PDA

View Full Version : Special Forces Soldiers earn MacArthur Leadership Award

Dan
04-04-2006, 14:52
RELEASE NUMBER: 060404-01
DATE POSTED: APRIL 4, 2006

Special Forces Soldiers earn MacArthur Leadership Award
U.S. Army Special Operations Command Public Affairs Office

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (USASOC News Service, Apr. 4, 2006) - Of all the warrant officers and officers on active duty in the Army, only thirteen are chosen to receive the annual General Douglas MacArthur Leadership Award for dedication to duty, honor and country each year.

Warrant Officer Jason W. Latteri, the commander of Operational Detachment - Alpha 533, Company C, 1st Battalion, 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne), was selected as the only active duty warrant officer candidate to receive the prestigious award this year.

Capt. Robert C. Eldridge, Commander, Headquarters and Support Company, 1st Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne), was selected as one of the officer candidates to receive the award.

Each year, a total of 27 company grade officers are chosen to receive the award. Six commissioned officers and one warrant officer are selected from the National Guard and Army Reserve respectively and 12 commissioned officers and one warrant officer are selected from the active Army.

Latteri began his Army career at Fort Campbell in 1991 when he joined Co. B, 2nd Bn., 327th Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), where he served as a machine gunner and rifle team leader. His next assignment was with Co. C, 1st Bn., 506th Infantry Regiment, Camp Greeves, Korea, before returning to the 327th and serving as a rifle team leader, rifle squad leader, weapons squad leader and rifle platoon sergeant.

Latteri attended Special Forces Assessment and Selection in 1997, followed by on-the-job-training on ODA 521, 5th SFG (A). He graduated from the Special Forces Weapons Sergeant Qualification Course in early 1998, and was reassigned to ODA 526 as the senior weapons sergeant.

"I went Special Forces because I wanted a challenge. I am always looking to better myself - or better challenge myself," he said.

While serving as a weapons sergeant, Latteri deployed in support of Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. Upon his return from OIF, he attended the Warrant Officer Course and was reassigned to ODA 533 and again deployed to support OIF.

During his time on ODA 533, Latteri distinguished himself as a leader deserving of the MacArthur award. "It's a pretty big deal for a junior officer to receive an award like this," said Latteri. "It's a humbling experience."

Latteri was chosen as a recipient for his commitment to duty, honor and country, but he insists that those are any good Soldier's ideals - certainly the goals of the men he serves with on an ODA.

As a junior officer he feels that the best place for him to make a difference is in a small unit such as an ODA. "I became a warrant officer so I could spend more time on an ODA," said Latteri. "To me, the most difference you can make is at the small unit level. Some people think that higher you move up, the more difference you can make, but I say it's right here on a team of twelve."

Eldridge enlisted in Dec. 1986 into the 11th Special Forces Group (Airborne), a reserve group, as a Special Forces Medic. He spent nearly 11 years as an enlisted serviceman, during that time acquiring his bachelor's degree from Virginia Tech.

"I looked into all aspects of the Army when I was deciding to join. I wanted to be a veterinarian or work in some area of the medical career field and I knew that Special Forces had some of the best training," Eldridge said. "That suited my tastes, and what I desired to do."

Eldridge decided to enlist into the active Army and apply for Officer Candidate School. He was commissioned in 1997.

"I always intended on becoming an officer, but I put it off because I enjoyed what I was doing," Eldridge explained. "I enjoyed being enlisted, but I saw a greater opportunity to implement change and mentor people as an officer. Officer and enlisted are two totally different mindsets, one isn’t harder than the other, they’re just different."

He served with the 1st Bn., 187th Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, Ky., as a platoon leader before he decided to rejoin the ranks of the Special Forces Soldiers.

Eldridge was assigned directly to ODA 734, a Military Freefall Team. During his two years as the team leader, Eldridge participated in an unconventional warfare rotation at the Joint Readiness Training Center in Fort Polk, La., a deployment to Colombia and a deployment to Afghanistan.

While in Afghanistan, Eldridge's team was caught in an ambush initiated when his vehicle ran over an anti-tank mine. His team prevailed, but the injuries he sustained from the mine blast caused him to lose his left leg below the knee. With strength, perseverance and several months of physical therapy, he is now back in the saddle.

When reflecting on the award he said, "I'm honored to have been nominated and even considered for it (the award), and to have actually won is just outstanding, especially when you consider the peers within the Army that I have to compete against."

Though Eldridge doesn't like to plan too far ahead, he would like his next step to be as the Assistant Operations officer at 7th Special Forces Group.

"I would like to take the experience I gained when I was in country (Afghanistan) and help other Soldiers as I continue in the fight," Eldridge said.

-usasoc-

Warrior-Mentor
04-04-2006, 14:59
Hats off to both for a job well done.
JM