PDA

View Full Version : SF History

QRQ 30
03-19-2004, 10:25
Folks: The post about Dick Meadows brings something to mind -- the true "Quiet Professionals". In Post-War Germany an act was put into effect, (I believe the Dulles Act) which allowed displaced persone (DPs) to enlist in the U.S. military in Europe and eventually receive their U.S. Citizenship. Many took advantage of this program, a version of the Foreign Legion. The Polish Brigade performed all of the duties in Germany that the Post Engineers do here. IIRC they also puled much of the Post Security.

Several, perhaps 100+, ended up in the 10th SFGA in Bad Toelz. Most of them represented a story of undergroujnd contacts, escape across the Iron Curtain and much more. Many changed their names since they had rewards on their heads. They were true professionals and many died in Vietnam before ever having a chance to live a life of freedom in the States. One I remember, Rosniuk, not only escaped across the Iron Curtain, but took a leave and walked back to the Ukrain to visit his mother and then returned. There was a former East German Soldier in my company who had literally shot his way across the border to freedom.

For years their stories couldn't be told. Perhaps now, with the fall of the Soviet Union they can. This would be a worthy project for any budding authors out there.

There is a lot of history out there which will be lost if people don't write it down. Though hardly a hero, that is the purpose of my Web Site. Some of the FOGS, VFOGS and VVFOGS need to stop being so modest and start recording their personal histories.

On another vein, we FOGS tend to think we were first. Not true!! We have predecessors all of the way back to the Revolutionary War. From what I have heard, today's SF soldiers are every bit as dedicated and professional as were the RVN era soldiers. They are now authorized to sit at a table and tell their stories and I would gladly sit with them and keep the drinks coming.

NousDefionsDoc
03-19-2004, 10:38
If I'm not mistaken, that was the Lodge Act.

QRQ 30
03-19-2004, 10:53
Thanks NDD.

Kyobanim
03-19-2004, 12:01
Originally posted by QRQ 30

For years their stories couldn't be told. Perhaps now, with the fall of the Soviet Union they can. This would be a worthy project for any budding authors out there.

There is a lot of history out there which will be lost if people don't write it down. Though hardly a hero, that is the purpose of my Web Site. Some of the FOGS, VFOGS and VVFOGS need to stop being so modest and start recording their personal histories.

On another vein, we FOGS tend to think we were first. Not true!! We have predecessors all of the way back to the Revolutionary War. From what I have heard, today's SF soldiers are every bit as dedicated and professional as were the RVN era soldiers. They are now authorized to sit at a table and tell their stories and I would gladly sit with them and keep the drinks coming.

Too true.

I'd be more than happy to provide web space for blogging this project. I've always wanted to document the stories of the QPs but didn't have the resources to devote full time to the project or even know where to begin. I think I feel a project coming on.

Roguish Lawyer
03-19-2004, 12:46
Why not do it here?

DunbarFC
03-19-2004, 13:01
I'd be williing to help in any way needed

I surf the web for 90% of my day so I have the "free" time

Team Sergeant
03-19-2004, 14:04
The Quiet Professionals here can and will support this in any way possible. Web pages are not an issue. And it seems we have some very smart people offering their talent. QRQ you ready to be the Team Leader again?

QRQ 30
03-19-2004, 15:49
There is an awful lot involved. For the most part, the only ones who know the stories are the individuals themselves. I guess the first step would be to seek out sources like SFA and the 10rth SF G Association. Then we have to convince the individuals to tell their stories. Not only modesty but residual fear may come into play. I remember once whe Paul Etman was called by his original name by someone who recognized him from a previous life. Paul turned as white as a sheet. Once the stories are compiled we will have to get permission from the individual to use his story This could be a real ambitious venture and may be better left to someone with journalism/history/publishing know how. I would certainly be willing to help

Razor
03-19-2004, 16:20
If I make the next SFA chapter meeting here, I'll talk to some of the guys and see if they'd be willing to tell their stories. We had a couple OM's at one time (I believe one has passed away, though :().

Kyobanim
03-19-2004, 17:10
I will do whatever I can to assist. Someone give me a target.

Solid
03-19-2004, 18:19
I have too little work right now, so if anyone needs any help I'm good to go when it comes to research assignments.

Solid

PS: Apparently, I can write-up stories or type-edit, too.

pulque
03-19-2004, 19:13
I'm available for any tasks help needed. Can research, transcribe, edit.

Kyobanim
03-19-2004, 19:44
Looks like all we need is a boss.

lrd
03-20-2004, 05:47
Originally posted by pulque
I'm available for any tasks help needed. Can research, transcribe, edit. Ditto. I've worked on oral history projects and would love to help here.

QRQ 30
03-20-2004, 10:10
Good Morning Folks. My intention in bringing up this thread was to perhaps goad a historian/author into producing a book. That was dreaming though I think someone like Robin Moore could find satisfactory material.

Perhaps a Web Site makes more sense. There would be a minimum of expense and more would perhaps "surf in" and see it and even then contribute.

This is a subject dear to my heart. I get sick and tired of hearing natural born (ain't ever done a thing to earn it) citizens talk of naturalized citizens as second class. Perhaps the premiss in the book/movie "Starship Troopers" will eventually come into play -- you must serve in order to earn your citizenship.. I love to ask who had the opportunity to choose his parents and place of birth. Only one I can think of.

From what I see, there is tremendous talent on this site for producing Web Sites, such as the B-52 site. What I propose is that I and a few try to collect points of contact and turn them over to volunteer "reporters" . They can then turn their material back to the editors who can edit and publish.

IMHO there is some history out there which will go to the grave if we can't goad people into telling their stories.

BTW: I just remembered the name of the Sgt I mentioned in the original post -- Roesch.

CommoGeek
03-20-2004, 11:48
I don't know if you'll have any use for me, but let me know if I can help: typing transcripts, maintaining a database of contacts, whatever.

Edit: This has the potential to be a very large project and whatever direction it goes in is fine by me. As a support geek, I would be remiss if I didn't make a pitch for the B-Team and C-Team guys that provided back end support. We don't have a job without the SF soldiers. Period. However, a lot of work goes into getting a team into the field, so if there is room for that in this project it would be nice to include something about the support guys. Start to finish, it takes a lot of teamwork and sacrifice to get a non-SF qualified soldier qualified, trained, equipped, and deployed.

BTAR

Roguish Lawyer
03-20-2004, 13:06
If you guys want to try to put something together and get it published, I can see about having one of our entertainment lawyers put a group together and do the deal for free. No promises, but one of them is the son of an SOG guy and probably could be persuaded.

Kyobanim
03-20-2004, 13:53
I think we're in the process of organizing this project. Contacts are going out to see if the QPs are willing to tell the stories. Obviously it stops if we don't have the content. PMs going out today.

Solid
03-20-2004, 13:59
I'm confident that if we can secure content, there are enough intelligent, devoted people here to ensure that something is put together. We should, however, have a team leader or at least an agreed-upon mission statement so that we all work towards the same objective. It might make sense, however, to first get the content together.

All in all, I think putting together a website would make the most sense. The content from there could then be turned into something else, like a book.

Just my .02, this entire idea is exciting,

Solid

Kyobanim
03-20-2004, 14:15
PMs out

QRQ 30
03-20-2004, 14:33
WOW!! My intention in posting this thread in the 10th SFGA section was to document the history of an important core of the 10th SFGA -- the foerign nationals who entered SF in the fifties and sixties.

A history of Special Forces as a whole is also a worthy though very ambitious project. Drive on and I will continue to concentrate on and provide input on the DP's.:lifter

Gypsy
03-20-2004, 17:05
If I can be of help in any way, I'd be happy and honored to volunteer my services however and wherever needed.

QRQ 30
03-26-2004, 09:26
Are we making any progress?
Just curious!!

brownapple
03-26-2004, 10:03
We are rapidly losing people who hold important parts of SF history in their mind. I know of few of them here in Thailand, one of which is battling cancer. If their stories are to be retained, efforts have to be ongoing and rapid. I'll provide what assistance that I can, but I am busy running a business and raising a child, so I have limited time to actually record the stories. I will raise it in the SFA3 meeting to see if an effort can be made to sit down with these vets and start collecting their stories.

It will be tough. One, they are quiet professionals, and most have spent their lives not talking about themselves or what they did. Two, they are going to trust only other members of the community generally.

It can be done. It is a major project.

Kyobanim
03-26-2004, 11:19
@ QRQ30 - We're getting organized and starting to send out 'feelers'. The 'enormity' of the project sinks in when you try to organize, but it won't stop us.

@Greenhat - We appreciate any assistance that you can provide. I've noticed on the few contacts I've attempted that they are hesitant to speak. I've sent them the URL of this site in an effort to quell any fears they have about opening up, if that will do it.

This is something that has to be done. As big a project as it is, it's a worthy project. What I've seen in books doesn't touch on the personal side of SF history. The history of an organization is it's people. There's been a couple of generations through the Q. Their personal stories need to be preserved for future generations.

QRQ 30
03-26-2004, 13:23
From a message from the SFA Museum:
through it's displays and historical accountings that tells each of our stories and will do so long after we are gone.
Hopefully it will continue to tell generations in the future about what we ,over the years, have accomplished in our individual and combined efforts to rid the word of oppression.
One only needs to read the TAPS notices to realize that many of our individual word of mouth history is being lost each year.
Our individual and combined efforts can only be told through the Museum ..documentation and displays.

As you see some of our history is dying off. Perhaps what I envision will be impossible. As someone said these soldiers are used to being "Quiet Professionals" as well as having lived a large part of their lives "Undercover", so to speak.

What I envision is a collection of 1st Person accounts or at the least accounts from relatives or eye witnesses. The world is full of stories, let's present facts -- many more amazing than the stories.

I respect the privacy of the SF List just as I will respect the privacy of PS.com. As a result I will not present -mail addressesor URLs without first getting permission. This weekend I will darft a letter to the SFA, the Bad Toelz Chapter of the SFA, and several others who may know these individuals

Kyobanim
03-26-2004, 13:39
Originally posted by QRQ 30
From a message from the SFA Museum:

As you see some of our history is dying off. Perhaps what I envision will be impossible. As someone said these soldiers are used to being "Quiet Professionals" as well as having lived a large part of their lives "Undercover", so to speak.

What I envision is a collection of 1st Person accounts or at the least accounts from relatives or eye witnesses. The world is full of stories, let's present facts -- many more amazing than the stories.

I respect the privacy of the SF List just as I will respect the privacy of PS.com. As a result I will not present -mail addressesor URLs without first getting permission. This weekend I will darft a letter to the SFA, the Bad Toelz Chapter of the SFA, and several others who may know these individuals

Sir, we will do our best to document and preserve the Quiet Professional history and present it in an honorable manner. On THAT, you have my word.

brownapple
03-26-2004, 23:11
Kyobanim (or anyone else)

Do you have an oral history format? I'm thinking that we can put together packets which can be made available at the SFA for anyone who wishes to go out and collect the accounts, and then assemble/transcribe the information.

Roycroft201
03-27-2004, 03:17
I'd be happy to help in any way - editing, transcribing, etc.

lrd
03-27-2004, 04:33
Originally posted by Greenhat
Kyobanim (or anyone else)

Do you have an oral history format? I'm thinking that we can put together packets which can be made available at the SFA for anyone who wishes to go out and collect the accounts, and then assemble/transcribe the information. GH,

I spoke with the HSMC Museum Folklorist-in-residence yesterday and he recommended using the Library of Congress's Veterans History Project (http://www.loc.gov/folklife/vets/kit.html) as a guide.

Lisa

Edit: an excerpted version can be found at http://www.pbs.org/now/society/veterans.html#preparing

brownapple
03-27-2004, 09:53
Thanks, grabbed the complete forms set.

brownapple
04-20-2004, 23:26
I brought this up at the SFA III meeting yesterday, and efforts will be made to collect some accounts and get them to the SFA museum.

specwarnet
05-03-2004, 14:22
Drop me a PM if you need the help of a writer and space for the stuff.

lrd
07-23-2004, 12:09
Just curious if anyone has collected any stories.

pulque
07-23-2004, 13:38
Originally posted by lrd
Just curious if anyone has collected any stories.

I have not heard back from those contacted, thanks for the reminder to follow up again.

SP5IC
07-23-2004, 17:31
I may be in the wrong lane, but if this is about publishing SF stories, the SF-List just did. Go to Teamhouse, Commobook, and check it out. I think the powers-that-be ordered 1500 copies. The price, $10.00 + $3.00 shipping that included a $3.00 gift to the STMF. Since I was in IV Corps the whole time, I would not know a 'Yard from a Cambode. Buy the book.

The SP5IC sends....

BTW, we have a bunch for sale. Contact me at oda424@hotmail.com, I sell 'em by the box.

Mark Atchison

QRQ 30
07-23-2004, 19:05
Wrong lane Mark. I had suggested a History of SF concentrating on the old Lodge Act soldiers who were the heart of the original 10th.