PDA

View Full Version : Military Channel

dennisw
03-17-2006, 13:40
Unfortunately I do not remember the specific title of this two part series, but I know it has been aired on at least two occaisions. The description below is extracted from the military channel website:

Follow the 10,000-mile flight of a restored, Vietnam-era Huey to 42 landing zones in eight states across America. The Huey again carries the soldiers who once relied on it for survival.

The program focuses on the trip of this reconditioned Huey Slick as they piloted it from place to place throughout the U.S. Each stop is significant due to the individuals located in that vicinity. It could be a mother and father who lost a son in the Vietnam War and the crew on the Huey during this particular leg consists of folks who were with the fallen warrior when he died. Some trips were folks who had been pulled out of harms way via a Huey and the it may be piloted by same folks involved in the rescue. Some segments reunite comrads who served as pilots or crewchiefs who have not seen each other for thirty some years.

All in all, I found it to be a very moving show and was initially somewhat suprised at the overwhelming emotions attached by the vetrans to the Huey Aircraft. Just the sound of the aircraft in the distance caused many a grizzly vetran to break down in tears. For many, just touching the aircraft was a very powerful moment.

It seemed the whole exercise was cathartic for many vetrans. It was quite a contrast to their original reception upon returning from the war which at best was apathetic, but more often then not, was one of derision. This apathy of the American public appeared to also adversely affect the families of the fallen soldiers, as they never were able to find closure.

By admission of the participants, this project provided a certain amount of healing and closure for many. As I previously mentioned, I found the program to be very moving, and if I could ever figure out how to properly use my dvd recorder, I surly would have recorded it.

Nuke
03-17-2006, 14:58
It was called "IN THE SHADOW OF THE BLADE" and I though it was pretty good too.

The Dave
03-17-2006, 15:44
I tried to catch this last night, about 1 am...but knocked out before. I have no doubt they'll run the show at least 2 to 3 more times before the weekend is up.