PDA

View Full Version : Gorgonzola cream sauce

brewmonkey
03-14-2006, 10:29
I made this using gorgonzola but you can use your favorite blue cheese instead.

1 tbs butter (margarine will work but the flavor may be off)
1 tbs flour
2 cups milk
3oz gorgonzola

For the milk you can substitute just about any cream or milk. For a richer sauce use heavy cream but as I am watching my calorie intake I used a fat free half and half which worked quite well.

In a small saucepan melt the butter and then add the flour and combine to make your Roux.

When the roux comes together, over a medium high heat add the milk/cream and whisk the roux into solution. Keep stirring and watch your heat to prevent burning.

Once the roux has disolved you will notice the mixture starts thickening. You can know add your blue cheese and stir until it is melted.

Continue to stir for about 1 minute or until you feel the sauce is as thick as you would like it to be, it should stick to the back of a spoon.

If you would like you can add your favorite herbs/spices to give this a bit more depth as well you can also add small amounts (1/2 oz) of some of the hard cheeses like Asiago, Pecorino Romano etc...

You can serve this over Chicken and pasta instead of a traditional red sauce.

Warrior-Mentor
03-14-2006, 11:05
1 tbs butter (margarine will work but the flavor may be off)
1 tbs flour
2 cups milk
3oz gorgonzola

I can feel my arteries hardening already...

Roguish Lawyer
03-20-2006, 15:57
I tried it. Pretty good. I only had 1 cup of half and half, and used a cup of 1% milk. Had to add some corn starch, a little more butter and another 2ozs of cheese. Poured the sauce over broiled skewers of scallops wrapped in bacon which I marinated in a store-bought mesquite sauce. Next time, I won't marinate and I'll broil longer and serve the cream sauce on the side so it won't soften the scallops. I like scallops to be a little crispy.

JMI
04-14-2006, 20:41
Sounds delicious.