PDA

View Full Version : The Armed Forces Officer

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-09-2006, 15:03
I came across my old copy of this DA Pam 600-2 which was printed in1950. It is essentially a manual on leadership that was prepared for use by all services and has a lot of good guidance in it and should be mandatory reading for all those who aspire to serve as commissioned officers. I think the best thing about this book is that it was written when leadership was just that and had not yet been redefined by those that thought military officers should pattern themselves after civilian business moguls and "master's degrees" in leadership were won on the battlefield and in the trenches from the Univeristy of Adversity and not awarded by prestigious business schools.

Martin
05-29-2006, 14:26
Sir, may I ask who were your most important role models? If possible, please mention someone who has a memoir or alike written.

I am reading the above book, it's excellent. Thanks!

Martin

NousDefionsDoc
05-29-2006, 19:05
Sir's role model can't type - too many years pounding on manhole covers....:D

Jack Moroney (RIP)
05-29-2006, 19:09
Sir, may I ask who were your most important role models?

This may sound strange, but I never had any role models. I decided early on what being an officer was all about, set my goals and worked to be the best officer I could. I think, while role models might play an important part for some professions and for some folks, for me it was more important to understand myself, my profession, and mould my own "model" to commit to what I considered to be awesome responsibilities . I never wished to "be like" anyone or wanted to "be identified like anyone", and most of my "lessons in leadership and how to be an officer" came from many outstanding non-commissioned officers and soldiers with whom I had the priviledge to serve.

Martin
05-30-2006, 03:02
Not strange at all, Sir. Thanks a lot!

Martin