PDA

View Full Version : Lyn Nofziger

Roguish Lawyer
03-28-2006, 12:48
Please feel free to move this elsewhere if it doesn't belong here, but I worked for Lyn a long time ago and I am mourning his loss. He was not SF, but he was a great American and he lost a finger at Omaha Beach.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/03/27/nofziger.obit.ap/index.html

Reagan spokesman, Lyn Nofziger, dies

Monday, March 27, 2006; Posted: 9:53 p.m. EST (02:53 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Franklyn "Lyn" Nofziger, the rumpled and irreverent conservative who served President Reagan as press secretary and political adviser, died of cancer Monday at his home in Falls Church, Virginia. He was 81.

Nofziger, who joined Reagan's ranks early in the political career of the actor-turned-politician, headed the White House political office during the first year of the Reagan presidency and then quit to form a political consulting and lobbying firm.

Former first lady Nancy Reagan said in a statement Monday: "I was deeply saddened this afternoon when I heard of Lyn Nofziger's death. Lyn was with us from the gubernatorial campaign in 1965 through the early White House days, and Ronnie valued his advice -- and good humor -- as much as anyone's. I spoke with him just days ago and even though he knew the end was near, Lyn was hopeful and still in good spirits."

Michael Deaver, Reagan's deputy chief of staff, said, "He was a great big garrulous guy who was very serious about his politics and very serious about Ronald Reagan. He was sort of the keeper of the flame."

"He was fun to be around," Deaver said. "Reagan would light up when he came into the room."

Conservative columnist George F. Will once described the nonconformist, cigar-chomping Nofziger, as "Sancho Panza" to Reagan's Don Quixote.

Asked why he was leaving the White House, Nofziger replied, "I don't like government, it's just that simple." He denied as "99 percent untrue" a report he'd quit because of his exclusion from the president's innermost circle.

His determined irreverence extended to the Reagans.

"I'm not a social friend of the Reagans," he told an interviewer. "That's by their choice and by mine. They don't drink enough."

Bombay gin, outrageous puns and fierce loyalty to Reagan and conservative Republican principles were Nofziger hallmarks. His caustic wit made him a favorite among some reporters who covered Reagan as governor and president and on his various campaigns. One of his trademarks was a stock of Mickey Mouse neckties.

But the Nofziger wit and camaraderie did not disguise the fact that he was a bare-knuckled political partisan.

During his year in the Reagan White House, he saw one of his principal responsibilities as rooting Democrats out of the federal government and replacing them with Republican loyalists.

Earlier, he'd served on the Republican National Committee and as an aide to President Nixon. According to John Dean, Nofziger helped Nixon put together his infamous White House "enemies list."

As White House liaison, Nofziger had mixed success with militant conservatives who early in the Reagan administration began chafing at the number of moderate Republicans given key jobs.

"Every time we appoint someone they don't agree with to a job, they feel the victory trickling away," he said in an interview.

Nofziger, who had worked as a newspaper reporter and editor and then as Washington correspondent for James Copley's chain of California papers, teamed up with Reagan in 1966 when the former actor was running for governor of California. After that successful campaign, Nofziger spent 21 months in Sacramento as Reagan's press secretary.

While his distaste for government made him unwilling to be part of anyone's bureaucracy for very long, Nofziger never was far from a Reagan campaign, whether for governor or for president.

His unorthodox manner grated on Nancy Reagan, a fact Nofziger never hesitated to confirm for any reporter who asked.

Yet in the days after the president was shot, one of the messages Mrs. Reagan received read: "The president was not the only one. You done good, too." It was signed, "Lyn."

In 1988, after he'd left the Reagan administration to capitalize on his ties to Washington's ruling elite, Nofziger was convicted of illegally lobbying for two defense contractors and a labor union.

But Nofziger compared the offense to "running a stop sign" and remained unrepentant. He told the judge, "I cannot show remorse because I do not believe I am guilty."

A year later a federal appeals court threw out the conviction, saying prosecutors had failed to show Nofziger had knowingly committed a crime.

Nofziger's aversion to bureaucratic rules was best illustrated by the White House staff meeting early in the administration when James A. Baker III, the chief of staff, told everyone that even senior presidential aides must wear the distinctive lapel pins that would identify them to the Secret Service.

"I'm not going to wear my badge," declared Nofziger.

Nofziger was born in Bakersfield, California, and was politically conservative by the time he attended high school, where he worked on the school newspaper.

He served three years in the Army during World War II.

Nofziger is survived by his wife, Bonnie, their daughter Glenda and two grandchildren. Another daughter, Suzie, died previously.

Gypsy
03-28-2006, 20:00
My condolences on your personal loss, RL. May Mr. Nofziger rest in peace.

The Reaper
03-28-2006, 20:03
RIP.

TR

MtnGoat
03-28-2006, 20:16
Roguish Lawyer - My condolences for your loss

CoLawman
03-28-2006, 20:45
My condolensces RL!

rubberneck
03-28-2006, 21:11