PDA

View Full Version : Disqualifying?

Aces_&_8s
03-28-2006, 09:27
Hello everyone. Long time lurker in need of some assistance from the experts.
I have come across a little dilemma of sorts.....I had a doctors appointment the other day and they took my blood pressure...it came up a little higher (132/80) than normal. I thought nothing of it, but the doctor after my check-up started talking about it. Asked the normal questions of family history and supplement use (yes to family, no to supplement). Then he started talking about putting me on medication for it! This made me nervous to say the least because I am very fit and training for SF. So I opted to do a 3-day bp check first. I then came home and used the search button here for any similar circumstances and found nothing....then used my "google-fu" and came across Army Regulation 40-501 Standards of Medical Fitness. I then found in this AR,

2-19b (Hypertensive vascular disease (401), evidenced by the average of three consecutive diastolic blood pressure measurements greater than 90 mmHg or three consecutive systolic pressure measurements greater than 140 mmHg. High blood pressure requiring medication or a history of treatment including dietary restriction.)
and
5-3j (Heart and vascular system. Paragraphs 2–18 through 2–19, except for Special Forces training and duty: blood pressure with a preponderant systolic of less than 90 mmHg or greater than 140 mmHg or a preponderant diastolic of less than 60 mmHG or greater than 90 mmHg, regardless of age. Unsatisfactory orthostatic tolerance test is also disqualifying.)

How much "clout" does this have when trying to get to SFAS if on bp meds and would there be a waiver for this. I might be over reacting a little but I really want to get into the ranks of the brotherhood which is known as SF.

Note: Admins please feel free to move to proper place if not already

The Reaper
03-28-2006, 09:33
You have not done much searching here, because one of the very first posts on this board is one of mine sending people to look at AR 40-501 for med questions.

People on BP meds are not going to be attending the SFQC, IMHO.

You need to relax when he is checking your BP and put your mind in your "happy place".

TR

Aces_&_8s
03-28-2006, 09:38
Apologies for over looking in the first searh sir........and I will go to that happy place next time as well.

Daver
03-28-2006, 13:51
Follow TR's advice. Don't come to SFAS on meds.

Team Sergeant
03-28-2006, 14:13
Follow TR's advice. Don't come to SFAS on meds.

The SGM has spoken. Discussion is over.

This thread is closed.

TS