PDA

View Full Version : Training for SFRE

marcmmclellan
03-16-2006, 12:51
I am just a wannabe at this point but I am accepting nothing but success.

I have done some research but have not received Get Selected for Special Forces and when I do I will make adjustments. I do not have patience to sit and wait so this post is about what I am doing to prepare and not what I could/should be doing.

I attended the SFRE in Feb 2006 here in Southern California and missed the run and ruck march. I will not fail next time!

This was yesterday's training:

Kettlebell Jerk 32kgx50 (25/25) in 10 min
Jandas 5x5
Pull-ups x5
Front Squats 24kgx10
Pull-ups x5
Front Squats 24kgx10
Pull-ups x5
Front Squats 24kgx10
Pull-ups x5
Front Squats 24kgx10
Pull-ups x5
Front Squats 24kgx10
Kettlebell Snatch 24kgx5x6/6 (60 total in 5 min)

X-vest with 15lbs

Ruck March 7 miles (55lb ruck, 10lb plate and water) 1:58:45 (minus 4 min 30 sec due to waiting for traffic signals).

A few things:

1. I think that it is important to train weighted so I wear my weighted vest.
2. I like the front squats a prehab for knees and leg strength.
3. The Snatches and Jerks are to get me a little wore out. I feel in SFAS and SFQC I will experience this therefore training with that mentality is a must.
4. The ruck was overall pretty good. I am doing a speed ruck march and endurance ruck march each week. This was the endurance. This puts me marching up the hill by the house (I have not been there but I figure all of the SF's training area's are not flat). Again being proactive. The hill was a killer. It was a little slow but I have not trained with a ruck in years so this is a start. My legs felt like jell-O starting the march but IMO this is the time to adjust to this feeling.
5. The one bad thing is I did get some minor blisters. I will adjust my boot setup for next time. I really think the problem was that I skimped on foot powder.

I am sorry that this was not fancy. I used a Large Alice Ruck, issue jungle boots/sock and a weight plate for a weapon. I wanted to be smoked before the march to aid in realism with the equipment that I have.

Thanks for reading and I would appreciate any feedback.

Marc

Razor
03-16-2006, 16:02
Lots of pull-ups and front squats. Was this a normal workout, or were you concentrating on these muscle groups this time around? If this was a normal workout, you might want to include push-ups, sit-ups and distance running, as they're part of the APFT you'll be taking a number of times, and will have to do well on to continue to additional courses.

marcmmclellan
03-16-2006, 16:44
I tend to lose strength easily in pull-ups unless I keep it up. 5 sets of 5 reps weighted for pull-ups is the best for me to improve strength and endurance.

I like the front squats for prehab and strength for the legs and bring on a little fatigue before my ruck march.

I do push-ups 1 day per week 10 sets of 10 weighted. With no practice I can hit 90% on the APFT so this strategy works well for me. I run quite a bit and will do my second running of the LA Marathon on 03/19/2006. It is not in line with training for Special Forces but I registered some time ago and will complete the race as I originally planned.

My time is best spent, in my research, rucking, rucking and more rucking. I will build to rucking the 11 miles over the hill by the house with my feet unscathed then work on speed on speed.

Thanks for reading.

Marc

mffjm8509
03-16-2006, 17:58
I tend to lose strength easily in pull-ups unless I keep it up. 5 sets of 5 reps weighted for pull-ups is the best for me to improve strength and endurance.

For me, wieghted pullups vs. body weight for reps has always produced different results. When in a strength/mass program lower reps with a dumbell slung between my legs has produced good results, but my endurance has always suffered. Seems like when I train to do less than 10 pullups, wieghted or not thats where my muscles fatigue.

A good friend of mine (razor may recall Johny G), sold me on a program of simple sets of 10 for pullups. Over the course of 10 sets you'll do up to 100 reps. Normally you'll hit 10 easily in your first few sets, then experience some fatigue over the middle sets. Toward the end, you'll be surprised at how your body recovers and are doing reps up to 10 again, kind of weird. Replace your normal pull up workout with this, or your back workout and you'll see great improvement on your pullups.

A similar workout with pushups is to do 10 sets of 25. I do this 3x a week, and place them in such a way that I do them the morning after I bench or work shoulders. Not only does it work well for developing muscular endurance for that particular exercise, but it acts as a good recovery exercise after a heavy lift day.

anyway, just my .02

mp

marcmmclellan
03-16-2006, 19:25
This is a little beyond the intent of my post but here goes.

I have struggled with the subject of pull-ups. I have done GTG for 10 sets of 10 pull-ups spread throughout the day 5 days per week. I did 20 of the easiest pull-ups after 6 weeks on this program. I was however, weak in pull-ups in terms of limit strength. I was doing the 5x5 routine 2x per week working up to sets of 5 with 25lbs (rest was about 1 min or so). During the Tactical Strength Challenge in January, I did 10 reps with an additional 10kg of weight. I could do 20 to 22 pull-ups easy with training 2x per week weighted 5x5. Much bigger return of investment on the 5x5. I have druged up near shear "clifts" in the jungle carrying all of my gear having only vines and branches in which to hold and climb. The strength/endurance 5x5 for pull-ups is the way to go for me.

With no training I can do 60 to 70 push-ups. I incorporated push-ups to my training as I am shooting to max everything on the SFRE.

Marc

18C4V
03-17-2006, 01:37
Did you get the flyer for the next tryouts in Ca? If not, PM me with your email address and I'll send you a flyer.

Croooz
03-17-2006, 08:50
There is a rucking & KB routine. It a 13 week program that a PJ came up with. Looks pretty good, I'm healing up from an injury but once I'm done this program is the one I'll do.

If your interested you can go to specialtactics and find it. To make it easy....
"Documents, selection packages...."
"Kettlebell Modified SF Selection Workout"

Give it a look and see for yourself. It's all rucking and KB's with a few runs, swims, and bike thrown in.

Razor
03-17-2006, 10:22
If I'm getting ready to take a math test, I generally try to study the applicable math lessons I expect to be on the test, and don't spend much time reviewing Cossack history. I'm sure the rucking/kettlebell workout is a real smoker, but since Mr. McClellan has some very specific physical tests he'll need to pass to get where he wants to go, he may be well advised to employ a bit of related specificity to his preparation and integrate those graded events.

Marc, have you ever had the 60-70 push-ups you can perform with no training evaluated by someone that's administered an actual APFT, to standard? You may be surprised to find that what you consider 70 'good' push-ups equals about 35 or less when graded by someone other than yourself. Just something to consider.

marcmmclellan
03-17-2006, 12:15
Yes sir.

I attended an Official SFRE here in Southern California in Feb 2006. I did 65 (or 67) with no training. I think I did 74 or 75 sit-ups with not training.

This workout posted represents a portion of my training. Focusing on my weaknesses and maintaining areas of strength. For instance, I do not swim as I can do it quickly, easily, and for a long time with or without gear.

I wanted to post a workout for other guys in the same boat as me. I have read TONS of posts by the mods and the other operators regarding how rucking is an important issue.

I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Marc

The Reaper
03-17-2006, 12:25
Marc:

I would agree with Razor.

Being proficient at the APFT tasks, rope climbing, pull-ups, short to medium distance runs, and above all rucking cross-country are much more important to your overall potential success at SFAS than marathons, squats, or exotic exercises.

While some events have complementary lifts or exercises, there is no substitute for doing the actual events to standard, as many as you can, as fast as you can, to just short of failure.

There will be no cheerleaders or standards given at SFAS. You will hear, "Do the best that you can" a lot.

Good luck.

TR

Stiletto11
03-17-2006, 19:23
Marc

You might get a grader that won't count outloud the reps for pu's and su's. So you walk away not knowing how many he wrote down. Food for thought.

18C4V
03-17-2006, 20:08
Flyer sent to your email address.

SRT31B
03-22-2006, 21:00
Marc,

Did you ever get your copy of GET SELECTED? If not I would be more than happy to share some of the tips/suggestions I got out of reading it, as well as share some of the workout routines that I am currently doing and books that I've read on the subject to give you some more ideas for training.

Bull

CoLawman
03-22-2006, 21:13
Marc,

Did you ever get your copy of GET SELECTED? If not I would be more than happy to share some of the tips/suggestions I got out of reading it, as well as share some of the workout routines that I am currently doing and books that I've read on the subject to give you some more ideas for training.

Bull

Stepping out of my lane here, and apologize.

All proceeds from "Get Selected" are donated to the WARRIOR FOUNDATION by the author. Everytime you loan, give away, or sell it..........you are personally preventing the Foundation from receiving a benefit intended by the author.

NousDefionsDoc
03-22-2006, 21:26
Cossack history Brother Razor? :)

marcmmclellan
03-22-2006, 21:30
I will get my book soon.

I have scoured through this site and others regarding training, prep, etc.

I am confidant without the book.

I am interested in the book for the donation to the cause.

JMO,

Marc

Team Sergeant
03-22-2006, 21:38
There is a rucking & KB routine. It a 13 week program that a PJ came up with.

A PJ? You're talking about a AF guy that rides in a helicopter most of his career and you're going to use his workout? Good luck. I'm betting you go far.:rolleyes:

Do me a favor, don't give workout advice on this board, ever.

Team Sergeant

SRT31B
03-23-2006, 07:04
Thats a good point that I had not thought of at the time of my last post (had just come off a 16 hour shift). You've got the book on the way and thats excellent. Once it gets there you will be able to learn some great things to help get you ready for selection.

As far as your workouts go, I didn't know too much of anything when it came to weight training/good nutrition before I started getting serious about it. I happened across a book called "The Power That Moves Muscle." It is a good reference for begginers as well as having intermediate and advanced workouts. It even goes into nutrition and as far as to show you some different meal plans to suit your goals. It may give you the ideas you need to accomplish the goals you have for you training program.

Just a thought.

Daver
03-23-2006, 17:57
Yes sir.

I attended an Official SFRE here in Southern California in Feb 2006. I did 65 (or 67) with no training. I think I did 74 or 75 sit-ups with not training.

This workout posted represents a portion of my training. Focusing on my weaknesses and maintaining areas of strength. For instance, I do not swim as I can do it quickly, easily, and for a long time with or without gear.

I wanted to post a workout for other guys in the same boat as me. I have read TONS of posts by the mods and the other operators regarding how rucking is an important issue.

I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Marc

Marc,
Ruck ALOT!!! Then ruck some more...ALOT!!! In fact, just ruck to work if it's close enough....carry your laptop with you if neccessary but RUCK!! But...almost as important to rucking..actually more so, make sure you have a true "Team" attitude and "Play well with others" or else all the rucking in the world won't get you selected. The Regiment wants strong, smart, very fit guys with a PERSONALITY to be a true team player!
Good Luck!

Warrior-Mentor
03-23-2006, 22:11
Marc,
... just ruck to work if it's close enough....

What constitutes close enough? I rucked to PT when I was in El Paso on more than one occasion...was 14 miles one way. Had to get up around 0200 IIRC. Just a metter of figuring out what you want to do for a living...

marcmmclellan
03-23-2006, 22:52
Sir,
I work on Terminal Island, CA at a Federal Prison which is 28 miles and 3 freeways from my house. Foot traffic is not authorized on any of the 3 bridges onto Terminal Island. Besides, I need to be a little fresh at work in case something kicks off.

I have made adjustments to this limitation and have set aside time to make it happen anyway. I am committed to becoming a Special Forces Soldier.

Marc

Razor
03-24-2006, 11:46
What constitutes close enough? I rucked to PT when I was in El Paso on more than one occasion...was 14 miles one way. Had to get up around 0200 IIRC. Just a matter of figuring out what you want to do for a living...

Hear-hear!

Warrior-Mentor
03-24-2006, 16:20
Sir,
28 miles and 3 freeways from my house.

That's a hoof.

Daver
03-24-2006, 20:57
What constitutes close enough? I rucked to PT when I was in El Paso on more than one occasion...was 14 miles one way. Had to get up around 0200 IIRC. Just a metter of figuring out what you want to do for a living...

Agree....Back when I was in SWC several years ago we had a guy at Phase III who lived in Hamlet and rucked to Mackall and back home 2 to 3 times per week for a few months. He was preparing for a new duty in a new location and was damned sure he would not be lacking in his ruck abilities. I guess it's all what you want and what it's worth to you and the level of effort you will go through to achieve it.

TFM
03-25-2006, 03:37
Marc:

Being proficient at the APFT tasks, rope climbing, pull-ups, short to medium distance runs, and above all rucking cross-country are much more important to your overall potential success at SFAS than marathons, squats, or exotic exercises.

While some events have complementary lifts or exercises, there is no substitute for doing the actual events to standard, as many as you can, as fast as you can, to just short of failure.

TR
This is where the money is. In the US Army this is the meat and potatoes. If you wanna cross-train do some bear crawls, crab walks, grab a buddy to do some fireman carries, high crawl, etc. These exercises also have their purpose, and I wouldn't be suprised if you end up having to do them down the road.

TFM

18C4V
03-25-2006, 03:48
That's a hoof.

that's a good one sir!!!

Well,
Our next tryouts are in June so we'll see if he makes it. I'll be OCONUS during that time frame.......look out SFA 3!!!!!!!:D

TooTall
09-12-2007, 23:30
I took a look at the list here and noticed an awful lot of squats. Now I used to fence and should be getting back to a Rugby team tomorrow so I'm very fond of squats. I have heard from many sources that doing squats with your ruck on is good prep for road marching. However, "Get Selected" mentioned a correlation between good squat performance and low run times. Did I read this right? I'd rather be a good rucker (with a pack or on the pitch) than max my run, but at the same time my run time is my weakness in pt these days and I don't want it dropping any more than it has since I started more disciplined upper body workouts and put on a few pounds of muscle. Your advice professionals?

The Reaper
09-13-2007, 04:59
Run and ruck more.

TR

hoot72
09-13-2007, 08:22
Given I live in one of the most, if not THE most humid infested frying pan's in the world, if one were to migrate from colder climates to asia, would you agree the smart thing to do to adjust to the heat and humidity is to get out and train in the heat smartly (i.e. re-hydrating and keeping yourself covered) and putting in the miles and trying to get a good solid ruck in regardless of the time of day (i.e. a good solid 15-25 kilometer ruck) on a consistent basis?

Or does that not really make a difference? You either are fit or you're not.

B219
09-13-2007, 10:56
Hoot72,

Physical fitness goes without saying... but acclimation is not a myth.

hoot72
09-13-2007, 17:35
Hoot72,

Physical fitness goes without saying... but acclimation is not a myth.

Fair enough...

sm_1
02-12-2008, 18:59
google crossfit and give that a shot for a good smoke session