PDA

View Full Version : Chinese military trains in West

Airbornelawyer
03-15-2006, 16:54
Chinese military trains in West

China is stepping up military training in Latin America because of a law that limits U.S. military support to nations in the region, the general in charge of the U.S. Southern Command told Congress yesterday.

Gen. Bantz J. Craddock, who oversees U.S. military activities in the region, said a lack of engagement on the part of the United States has benefited China.

"If we are not there and we can't provide this opportunity, someone else will," Gen. Craddock told the Senate Armed Services Committee.

"Other nations are moving in. The People's Republic of China has made many offers, and now we are seeing those who formerly would come to the United States going to China."

The growing Chinese role comes amid numerous high-level visits by its leaders and other activities aimed at building military and economic ties to leftist governments and other states in a strategic region long-considered within the U.S. sphere of influence.

... [more follows]
http://washingtontimes.com/functions/print.php?StoryID=20060315-124307-7370r

aricbcool
03-15-2006, 19:12
Interesting article AL. Thanks for posting it.

My question to everyone is...

Is there really a competition factor involved in training foreign soldiers? That is to say, if we train foreign soldiers, does that somehow stop them from also getting training from the Chinese?

It would seem that receiving training from the US and training from China are not mutually exclusive...

Thoughts?
Aric

Martin
03-16-2006, 04:42
Aric, I would think that besides perceiving a political competition from China, the follow up of training could be a concern. China is probably not giving away free training for the prosperousness and security of the receiving party, rather that there is trade, security agreements and political leverage involved
Martin

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-16-2006, 14:26
Interesting article AL. Thanks for posting it.

My question to everyone is...

Is there really a competition factor involved in training foreign soldiers? That is to say, if we train foreign soldiers, does that somehow stop them from also getting training from the Chinese?

It would seem that receiving training from the US and training from China are not mutually exclusive...

Thoughts?
Aric

It has less to do with the training of military soldiers and more to do with the establishment of soldier to soldier contacts that will pay dividends in the out years. It also has a lot to do with the shaping of future battlespace(s) that will support our national interests. To go beyond that is outside the scope of this forum.

aricbcool
03-16-2006, 17:32
Aric, I would think that besides perceiving a political competition from China, the follow up of training could be a concern. China is probably not giving away free training for the prosperousness and security of the receiving party, rather that there is trade, security agreements and political leverage involved
Martin

That's a good point. Conversely, one can assume that the US follows similar arrangements (which I imply from Col. Moroney's post below re: shaping future battlespaces.) Thanks Martin.

It has less to do with the training of military soldiers and more to do with the establishment of soldier to soldier contacts that will pay dividends in the out years. It also has a lot to do with the shaping of future battlespace(s) that will support our national interests. To go beyond that is outside the scope of this forum.

Sir,

Thanks for the reply. The points you mentioned bring to light the real importance behind keeping these training programs open.

Thanks again,
Aric