PDA

View Full Version : stupid questions from a newb

fcarter
04-05-2006, 00:22
I will soon be entering the Army (less than 30 days before I leave) and hope to make my way into the Rangers or another SF position so I have come here for any advice I can get from people who actually know what I will be going through on my way.

I have a fairly extensive Martial Arts background. I have trained in various styles for the past fifteen years, instructing for a little more than eight of those years, and retain 3 black belts (Tae Kwon Do, Kyusho-Jitsu, and Doro-Jitsu).

In your experiences as soldiers in the Special forces, what martial styles and martial theories can I expect to learn along the way? I realize that martial arts will most likely be only a small part of my learning experience in the Military, but would like to know what sorts of things I should be working on for the next month to better prepair myself for the journey ahead.

To better explain my reasons for asking, I'll say that after my time in the Military is up, I plan on returning to my hometown to continue instructing for the man who has taught me for the past decade and a half. Martial arts have been my passion since I was a small child, and instructing others is my ultimate goal. (In the meantime though, I would like to serve my country with the best men I can stand beside.)

504PIR
04-05-2006, 05:26
1. Concentrate on the 25m target...completing Basic & AIT while being doing the best you can do and being a good team player.

2. Be in the best physical shape you can be in. IE running, pushups & setups...thats what they grade you on the APFT.

3. Don't be afraid to take a constructive butt-chewing. Because you will get it. Being a Ranger,SF or whatever "Special Guy" you want to be isn't always about being the toughest guy on the block, its about being the a good soldier first. Also be the guy who gives 110% all the time, not just when cadre are watching.

4. Forget about all the martial arts for now. Its great stuff, but I would rather have a good FO who can call in death & destruction in a firefight than a Bruce Lee who can't hit the broadside of a barn with his issued weapon.

5 Put emphasize on #1 & 2.

Good luck with your goals.

booker
04-05-2006, 05:42
fcarter-

Use the search button, amazing things happen. If you are really quiet, you might be able to hear TS or TR coming for you....

Team Sergeant
04-05-2006, 07:15
In your experiences as soldiers in the Special forces, what martial styles and martial theories can I expect to learn along the way?

If you are lucky you will learn the “ultimate” in close quarters fighting techniques. The style we currently utilize is called the “gun fight”. It (has and) will defeat every form of martial arts known to man. (Except Chuck Norris, there is no known weapons system currently fielded that will defeat Mr. Norris)

I’m glad to see even you can recognize a “stupid question”. Don’t let anyone fool you, that liberal teacher you had in high school that said there’s no such thing as a stupid question, is wrong. Don’t post another.

You’ve been given sound advice, follow it. Read more post less and use the search button until your fingers bleed. Now move out and draw fire.

Team Sergeant

Kyobanim
04-05-2006, 17:12
(Except Chuck Norris, there is no known weapons system currently fielded that will defeat Mr. Norris)

I can't stop crying I'm laughing so hard. :D

A student asks 'how?', an Instructor asks 'why?'

Sten
04-05-2006, 17:42
If you are lucky you will learn the “ultimate” in close quarters fighting techniques. The style we currently utilize is called the “gun fight”. It (has and) will defeat every form of martial arts known to man. (Except Chuck Norris, there is no known weapons system currently fielded that will defeat Mr. Norris)

Team Sergeant

This is by far, the best quote of the year.

Daver
04-05-2006, 20:04
That's impressive 3 black belts. I guess considering I never took much martial arts...took lots of Marital arts but I always found that just being a really nasty SOB and fighting as fair as I needed to (AKA using bats, pieces of pipe, anything that has a muzzle velocity of at least 1000 feet per second) worked well for me. I won't knock the stuff you do because you're obviously devoted to it, but like team Sergeant says, worry about shooting straight...remember Indiana Jones and the dude with the big Fighting Sword...Indiana shot him and continued the mission!! Devote that energy to being a soldier and maybe someday you can stand with the best men.

fcarter
04-05-2006, 23:50
I understand the difference between having three black belts and being able to fight in combat. I also understand that a firearm will beat a punch virtually every time. My martial arts training has been to me what baseball is to others. It's just something I love doing and would love to continue while I'm in the military. I wasn't trying to ask what special techniques I'll learn on how to kill people. That's what "being a really nasty SOB" is for.

Croooz
04-06-2006, 05:57
It's just something I love doing and would love to continue while I'm in the military.
So then you're really asking how the military can further your hobby? Every base has McDojos or whatever around you will find plenty to continue with your hobby.

but would like to know what sorts of things I should be working on for the next month to better prepair myself for the journey ahead
I'm not SF but know that after searching the site the answer will appear. Think of it as trying to snatch the pebble from the sensei's hand....but sensei has already given you the pebble.....now......go find the pebble. :cool:

Chris
04-06-2006, 07:21
Think of it as trying to snatch the pebble from the sensei's hand....but sensei has already given you the pebble.....now......go find the pebble. :cool:

;)

TFM
04-06-2006, 09:22
This is by far, the best quote of the year.I concur!! Bravo:D LOL

I new a guy in OSUT who was impressive at displaying technique. He used to put on shows all the time. However, he was easily defeated with some agression and basic GFT. It looked pretty sad to see the guy embarrassed the way I did, but those are the lessons learned in real combat.

BTW FCarter

IMHO
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=116182#post116182

From an 11B perspective.

fcarter
04-06-2006, 10:13
I concur!! Bravo:D LOL

BTW FCarter

IMHO
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=116182#post116182

From an 11B perspective.

Thanks.

Warrior-Mentor
04-09-2006, 22:58
I can't stop crying I'm laughing so hard. :D

A student asks 'how?', an Instructor asks 'why?'

K-
A related quote I heard...wish I could remeber where...

"The man who knows HOW will always have a job.

The man who knows WHY will always be his boss."