PDA

View Full Version : Anybody from NC, MD, or WV?

amatlis
03-29-2006, 12:27
Are there any SF Guard guys from the NC, MD, or WV units that would be willing to answer a few questions from a civlian hoping to join? I already spoke to both recruiters, and I'm getting ready to sign up, but I'd like a chance to speak with some non-recruiters if possible. I had a couple contacts before, but they were deployed before I got a chance to speak with them.

Thanks!
Anthony

amatlis
03-29-2006, 14:22
I'll post a couple questions I asked the recruiter, in case anyone feels generous enough to answer them. Not that I don't trust a recruiter, but as my idol Ronny Reagan used to say, 'trust but verify':

1. NG -> AD: How realistic is it to go from NG to AD if I want to make SF a career, during the pipeline or after? If I finish the pipeline and have no interest in going back to my civilian job, can I go active then? Or do I have to spend a year with NG first? I've been told anything is possible, but is it realistic? I have a feeling I might want to scrap my civilian life if I'm a good fit in the army. I've invested a lot of education and time into my career which is why I'm not certain yet, but I don't think I can stand a desk job any longer. Once I sign into the Guard, how committed am I to the Guard? Who decides whether I get to switch during the pipeline?

2. Deployment: Which of the above units might offer more opportunities for deployment, training, and real missions?

3. NG vs AD: Are Guard units side-lined on real missions? After reading 'Hunting Al Qaeda' about a Guard unit in A-stan that was repeatedly side-lined, I can't imagine anything more frustrating than spending years of your life training for a job and then not being allowed to do it.

4. Green to Gold: If I make army my career and join SF now, will I be too old to become an officer somewhere down the line (I'm 31)? At my age, is it one or the other? If I'm going to spend the rest of my life in the army, I thought I might be interested in an officer career later, even if it does involve some desk-sitting. Recruiters make it seem like anything is possible, but I'm naturally a skeptical person.

Thanks in advance for your help. These are the questions I need to answer so I can make my decision. I've done some searching on the forum, but I haven't found satisfactory answers.

Thanks,
Anthony

The Reaper
03-29-2006, 14:29
Question 1 has been discussed here several times and can be found by searching.

For question 2, what above units are you referring to? If it is AD vs. NG, again, it has been beaten to death here, some threads made it into the TS's Office, IIRC.

Question 3 has been brought up as a point of contention, I think anyone looking at the casualty lists and deployments will see the answer to that pretty quickly. Clearly, if you want to be a full-time soldier, AD is the way to go. If you have or want to have a civilian career, you would opt for the NG. That was not rocket science.

The SF officer routine has been answered here repeatedly. Look it up.

Yoiu sure do seem to be planning pretty far down the road for a guy who hasn't made it to Basic yet, much less selection.:rolleyes:

TR

amatlis
03-29-2006, 14:56
Sir, I'm only asking because of my age. I just don't want to close any doors.

On question 1, I did not see an answer as to weather you can change during the pipeline or have to wait. I will search again if it has been already answered. My apologies.

On question 2, I am referring to the the MD, NC, and WV Guard units.

On question 3, thank you for your answer.

On question 4, I am only asking because of my age. I'm 31 now, and I just wanted to know if the door will be closed after a certain age. On a google search, I found the maximum age to be commissioned as an officer (active duty) is 35. However, it seems prior service counts, so hopefully if I join enlisted now, I would still be eligible even past 35 with a waiver.

Anthony

jatx
03-29-2006, 15:35
Check your PMs.

Petelink
04-08-2006, 22:22
3. NG vs AD: Are Guard units side-lined on real missions? After reading 'Hunting Al Qaeda' about a Guard unit in A-stan that was repeatedly side-lined, I can't imagine anything more frustrating than spending years of your life training for a job and then not being allowed to do it.

I was concerned about this too and after talking with a lot of guys from my unit before this deployment, it seemed like luck of the draw. One of the teams from B CO made national news and was featured in Soldier of Fortune for a mission they were on in 2003, we still get people over here who ask us if we're that "famous" team. Other teams did next to nothing. One of the uncertainties with the Guard is that often you will not stay as a part of your Guard chain of command, but will be attached to one of the active duty units. This can mean table scraps, or it can mean great things. We went from being deflagged as a team back in Mississippi to having what I think is one of the best missions in country right now. Other teams are still split up and riding desks, others are at fire bases doing very little, others are in the hottest places in the war. Like a lot of things in life you can only plan for and control so much. I know I'm living the dream, doing things I was told Guard units just didn't do. The other great thing so far is how well we've been treated by the active duty teams we've been working with. It all comes down to results, if you are squared away and produce results for people they will take you seriously and treat you accordingly.