PDA

View Full Version : Waziristan, who do we side with.

Rschoeneck
03-20-2006, 22:21
With Waziristan situated between Pakistan and Afghanistan and a known Taliban refuge, what do we do about it?

Pakistan has commited 80,000 troops to the general area in a not so subtle claim to the territory. And of course Afghanistan is also making a claim to it.

So I guess I am wondering what we are going to do about it. Do we leave it to the Paki's to deal with. So far, even with their level of troop commitment they have not been able to seize total control of the area and it remains a hotbed of Taliban activity up to and including a rumored safe refuge for Osama bin Laden.

Of course, if we let the Paki's take it this could upset our new and fledgling ally in Afghanistan. In addition, I honestly do not think we can commit any additional forces to the area with the current strain on our military.

Creates quite a quandry. We can leave it to the Paki's to try and control even though historically they have not been able to do this. Or we enforce Afghan's will and aid them in taking the area which I believe would alienate Pakistan even more and possibly strain our own resources to the limit.

Any thoughts on this?