PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla Uprising

Air.177
03-19-2004, 19:13
Here in Dallas yesterday, a gorilla escaped from the Zoo and hurt 4 only to be shot by the Dallas PD swat folks. Lets hear some ideas on this type of counter-Gorilla operation!:D

Roguish Lawyer
03-21-2004, 15:56
You'd think they could have found an animal control-type with a tranquilizer dart or something. Fine to kill it if you have to, but it's a shame I think.

The Reaper
03-21-2004, 16:19
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
You'd think they could have found an animal control-type with a tranquilizer dart or something. Fine to kill it if you have to, but it's a shame I think.

Zoo should have had that stuff on hand. No response plan for an escaped dangerous animal, or failed to implement it? Guess it will all come out in the trial.

Not the cops' reponsibility to tranquilize exotic animals. Sounds like they got there before animal control.

G chewed up several people, including gnawing on a little kid's head, cops allegedly fired when the G charged them.

Wonder who the first cop will be to paint a small gorilla on the side of his cruiser?

TR

Roguish Lawyer
03-21-2004, 16:23
Originally posted by The Reaper
cops allegedly fired when the G charged them.

Of course. Cops only fire when necessary, right? :D

Air.177
03-21-2004, 16:41
From the local news, it sounded like the animal control folks were present, as well as the dallas PD SWAT guys. My impression is that animal control was looking for the animal, and that the police were there for containment if it got past the zoo authorities. I agree, it is a shame.

The Reaper
03-21-2004, 16:47
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
Of course. Cops only fire when necessary, right? :D

You looking for another argument?

TR

Roguish Lawyer
03-21-2004, 16:54
Originally posted by The Reaper
You looking for another argument?

TR

Nah. It's been done. http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=667

But I'm hoping for a reply from you on the Bill of Rights Rewrite. :)

QRQ 30
03-21-2004, 17:54
I thought they were vegetarians!!:D

Farmer40
03-21-2004, 18:24
They are vegetarians. He (the gorilla) didn't eat anybody, he just tasted a few folks.

News reports here in Dallas state that the tranquilizer guns were deployed. The area of the zoo where the animal was loose is heavily wooded resembling a central African environment. Visibility is extremely limited. There were still zoo visitors in the area. The gorilla apparently came out of the bushes where there were two police officers instead of the zoo marksmen. Then he inconsiderately charged those two. The proper protocol for dealing with a loose three hundred pound gorilla charging you in close quarters is to shoot it with whatever you have. Sound logical to me.

The designated emergency response team (zoo employees) does train with the Dallas PD on the emergency procedures for dangerous animals loose in the zoo. This includes range firing.

So this wasn't a wanton killing of a poor defenseless animal by cops out of control.
It was the unfortunate (for the gorilla especially) end of a planned response to an anticipated emergency. A well executed contingency plan.

Roguish Lawyer
03-21-2004, 18:34
Originally posted by Farmer40
They are vegetarians. He (the gorilla) didn't eat anybody, he just tasted a few folks.

News reports here in Dallas state that the tranquilizer guns were deployed. The area of the zoo where the animal was loose is heavily wooded resembling a central African environment. Visibility is extremely limited. There were still zoo visitors in the area. The gorilla apparently came out of the bushes where there were two police officers instead of the zoo marksmen. Then he inconsiderately charged those two. The proper protocol for dealing with a loose three hundred pound gorilla charging you in close quarters is to shoot it with whatever you have. Sound logical to me.

The designated emergency response team (zoo employees) does train with the Dallas PD on the emergency procedures for dangerous animals loose in the zoo. This includes range firing.

So this wasn't a wanton killing of a poor defenseless animal by cops out of control.
It was the unfortunate (for the gorilla especially) end of a planned response to an anticipated emergency. A well executed contingency plan.

Good to hear.

DunbarFC
03-22-2004, 11:04
This same thing happened in Boston about two months back with the gorilla being captured

Some folks who saw the gorilla running down the street didn't think it was odd - they honestly thought it was a kid with a big backpack :eek: