements. Professional job leadership is more focused on management vice military leadership skills. At the end of the day the NG folks all go back to their life's calling where as the life calling for the active duty guy is a total commitment to the force, team, mission, and all that this entails. Regardless of your intended degree of commitment no one can fully serve two masters. That total commitment is only possible when the very fiber that makes up the troop is totally compatible with the goals and requirements of the unit which exceed the MUTA, ADT, tour, etc. SF takes a 24/7 calling that will quickly over take that initial advantage of maturity, experiences, job skills, and professional training as it falls in line with the SF culture. Now don't get me wrong, this in no way is meant as criticism nor am I trying to start a gunfight between active duty and reserve components. This is simpily my observations over the time I spent dealing with this. The bottom line, however, will still be the individual, what he does, and how he does it and not where in the AD/NG food chain he stands. Personally I am proud of you all that have decided to take up the call be it active or NG.

Excellent post Sir. Living by the Rules of the Regiment on a daily basis is hard to beat.

Five-O,
I don't speak for everyone here obviously, but I certainly didn't read your post to say anything of the sort or anything untoward. I believe you made a valid observation, albeit based on limited experience. I thought it was a good post.

Having skills is a good thing. Just remember what the job is when reduced to its very essence.

Surgicalcric
04-11-2006, 21:14
...Just remember what the job is when reduced to its very essence.

Shooting bad guys in the face. :D

Crip

NousDefionsDoc
04-11-2006, 21:19
Shooting bad guys in the face. :D

Crip
You have learned well Pilgrim - HURRY UP!!!!!

Five-O
04-11-2006, 23:20
Copy that Nous. Just wanted to clear up any perceived ambiguity that my lack of written eloquence may cause.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
04-12-2006, 04:53
Five-O,
I don't speak for everyone here obviously, but I certainly didn't read your post to say anything of the sort or anything untoward. I believe you made a valid observation, albeit based on limited experience. I thought it was a good post.

Five-O, I agree with NDD and I certainly do not look down at anyone-especially considering my rather wound up thight frame:D

Guy
04-12-2006, 16:27
That is very true, to a degree, and I saw that when I was the advisor to the 12th SFG but this goes just so far as with those experiences, job skills, and professional training comes the baggage associated with them that may often not be totally compatible with what SF needs. Good example are LEO gun fight rules and training and CQB requirements. Professional job leadership is more focused on management vice military leadership skills. At the end of the day the NG folks all go back to their life's calling where as the life calling for the active duty guy is a total commitment to the force, team, mission, and all that this entails. Regardless of your intended degree of commitment no one can fully serve two masters. That total commitment is only possible when the very fiber that makes up the troop is totally compatible with the goals and requirements of the unit which exceed the MUTA, ADT, tour, etc. SF takes a 24/7 calling that will quickly over take that initial advantage of maturity, experiences, job skills, and professional training as it falls in line with the SF culture. Now don't get me wrong, this in no way is meant as criticism nor am I trying to start a gunfight between active duty and reserve components. This is simpily my observations over the time I spent dealing with this. The bottom line, however, will still be the individual, what he does, and how he does it and not where in the AD/NG food chain he stands. Personally I am proud of you all that have decided to take up the call be it active or NG.Sir...

Do you you mind if I pass this on? We are in a "long" fight...

Stay safe.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
04-12-2006, 19:27
Guy, not at all. Pass it to whomever you'd like.

Surgicalcric
04-15-2006, 18:41
You have learned well Pilgrim - HURRY UP!!!!!

I have had great mentors, Sarn't. :D

Believe me, I am hurrying.

Crip

Petelink
04-18-2006, 21:35
At the end of the day the NG folks all go back to their life's calling

My job called and said "I suck, stay active". Great post, by the way.